10x10 "Luthor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10x10 "Luthor"

We haven't had much Smallville love, but last nights episode has made me want to post! Now Lionel has never been a favorite character of mine, I've always found him horribly inconsistent over his 7 year run on the show, but this episode he was on top. There is no denying that John Glover is a fantastic actor.

This episode proves that Smallville knows how to rock the alternate reality episodes. "Lexmas", "Labyrinth", "Apocalypse" and now "Luthor". It was a very neat idea to see what life would be like for Clark if Lionel had found him first. The dark "Ultraman" was fantastic and a great way to show that yes Lionel is truly evil, and nothing he has done over the course of the series can deflect that.

The shinning star of the episode was Tess though. I've always liked Tess, but she has really stepped it up in season 10 and I am in love with her storyline. We are being treated with some new and exciting that the comics haven't explored. Unlike the Lois/Clark relation where you know where its going, I have no clue where Tess will end up at the end of the series. I don't understand though why alternateTess knew she was a Luthor though. Tess only found out because of events that were put into motion after Lionel and Lex's death, so I don't see how she would have found out if those never happened. And I doubt Lionel told her. Maybe I'm looking at it too closely, but I just thought it was a bit too convenient and just done so Clark could learn.

Lois and Oliver were great in this episode, the alternate versions were terrific and I loved them together.

The biggest disappointment of this episode was not seeing Clark Luthor fight Oliver, Tess and Lois. It looked like a brilliant battle took foot and how did Oliver show up? And Lois looked so bad ass like she was putting up a good fight, but sadly we didn't get any of it.

The ending was very WTF! So Lionel is back? I dunno how I feel about that, I just hope they keep him evil and no "Clark I wanna protect you", just evil.

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
    We haven't had much Smallville love, but last nights episode has made me want to post!
    OMG! I know! I rarely ever post in any section these days but this episode was easily my favorite out of an already incredible season (excluding 10.09 "Patriot" - which was a snoozer aside from the Tess/Lois scenes).

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo
    I don't understand though why alternateTess knew she was a Luthor though. Tess only found out because of events that were put into motion after Lionel and Lex's death, so I don't see how she would have found out if those never happened. And I doubt Lionel told her. Maybe I'm looking at it too closely, but I just thought it was a bit too convenient and just done so Clark could learn.
    I think you're looking at it a little too closely. It was an alternate reality, afterall. Lionel finding Clark could've changed his mindset when he ultimately had Tess put in an orphanage. Or she could've met Clark before she found out she was a Luthor and ultimately found out about it through some other means. I'm of the belief that Clark Luthor/Tess got together before they found out they were legally family since that's just how it came across to me. However, there could've been any number of circumstances that led to Tess finding out she was a Luthor in the alternate reality since it's just an alternate reality. Everything is different there except that Clark is Kryptonian.

But I thought it was really great when Tess stood up to Lionel in the alternate world. She was just surprisingly strong and proved that she had the same intellect and bite of a Luthor. It was a great scene.

The biggest disappointment of this episode was not seeing Clark Luthor fight Oliver, Tess and Lois. It looked like a brilliant battle took foot and how did Oliver show up? And Lois looked so bad ass like she was putting up a good fight, but sadly we didn't get any of it.
    I TOTALLY AGREE! It didn't make the episode any less awesome for me but I was disappointed that we didn't see the fight take place. In general, I wanted to see more of Clark Luthor. Tom Welling was great in the role - bordering on scary when he attacked Watchtower. I think Oliver finally answered the call and heard about the showdown in Watchtower and showed up to help Lois and Tess out. That's my theory. I think the entire fight took place between Clark Luthor telling Tess he'll kill her if she doesn't give him the Mirror Box and Clark Kent's return.

The ending was very WTF! So Lionel is back? I dunno how I feel about that, I just hope they keep him evil and no "Clark I wanna protect you", just evil.
    I do NOT see that happening. I genuinely don't. The Lionel that came back with Clark Kent is the evil Lionel. He lived a totally different life, never became the good guy that he kinda was at the end of his run...He's always been pure evil. And I think he'll remain pure evil in our world. And that excites me! I did NOT see his return coming at all even though I did catch the shot of him running towards Clark as the Mirror Box got activated.

Overall, the episode was my favorite of this season - which says a lot! The acting was fantastic, the writing was amazing, and I LOVED how it was filmed. The entire episode was so beautifully shot - especially the couple times that they had the characters look at the camera (most notably that final shot of the episode with Lionel).
    wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

I loved this episode, so hard. Out of all of the AU type of eps that they've done in the past this one actually ended w/ real consequences in the current reality.

It's always fun to see Tom get to do something different as well. Whenever he can do sexy, horny, smarmy - he does it SO well.

I loved all of the character development for Tess in this ep. It was interesting to see how Tess was in a world raised a Luthor compared to now w/ her having to be self reliant and make her own destiny. The AU Tess was very flaky and sloppy - our Tess is cool and calculating - methinks that Lionel would be impressed w/ his "red headed bastard" in our world.

Poor AU Oliver and Lois - both of them just had something missing w/o having Clark KENT in their lives. Oliver man, sorry but Lois was so settling for you. Loved her 2 minutes w/ our Clark and poor Lois found her soulmate who just doesn't exist in her reality.

I love Lionel. I MISS Lionel. I hated what they did w/ Lex and de-evolve his relationship w/ Clark to be all about Lana - the Luthors before that happened were always the smartest, sophisticated part of the series. Lionel's witty sarcasm always elevates the writing on the series also. So glad that he's back.

Great, great episode.

Yeah I think that scene ended up on the cutting room floor Frakking CW and their unending need for extra ad revenue to cut into our programs.

Comment

I think not seeing the fight was for the best. What we imagined happened can't compete with what they would've shown us... In reality if we saw that fight, we'd all be saying, "Why didn't Clark just super speed/super punch all three out in less than a second?" or "Why'd he let them gain the upper hand by grabbing kryptonite weapons?!" I liked seeing them all bloody and Watchtower kind of destroyed, but that's just me.

Amazing episode though! I loved the coloring of the AU verse the brighter nicer regular Universe. Season 10 has been so great!
        Just one rule... I don't want to date a twin... I've been traded before.

Comment

Working...
        X