Dr. Who related questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Who related questions

Dr. Who is basically not existent here in Germany and I have heard about the tv series for the first time on this forum. It seems to be a huge thing in the UK and I am a bit curious about how some things work in the Dr. Who-verse:

Is the Doctor immortal?

Does he remain basically the same person with the same memories whenever he regenerates or does he have to start from scrap? If he is in love with someone, will he still be in love with the same person after his regeneration? Has he ever been in love? Does he have sex?

Do people outside of Britain watch Dr. Who? What about our Australians, Canadians, and Americans. What about everyone else?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

For a while it was something here in the Netherlands, but they stopped airing a few years ago. It's on our Netflix now. I used to watch it on the BBC, but I stopped watching after the regeneration of 11.

From what I understand, same memories but the personality does change. This can influence romantic feelings, but it doesn't have to. Several versions of The Doctor have loved River Song by example. And from time to time a companion stays after the regeneration. Rose was the companion of both 9 and 10. And Clara traveled with 11 and 12. The regeneration didn't stop their platonic love (although it can change, Rose and 10 fell in love). Just like the complicated relationship with The Master (another regenerating timelord) is nearly always there, even if both constantly change.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
      Dr. Who is basically not existent here in Germany and I have heard about the tv series for the first time on this forum. It seems to be a huge thing in the UK and I am a bit curious about how some things work in the Dr. Who-verse:

Is the Doctor immortal?

Does he remain basically the same person with the same memories whenever he regenerates or does he have to start from scrap? If he is in love with someone, will he still be in love with the same person after his regeneration? Has he ever been in love? Does he have sex?

Do people outside of Britain watch Dr. Who? What about our Australians, Canadians, and Americans. What about everyone else?

flow
      "Is the Doctor immortal?"

Yes, up to a point. Canon in the show wobbles about from season to season. He's a time Lord which means he can regenerate. Used to be up to 12 regenerations, but now they've brought in a 'macguffin' to change that.

"Does he remain basically the same person with the same memories whenever he regenerates or does he have to start from scrap? If he is in love with someone, will he still be in love with the same person after his regeneration? Has he ever been in love? Does he have sex?"

He's usually a different personality, but some old traits may work their way to the surface occasionally often during the early days of his regeneration. And yes he has been in love a few times, but no, apart from River Song and 'maybe' Rose tyler he's not followed up on them. The whole romance bit is very much a new Who thing, rather then classic.

And no, so far no sexual encounters have been shown or listed.

Yes other countries get Who, such as America, and a smattering of others around the globe. I'm not sure what the list is currently but I know It used to be screened in Australia, Canada. I'm sure you'd be able to Google up the info.

Comment

When I was a kid, "Classic" Who was on Dutch TV as well, some years behind the UK. My older sister's Doctor was Four, mine was Five. Later, as a grown-up I watched New Who on the BBC, but I dropped out again by the end of the 11th Doctor's run.
        https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I grew up with Dr Who on in the house. I remember the 5th-7th Drs the most and then came the 10th Dr when I was a fair bit older. When he left I stopped watching it, I didn't want to move on.

Comment

Well I ended up working on 'classic Who' on and off for nearly 3 years, so the show still means a lot to me.

Comment

It used to run on ABC in Australia every week night. I am a casual fan and havent seen many of the classic eps, though they used to run in the childrens timeslot when I was a kid. Some of my retired neighbours were fans and have original fandom stuff like books and puzzles. It was cool to see.

I really liked the first few seasons of New Who but sort of wore out of it around the end of Matts Doctor ( I lose count). I did LOVE River song and would like to see all the eps featuring her one day. My favourite episode of all time is probably the Library one. That was just brilliant. Its a two parter but I'd use that ep to attract fans.

It was cool that it was a continuation from the old show, I think it was quite clever in that regard. I hope that if it was to be cancelled, it could pick up again in 10-15 years time in a similar way.

I saw some of Jodie (current doctor) and didnt find it as heavy handed on the social schooling as some do, I enjoyed it but watched it as it was intended to be - childrens programming. I didnt expect any more of it and it delivered. In my opinion some of the monsters and storylines got a bit full on for kids and Jodie's line seems to simplify it back to appeal to a younger audience. I still enjoyed it enough as an adult

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post

Is the Doctor immortal?

flow

This documentary might be of help
                https://youtu.be/KwN8Y7pZW_E

Comment

I think there are certain skills and talents the incarnations of the Doctor are more like to have. The Third Doctor had more marital arts abilities and a greater affinity for gadgets than most of the Doctors, but essentially they are the same person with a few quirks.I mean theoretically all the film James Bonds are the same person (at least until the Daniel Craig reboot and the 1960s spoof), but Roger Moore originally drank bourbon instead of vodka martinis and smoked cigars rather than cigarettes to distinguish himself from the previous actors. (And yes, Timothy Dalton could win an Oscar and beat them over the head with it.)

They more or less have the same memories, but often have a rocky couple of days immediately after the change where they are erratic.

In 1980s Canada it played on TVOntario twice a week (although the second showing was a repeat) and the American PBS stations (such as Channel 17, WNED in Buffalo for me) showed it more frequently and got it sooner than TVO did. But it was still months ... sometimes years... behind the UK broadcasts. Sometimes we watched episodes filmed on a North American video camera pointed at a UK television. Blurry — but we got those copies faster and it was cheaper than a NTSC/PAL video recorder would have been, back in the days when the VHS/Beta wars still were being waged. (The UK/Canadian dual citizenship teenager who showed them to us later went on to become a prominent human rights law professor in the UK.)

When Doctor Who came back in 2005, the CBC co-funded it and it was a very popular replacement as hockey was on strike that year. (One of the first TV producers of Hockey Night in Canada back in the 1950s was Sydney Newman who went on to co-create Doctor Who.) The classic series was a cult hit in the US and Canada. The post-2005 show is far more successful and mainstream.
                  Last edited by PuckRobin; 02-08-20, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X