Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

The Witcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My eldest is watching it. He's played the game, read the novels (?) and seemed to acquire a load of very large, very glossy Witcher-related books over Christmas. I watched half of the first episode and was a bit "meh" about it. That said, I was initially "meh" about GoT, Broadwalk Empire and The Wire so maybe it's a good sign.
    sigpic

Comment

I know nothing about it and tried to watch it - fell asleep. I'll give it another try. The production values are great but the story was...mostly someone was talking.
      Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Thought the 2 meeting up would happen, I dunno, but like sometime sooner than the very last scene! Maybe they shoulda renamed the series: How I Met Your Witcher?

Comment

Just watched the first episode. It was okay, but didn't grip me. Henry Cavill is actually really good, so I'll keep watching.

One thing I'm not sure about . . . if he's the Witcher, a mutant, and the townsfolk hate him etc., why does everyone else seem to have magical powers too? What is the difference?

Comment

I've given it another try - my kid wanted to binge it with me. It's confusing the way the three different timelines are wound together, but now that I can tease them apart I really love it. I'll be watching for the next season. Apparently this is based on the books and not the game. The female characters are powerful.

Priceless - I'm not sure where you're at but most people don't have magic. There are mages, and Ciri meet the dryads, which are magical beings - that group of black women with power in the forest. The universe draws on some classics. Magic is that ability to control chaos. It's nicely defined in the universe.
            Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

I was surprised by how much I liked it. I didnt go into it with high expectations and sort of had it on for background noise. But I will rewatch it and try to understand more of the story. I got a bit confused with the timelines but I think I could follow it fine if I pay attention. It made me laugh more than I thought with some silly swear lines and the costumes and world was pretty cool.

I didn't think it would be my kind of fantasy, but it was a good watch and made me more open to the genre.

Comment

I'm afraid I didn't even pick up on three different timelines. Can someone explain why Witcher is hated? Or will that be explained later on? That blonde girl screams and buildings fall, that bloke can imagine a palace with naked women into being, that other bloke can magically protect the castle keep . . . everyone has powers, so why is the Witcher picked out for hatred when everyone else seems to have some sort of magic about them, that makes no sense to me. What has he done that's so terrible?

Comment

My friend Robert is currently making outfits for Henry Cavil for season 2 as well as a load of armour for back ground characters. He's already had a fitting with him and say Mr Cavil comes across as a nice bloke. Apparently 'Witcher' will sport a slightly different look for season 2. As I told my friend I tried watching this and I'm afraid I couldn't stick with it. The dialogue was rather cringe worthy and It just bored me.

Comment

The most cringe-worthy part for me was the masquerade orgy. I hadn't been paying attention and then suddenly looked up to a screen full of boobs

The dialogue was odd, but it grew on me with the inappropriate swearing and predictable delivery, it sort of felt to be part of its charm. It made me laugh unexpectedly and question wtf was going on, yet added to the enjoyment of the complete mental world it is. The costumes were amazing.

I will probably re-watch soon, as there was a whole lot I missed, though I don't think it was made to be picked to pieces and taken super seriously.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    I'm afraid I didn't even pick up on three different timelines. Can someone explain why Witcher is hated?
                    Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is because he has Witch blood, his mum was a witch. The main characters are powerful but the peasants/townsfolk don't have powers.

Plus, he's a bit of a dick if you haven't noticed yet. I didn't follow the timelines either til closer til the end so it was a head spin for me too.

Spoiler:
                    Yenifers tranformation was completely predictable and her "ugly deformed ducking" form was simply dumb yet funny for being dumb. I don't think she was some amazing actor as some articles report. She just looked like she had gobstoppers in her mouth and a bowling ball on her back. I am not sure if it was supposed to be humorous. but it was for me. Especially as she still had perfect tits in her sex scene with an audience. That kind of thing makes me laugh - it cant be meant to be taken seriously, surely?

Comment

From what I understand Witchers were once normal childeren who were magically mutated by Witchers (who can't have children, so they need to use regular kids and modify them in order not to go extinct as a race). Only the strongest kids survive and become Witchers. We see another Witcher from Geralt's 'clan' in one of the episodes and that man doesn't have unnatural white hair. Geralt lost pigmentation after undergoing more mutations than other Witchers during the training.

Anyway, I suspect that people are simply scared of them. From what it looks like, they are loners and do not fight for human monarchs (unlike the witches and warlocks). They are created to be fighting machines and there are strong rumours that Witchers do not have emotions or empathy. Plus, they are rather odd and stand out. It's the kind of stuff that makes people scared.

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That explains a lot, thanks Nina

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      I'm afraid I didn't even pick up on three different timelines. Can someone explain why Witcher is hated? Or will that be explained later on? That blonde girl screams and buildings fall, that bloke can imagine a palace with naked women into being, that other bloke can magically protect the castle keep . . . everyone has powers, so why is the Witcher picked out for hatred when everyone else seems to have some sort of magic about them, that makes no sense to me. What has he done that's so terrible?
                      I think people are scared of therm because Witchers supposedly have no emotions, or at least that's what people keep saying. Witchers are immortal, and they hire themselves out to kill things - and will kill anyone in their way. We saw Gerralt kill plenty of humans that got in his way, so that's fair. Most people probably never see one in their whole life. That's my read - though I am planning on checking out the books.

The blond girl, Ciri, screams and the building fell but I don't think she has any idea why, let alone us. I'm figuring that's endgame. The naked woman guy is a mage, and so is the guy who protects the castle as long as he can. Yennefer - the ugly one who gave up her womb (okay, really!) to be beautiful - and her teacher also control magic. Regular humans don't do magic which leaves them at a disadvantage. That's another reason for fear and hate in a magical realm.

Comment

I have now watched the second episode and figured out the three timeliness, mainly because the Witchers hair is yellow not grey The second ep was much better than the first, with a lot more comedy and horror, both of which were great. That singer made me lol

Comment

I'm upto Ep 5 and I am loving this show. It's incredibly silly and cheesy in parts, which makes it fun, then it hits you with something really powerful and makes you think it has real depth.

Plus, so far, no happy prostitutes to be seen, so 10/10 for that

Comment

• Stoney
                            Stoney commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm really disappointed I can't get this on Sky (without paying more for Netflix too), I really fancy it.

I've watched the first 4 episodes and I'm kind of confused. I see the 3 storylines but had no idea that they were in different times. Does that get explained later?
                          ā€œ

I like who I am when Iā€™m with him. I like who we are together.ā€

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                            I've watched the first 4 episodes and I'm kind of confused. I see the 3 storylines but had no idea that they were in different times. Does that get explained later?
                            Well I'm only on ep 5 and it's not been explained yet. We've seen what happens between The Withcher and Yennifer at the end in ep 1 so I guess we're seeing the lead up to that. An the blonde screamy girl (Ciri??) belongs to the Witcher because of that Strangers clause or whatever it's called, where he said 'I'll take the first thing you get that you don't expect' ,and then the queens daughter pukes up So she's preggers and that baby belongs to Witcher now.

Comment

Working...
                            X