9x06 Heaven Can't Wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9x06 Heaven Can't Wait

So, I was dreading this episode. After the abomination that was 9x03 and the spoilers/interviews I had been reading, I was at the point of not even wanting to watch for fear of what the show would do to further ruin my favourite character (Castiel, for those who don't know)..... but in the end the episode turned out so much better than I expected. Which is good!

It was a strange episode... sort of mytharc-y, but character-focused and slow-paced at the same time. I think it was one of the best episodes this season, which is not saying much, since this season is not exactly stellar so far. But more on that later.

This was a strong introduction for the new writer, Berens. His writing was at least respectful of canon and of the characters, and there was no unnecessary crass "humour". That's all I ask from this show at this point. I have lowered my standard that much. More from this writer, please, and less from the Nepotism Duo.

I was relieved that Berens didn't overdo the awful and trite "bumbling, naive" Cas. Sure, Cas was still a bit off, but he didn't make a fool of himself like I feared, and was shown to be mostly competent and dignified in his new, difficult situation. It wa sa nice character study.... Cas is adapting, but the convenience store is clearly not where he belongs, and despite his proclamations that he failed as an angel (poor baby, you kinda did) and that he has a second chance as a human, it's clear that he longs to help his fallen brothers and sisters, and soon he'll have to make a chioice.

Ephraim was a very interesting angel/villain. It showed once again how angels are not all necessarily evil, many are just misguided and without direction.

There were some pointless things here (too much convenience store stuff... by the way, they don't explain how the heck Cas managed to get that job... oh well, I'll buy because I have to), the misunderstanding about the date/Cas and the baby...I know we are supposed to find it cute, and many people did, but I don't want to watch a romcom when I tune in on SN! I hope the Cas romcom is over now, because that's not what I want from his storyline. In season 8, when I was rooting for him to fall, this is not the scenario I was envisioning... nor was a human Cas (too powerful as an angel to be with the brothers on a regular bases) kept away from the brothers even more than he was when he was all powerful.

This is all so disappointing, I'm losing the will to keep watching.

I have so many problems with this season, and those problems carried onto this episode as well, but it's not Berens' fault... he obviously tried to do his best with the WTF material he has been given. My general problem with the show kinda impacted on my enjoyment of the episode. Despite being Dean/Cas centric, I couldn't honestly enjoy it because of the awfulness of the whole thing.

WARNING: RANT AHEAD

I can't get over how this show has to resort to damaging the characters, twisting them and making them behave out of characters/like dicks in order to further the plot. The writers sacrifice the characters at the altar of (contrived) drama. They can't write a plot without manufacturing some lame and improbable scenario that poisons everything.

In season 8 it was the stupid decision to have Sam not look for Dean at all (when it would have sufficed to say he did look into it, but couldn't find a solution, and decided to do the only thing a sane person can do, i.e moving on with his life), abandoning Kevin to his fate, and then being a jerk to Benny.... don't let me start ranting about all this.

And now it's Dean's turn. I don't get why Carver and co do the things they do. They didn't have to make Sam not go through with the last trial in order not to die, only for him to be dying anyway. To save him, they didn't need to come up with Ezekiel and the noncon possession, and if they really had to, they didn't have to have Zeke give an ultimatum to Dean, which resulted in Cas being thrown out on his own.

If their purpose is to make Dean look like an ass*ole, they are doing a good job.

As a fan of the Dean/Cas friendship, this season is making me want to quit. There's nothing left, they destroyed everything. And no amount of Dean hypocritically giving Cas the gazillionth fake "we are family" speech will ever make me believe in it again.

Okay, Dean had no choice. It was either Cas or Ezekiel, so he had to send Cas away. But he could at least have given him some money, some fake credit card, sent him to Garth, set him up in a motel somewhere, given him a cell phone to be able to keep in touch... something. But apparently no, he just kicked him to the wolves (without explanation) and that's it. He spent the following weeks curled up comfortably in his robe in his giant, impenetrable bunker with Samekiel, Kevin, Crowley, Charlie, etc Ozzing and dogging while hunted Cas was out there alone with nowhere to go, to fend for himself.

That's how family treat each other, obviously.

The way Cas must be feeling... he must be thinking that Dean - his only friend/connection on earth - only ever wanted him around because of his powers, and now he has no use for him. Poor guy.

This is how he should have reacted when he saw Dean in this episode:

LOL

If Dean even remotely gives a crap about Cas (which I really doubt at this point. Dean doesn't even care about himself, the only person that matters is Sam. Still. ), how can he be okay with this? How can he leave his supposed friend, who has no one else on the planet, who's being hunted by thousands of powerful supernatural beings and who Dean has already witnessed being killed, out there on his own with no support network, and go on with his stuff with seemingly no concerns? Even regular people on the MotW episode receive more protection and regard from Dean.

And at the end of 9x06, after saving Cas again, Dean leaves again (after having looked down on Cas/mocked Cas for his job at the store. Classy, Dean. Can you provide better alternatives? No? Shut up, then!). Cas could end up dead any minute, but I guess that's okay.

I don't believe this is the real Dean. I believe this is dick!contrivedplotcarrying!Carver!Dean. Will we ever get real!Dean back?? Maybe when this particula Zeke plot is over, but maybe it will be too late to repair the damage for this viewer.

Have I mentioned this show sucks?? No? Well, it does, but I can't quit.

So, good episode, but I can't fully enjoy it because of the reasons above.

ETA: Oh, I forgot. There was also the Crowley/Sam/Kevin stuff. Liked it, they make a cool team. I'm very interested to see what is up with Crawley.. secretly injecting himself to become more human??

I don't believe the spell is irreversible..they'll find a loophole, they always do.
    Last edited by Francy; 13-11-13, 06:26 PM.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

So this week's episode had two serious disadvantages for me right from the start: I knew that it would focus on Cas, a character that I'm not particularly fond of, and I knew that the brothers would be separated for most of the episode. While it's not the end of the world if Sam and Dean are not together for a full episode, it will pretty much gurantee that it's not gonna be an episode that I will care for all that much and/or one that I will rewatch often because as much as the writers have screwed up the brotherly bond, it's still the primary thing that keeps me watching this show.

As someone who is not invested in the character of Castiel, I found this episode mostly boring and slow-paced. Human Cas' experiences and adventures don't do much for me and I found moments which probably made Cas fans squee (such as him singing to the baby) mostly just meh. And since I'm so over the angel storylines on this show, the MOTW did not thrill me that much either.

I was much more interested in the Sam, Kevin and Crowley storyline. I thought it was a bit careless of Sam and Kevin to let Crowley make that call to Abbadon (although yay for her short appearance because she is awesome!). You cannot trust Crowley, haven't they learned that by now? And whose blood was Crowley injecting, Kevin's or Sam's? If it was Kevin's that makes no sense. My take on the situation was that Kevin just filled one syringe for Crowley to make the call. Why would there be more syringes with Kevin's blood? And what about Kevin's blood is so special? Does Crowley just crave to have human emotions again or is prophet blood special somehow? If it was Sam's blood, does Crowley know about Zeke and thus crave Sam's blood? For the first time in a very long time I'm actually interested in a Crowley storyline again. Colour me surprised! And yay for an episode without Zeke magically healing everyone!

Originally posted by Francy View Post
    Okay, Dean had no choice. It was either Cas or Ezekiel, so he had to send Cas away. But he could at least have given him some money, some fake credit card, sent him to Garth, set him up in a motel somewhere, given him a cell phone to be able to keep in touch... something. But apparently no, he just kicked him to the wolves (without explanation) and that's it.
    As much as I love Dean, I have to agree with you on this. That's not how you treat a very good friend. I get why Dean felt he had to kick Cas out of the bunker (Sam always comes first for Dean) but leaving Cas penniless and without any other means to help him survive was a pretty douchey thing to do on Dean's part. Thank you, writers, for further dismantling Dean's character!

And at the end of 9x06, after saving Cas again, Dean leaves again (after having looked down on Cas/mocked Cas for his job at the store. Classy, Dean. Can you provide better alternatives? No? Shut up, then!). Cas could end up dead any minute, but I guess that's okay.
    I didn't see the scene where Dean first comes into the convenience store and sees Cas working there like this at all. Granted I tend to see things from Dean's perspective and am biased in his favour but to me it felt more like it hurt and angered Dean to see someone he has always known as an all powerful angel do such demeaning work. And no, Cas, there is no dignity in cleaning the toilet! This new Cas did not go with the picture Dean had of him, I guess Dean's not fully adjusted to human Cas yet either. IMO Dean thought that Cas was hiding from his true purpose by living this mundane life. For Dean, it's about the mission and it has been since he was a child so he finds people turning from the mission hard to understand (see his disbelief and outrage last season when Sam quit hunting). However, once Dean realised that this was the new Cas and this is what he wanted (to lead a normal life, to use that tired phrase again), he backed off. He even apologised to Cas and told him he was proud of him. So I think Dean expressing his disbelief and displeasure with Cas' choice of profession said more about Dean's view of Cas as he had it in his head (the powerful angel, ally and warrior) and about his sense of duty to fight evil than Dean making fun of Cas on purpose. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.

Comment

I want to know how Cas got that job without any real identification, SSN, or anything. Did he steal someone's identity?

I also don't understand why Dean can't tell him about Sam. Sam was off back in the bunker - so he wasn't in earshot or anything to overhear.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post

I didn't see the scene where Dean first comes into the convenience store and sees Cas working there like this at all. Granted I tend to see things from Dean's perspective and am biased in his favour but to me it felt more like it hurt and angered Dean to see someone he has always known as an all powerful angel do such demeaning work. And no, Cas, there is no dignity in cleaning the toilet! This new Cas did not go with the picture Dean had of him, I guess Dean's not fully adjusted to human Cas yet either. IMO Dean thought that Cas was hiding from his true purpose by living this mundane life. For Dean, it's about the mission and it has been since he was a child so he finds people turning from the mission hard to understand (see his disbelief and outrage last season when Sam quit hunting). However, once Dean realised that this was the new Cas and this is what he wanted (to lead a normal life, to use that tired phrase again), he backed off. He even apologised to Cas and told him he was proud of him. So I think Dean expressing his disbelief and displeasure with Cas' choice of profession said more about Dean's view of Cas as he had it in his head (the powerful angel, ally and warrior) and about his sense of duty to fight evil than Dean making fun of Cas on purpose. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.
        This is all true and I agree... but it still annoyed me. Since he kicked Cas out without giving him financial help or connections that could help him survive, Dean absolutely has no business criticizing or even just marveling at the menial but honest job that Cas - newly human and with no diploma - was lucky enough to find. It may be beneath Cas.. but what else was Dean expecting?

If he wanted Cas to focus on the mission he should have least have helped him with the survival aspect, since Cas can't be expected to hunt alone and while starving.

I don't know, it's a small thing (certainly not the worst deed any of our guys has committed), but it rubbed me the wrong way, probably compounded by my current other gripes with Dean.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
        Icon by xiperita

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini9857 View Post
          I want to know how Cas got that job without any real identification, SSN, or anything. Did he steal someone's identity?
          Maybe he learned a few things about creating fake IDs from Sam and Dean?

I also don't understand why Dean can't tell him about Sam. Sam was off back in the bunker - so he wasn't in earshot or anything to overhear.
          Because Dean doesn't want anyone to know what he did to Sam. Deep down Dean knows what he did was very wrong and he knows that Cas would tell him so if he told him about Sam and Zeke and Dean cannot deal with that. I think Dean is ashamed of his decision and the longer Zeke stays in Sam's body, the more Dean is questioning what he did.

Comment

Every time I see a scene about Dean's guilt that he tricked Sam into this Ezekiel business it just reminds me of how stupid and pointless all of it was- to have stopped doing the trials that would have rid the world of demons forever in order to save Sam, then to have that not work since Sam was going to die anyway... And then when Sam finally decides that maybe he's ready to die, Dean tricks him in order to keep him alive. At this point, it's like they're stuck on a perpetual round-about of codependency and dysfunction, with a persistent inability to put the interest of rest of the world ahead of their obsessive need to protect or save each other. It's getting so repetitive!

Comment

Working...
            X