No announcement yet.

Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am excited to see the new Doctor tonight Must admit I'm also a bit excited to see what Bradley Walsh brings to the show

- - - Updated - - -

Loved it.
    Spoiler:
    Jodie was fantastic, loved her jumping from the crane. I loved Bradley Walsh in his West Ham scarf, he made me cry. Loved that it was set in the North. Just all so good

Comment

• I watched it - I've had to write this because I'm not sure I can do just a spoiler!

Spoiler:
      Liked it on the whole (though I've seen Jodie's accent mislabeled several times). She was good - clearly channeling the earlier Doctors - it'll be nice to see her become her own person. LOL! - the clothes - straight from the "Playschool" dressing up box! I half expected her to disappear through "the round window". BW was more dour than I expected - (too long spent in Yorkshire?). Not sure about the companions yet and the script was a bit weak but they've obviously spent money elsewhere - the alien was genuinely scary! Where's she parked the Tardis? I lost my car on a car park today but it's not quite as obvious as a blue police box!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TriBel View Post
        I watched it - I've had to write this because I'm not sure I can do just a spoiler!

Spoiler:
        Liked it on the whole (though I've seen Jodie's accent mislabeled several times). She was good - clearly channeling the earlier Doctors - it'll be nice to see her become her own person. LOL! - the clothes - straight from the "Playschool" dressing up box! I half expected her to disappear through "the round window". BW was more dour than I expected - (too long spent in Yorkshire?). Not sure about the companions yet and the script was a bit weak but they've obviously spent money elsewhere - the alien was genuinely scary! Where's she parked the Tardis? I lost my car on a car park today but it's not quite as obvious as a blue police box!
        I agree
        Spoiler:
        It was far more serious than I expected, but I liked that. I liked Grace's death, that made me cry even though it was expected. The only thing I really disliked was when she stuck her finger up her nose, that was just gross, but I bet the kids liked it. Didn't you think it was quite empowering? I loved her jumping to the next crane 'if you want something doing, do it yourself' (or similar line) which I really loved. I was so happy to see it set in Sheffield rather than London. I just loved it!

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow, and I might change my opinion after a second watch.

Comment

• These are the things I liked (apart from Jodie). TBH, I stopped forgetting she was female - is that a good thing or a bad thing? The nose thing?

Spoiler:
          The Peak District; the pettiness of the bike in the tree; Ryan running against the stereotype of a black athlete; The steam punky goggles - how can you look cute in goggles?

Things I think there'll be moans about from the more right wing press (The Guardian liked it - both ATL and BTL).*

Spoiler:
          The demographic of Sheffield; that the women were more capable than the men

Oh...I'm gonna be really suspicious the next time I see a half-eaten kebab!

*LOL! I shouldn't laugh but I've just visited the comments section of a well-known English newspaper. They're so predictable.
          Last edited by TriBel; 07-10-18, 10:26 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• I liked it, even though I found It all rather bland and predictable. Definitely nothing we haven't seen before, but as we know It takes time for a new Doctor to settle in, so I'm hoping for better down the line.

I'm afraid I found the young black bloke to be incredibly personality free sadly. Like he's fallen out of an episode of 'Class'.

Comment

• Really enjoyed the premiere - only disappointed the new Doctor doesn’t wear a hat. I love it when the Doctor wears a hat.

On second thought, her coat has a hood, so it’s all good!

From an American who rarely made it up past Oxfordshire - if that’s the Sheffield countryside, it’s gorgeous.
              Last edited by American Aurora; 08-10-18, 03:49 AM.

Comment

These are the things I liked (apart from Jodie). TBH, I stopped forgetting she was female - is that a good thing or a bad thing? The nose thing?

Spoiler:
                The Peak District; the pettiness of the bike in the tree; Ryan running against the stereotype of a black athlete; The steam punky goggles - how can you look cute in goggles?

Things I think there'll be moans about from the more right wing press (The Guardian liked it - both ATL and BTL).*

Spoiler:
                The demographic of Sheffield; that the women were more capable than the men

Oh...I'm gonna be really suspicious the next time I see a half-eaten kebab!

*LOL! I shouldn't laugh but I've just visited the comments section of a well-known English newspaper. They're so predictable.
                Are people actually moaning about the new Doctor? Seriously?? All I can say is that on my Twitter timeline, everyone loved Jodie and most loved the episode. It's beyond me why anyone wouldn't

Spoiler:
                Did you think the kebab man who Tim Shaw killed was actually Ryan's dad, which is why he didn't come to the funeral?

Comment

• The paper I visited had two articles: one saying it was good and one saying it was bad. Even their readers pulled them up over it!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Does anyone else think the new titles look like a giant purple cervix? That might be deliberate, what with it being a female Doctor, does anyone know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      Does anyone else think the new titles look like a giant purple cervix? That might be deliberate, what with it being a female Doctor, does anyone know?
                      LOL! My son said the same!

21/10 - Dr Who made me cry - first time since the David Tennant/Matt Smith regeneration.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Doctor is a cute girl now. Truly, this is the best timeline.

Comment

LOL! My son said the same!

21/10 - Dr Who made me cry - first time since the David Tennant/Matt Smith regeneration.
                          I haven't seen the latest episode yet. I'm not actually looking forward to it . . . there's just something a bit disingenuous about using the Civil Rights movement to base an episode of a scfi tv show on . . . like people's struggles are being used for entertainment. I know I'm wrong, and social media has been very positive about the episode, and I just have to get over my 'distaste'

- - - Updated - - -

Well I've seen it and I was in tears. It was really well done, but I can see why people found it a good educational tool to discuss with their kids. I do have to say Bradley Walsh is great as Graham, possibly pushing for one of my favourite companions

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I haven't seen the latest episode yet. I'm not actually looking forward to it . . . there's just something a bit disingenuous about using the Civil Rights movement to base an episode of a scfi tv show on . . . like people's struggles are being used for entertainment. I know I'm wrong, and social media has been very positive about the episode, and I just have to get over my 'distaste'

- - - Updated - - -

Well I've seen it and I was in tears. It was really well done, but I can see why people found it a good educational tool to discuss with their kids. I do have to say Bradley Walsh is great as Graham, possibly pushing for one of my favourite companions
                            It shouldn't have worked but it did - I was simultaneously heartbroken and thrilled for Ryan and Yaz. And poor Graham... He was mortified.
                            sigpic

Comment

It shouldn't have worked but it did - I was simultaneously heartbroken and thrilled for Ryan and Yaz. And poor Graham... He was mortified.
                              When Yaz and Ryan were sat in that alley, hiding, because of their colour - just heartbreaking. I loved how Graham spoke about his wife, and how she'd educated him, and why this was important to him, and how proud he was to tell that racist f**ker that Ryan was his grandson.

Comment

• I really enjoyed the Rosa Parks episode - for once, the show really captured an American moment in history (awful as it was and still can be ) and I felt it brought back one of the best aspects of the original and new Who - shows that touched on famous historical moments, inviting kids to explore further.

From The Crusades to the Magna Carta to the destruction of Pompeii, the show always had a unique take that was very different from other children's shows. The episode with Van Gogh is still my favorite.

A review of the latest episode actually compared it to Buffy:

I’ve been trying to nail the dynamic of the team for the past few episodes, but seeing them play off each other and split up here reminds me of the gang in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That’s not just because Jodie Whittaker‘s Doctor is a fast-talking blonde superheroine either — there’s an equality and comfortability to Team TARDIS’s dynamic that is proving to be incredibly fun to watch. Yaz and Ryan flirting! Ryan and Graham gleefully goading a racist bus driver! Graham posing as Steve Jobs! Plus it’s so refreshing to see the Doctor thinking out loud and working her way through a plan with input from the group.
                                https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-who-rosa-review/
                                Last edited by American Aurora; 25-10-18, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X