Spartacus Blood and Sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartacus Blood and Sand

Have been rewatching this on Netflix and it has Buffy Writer Steve Deknight on it.
    God it's so cheesy and incredibly homoerotic, with muscular men running around in loin cloths, yet if you park your brain at the door it is kind of fun. John Hannah and Lucy Lawless are great as the Husband and wife of the owners of Spartacus Gladiator school. While Andy whitfield was sympathetic as our titular hero.
    I'm on S3 now and the different actor they got as Spartacus does his best but he clearly isn't as good.
    What do others think ?

I remember watching watching a few episodes but never really got into the show. I'm a John Hannah fan and agree, he and and Lucy Lawless were great, from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I remember watching watching a few episodes but never really got into the show. I'm a John Hannah fan and agree, he and and Lucy Lawless were great, from what I remember.
      I admit it's not deep by any stretch but it is fun if you leave your brain at the door

Comment

Friend once called it Spartacus Boobs & Azz

Comment

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
          Friend once called it Spartacus Boobs & Azz
          Lol it pretty much is and it doesn't pretend otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
            Have been rewatching this on Netflix and it has Buffy Writer Steve Deknight on it.
            God it's so cheesy and incredibly homoerotic, with muscular men running around in loin cloths, yet if you park your brain at the door it is kind of fun. John Hannah and Lucy Lawless are great as the Husband and wife of the owners of Spartacus Gladiator school. While Andy whitfield was sympathetic as our titular hero.
            I'm on S3 now and the different actor they got as Spartacus does his best but he clearly isn't as good.
            What do others think ?
            Spartacus was great, actually.
            IMO, people just seem to look down on it because it has naked people and sex and it's on Starz. GoT had the same things but was far less mature and much more offensive about it (just compare their respective treatments of gay and bisexual people, or the male:female nudity ratio, or the lack of "Pod the Rod" jokes on Spartacus) but Starz doesn't have HBO's clout and reputation. So a Starz show is trash and you need to leave you brain somewhere to enjoy it, but GoT is supposed to be super smart and prestigious, even in seasons 5-8. (Sure.)
            GoT had ridiculous and pointless brothel scenes every minute just to show more female T&A, but that's Prestige TV, but muscular men in loincloths? Well, that must be trashy.

Steven DeKnight was the showrunner.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Spartacus is still on UK Netflix, but it's leaving 1st Feb if anyone wants to catch it before it goes.

Comment

Doesn't really appeal. But might give it a watch some time.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                  IMO, people just seem to look down on it because it has naked people and sex and it's on Starz. GoT had the same things but was far less mature and much more offensive about it (just compare their respective treatments of gay and bisexual people, or the male:female nudity ratio, or the lack of "Pod the Rod" jokes on Spartacus) but Starz doesn't have HBO's clout and reputation. So a Starz show is trash and you need to leave you brain somewhere to enjoy it, but GoT is supposed to be super smart and prestigious, even in seasons 5-8. (Sure.)
                  GoT had ridiculous and pointless brothel scenes every minute just to show more female T&A, but that's Prestige TV, but muscular men in loincloths? Well, that must be trashy.

A lot of those issue with GoT can be traced to George Martin dragging out a 3 book trilogy and not having a clue how to end it imo

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
                    A lot of those issue with GoT can be traced to George Martin dragging out a 3 book trilogy and not having a clue how to end it imo
                    No, these issues have absolutely nothing to do with George R.R. Martin. (And the series was only meant tot be a trilogy 30 years ago when it was the first draft, and when A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords were all supposed to be one book).

They're all about Benioff and Weiss.
                    Benioff and Weiss and HBO wanted to have as many naked women on screen as possible. Neil Marshall, the director of several of the famous battle episodes, was told by an unnamed exec.producer that he had to put a naked woman in the scene because of the "pervert demographic".
                    Benioff and Weiss invented the sexposition/Littlefinger monologue in season 1, the silly "Pod the Rod" storyline, and a bunch of other pointless sex scenes. Also added more rape for no reason.
                    Benioff and Weiss ignored and cut a bunch of major plots and rushed the show in the last few seasons, just because they wanted it over so they could do other things. Even though they could have left the show to someone who cared. Even though Martin thought the show could go on for 11 seasons at least, and HBO was willing to give Benioff and Weiss as many.
                    Benioff and Weiss are those that had absolutely no clue how to end it. And didn't care. As seen in their botched ending.
                    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

I actually liked both of the title-role actors. Andy Whitfield gives you the impression that's still thinking about Sura and imagining his old life. Liam McIntyre plays Sparty as focused straight ahead on the destroying the Roman order for what it took. The switch makes sense to me, given everything that happens in his abrupt transition from champion to general.

The other big recasting, of Naevia, bothered me more. Not because either actress gives a bad performance, but because, in terms of appearance, Cynthia Addai-Robinson and Lesley-Anne Brandt probably have less in common than two random women at the DMV. The flashback scene, where Crixus remembers being separated from her, makes it worse. We already saw that scene with the original actress; seeing it with someone who looks nothing like her is jarring. (Addai-Robinson does carry the dark!Naevia storyline well, though.)

My favorite season is probably Gods of the Arena, despite it not officially being one of the numbered seasons. It's the first one I saw, so maybe that endears it to me. I also really enjoy a couple of the relationships it has (Lucretia/Gaia and Naevia & Diona) that, for obvious reasons, have ended by the time of Blood and Sand.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post

I'd agree that Game of Thrones's supposed brilliance was overrated; the acting was always good, but the writing was mediocre. OTOH, one thing that it had, that Spartacus didn't, was the HBO budget. Spartacus is gorgeous, but only in a stylized way that makes no sense for the real time period that it's set in. (The Romans did not wear corsets, the Thracians did wear pants, and even prosperous lanistae wouldn't have had an inexhaustible supply of gold dust.) GOT could afford more realistic materials, and the pseudo-medieval setting made it easier to avoid abusing artistic license. I think the critics and awards voters were wowed enough by its extravagant and generally well-chosen visuals to ignore its questionable characterizations and repetitive intrigues.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoststar View Post
                        I actually liked both of the title-role actors. Andy Whitfield gives you the impression that's still thinking about Sura and imagining his old life. Liam McIntyre plays Sparty as focused straight ahead on the destroying the Roman order for what it took. The switch makes sense to me, given everything that happens in his abrupt transition from champion to general.

The other big recasting, of Naevia, bothered me more. Not because either actress gives a bad performance, but because, in terms of appearance, Cynthia Addai-Robinson and Lesley-Anne Brandt probably have less in common than two random women at the DMV. The flashback scene, where Crixus remembers being separated from her, makes it worse. We already saw that scene with the original actress; seeing it with someone who looks nothing like her is jarring. (Addai-Robinson does carry the dark!Naevia storyline well, though.)

My favorite season is probably Gods of the Arena, despite it not officially being one of the numbered seasons. It's the first one I saw, so maybe that endears it to me. I also really enjoy a couple of the relationships it has (Lucretia/Gaia and Naevia & Diona) that, for obvious reasons, have ended by the time of Blood and Sand.
                        The lack of resemblance between actresses was indeed distracting. And combined with Naevia's change, it felt like those were two completely different characters.

Recastings are always weird. It's unfortunate it happened that way. Their hands were tied when the first actress left, I wish they had cast Cynthia Addai-Robison from the start, so we could see how she would have played Naevia before her trauma. She would've certainly felt like a more consistent character.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd agree that Game of Thrones's supposed brilliance was overrated; the acting was always good, but the writing was mediocre. OTOH, one thing that it had, that Spartacus didn't, was the HBO budget. Spartacus is gorgeous, but only in a stylized way that makes no sense for the real time period that it's set in. (The Romans did not wear corsets, the Thracians did wear pants, and even prosperous lanistae wouldn't have had an inexhaustible supply of gold dust.) GOT could afford more realistic materials, and the pseudo-medieval setting made it easier to avoid abusing artistic license. I think the critics and awards voters were wowed enough by its extravagant and generally well-chosen visuals to ignore its questionable characterizations and repetitive intrigues.
                        Well, GoT didn't actually have to worry about historical accuracy, since it is set in a fictional world and not in any specific real time period. GRRM was inspired by real life history, but made his world just generally pseudo-medieval without specifying any exact period of Middle Ages.
                        Still, he tried to be more faithful to medieval European mentality, way of life etc. than most fantasy writers (how much he succeeded is questionable - for instance, he has way too many pre-teens and young teenagers getting married, which is more of a myth than the reality of the Middle Ages, young marriages weren't really that common). But at least he tried, for instance, in terms of costumes and armor being very rich and colorful, as they did, because it was a matter of showing status if you were a medieval nobleman. Of course, it's much easier to describe those things than actually afford them - books don't need a budget. GoT never tried with the men's costumes, but probably not because of the budget, but because of modern ideas about masculinity - they even had an anachronistic scene which implied that a man dressing in rich colorful clothes means he's gay - and because modern audiences are used to seeing black, grey and brown and a lot of leather as signs of shows being "dark and gritty". (Vikings do the same thing - historical Vikings wore much more colorful clothes, but to the modern audiences, the historically accurate costumes would look silly and clownish). It's a general tendency in modern medieval period dramas and pseudo-medieval fantasy both - as this article from a few years ago pointed out: https://www.tor.com/2014/11/18/histo...ge-of-netflix/
                        But even their women's costumes had some weird anachronisms, like Margaery wearing dresses with bare shoulders and arms, and even one that looked like something Bjork would wear.
                        Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 15-01-20, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X