No announcement yet.

WestWorld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched this show through the end of season one. Afterwards, it became impossible to continue. My issues were threefold:

1) it could not make up its mind about whether it aspired to be a myth about the dangers of creating autonomous artificial life (old hat, but fascinating and edifying if executed well) or a parable about the pathological attachments formed from the lack of accountability in playing video games (newer hat, but less ambitious);

2) the thematic vision of artificial life offered by the show ("consciousness is a journey inward") produces at best autism (not trying to criticize neurodiverse people at all) and at worst sociopathy (I cannot stress enough how dangerous the season's characterization of the Gestalt process of artificial life is. In fact a sizable portion of my life is dedicated to propagating and executing the idea that, if artificial life, the capacity for non-human intersubjective knowledge (not merely artificial intelligence, which is just basically the ability to play games effectively) is possible, then it is only possible through a journey outward);

3) the scenes further along in the timeline so vastly outstripped those before in quality of both intention and execution as to fracture my capacity to suspend disbelief.

Perhaps, as a programmer as well as a philosophy and social sciences autodidact, this show was never going to be easy for me to take on a surface level...all the same, the promise at hand was staggering. As it stands, a complete mess, and an unintentionally corrosive one. Perhaps this well was poisoned in advance, or perhaps I poisoned it for myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Quake View Post

Somewhat. There were a heap of biblical parallels, a bit like in The Matrix. I'd have to watch it again (and pay better attention) to list them all.

Just a few (over simplified) examples here - hosts were created in their image, "paradise- like" existence (original programming), evil entering the paradise/westworld, evil measured against the creation, evil now drives the creation, what we are is already written, seeing the truth and given the choice, free will vs the plan or is the truth of free will in completing the plan = Promise of a fantasy after death etc etc... I could go on and on but it bores people ha ha. I don't think I care enough to write an essay on it, unless there was a reason to. '

The music (score?) choice is sort of strange too. It could be a timeless show but they've linked it with 90's soft rock and 99 luftballons in s3? Being set a short time in the future, mainstream music of the last few decades seems bizarre. I'd call it a try hard if it was a human instead of a show.
      And yet you've just listed some of the reasons I bloody love this show. Far better imo that a lot of the other run of the mill dross thats currently doing the rounds.

Comment

I enjoy biblical based stories too, which is why I have continued watching. Its just not exceptionally unique in that regard.

It does touch on other issues that others in this thread have pointed out, but the parallels to the bible were most obvious and appealing to me.

Comment

I'm an atheist and all that kinda mumbo jumbo passed me by I'm afraid.

Comment

If you liked what I listed here you might like the bible stories. It's the bare basics of it.

Just a few (over simplified) examples here - hosts were created in their image, "paradise- like" existence (original programming), evil entering the paradise/westworld, evil measured against the creation, evil now drives the creation, what we are is already written, seeing the truth and given the choice, free will vs the plan or is the truth of free will in completing the plan = Promise of a fantasy after death etc etc...
            You don't have to believe in it to enjoy the ride.

The story is just told again in different forms. It's through a lot of current popular books and television, even Whedons, just most people don't seem to realise because they are so unfamiliar with the source.

I'll be interested to see where Deloris goes in s3, if she continues on an evil Jesus path or ventures onto a new story base. She has set up the ultimate good/evil war...

The nazi bit looks lame.

Comment

Sorry, an easy pass for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                Sorry, an easy pass for me...
                As it is for many people I find it fun. There are so many stories, essentially exactly the same, drawing crowds that are frightened of touching the source material.

1) it could not make up its mind about whether it aspired to be a myth about the dangers of creating autonomous artificial life (old hat, but fascinating and edifying if executed well) or a parable about the pathological attachments formed from the lack of accountability in playing video games (newer hat, but less ambitious);
                I do agree with this (sorry I cant figure out how to quote your name war and peaches ). It touches on topics, but doesn't expand in any meaningful way. It showed as evil was allowed, evil spread. There was no lesson, no consequence for it. Simply a "situation supported" spiral into sociopathy.

I have nothing but time on my hands, so I might watch season 3 when it is finished. I saw bits of the first episode but am in no rush to keep up as it airs. I think it was better to have watched s2 in binge format as weekly would have been even more frustrating to follow. I managed to finish an entire crochet scarf while watching s2

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you click to 'quote' multiple people's posts then the 'post reply' button at the top left above your avatar will show the number of posts you have selected and clicking that will insert them all into your reply box for editing and responding to.

• Quake
                  Quake commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ta Stoney

Getting stuck into season 3 (and a new crochet jumper). Pretty much on the track I thought it would go, so far. It wasn't a twist to know who was in the replacement hosts, but I think it was supposed to be. I like that they are still circling the concept of creation and creator God.

I prefer this opening sequence too, circle of black thorn Also a YAY moment when the end of the game is criminal insanity as those who dropped it in season 1 predicted. Got more thoughts on that but no order to them I'm counting stitches. Still a few eps to go. Short seasons are disappointing but there are some good one liners throughout the series which seems to be the memorable point.

Finished it (the show, not the jumper) . Nothing too thrilling, interesting again how biblical it continues to be, although they've tried to distract from it with blasphemy. Maybe that was just pinpointing Satan though. "357 Hope street" was as on the nose as Season 2's death on a white horse.

The pattern of dead boring switching to sort of artistic keeps on keeping on. Deloris/Jesus was completely predictable as was caleb but it wasn't tall bad on the way there. Some fun elements. I don't think there needs to be a season 4, does anyone know if its planned?
                Last edited by Quake; 11-05-20, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X