Moonlight: Season 1 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
    Aw, when you see Jason can you beg him to stay on the show while you're at it? Because I've heard people saying horrible things like that if they do move production to NY to cut costs (which is a possibility), that he wouldn't want to relocate, and that he might not want to leave the networks anyway, b/c he wouldn't get as much exposure on a cable show.....but I think that's crazy, why wouldn't you want to stay on such a great show, if it got picked up elsewhere?!

It sucks, b/c if he did leave the show after it got picked up with all our hard work.....well, it wouldn't be ML without him!
    :O I haven't read that! That's insane! Moonlight without Jason? That's just crazy talk! I'll ask and see what he says... but if there's no news in two weeks time I guess it's unlikely we'll actually get a season two anyway, Which sucks!
    SJ
    xox
    sigpic
    Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

• Originally posted by slaycandy View Post
      :O I haven't read that! That's insane! Moonlight without Jason? That's just crazy talk! I'll ask and see what he says... but if there's no news in two weeks time I guess it's unlikely we'll actually get a season two anyway, Which sucks!
      SJ
      xox
      I don't know if I'd say it's completely over in two weeks....I've heard it took the Jericho people 3 weeks of hard campaigning to get CBS to reconsider!

But yeah, it's so annoying and sad that we have to do this at all....
      Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
        And for those who have seen the whole show, apparently from the teaer trailer they've been showing prospective new networks, these are their plans for season 2, if we get one--it sounds AWESOME, and does kind of answer that little cliffhanger in the finale to some degree (so everyone might want to read it in case the show doesn't come back, so you won't be left hanging!):

Spoiler:
        Humans sent the list of vampires to Talbot. These humans belong to a group called the Legion that has been around as long as vampires have been around (kind of like the Watchers in Highlander, but more deadly). They see their job as keeping the vampire population manageable, so whenever vampire populations threaten to grow too large (by whatever their definition of too large is), they will cull the flock. Besides the French Revolution, other famous historical events were also really vampire cullings.

The theme of season two would be "vampire apocalypse" -- the Legion has decided that there are way too many vampires in LA and has marked Mick, Josef and others for a culling. The human/vampire relationship would become an us vs. them that forces Mick to choose sides. Lance and Coraline would be back. Mick may not want anything to do with Lance and Coraline but "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" -- if Mick isn't on Lance's side, he would essentially be saying that he's on the Legion's side, which of course would be suicidal.

This show just HAS to be renewed!
        Thank you for posting this, sherrilina! It's funny, I was just rewatching the season finale today and cursing CBS for cancelling the show when they left such a cliffhanger in the finale. Of course I'm cursing CBS daily so nothing new there but still.
        Spoiler:
        I love what the writers have planned for season 2 if there ever is gonna be one. Not only will such a vampires vs. humans war be very gripping and action-packed, it will also cause friction in the Mick/Beth relationship, which could make for very interesting drama. It would be fascinating to see how Beth would behave in such a situation, whether she would side with Mick & co. or with the humans. And I guess Coraline being back would also cause some problems between Mick and Beth. Plus I'm sure we would learn more about Coraline's history, there is so much we still don't know. Same goes for Josef.

And damn, I hope Jason is not serious about leaving the show if it does get renewed. I'm with SJ on this, Moonlight without Jason is just not the same.

Comment

• Well the producers talked a little more, and here are some more spoilers for season 2, if we get one.....though you may want to wait until we know one way or another before you look at them, and only look at them if the show doesn't get picked up if you don't want to know....these are more hardcore spoilers..... Though it's hard to resist when it's all so up in the air anyway, and any news is welcome....

Spoiler:
          1) Officially DEAD: Ryder, Lt.Carl, and ..brace yourselves...Sarah Whitley. Yep he said they are all done, though wouldn't reveal how they ended up gone...

2) Simone, Josef's freshie, was to be a big part of the season, however the actress playing her failed to mention she's pregnant, so they're not sure about what to do with that.

3) Beth IS indeed part of the French Royal bloodline and she does hold the key to the cure which is why she was kidnapped. He also said that because of this Beth CAN NOT be turned. Whether that means she can't because it wouldn't work or it can't because she would die was left up in the air...

EDIT: Okay guys, here's an update on the situation, if you haven't seen it elsewhere....

Leeser has asked me to pass along that our focus now should #1 be aimed at the Sci-Fi Network. Per 'Those Who Know' who visited the Con, the CW is no longer a viable option, but SciFi is VERY MUCH an option.

As of this morning, Leeser has posted a critical message regarding funding - we've been asked to approach DirecTV for help in funding the show. For details, go to: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8349&start=0

PLEASE READ HER EMAIL CAREFULLY.

Send emails to: the101@direcTV.com

After emailing, also send snail mail to DirecTV at:

CA Office:
          2230 East Imperial Highway
          El Segundo, CA 90245

NY Office:
          1211 Avenue of the Americas
          6th Floor
          New York, NY 10036

Continue to send SNAIL MAIL ONLY to:

SCI FI Channel
          21st Floor
          30 Rockefeller Plaza
          New York, NY 10112

David Howe, President
          Mark Stern, Vice President of Programming
          Thomas Vitale, Senior Vice President of Programming

Please don't address your letters to Bonnie Hammer. She stepped down as Pres. of SciFi back in January. David Howe is now President.

Time is of the essence - and letters and postcards carry far more weight at this point. Send them from home...from work....while on vacation. Different postmarks!

TELL THEM YOU'RE ONE OF THE 8 MILLION-PLUS VIEWERS WHO WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND VIEWERSHIP AND FOLLOW MOONLIGHT!
          And...

Also, contact Moonlight's sponsors. Tell them that you are the person in your household that makes the buying decisions, that you love their products, but that since CBS has cancelled Moonlight, you will no longer be buying their product. HOWEVER, if they'll pledge to advertise on whatever network picks up Moonlight, that you'll begin buying their product again.

ALWAYS be polite....never threatening.

Follow this link to a current list of advertisers. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7652

As we confirmed on our WB Tour on Friday, the FoS and Beth's apartments are still up. They are being disassembed and archived starting on Tuesday, but not destroyed...a process called "fold and hold", which allows them to be brought back or handed to another production facility.

Please note: all the other networks (FX, USA, TNT) haven't said no...they just aren't in actual negotiations with WB and Silver Pictures! You can continue to send letters, postcards or emails/feedback to them if you'd like. Stay tuned for more updates as they come in!
          As for the DirecTV thing, essentially we need more money for ML than Sci-Fi can give--so we want DirecTV as a sponser, and they want to distinguish themselves as looking out for users' interests! So....email them too!

So, this is the Big Announcement.

We have been noticing the threads suggesting that the fans could subsidise the remaining funds for the production of Moonlight. While that is a wonderful thought in theory, for many reasons it would not be likely to happen. Instead we may have found another option.

As most are aware, NBC recently sealed a deal with DirecTV to bring Friday Night Lights back to life, NBC’s critically acclaimed but ratings starved Friday night high school melodrama. The deal struck allows for DirecTV to air new episodes of Friday Night Lights in October, 2008, most likely on its High-def channel 101. NBC and its affiliates such as Universal HD would air the episodes starting in January, 2009.

We believe that a campaign to solicit DirecTV interest in pursuing a similar arrangement could be beneficial and profitable to the satellite provider, as well as the WB and Silver Pictures. However, our efforts will differ in that it is not the network or studio that is approaching DirecTV, but rather the fans.

Recently, DirectTV has undertaken an aggressive marketing campaign to heighten public awareness. They are trying to distinguish themselves from its rival on content as well as price and seem to be willing to spend the money to do it. Our approach will definitely be different in that NBC approached DirecTV. Since this would be a grassroots fan campaign, it will have a different marketing spin for DirecTV. How many satellite companies can say that they’ve got fans approaching them about saving their show?

It has come to my attention that financing is a big stumbling block in the potential pickup of our show. The show costs about 2.6 million +/- to make and networks are only willing to pony up about 1.5 million of what is needed. That's not good. To get the quality show we have come to expect, 1.5m isn't going to do it. Not by a long shot.

Thus, we are starting a grassroots fan campaign to get corporate sponsors to come on board and make a financial commitment to support Moonlight.

We are going at this much in the same way that NBC approached DirecTV to support their show "Friday Night Lights", though instead of a corporate contact, we're doing this as fans. DirecTV came through with financing to help out that show.

Be polite, thoughtful and encouraging when you contact these people. Stress the numbers: this show has 7.5 to 8 million viewers, that the show reached the desired 18-49 demographic, that it consistently helped CBS to win Friday nights and that loyal fans will go to/remain with any advertiser that supports their favorite show.

Right now, SciFi is definitely showing interest in our show. Let's show them how much we love it!
          Last edited by sherrilina; 28-05-08, 07:34 AM.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Oh i really loved the penultimate episode last night, I have put this in a spoiler tag, just in case but it is just about last nights episode.

Spoiler:
            I thought it was really gripping. I was quite sad at the end though when he found out that he didn't have a son, because you could see how much he really wanted a family but i think in the long run it worked out for the best, because that news would just mess up anybodies life.

But yeah i really good episode, really emotional and gripping. i can't wait for next weeks, should be really good, last i the series and all. But here’s hoping we do get a series two because I have only just gotten into it and it would be a shame if we didn't get an other series.
            sigpic

Comment

• Well just got back from my weekend with the VM boys!

First of all, did anyone know that Francis Capra was up for playuing Guillermo? (I can't spell his name) He was telling us he was extremely close to getting the part. Random fact, but hey! Now he's working with Kristen instead, heh.

I asked Jason about season two, and he said that all he's been told is that it is 'kind of' over, but the producers etc. are still hard at work trying to get it back for a second series. He said that they were all so sure they had season two in the bag it was like a smack in the face when the cancellation was announced, and he got told in a message, aww! On asking him about the move to New York, he seemed genuinely surprised and said he had never heard this yet. But he said that it would make sense, if it allowed for Moonlight to come back, and it would bring down production cost. But he said that he hadn't heard of this devlopment yet, and said he's just glad to hear the producers are doing what it takes to get the show back. He never said whether or not he would make the move, but I really believe this came as a shock to him when I spoke to him... so who knows, if we get season two, we may still have Jason woo!

Jason also mentioned that because he was so sure that he had Moonlight for another series, he hadn't been looking for work, so he doesn't have anything lined up right now; but is going around to one or two meetings, just to try and maybe set something up. So, at least he's not going to have other committments if Moonlight does come back, but if it doesn't I'm sure Jason will find work pretty quickly, he's a damn good actor!

Someone else had asked him about the season two plotlines. And he said, that yes, he had been told what they were, but he's not going to share them, as he would hate to tell people what's going to happen, in case the show does come back, he doesn't want to ruin it! Maybe that means, Jason is still hopeful for its return too, who knows!

Well, that's pretty much all I have to say about Moonlight. Hope that news is good!
              SJ
              xox
              sigpic
              Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

• Thanks for all the great info!!! You're like our very own Buzzwire!!! (Non trashy of course. )

I'm pretty much coming to accept it's over as well. But it's nice to know Dohring's still hoping for the best and hasn't rushed out and already gotten a new role.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                  Thanks for all the great info!!! You're like our very own Buzzwire!!! (Non trashy of course. )

I just watched the whole series like 2 weeks ago. And yeah, it does get better after the pilot. I grew to really like it. And because I watched it after I learned of the cancellation I was aware of the fact that the end would be the end.

Still, SJ wrote a really hopefult post and I will totally continue watching on the off chance it returns!
                  sigpic
                  follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

• Saw this on Whedonesque, a bit of a deconstruction of "Moonlight" as a discussion of what a "franchise" and a "premise" mean to a television show. It's certainly thought-provoking, although I don't really buy into the guy's categories. It's a critical analysis of the show and why it's had trouble finding a new home, so read at your own discretion.

The Franchise-Premise Differentiation
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                      Thanks for all the great info!!! You're like our very own Buzzwire!!! (Non trashy of course. )
                      *fake gasp* How DARE you suggest that the most illustrious Buzzwire is "trashy"?! At least before Maureen died....

But seriously, thanks for the update SK, VERY interesting....I bet he doesn't know though b/c he hasn't been continuously checking for updates on the situation like we have... I don't blame him--it's all so much more painful for him than for us!

I'm glad he hasn't come out and said though yet that he wouldn't consider moving to NYC.....man, I can just see Mick and Josef living in a flat in NYC together, acting slashy and adorable and Odd Couple (with Josef wanting to bring over ladies, while Mick (hopefully, b/c it wouldn't be the same without Beth either!) is trying to spend time with Beth there.... *sigh* What wasted potential....just thinking about it makes me glad I am upholdign my boycott of CBS right now!

I'm pretty much coming to accept it's over as well. But it's nice to know Dohring's still hoping for the best and hasn't rushed out and already gotten a new role.
                      Yeah, I'm not so hopeful anymore (though I did hear recently TNT might be interested now? If they "know drama" as they claim they should pick it up! ), but I'm still going to keep mailing/emailing/calling, though I have been too busy to do it frequently lately.... Might as well annoy them!

Saw this on Whedonesque, a bit of a deconstruction of "Moonlight" as a discussion of what a "franchise" and a "premise" mean to a television show. It's certainly thought-provoking, although I don't really buy into the guy's categories. It's a critical analysis of the show and why it's had trouble finding a new home, so read at your own discretion.

The Franchise-Premise Differentiation
                      Thanks for the article King--though I don't agree with it, especially the part where he doesn't think Moonlight works or should be given a second chance (blech, I hate to see a voice like his anywhere near Sci-Fi! )....I think the Moonlight formula was working fine, mixing PI and the supernatural, and given the spoilers for season 2
                      Spoiler:
                      in which it seems like the PI premise would largely be dropped, with the vampire apocalypse and fleeing to NYC to begin their lives anew, full of vamp-human tensions)--which all sounds completely awesome!
                      , I think it would have had even less problems.

Also, I'm SICK of people saying you can't have vampires that can go into daylight for limited amounts of time (but who are weakened and can die if exposed for too long,as shown early on in "Fever"), etc--vampire mythology in Dracula is NOT the be-all, end-all of vampires! I think it's perfectly reasonable, if vampires existed at all, for certain elements of vampire myth to be false (are BTVS vamps all invalid b/c they didn't shy away from garlic and sleep in coffins with dirt from their graves? Noooo! It's the SAME thing!) or misrepresented or exaggerated (as in, no, they don't burst into flames immediately in sunlight, but extended exposure will kill them!)....and there can be different varieties of vamps, some more powerful than others! Personally I think Moonlight was VERY clever and interesting the way they made stakes just paralyze vamps, rather than kill them, or the way they sleep in freezers to preserve their body...I feel like people who complain about Mick not following stereotypical vampire lore to a tee just have no imagination!
                      Last edited by sherrilina; 18-06-08, 01:46 AM.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• I think I agree with him on the "franchise" idea --
                        Spoiler:
                        that it's more straightforward not to actually have Mick as a "franchise", a PI, rather than just be a guy around whom PI-like situations develop. Like "Burn Notice", if you will. I disagree with him about the "premise" flaws -- "Moonlight" tweaked the vampire mythology, and made it "easier" to be a vampire compared to other popular mythologies (Buffyverse, Rice-verse, Forks-verse), but it's still a legitimate and consistently applied set of rules. It's a soft-sell premise instead of a hard-sell, that doesn't mean it doesn't *exist*.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

• ANOTHER SAVE MOONLIGHT UPDATE:

Yeah, I know, chances seem to be slim these days, but the fight is not over yet, and here's a quick way to help--DirecTV asked Leeser of MoonlightLine.com (a major ML site and rallying point) to post a poll on her site as far as how many people would be willing to switch to DirecTV if they saw the kind of service it gave (ie in funding shows they like such as Moonlight), or how many people already have it, or how many wouldn't switch (though voting for the latter isn't so helpful! ). You just have to register and vote here: http://forums.moonlightline.com/view...t=9676&start=0

According to Leeser, DirecTV was impressed by the numbers the poll was accumulating in mere hours too! It's just another way you can still contribute, especially if you would be willing to pick up (the great) DirecTV service! (It is good, I have it already myself!)

Also, Leeser says that recent reports of Moonlight's demise are greatly exaggerated!

My source feels that the statements made aren't correct and will be looking for further clarification. Once I have that, I'll post more information.
                          Just wanted to share all this with you if you hadn't heard already!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Did my part for the DirecTV poll! Hope it works! for all your hard work, Sherrilina!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X