Random Harry Potter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Harry Potter question

Thanks to Corona I am reading Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire to my eight-year-old AGAIN. We had just finished our last read but it was either re-reading this one or proceeding to the next one and I think he is still too young for the Order of the Phoenix.
    There is a question that popped up in my mind and maybe someone has an answer. (Spoiler alert!)

In book 4 Mad-Eye Moody comes to Hogwarts and teaches defense against the dark arts. We later learn that it wasn't Mad-Eye Moody but Barty Crouch junior impersonating Mad-Eye Moody by using the polyjuice potion. But - Mad-Eye Moody is a really good teacher in defense against the dark arts. He teaches the kids how to resist the Imperius curse. He doesn't have to do that. In fact, he could get into a lot of trouble for using an unforgivable curse against pupils. But he really helps Harry to get better at resisting the Imperius curse.

Why did he do that? Shouldn't Barty Crouch junior try to make them suck at defending themselves against the dark arts? Shouldn't he teach them nonsense that wouldn't actually help?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

My guess is that he knew that he should be as much as Moody as possible. Teaching kids incorrect or useless stuff would be noticed by Dumbledore and he knew that Dumbledore would be keeping an eye on everybody after Harry Potter's name was put in the goblet. If Dumbledore had doubts about him, he wouldn't have a chance to hex the cup (or curse Viktor Krum).

Comment

I thought he was teaching them forbidden magic in an attempt to radicalise them for later use in Voldermorts defence.

Comment

I think it does come down to just trying to be believably like him to not raise suspicions.

Comment

Most likely it was to make sure he wasn't found out. Dumbledore and Moody were friends, Barty needed to act as much like Moody as possible or it'd all be over. And Moody wouldn't teach them useless stuff, and would teach the Unforgivables. I think helping Harry fight off the Imperius was a mix of being true to Moody and his own curiosity. The ability to fight off the Imperius isn't something Barty would have expected to encounter in a 14 year old, even Harry Potter. I think he went with teaching the Unforgivables for another reason than being true to Moody though. It was scary, terrifying for some. I think he was hoping that the kids seeing what those spells could do, especially kids who had previously been affected like Harry and Neville, would scare them into either not fighting Voldemort or being so scared they would be easily defeated

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Great point about scaring them.
        Working...
        X