Good Omens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Omens

I'm petty sure most of you have watched this, but it starts next Wednesday on BBC2, for those of us who couldn't see it previously.

Would you recommend it?

Have you read the book? I preferred it to the TV production. In fact, I was disappointed with the TV version but I think I was the only person in the world to have that experience.

It's got child actors in it and I think the US beats the UK hands down when it comes to child actors.
    sigpic

Comment

I've not read the book, and have no idea what the story is, except there's an angel and a devil? They must have banded together to save the world (or something). From the bits I've seen, it looks like both leads are over-acting their socks off, so I might not be able to watch the whole thing as I have a very low cringe threshold

Comment

I have recently watched it in passing. I haven't read the book and didn't know it existed. In my opinion, the series okay. Not the worst tv-show ever but nothing to die for either. Quite lovely sometimes. The ending (with the devil coming up from hell) is completely over-done.

flow
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Priceless:

From the bits I've seen, it looks like both leads are over-acting their socks off, so I might not be able to watch the whole thing as I have a very low cringe threshold
          Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That was my experience - and not just the leads. It's a shame because it's an excellent cast and an excellent book but I just found it...twee. Prepare to be ostracized - it seems to have a massive following.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            I'm petty sure most of you have watched this, but it starts next Wednesday on BBC2, for those of us who couldn't see it previously.
            I haven't and I've been waiting for it. Soooo excited. Thank you for flagging it. I don't really care about over acting, it's been ages since I've watched David Tennant in something.

I haven't read the book, although I love Pratchett and have read tons of the discworld. I only know roughly what Good Omens is about but I'm just looking forward to it regardless. I'll probably be disappointed, ha.

Comment

I adore Pratchett. Like King, I was there at the beginning. When Colour of Magic came out I was working in a library and I processed the book when it arrived on the van. It looked interesting so I borrowed it without knowing anything about it and never looked back. I've got all of the novels in hardback (including several copies of GO and signed copies); the oversize illustrated books; some of the non-fiction including the poster art book; the games and the jigsaws and a couple of pristine calendars. I've even got the radio productions on CD (inc.GO) and several of the films on DVD. I encouraged my eldest to read them and buying the latest Pratchett for him became a Christmas ritual. Neither of us has read the last novel because that means there's still a Pratchett left to read...and Sir Terry's not really dead.

I SO WANTED TO LOVE IT!...
              sigpic

Comment

Would you recommend it?
                Haven't read the book. The series was great. David Tennant and Michael Sheen were perfect. It also has Mirabda Ruchardson, Michael McKeen and a most adorable...nevermind, I don't want to spoil it.

The comments about "overacting" are making me laugh. What are you all expecting, low key and realistic acting right from some contemporary social drama, for the roles of an angel and devil in a Neil Gaiman comedy? Geez.
                You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                  Haven't read the book. The series was great. David Tennant and Michael Sheen were perfect. It also has Mirabda Ruchardson, Michael McKeen and a most adorable...nevermind, I don't want to spoil it.

The comments about "overacting" are making me laugh. What are you all expecting, low key and realistic acting right from some contemporary social drama, for the roles of an angel and devil in a Neil Gaiman comedy? Geez.
                  No - of course I wasn't expecting it to be realist but nor was I wasn't expecting quite as much gurning. It just wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. I thought the novel was funnier and had a bit more edge. That said, I don't think any of the Pratchett adaptations have been as good as the books.

@Priceless - The Guardian gives it 3/5 - BTL the comments are mixed. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ith-dill-sauce

Apparently, Rotten Tomatoes had 95% from the audience, 75% from critics.

I think the next Pratchett is Guards, Guards. I'm waiting to see what they do with Sam Vimes.
                  sigpic

Comment

You have seen who has been cast as Sam though? The most compelling voice in Richard Dormer. :clap:

Comment

I enjoyed Good Omens a lot. On the acting, I'm agreed with TTB-- it was just what I'd expected for this type of production. Alll the actors were clearly having a lot of fun doing it and I thought it was fun to watch. I read the book, but only recently, after I had already seen scenes from the TV version. So when reading it, in my head I already pictured David Tennant and Michael Sheen as Crowley and Aziraphel. Maybe that helped.
                      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I just added it a weekor so ago to my watchlist on Prime. I haven't started yet.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

TriBel, do you think you were disappointed because your expectations were so high? When you love the source material so much, it's rare an adaption can live up to it. I know nothing going in, so my expectations are pretty even.

Comment

TriBel, do you think you were disappointed because your expectations were so high? When you love the source material so much, it's rare an adaption can live up to it. I know nothing going in, so my expectations are pretty even.
                            Possibly - though I was relieved to find I wasn't on my own. I didn't "hate" it - it was okay but just too OTT for me. Here's one comment I agree with from The Guardian: "It's good, not brilliant. Felt a bit rushed in places. The voiceover made it feel like I was watching Pushing Up Daisies and the visuals were a bit Harry Potteresque. Felt at times like it didn't know if it wanted to be for kids or adults. Too many silly voices and faces. A&C were good. Michael Sheen pretty much nails Aziraphale but Tennant was ok not who I picture as Crowley".

Tennant should have worked in the role but, for me, he didn't. I actually found him unlikeable (and Crowley in the book isn't) but, more than anything, I wanted him to stop bloody gurning.

I think bespangled enjoyed it - and she's a big Pratchett fan.
                            sigpic

Comment

I watched the first episode and thought it was terrible. I might watch some more sometime.

Comment

Working...
                              X