Fringe Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fringe Friday

Will you be watching? Do you think the show will survive it's move to a friday slot, also known as as the Friday Death Slot?

Can't waitttt!
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

There is an episode tonight?
    Didn't know it.

It's gonna be hard though, for a next season, and Friday.....

Comment

I'm definitely watching (though it won't matter much since I don't take part in the uber-outdated Nielsen ratings system). I'm recording it, too, since I'm collecting season three on my DVR so I can marathon through it at a later date.

Do I think it'll survive? Yes. I'm very optimistic - probably one of the most optimistic fans out there right now. FOX's previous shows that have been on Friday nights rarely pulled 3 million viewers a week (the most notable being "Dollhouse" and "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" that each pulled 2.5 million or less viewers every week). On Thursdays, up against ridiculously tough competition, "Fringe" got at least 5 million viewers every week (often pulling 5.8 million on average). There's definitely going to be a drop in ratings but shows like "Smallville" and "Supernatural" (both of which get less promotion than FOX has been giving "Fringe" and both are on a smaller network than FOX) pull anywhere between 2.5 and 3.8 million viewers depending on the week. So my expectation for tonight's episode's turnout is somewhere between 3.5 and 4 million viewers - which is probably as good as any show on Fridays is going to do. It might actually be a little higher since "Supernatural," it's timeslot competition, is a repeat.

But, also, even ratings do drop a bit and are lower than FOX wants, they have such faith in the show and they love the show so much and they're doing so much for the show that I'm sure they'd consider moving it to another day rather than cancelling it. On Tuesdays, where it started, "Fringe" pulled a huge amount of ratings and I think they could sustain that since Tuesday night is like...empty of competition. So they'd be better off putting it there.

No matter, I have full faith in "Fringe" and am very optimistic about it's future.
      wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

I'm crossing my fingers really hard for this one!

But I've lost a lot of shows for the Friday Slot and honestly this one will hurt the most since it started out so strong with the ratings and now, at it's weakest, they're moving it to friday.

I really do hope this one will make it.

About the network loving the show... That one really doesn't come in hand when we're talking about Fridays. If they don't cancel it after it bombs, then good for Fox.

Comment

Yeah a lot of people online ofc call it Friday Night Death, but its really just Fox looking for places for these shows to stay affordable, and lets hope when the ratings are in they at least prove successful for a Friday night.

Comment

Some very good news.

Fringe delivered 4.9 million viewers and a 1.9 preliminary adults 18-49 rating last night.
            sigpic
            follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I'm really happy for this! As it turns out, you were right about this.

Having said that, there's still next Friday with new Supernatural episodes coming on, which means competition. Now, I'm not really apart of the SPN fandom. Is it any threat to Fringe?

Comment

Yay for Fringe, and yeah I hope it holds up next week, a few people are saying they might have different audiences so we can only hope the majority of viewers arn't watching both

Comment

There is some overlapping audience, certainly. And true, the real test is next week. I think everyone is expecting there to be a ratings dip but I don't think it is going to be too dramatic. If we lose a few hundred thousand it shouldn't be a big deal.
                  sigpic
                  follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

So the season is over! What did everyone think of it? Spoilers for the entire season, including the finale!

I just finished watching the finale (3x22 "The Day We Died") a few hours ago and I have very mixed feelings about. I'm nervous...I'm excited...I'm confused....I don't know what to think of it. On one hand, it was exciting as hell and probably one of the most well-made episodes of the show. It looked absolutely fantastic and the acting was top-notch, as always. But I just wish more of the finale felt relevant.

I don't know how about half the finale fits and how it means anything, mythology wise or character wise. I did love some of the scenes, though (Ella/Walter, Peter grieving over Olivia), and basically everything with Walter was really, really good. Olivia in the future lacked....well, being Olivia. She didn't feel like Olivia and I felt like we didn't learn anything new about her. We had some really good Peter moments, but overall, I felt like we didn't learn much new about him, either. I did love a lot of the parallels, though (Walter being in almost the same position as he was in the pilot, for example) and it was definitely not a boring hour.

One of my favorite things, though, was something I saw on another forum but it makes perfect sense. This is the follow-up to "Brown Betty". In "Brown Betty", Ella, Walter, and Astrid were the main people involved with Walter and his story. In this episode, Peter described these three as the First People. Also, Ella's conversation with Walter is just like their interactions in "Brown Betty". Here, she says that there are no happy endings anymore and yet, in "Brown Betty", Walter says the same thing, but Ella constructs a happy ending anyways. Peter also brings up the idea that you can't undo what you've done and that Walter is really the evil one in all of this, which is exactly what we see in "The Day We Died". I thought those parallels were insanely interesting and it's obviously very intentional. A lot of the dialogue is actually mirrored exactly.

And then that brings me to the twist ending. I am so confused. If Peter never existed, how did this all happen? Walter would never have gone to the other side, so the two universes would never have converged and there would be no rips in the universe so Olivia and Fauxlivia and Walter and Walternate would never actually meet. So, I'm confused. But at the same time, it was a perfect ending. He used the machine not to destroy but instead to create a bond between the universes, and I thought that was really great. I can't wait to see the characters and their doppelgangers interact on a more regular basis next year, too. I just hope Peter doesn't stay gone and out of their memories for too long.

A few general comments about the season: whatever happened to the machine weaponizing Peter and him killing a bunch of shapeshifters? Was that dropped? Will that come back? I sure hope so. And whatever happened to the fact that Peter still has feelings for Fauxlivia. Was that ever resolved? (To be honest, near the middle of the season, I didn't really understand Peter & Olivia but maybe I just need a rewatch). Overall, though, it was a fantastic season! I don't know which is my favorite, season 2 or 3, but they were both outstanding and Fringe is by far my favorite show on television right now! I am dying in anticipation for season 4! Such a great show.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                      One of my favorite things, though, was something I saw on another forum but it makes perfect sense. This is the follow-up to "Brown Betty". In "Brown Betty", Ella, Walter, and Astrid were the main people involved with Walter and his story. In this episode, Peter described these three as the First People. Also, Ella's conversation with Walter is just like their interactions in "Brown Betty". Here, she says that there are no happy endings anymore and yet, in "Brown Betty", Walter says the same thing, but Ella constructs a happy ending anyways. Peter also brings up the idea that you can't undo what you've done and that Walter is really the evil one in all of this, which is exactly what we see in "The Day We Died". I thought those parallels were insanely interesting and it's obviously very intentional. A lot of the dialogue is actually mirrored exactly.
                      Oh, that's a great observation. Interesting!

And then that brings me to the twist ending. I am so confused. If Peter never existed, how did this all happen? Walter would never have gone to the other side, so the two universes would never have converged and there would be no rips in the universe so Olivia and Fauxlivia and Walter and Walternate would never actually meet. So, I'm confused. But at the same time, it was a perfect ending. He used the machine not to destroy but instead to create a bond between the universes, and I thought that was really great. I can't wait to see the characters and their doppelgangers interact on a more regular basis next year, too. I just hope Peter doesn't stay gone and out of their memories for too long.
                      I guess everyone has their own theory of how to interpret the observer's words at the end of the episode. Personally, I go with the theory that the two universes have been on a interdependent destruction course - for reasons unknown to us - and the observers created an internal reason, i.e. Peter and his abduction, for the universes to start communicating and, ultimately, work together to prevent said destruction. Once that happened, the internal device (Peter) was deleted from the collective memory again. Obviously that would put S1-3 in a completely new context and everything we believed to know about the Fringe universe is in question. I am not sure if that's the direction the writers will take, but I am definitely stoked for S4.

whatever happened to the machine weaponizing Peter and him killing a bunch of shapeshifters? Was that dropped? Will that come back? I sure hope so.
                      I am very disappointed that this plot strand was abandoned. For a while it looked as if Peter would go dark side or something similar and I thought it was an interesting direction to take. So I was frustrated that nothing ever came of it. Even Olivia's reaction to Peter's actions when he finally reveals them to her have been undercut by her possession through Bell's 'soul' and once she was herself again, it was never picked up.

Talking of Bell!livia, I think the William Bell mini-arc was the worst creative decision the writers made all year. The scientific premise was not only ridiculous, even for Fringe standards, but also the plot was wasted. It just never went anywhere. Bell didn't advance the plotlines or helped Walter to have a breakthrough with his research on the machine. So I am really not sure what purpose that mini-arc served.

In any case, I loved S3, in fact, it might be my favourite season so far. I think the split narrative, alternating between the two universes, was interesting, and I love that the writers allowed us to actually form a connection to the characters of alt!Fringe, so they became sympathetic instead of being reduced to the stereotypical 'bad guys'. I am really looking forward to S4!

Comment

Originally posted by galathea View Post
                        Oh, that's a great observation. Interesting!
                        Isn't it!? I found it on another forum and my mind was blown. It made me love the forum a lot more than I already did!

I guess everyone has their own theory of how to interpret the observer's words at the end of the episode. Personally, I go with the theory that the two universes have been on a interdependent destruction course - for reasons unknown to us - and the observers created an internal reason, i.e. Peter and his abduction, for the universes to start communicating and, ultimately, work together to prevent said destruction. Once that happened, the internal device (Peter) was deleted from the collective memory again. Obviously that would put S1-3 in a completely new context and everything we believed to know about the Fringe universe is in question. I am not sure if that's the direction the writers will take, but I am definitely stoked for S4.
                        Oh, okay. That makes a good deal of sense. So the two worlds were already on this course (I mean, Walter and Bell were already investigation the other universe even before Peter died) so the two worlds were going to collide eventually, regardless of the situation. I like that explanation. It's just that all the relationships in the show have now been changed and that worries me. I hope they remember Peter soon in season 4! I'm nervous but beyond excited.

I am very disappointed that this plot strand was abandoned. For a while it looked as if Peter would go dark side or something similar and I thought it was an interesting direction to take. So I was frustrated that nothing ever came of it. Even Olivia's reaction to Peter's actions when he finally reveals them to her have been undercut by her possession through Bell's 'soul' and once she was herself again, it was never picked up.
                        It was a really interesting idea, I thought. But after wondering about this, I looked it up and the writers said: (kind of spoilers but not really)

Spoiler:
                        That they wanted to pick this up at the end of season 3 again but they just ran out of time. But it will definitely be addressed in season 4, they say. I hope that's true!

Talking of Bell!livia, I think the William Bell mini-arc was the worst creative decision the writers made all year. The scientific premise was not only ridiculous, even for Fringe standards, but also the plot was wasted. It just never went anywhere. Bell didn't advance the plotlines or helped Walter to have a breakthrough with his research on the machine. So I am really not sure what purpose that mini-arc served.
                        See, I guess I'm alone in this, but I really, really enjoyed the Olivia Bell arc. I didn't think it was really that ridiculous considering what other stuff we've seen in the show and I don't think it took up that much time. We saw him in 3.17 "Stowaway" but that wasn't really about him. Bell got some great farewell scenes with Walter in that episode, but it didn't take up the whole thing or ruin it. In fact, I thought that episode was one of the best standalones the show has ever done, because the guest actress was fantastic, the plot connected to the characters and it worked really well thematically, and it packed a gigantic emotional punch. I loved that one. And the other episode we saw Bell in was 3.19 "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide", but he was barely in that one, too. That episode was all about Olivia's subconscious and everything was focused on that. The only really Bell thing we got to see in that episode was his selfless decision to die. Which was a great ending for his character (but honestly, I hope he stays gone...I never loved his character and now he's had two goodbyes, both have been very good, but he doesn't need to come back anymore). I think the overall point of the Bell arc was to get inside Olivia's head and to develop her fears, which kind of all led up to 3.21 "The Last Sam Weiss", where she shut off the machine.

I think the worst creative decision of the year was either the animation in 3.19 "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" or he Peter/Olivia stuff in the middle of the season. I felt like LAD was a really, really good episode and the insights into Olivia were really good and stuff that I have been thinking for a really long time. It was great to see that! But the animation made no sense and took me out of the episode. And the show seemed to forget that Peter still has feelings for Olivia. I didn't get it. Peter used his relationship with Fauxlivia to prove that Peter and Olivia deserved to be together. Which just baffles me.

Comment

I watched Fringe when it first came on and after didn't get any further into the show, i just couldn't get into it, why are they moving fringe to friday nights for or did they already do that, second what is the show about basically i mean it was hard for me to even get what was going on, fringe kinda confused me.
                          How did you find me here?, If i was blind, I would see you.
                          Welcoming Committee

Comment

Working...
                          X