Dark Angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Angel

Does anyone else watch this show? I know of 3 other members, but it'd sure be nice if there were some more!

I started this series a few days ago. I ignored it for a long long time because it was made by the over-appreciated and fame-whore James Cameron... As the person behind Titanic and Avatar, while the films were definitely admirable feats I disagree with all the attention and praise it got him. I just hate the man and have tried to ignore him for as long as possible.

That said...I've been interested in this series for a while so I took a chance and it's actually really good. The beginning was definitely slow and hard to get into, and a lot of the future slang sounds awkward but everything about that world is so different and fascinating. Around the 6th episode it found itself and got on one amazing role! Hopefully I'll be finishing S1 tonight!

I'm not sure how I feel about Jessica Alba's acting so far. I've never been the biggest fan of her, and I think while she looks and acts the part fine it does drag down the rest of the series. She's arguably the weakest actress there compared to other cast members who do some amazing things. I kinda wish that there was a more balanced focus on people other than Max and Logan, because it's been hard getting attached to them. At first I really didn't like the group of friends Max has (too many of them I think as well), but the plot has really picked up and I don't even notice it anymore. Once I was into the show it didn't bother me.

The series isn't flawless by any means, but I think it had a lot of potential and could have gone on many years based on what I've seen so far. It has a very classic badass vibe to it. I see lots of Buffy in the female roles - and as a sci-fi nut that bonus genre aspect makes it even more awesome. I believe the move to the Friday night death-slot is what resulted in the cancellation and ratings drop (it had been doing very well before: 10 millions viewers and up weekly) but oh well.

For those viewers that might not be aware, did you know that because not everything was tied up in the finale 2 books were written to provide closure? I've ordered copies of my own so I'll let everyone know how they are or give some answers. The reviews I've glanced at make them sound very satisfying and amazing!
    They're available all over the web. They probably won't be in your local bookstores anymore as they're quite old, but most sites online say they're still in stock (Amazon/Barnes and Nobles/Borders/Chapters/etc.) or as Ebooks. The wrap up novels are called Dark Angel: Skin Game and Dark Angel: After the Dark.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...500_AA300_.jpghttp://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...500_AA300_.jpg

So yeah, any other fans around here? What do you think? It's pretty damn cool IMO!

I really enjoy Dark Angel and always have - I like the show more each time I rewatch it, in fact.

I know that Jessica Alba isn't the strongest actress in the world, but that has never bothered me with regard to the show because her lack of range actually suits the character, since Max is so emotionally repressed, as a rule. And she has plenty of colourful characters to bounce off, which adds a lot to the show. It's an engaging universe, always fun to watch, and I've always regretted that there wasn't a third season, as the set-up for it was so strong - it could have been amazing.

Will be interested to see what you make of season two!

I never read the tie-in novels, though - I prefer to let the show end where it did and imagine for myself what might have happened next.

Comment

I watched the show many years ago, just once.... so my memory is rusty. I liked it very much that first time around, and I have a fond memory of it, but I'd really need to watch it again to see if it withstood the test of time with me.

I loved the post-apocalyptic world the show set up, it fascinated me a lot. And I also loved the mythology of genetically modified people, Manticore (?) and all that.

Although I think season 1 was better and more cohesive than season 2, there was still a lot to be explored, and I hate that it was cancelled. Did I ever mention I hate the policy of cancellation?

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
      Icon by xiperita

Comment

Originally posted by Francy View Post
        I watched the show many years ago, just once.... so my memory is rusty. I liked it very much that first time around, and I have a fond memory of it, but I'd really need to watch it again to see if it withstood the test of time with me.

I loved the post-apocalyptic world the show set up, it fascinated me a lot. And I also loved the mythology of genetically modified people, Manticore (?) and all that.

Although I think season 1 was better and more cohesive than season 2, there was still a lot to be explored, and I hate that it was cancelled. Did I ever mention I hate the policy of cancellation?
        Just like you I watched the show before 5 years . Recently they aired it on AXN and I manage to catch some episodes from 2 season. When I watched it in 2005 I was facinated. This show remains one of my favorites shows ever. I like Jesica Alba and IMO she is not bad actress. She is so sweet ...i.e the movie "Honey" she is in the main role , also in " Cuck for luck" . I even didn`t know she is able to dance so good. When I watched DArk Angel in 2005 I saw Jesica for the first time and I liked her immediatelly. She makes me very big impression in the verry first episode of the show. So, I can`t say anything bad about her like an actress. Also, her character Max remind me so much to Buffy. Check this out :http://vbox7.com/play:8f18b236&al=1&vid=3928510
        After I watced the show I buy the DVDs for my own. I also think S 1 is better. But in S 2 is other my favorie actor - Jensen Ackles.... so I like the show very much. Also it was fun, when I rewatced it in 2010 to watch about the big impulse which is happpen in 2009 year. It is so weird. I just said to myself... " thanks god it is doesn`t happen ....." Also I`m not sure if is is just mythology - genetically modified things - not just people , but also animals and stuff. Even now we know about genetically modified vegetables in the marcets. I always avoid to buy them.
        Like Michael says, this show remind so much to Buffy. Max is not the chosen one, but she is the one who fights with the forces of darkness as well! The relationship between Max and Logan remind me to Bufy and Angel. In S 2 they even can`t touch each other. Just like Buffy and Angel they were doomed / i.e. just like Richard and Calan /. Max also has a wish to be just a normal girl.... she says ... " to be a normal girl - is this so much to want ? " And the show is fantasy - drama, full of darkness and miserable characters. When I have enough time I`m going to rewatch it.
        Last edited by _Buffy_; 31-12-10, 05:43 PM.
        sigpic
        maked by plamivasi

Comment

I guess I never got around to posting this, but I finished Dark Angel! It really was a fabulous series, and after that S2 finale... how did we not get more? Mr. Whedon's Firefly was the show that replaced it, and as much as I love it...it got cancelled very quickly. So had that series not been around to replace it, Dark Angel probably would have continued and seen more seasons. I hate the policy of cancellations too Francy.

Oh well. Here are some of my thoughts...

- Does anyone else ship Max and Alec? I wasn't as big a fan of Max ending up with Logan in the second season. Having that blonde girl around didn't help either. She was a little annoying and it felt like she was there solely to make drama and postpone their love. *sigh*

- Joshua...aka Big Fella! He is one of my favourite characters ever now. What a cuddly little doggy-man. Compared to the other relationships from S1 I enjoyed his connection with Max much more. It's a little weird that some of the cast who were Max's pals never got mentioned again, but their replacement was filled beautifully. The bond was so adorable and just makes me grin. I was so sad when his blind girlfriend was killed too. My heart broke for him!

- Jensen Ackles has a tendency of making shows better, and I think he really did as Alec on Dark Angel. He was fun, snarky, strong, etc. He was the kind of character who activates drama but can keep it from being annoying, unlike that blonde girl (who obviously didn't do much for me as I can't even remember her name).

- Some people mentioned that S1 was more cohesive and was their favourite. I agree that it was plotted out much better and stronger overall, but I think S2 is the one I prefer. I know it's clearly not the best, but I preferred the change of tone and route it explored. Having all the 'freaks' run about was so interesting. Some of the things were perhaps a little too weird, as it sometimes felt like a different series than what it was before, but I did really like it. There was some good mythology building up and it kept the stories fresh. The first two episodes of S2 are probably my top two favourites from the whole show. Just very thrilling and exciting! There was a bit of a slow patch in the middle of S2, but it started amazing and ended amazing so I was pleased. Jessica Alba's acting also really improved. The characters felt stronger and the future slang flowed a lot more naturally between them all.

- It definitely is a shame that there was no proper conclusion. However "Freak Nation" was a fabulous way to go out, and in some ways it makes me happy enough to end it there. We don't see the full war, but we got to see everyone band together and embrace their strengths. Everything about it was phenomenal. I was left with a glimmer of hope, and that was enough to keep me happy.

Comment

The blond girl name is Asha . She was sweet , too. It was hilarious when she endnend up with Alec late at night but she was asleep immediately. And he don` t has a choice and only cover her with the blanket.

Michael, why you are disappointed of Max ending up with Logan ? They were a great couple. Actually I was disappointed of the fact till the end they holding their hand with gloves. It is so sad - they loves each other and can`t be together / like Richard /Kalan and Buffy/Angel/ I feel for them.
            Last edited by _Buffy_; 29-04-11, 01:06 PM.
            sigpic
            maked by plamivasi

Comment

I'm a big fan of Dark Angel and I wish it had lasted longer. I watched both seasons and I enjoy both for their differences. Season one has strong plots with a good balance of drama and action. I think the show was the best performance Jessica Alba ever did as an actor. She may not be the best actress but she fit the role of Max very well. I always like Lydecker and Zack and was upset when they were wrote off the show. If they had done more seasons, I would have wanted both of those guys to show up again. They are too important to Max's story to just disappear completely. In fact, Lydecker's disappearance is never explained, I'd assume writers had plans for him in Season 3?

Season 2 was multi-layered more with comedy by adding Joshua and Alec. Two characters I was happy to see there because I liked them and they added parallels to Max so she wasn't the only genetically enhanced being there. When I first became a fan I was very much a Max/Alec fan, but as I've re-watched the season I've come to see them as having a wonderful friendship. I truly believe in my heart that Max and Logan would be together in the end even if Max and Alec did have a relationship somewhere down the line. I read somewhere that FOX wanted Alec to become Max's love interest but James Cameron wouldn't have it so. Obviously Cameron saw Logan and Max together.

I've bought all three of the books in store and I read them several years ago. I thought they were strong works of fiction that added on to the show, but I didn't always agree with it. "Skin Game" had a really good plot idea to finally break Max and Logan free of the virus. That plot line was dragged so far in season 2, it should have been dealt with earlier in the season. Some of the last episodes of season 2 should have been the ones in the middle like "Hello, Goodbye" and "Dawg Day Afternoon", Max breaking it off with Logan and Alec and Joshua really coming into the complexities of the characters.

The prequel book "Before the Dawn" was interesting and it would have been neat to have a flashback episode with Max like they did with Alec in "Berrisford Agenda". They had a few moments in the first season, but I think it would help the audience understand where Max is coming from. I always loved the episodes with a little background of the characters, it really opens up how you perceive them.

I don't remember much from "After the Dark" other than the war really had come to Terminal City and Max needed to stop it. I wasn't too into that book, I felt the story followed the show beyond where it ended in a good direction, but I don't remember being thrilled by any of it. I should really pull them out and read them again.

I liked Alec because I am a Jensen Ackles fan. He plays the haughty, hot guy very well and that role suits him. Max was very harsh to Alec and I still don't understand exactly how that fits into Ben. Maybe Max is angry at Ben for making her leave him dead in the forest and she just sees that guilt when she looks at Alec? Ben and Alec are very different characters, but I like both of them. I created a story idea for Ben before he showed up in Seattle, but I never actually wrote it.

Also, for those of you who really like the ideas of Manticore and the genetically-enhanced soldiers, I know there was a book released along with the three fiction works that was Logan's dossier on all the Manticore information. I always thought it was cool especially if you were writing fanfiction. I rented it from my library once and it mostly contained information from Season 1. It was interesting, it had character profiles and stuff on Lydecker. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I've never found it in a book store.

I was never fond of Asha (the blonde girl) either, she was just a filler character. She was there to create a rift among Logan and Max and a possible love interest for Alec. Thankfully she was seen less and less as the show came to an end and the episodes were better then.

I'll never understand the whole "Ames White Super Cult" plot that was created in season 2. The writers never explained that clearly. They could have spared us that if Lydecker somehow figured something out about Sandeman, but they got rid of him. I was always hoping for him to show up because he was a power character. There was always something more to him and I wish I had a chance to see it!
              Last edited by glows; 29-04-11, 10:23 AM.
              My Youtube Channel | Graphics Journal | My Tumblr

Comment

Who was actually Sandeman ? Is anywhere, somewhere a hint about who is he ? Is he even exsist ? Or he was only in Joshua imagination ?
                sigpic
                maked by plamivasi

Comment

He wasn't a figment of Joshua's imagination because Max had memories of the mysterious man when she saw his cane.

Comment

Originally posted by _Buffy_ View Post
                    Who was actually Sandeman ? Is anywhere, somewhere a hint about who is he ? Is he even exsist ? Or he was only in Joshua imagination ?
                    Sandeman was the founder of Manticore (and also part of that breeding cult whose name I forget, connected to Ames White) who was eventually driven out and fled into hiding when his original vision for the project became corrupted by the militaristic desires of the government that was funding him. That's how I understood it, anyway, although it's been a while since I watched the show.

Given how season 2 ended, I imagine season 3 would have featured Sandeman at some point, and explained a lot more about his plans.

Comment

Thank you RedKryptonClark and Llywela .

I have been watched this series a long time ago, too . But never been sure that Sandeman is real and really exsist. Unfortunately, there is no S 3 , so we never learn something more about him. I think someone here said that the book " After the Dark " is continiuation , after S 2 . So may be there has a clue in the book ? Who knows .
                      sigpic
                      maked by plamivasi

Comment

Michael, why you are disappointed of Max ending up with Logan ? They were a great couple. Actually I was disappointed of the fact till the end they holding their hand with gloves. It is so sad - they loves each other and can`t be together / like Richard /Kalan and Buffy/Angel/ I feel for them.
                        It was pointed out that Max/Logan was like Buffy/Angel, and Max/Alec was like Buffy/Spike... Well I tend to prefer Spuffy, so I also tended to prefer Max/Alec! They didn't have the healthiest relationship, but I loved their chemistry with each other and thought something might have happened between them down the road. They were fun together! I enjoyed their banter!
                        Originally posted by _Buffy_ View Post
                        The blond girl name is Asha . She was sweet , too. It was hilarious when she endnend up with Alec late at night but she was asleep immediately. And he don` t has a choice and only cover her with the blanket.
                        Originally posted by glows View Post
                        I was never fond of Asha (the blonde girl) either, she was just a filler character. She was there to create a rift among Logan and Max and a possible love interest for Alec. Thankfully she was seen less and less as the show came to an end and the episodes were better then.
                        I think Glows explained why I don't like Asha perfectly. She seemed like someone introduced solely to keep Max and Logan apart, which I found annoying... There were some stronger characters from Season 1 that I would have preferred to stay on the series in her place.

I'm planning to rewatch Dark Angel in a few weeks, so I'll have to see how another viewing of the series changes my opinions! I'm excited!

Until then, why don't we answer some questions?

1) Who were your favourite and least favourite characters?

2) What was your favourite season?

3) Who do you ship together?

4) What were your favourite and least favourite episodes?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainOats View Post
                          It was pointed out that Max/Logan was like Buffy/Angel, and Max/Alec was like Buffy/Spike... Well I tend to prefer Spuffy, so I also tended to prefer Max/Alec! They didn't have the healthiest relationship, but I loved their chemistry with each other and thought something might have happened between them down the road. They were fun together! I enjoyed their banter!

Until then, why don't we answer some questions?

4) What were your favourite and least favourite episodes?

Before I answer the questions I wanna to say that I was watched " Dark Angel " behind the scenes . There was one scene in which Max and Alec were fighting with each other. In this scene , they really remind me to Spike/ Buffy , but : the most hilarious moment was when in the middle of the fight they started to holding each other and while they were holding, they burst into laugh. It was so hilariuos.

- Max , Logan and Alec. Max`s character reminds me to Buffy. But I have watched "Dark Angel" before Buffy, so I didn`t know that Buffy even exist. Max become my favorite immediatelly. And then, whan I watch Buffy, I was thinking, that Buffy reminds me to Max.

I like Liedecker. I think he has feelings from this children from Manticora and didn`t want they to dies.

Least favorite - I don`t like this blond lady from S2 - the chief of Manticora. She reminds me to proffesor Walsh.

Don`t like Joshua, too.

- There are only two seasones. I don`t know why, but Ilike S 1 more.

Max and Logan. They were in love and thier love is so impossible. But even this , they stayed together and does cared for each other.

4) What were your favourite and least favourite episodes ?

I can`t say exactly, because I don`t rememeber all the episodes so well. I rememeber that there was one episode for Halloween - pretty lame, IMO. And also don`t like this episode when this man killed the blind girl and charge Joshua ,grrrrrrrr.

The most of episodes I like pretty much.
                          sigpic
                          maked by plamivasi

Comment

_Buffy_, why don't you like Joshua? He was so sweet and cute!

I really enjoyed Original Cindy, Alec, Joshua, Annie, and Max. They were all multifaceted and gave the show its unique feel. There was a perfect balance between wise, serious, comedic, and strong characters that kept the show realistic and personal, which was occasionally hard to do as it was set in the future.

To be honest in the first season Max bothered me somewhat, but thankfully in season two she felt more developed and fun. Her time back at Manticore really toughened up her character, and I loved that harder edge to her. I'm sure it also has to do with Jessica Alba getting more in tune with the role over time.

The only characters I really despised were Max's ridiculous boss and Asha!

I commented on this earlier, and my opinion hasn't changed too much. I think the first year was planned out better and really knew where it was going--but I preferred many of the newer elements from season two like the freaks on the loose and Alec and Joshua. Season two feels quite different from the first one, and I really like that. It incorporated more genres and science-fiction stories, which is what I was hoping for when I started the series!

First and foremost, I ship Joshua and Annie... I have never fallen in love with two people so quickly as I did with these two. They were so short lived, and yet so heartwarming and powerful. My heart breaks just thinking about them. What a doomed romance. The writers must have been watching some of Joss Whedon's series!

Others would be Max/Alec and Max/Logan.

4. What were your favourite and least favourite episodes?

I'm not too sure on my least favourites, but after referring to an episode guide and from memory my top favourites were these ones: Designate This, Bag 'Em, Hello Goodbye, Dawg Day Afternoon, Love Among the Runes, Freak Nation, The Berrisford Agenda, Some Assembly Required, And Jesus Brought a Casserole, Haven, Female Trouble, Cold Comfort, Prodigy, and Heat.

Comment

I know that Joshua is good person and is cute. But I fing him very naive . IMO his character not develop much. He may to be smarter than that. I respect him, because he was a good friend of Max, but he is not my favorite.

And I forgot about The original Cindy. I agree - she is great !
                              Last edited by _Buffy_; 28-05-11, 11:05 AM.
                              sigpic
                              maked by plamivasi

Comment

Working...
                              X