Merlin Season 3 (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merlin Season 3 (Spoilers)

A season 3 trailer of about 2 min arrives to us from Comic Con! It looks exciting, though I have my reservations still, especially regarding Morgana's role next season...

Thoughts?
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Oh my goodness, I mean wow! This trailer I saw is so intruging. I can't wait to see what happens this season on Merlin. I wonder what will become of all...

I mean the outcome for this season. I wonder how that will turn out to be.
    sigpic
    NOT FADE AWAY

An Angel continuity/crossover with Power Rangers
    Coming Soon!!

Comment

Does Merlin stil air? I lost track of it somehow and it's too bad I really like the show
      Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
      sigpic

Comment

The show is still running, yes, but it isn't airing at the moment. The new series is due to air on the BBC in the autumn - I don't know when it will run in the US.

Comment

I've just seen here that Merlin will be returning September 11, 2010! So around the same time as last year I think...

I also found this detailed description for the episode, which seems very intriguing....apparently season 3 is going to start a year after the events at the end of season 2! I'm just so glad that Morgana is going to be found within the first episode, it would have been horrible (and super boring for me) if they had spent more than a couple episodes looking for her....

Episode 1 description from BBC website:

Spoiler:
          It has been a year since Lady Morgana disappeared and no trace of her has been found, as the fantasy drama starring Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Anthony Head and Richard Wilson returns for a new series.

Just as it seems all hope is lost, Merlin and Arthur pick up a trail. Set upon by bandits it seems they may perish but Merlin's secret magic saves the day. As the dust settles, a mysterious, bruised and bloodied figure approaches the group: it's Lady Morgana.

Camelot rejoices at her return but Merlin is worried that Morgana will remember the circumstances of their last meeting and tell King Uther that he tried to kill her. The King will not understand that he did it to save Camelot from Morgana's half-sister, sorceress Morgause's deadly enchantment; Merlin would be executed on the spot.

Morgana promises Merlin that she has learnt the error of her ways and repents for the evil things she has done. Morgause no longer has any hold over her and Morgana forgives Merlin and promises to keep his secret.

Uther and Morgana enjoy a tearful reunion. The King is delighted that his ward has returned and immediately announces a banquet in her honour. But is there more to her return than meets the eye?

That night, Morgana slips out of the castle and journeys to a cave guarded by mysterious warriors. It seems that she has been playing a game. Far from renouncing magic she has spent the last year at Morgause's side. Morgana is no longer Camelot's daughter but a servant of the Old Religion. Using a handkerchief stained with Uther's grateful tears, Morgause concocts a spell to bring the tyrant King to his knees.

As the evil magic begins to take hold of Uther's mind, Camelot is cast into great peril. Morgause is rousing Uther's mortal enemy, King Cenred, to invade the Kingdom, while Uther, plagued by hallucinations from his past, is incapable of mounting a defence of the realm.

As Gaius urges Arthur to take command, Merlin begins to suspect that Morgana's repentance is not all it seems. He soon discovers he was right but the evil sisters are too quick for him. He is captured, bound with magic and left to the mercy of the scorpion-like enchanted serkets.

As Cenred's army amasses on the border and Merlin's life hangs in the balance, the young sorcerer summons the Great Dragon, his last and only hope. Can the Dragon and the Dragonlord save Camelot from certain doom?

Katie McGrath plays Morgana, Colin Morgan plays Merlin, Bradley James plays Arthur, Anthony Head plays Uther, Emilia Fox plays Morgause, Tom Ellis plays Cenred, Richard Wilson plays Gaius and John Hurt is the voice of the Dragon.

I am not happy that Morgana is already "evil" (and the way in which she went dark side last season), but oh well, hopefully she will have more screentime at least this way....and hallucinations from Uther's past sounds VERY promising! I wonder if we'll get to see Gorlois at last, and more Ygraine?

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I saw some pictures today (not very interesting) and a poster with an evil looking Morgana and Arthur and Merlin in front of her.

I wonder how many times Arthur will pass out/look the other way while Merlin is saving his life this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
              I saw some pictures today (not very interesting) and a poster with an evil looking Morgana and Arthur and Merlin in front of her.
              Do you mean this Comic Con poster? And were they set pictures or actual episode photos yet?

I wonder how many times Arthur will pass out/look the other way while Merlin is saving his life this season.
              Lol, seriously....I feel like the reveal will if anything happen in the season 3 finale or something, so I'm guessing a lot!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

That's a cool poster, not the one I've seen (it does look a bit like it, but without Uther and Morgana is huge) but I can't find it back.

the pictures from the third series:

Comment

It looks like an official teaser trailer has now been released online now....it has stuff mostly from the previous Comic Con trailer, but much better quality!

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                  That's a cool poster, not the one I've seen (it does look a bit like it, but without Uther and Morgana is huge) but I can't find it back.

the pictures from the third series:

Okay thanks, I hadn't seen the Uther one...(the Morgause one is obviously from the Comic Con trailer.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

When does Merlin get proper protection when he joins Arthur and the other knights on a dangerous mission? Everybody wears an armour and weapons, and Merlin still wears the same clothes as he did in the pilot. Poor thing.

But interesting teaser, that are some dead knights.
                    Last edited by Nina; 27-08-10, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Just watched the first episode and it's still fun, even if some things make my hair hurt.

Spoiler:
                      God, was Morgana's evil grin annoying. She had to turn around and grin evilly at least 5 times and it was always so entirely unbelievable

I wish they had not made evil Morgana like this. She's a very sympathetic character, she has reason to hate Uther and now Merlin, there is need for her to be so cartoon villainy about it.

But aside from that it was very nice. "I see dead people" Uther was fun and it was nice to see Arthur step up. Also I loved the slash vibe between Morgana and Morgause, they are deffinitely outsizzling Arthur and Merlin.

I was pretty excited about seeing it again to get new visuals since over summer I discovered that an author I loved had written Merlin fanfic, with brilliantly thought through plots and believable character evolution (instead of retaining the status quo), basically exploring all the potential, the show never quite lives up to.

There's not much change there, but I love it that there's new material.

Comment

Okay so the thread says spoilers, so I'm going to just keep most of this outside of tags...

Guys, I think I'm actually excited about Merlin again....that premiere was pretty AMAZING, IMO! I mean yes, I am still pissed that they went this route with Morgana, making her so unconditionally evil so quickly and with so little development. It does feel somewhat OOC to me still, especially her seeming disregard for Arthur (what is going to happen to him if Cenred invades?) and her smirking at Uther's pain and while killing that guard....cuz yeah, I don't believe the old true Morgana could ever see someone suffering like that and be so utterly unconflicted about it. Even in 2x12 we saw her look totally conflicted and torn as she stared at Uther with the sword in her hand.

But at this point, I guess I have given up on the writers on that point, and I'm just thrilled to see my girl getting some decent screen-time again, not to mention actually INTERACTING with people, like ARTHUR--I loved seeing Arthur actually give a damn about Morgana again, not to mention their first physical interaction ever--it's nice that the writers finally seemed to have remembered they did have a relationship (whether or not it was romantic)!

I also loved all the Uther/Morgana....his grim determination to find her no matter how many men died, no matter how impossible the quest seemed (that opening scene with Gauis was so chilling!), his wanting to rush in and see her immediately (I'm surprised he listened to Gauis and didn't just go in to see her anyway, he's the king!), their heartwarming reunion complete with his tears and his kissing her hand. (I don't care if she was pretending, it looked real and was certainly all real on his end!). His being DRUNK WITH HAPPINESS about her return (I was pretty drunk with happiness during this scene myself, lol) and this heartwarming/breaking little speech:

"I would have searched the entire world. The sea, the skies, the stars...for that smile. To have it stolen from me was like a blade to my heart. Morgana...there are no words. You mean more to me than you will ever know."

Just, gah! And then they played that beautiful Morgana feast theme that they need to put on the damn soundtrack, and which we haven't heard it since season 1.

One MAJOR concern though that someone on LJ brought to my mind is that his distracted little "indeed" in the scene with Gauis while discussing Gorlois might be a sign that Uther had been talking about himself with the "inherited a lot from her father", and that he is really her father...this would be quite a disturbing thought indeed, both on a "what an illogical retcon that goes so much against all of the show's canon thus far and the legend" level and more importantly on a "way to kill my favorite ship forever in the worst way possible" level... I must admit, this thought has made me really nervous and not quite as excited about the rest of the season as I was initially...because god, I don't think I could forgive the Merlin writers for that one, it would be worse than what happened to Arthur/Morgana, maybe even worse than what happened to Morgana....

BUT ANYWAY, I also just loved the plot in general of this episode, it's definitely one of the more interesting ones, much deeper and darker and more tense than the usual Merlin fare. I LOVED seeing Uther's psychological torment (the kid was especially creepy, it felt like a DW image), and Arthur's angst about him and possibly becoming regent (a storyline I didn't even think of, but which is awesome). I had no idea that this would be continuing beyond one epp, but I really love that it did, now THIS is the kind of storyline that merits a two-parter...we had just better see Gorlois as one of Uther's guilty hallucinations next epp (because I REALLY want to meet him, and this is the only way since they don't do flashbacks on the show), although now I'm nervous that if we do it will be a horrible reveal about Morgana's parentage...*sigh*

I also loved seeing Merlin squirm about Morgana telling Uther about the poisoning (AS WELL HE SHOULD)--it was a nice bit of that elusive "continuity" thing--and I loved that Morgana finally realized her was following her (about time!)...I also liked that those same creatures from 2x03 appeared to kill Merlin, another bit of shocking ~continuity~ from the writers....IDK what is going to happen though with Merlin able to tell Gauis about Evil!Morgana...and stupid wishywashy dragon being Merlin's ally now.

Finally, LOVED Morgause and Cenred, they had lots of chemistry (seriously, their interaction was more sizzling than any we've seen yet, IMO), and Cenred is much younger hotter than I ever expected when we first heard about him in season 2...so all those parts were also wonderful. And there were some nice Arthur/Merlin banter moments to add a little humor...

In short, a VERY exciting, intense, and epic episode with lots of action and good character moments and interactions, even though there were some serious flaws as well. But on the balance I very much enjoyed it (and have already rewatched certain scenes several times), it is already a favorite episode of mine I think, and I'd say that with the exception of "Sins of the Father" perhaps it was certainly better than all of season 2 put together. So it's an improvement on season 2 at least, and it's rekindled a lot of my interest in the show, so yay for that...

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I really loved the premiere as well! Definetely the best in three seasons, I think!

I had some difficulty, because I didn't remember what had happened last season... I was even trying to remember why Morgana hated Uther so much. The conclusion I came to is that I really should have rewatched season 2 this summer!

The episode was really big on the epicness, which is always welcome! Beutifully shot... Evil Morgana is hot and also kinda scary (but I think they overdid the evil grinning a bit, it started to become a little redundant. I read that Katie thought the same, but that the writers wanted to show Morgana as Evil!Evil!Evil! and so she went along with it).

This is something I have some issues with..as much fun as evil!Morgana is, I wish they had shown some conflict. I had troubles connecting this Morgana with the old Morgana. I could buy her ruthlessness towards Uther (who I should probably hate, but whose unconditional love for Morgana breaks my heart), but not so much towards Arthur and Gwen. Even though she has been brainwashed by Morgause and turned evil, there's no reason for her not to care about the people who are innocent in this, like Arthur or Gwen. This level of plain evilness is seldom compelling to me, so I hope some of the old Morgana will resurface in the course of the season.

As for Morgana - Merlin: great confrontations between the two, first in her chambers, and then later in the woods. This is setting up an epic contrast between them, looking forward to it!

Merlin - Arthur are still being mean to each other, but we know that deep down they love each other! I wish Arthur dropped the "Merlin-is-good-for-nothing act already, though.

Am I the only one who was grossed out by the giant scorpions at the end? I must be dense, because I didn't expect the dragon saving Merlin at the end... I had no idea of how Merlin was going to get out of that situation!! Glad to see you again, dragon!

Things are not looking too good for Camelot, with Cenred's army approaching... but fun times for us! Roll on next episode, and welcome back, show!!!!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                          Icon by xiperita

Comment

Originally posted by Francy View Post
                            The episode was really big on the epicness, which is always welcome! Beutifully shot... Evil Morgana is hot and also kinda scary (but I think they overdid the evil grinning a bit, it started to become a little redundant. I read that Katie thought the same, but that the writers wanted to show Morgana as Evil!Evil!Evil! and so she went along with it).

This is something I have some issues with..as much fun as evil!Morgana is, I wish they had shown some conflict. I had troubles connecting this Morgana with the old Morgana. I could buy her ruthlessness towards Uther (who I should probably hate, but whose unconditional love for Morgana breaks my heart), but not so much towards Arthur and Gwen. Even though she has been brainwashed by Morgause and turned evil, there's no reason for her not to care about the people who are innocent in this, like Arthur or Gwen. This level of plain evilness is seldom compelling to me, so I hope some of the old Morgana will resurface in the course of the season.
                            I agree and also I think it's a bit of a pity because the show does have a great setup in the way that the magic/not magic doesn't really draw the lines of good and evil the way Uther sees it.

I would have loved it to see Morgana as a bit more of a tortured villain. Someone who wants to fight Uther's politics every step of the way, even kill him,but who also has compassion for other folks in the castle.

Comment

I also think that evil Morgana is a bit over the top, the evil looks are also way too extreme (I know Katie isn't the best actress of the cast, but this was like an evil character in a cartoon.). I guess it has to do with Merlin being a show for childeren and they want to keep it black & white. Certainly if they want Merlin to fight her in the future. But at least something happens, the status quo is changing which is a blessing after season 2.

I liked the episode and I can't wait for the next episode.

And once more a legion of knights died, really how many noble men who want to be knights are there in Camelot and how many are still alive?

The return of the dragon... and Merlin riding the dragon in the preview made me think of Harry Potter in the third movie when he was riding Buckbeak.

Comment

Working...
                              X