No announcement yet.

Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah! I do remember seeing your instructor with the helicopter remote, then!

Apparently, the blue ball (that didn't come out right) Dalek there is from The Evil of the Daleks. Be still my heart.

(Suddenly coming to mind is the story about how Jamie's original reaction to the Emperor Dalek was supposed to be "Look at the balls on that thing, Doctor.", but Frazer couldn't say it with a straight face despite the director telling him to say the line and that he was an adult actor, so "Look at the size of that thing, Doctor." was born in its place. Speaking of that story and double-entendres, another line that had to get removed from the script because the actors did a "You can't say that!" was Jamie's first line to Victoria upon rescuing her--"Quick, Miss Waterfield. Up your passage way." And there's quite the raunchy little scene in the Tricolour coffee bar with one of the waitresses in the novelization!

Speaking of those lines, Nicholas Courtney couldn't say "Jimmy, I want you to get aboard my chopper and tell Benton to lay on a jeep." It, too, had to be changed. Also a Troughton story. Seeing a pattern here? LOL.)
    Last edited by NileQT87; 02-04-12, 11:45 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

• If you see the gold Dalek on screen, that's the one Mr Instructor usually operates these days, or so I'm told by Mrs Instructor, who is rather bemused by it all. He used to have one that he regularly took around to various events, but I'm not sure if he still does that now. I know he's been knackered because of all the 6am calls these last couple of weeks - he's over 70 now.

Comment

• One of the RTD ones, you mean? Gold Dalek makes me think of Remembrance of the Daleks (gold balls, white Dalek).

We need someone hiding in a Dalek, Ian and First Doctor-style.

And one of my most favorite Trought!faces ever is from Evil where he turns his head to see the Dalek coming through the doorway. Beautiful.

Last edited by NileQT87; 02-04-12, 12:04 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

• Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
          We need someone hiding in a Dalek, Ian and First Doctor-style.
          I think that might be my favourite moment in The Daleks. So funny. Ah, the days when the Dalek mythos had yet to develop and they were all shiny and new...

Comment

• Funny thing I saw pointed out about the '60s Dalek picture (apparently, these Daleks were all borrowed off of the Doctor Who Experience displays)... For some reason, David Tennant's Chucks and Sylvester McCoy's spats from DWE are also in the background. LOL.

Look at those shoes on the left-hand side:

Why at least the shoes from the DWE costumes are on set, I have no idea!

The display Daleks (none are actually originals, though originals exist in varying levels of preservation--I know Pertwee's Bessie and the Whomobile are in private hands today, but Bessie is looking a bit worse for wear--there are some fan-build Bessies out there, too--and I know the costumes for the first three Doctors are fakes at DWE--Troughton's has a mistake as his second pair of trousers were houndstooth, not checked--not to mention they had a gaping tear in the knee by The War Games!--they also have an original '80s and the RTD console at DWE):

http://totaljapandemonium.wordpress....ho-experience/

Eleven pairs of clothes!:
            Spoiler:

What the surviving Daleks of yore are looking like today:
            http://www.dalek6388.co.uk/where-are-the-daleks-now.htm
            Last edited by NileQT87; 03-04-12, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• This thread has been mostly killed off (by me), but I just wanted to note that Caroline John (Liz Shaw--and her husband was Geoffrey Beevers who played the Traken crispy!Master) passed away last month and Mary Tamm's (Romana I) death was just announced a few hours ago. She was only 62 (cancer--again).

That's four companions in the last year and a half. They're going too fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpPUjnGjOBk

Doctor: I'm so sorry, K-9. The holiday's off.
              Romana: Doctor?
              Doctor: That's the new assistant.
              Romana: My name is Romanadvoratrelundar.
              Doctor: I'm so sorry about that. Is there anything we can do?
              Romana: The President of the Supreme Council sent me. I was told to give you this.
              Doctor: What's this?
              Romana: According to my instructions, it's the core to the Key of Time.
              Doctor: Ah.
              Romana: Very exciting, isn't it?
              Doctor: Yes, I suppose it must be for someone as young and inexperienced as you are.
              Romana: I may be inexperienced, but I did graduate from the Academy with a triple first.
              Doctor: I suppose you think we should be impressed by that, too?
              Romana: Well, it's better than scraping through with fifty-one percent at the second attempt.
              Doctor: That information is confidential! That President. I should have thrown him to the Sontarans when I had the chance.
              Romana: Oh, do you want to know how that works?
              Doctor: I know how it works.
              Romana: You have to plug it into your TARDIS controls, just there.
              Doctor: A hole. What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?
              Romana: I put it there.
              Doctor: You? You put a hole in my T...? Never mind, old girl. Never mind. I'll soon have it fixed.
              Last edited by NileQT87; 26-07-12, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Not you, Nile, there just hasn't been much to talk about lately - or there aren't that many people here who want to talk about Who, perhaps.

I saw the news about Mary Tamm this morning, very sad, especially coming so soon after Caroline John.

Comment

• One of the greatest outtakes ever: drunk K-9 singing and Tom, when asked what the Doctor wants for Christmas, gives Mary a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZktJG7-FqY

Love that clip so much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18995370
                  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...er-age-62.html
                  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-baker-1169800
                  http://news.sky.com/story/965307/dr-...-cancer-battle
                  http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-w...%E2%80%93-2012
                  http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1226436175304
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...t-aged-62.html
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...?newsfeed=true
                  http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...mary-tamm-dies
                  http://io9.com/5929186/rip-mary-tamm...riginal-romana
                  http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/26/doct...-dies-aged-62/
                  http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/07/...mm-dies-at-62/
                  http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/07...1950-2012.html

Tom Baker (Fourth Doctor): She was a darling companion and wonderfully witty and kind. I'm so sorry to hear of her death.
                  Colin Baker (Sixth Doctor): Shellshocked to hear Mary Tamm is gone. A funny, caring, talented, lovely and down to earth lady. My heart goes out to Marcus and Lauren
                  Nicola Bryant (Peri): Just heard the terrible news that Mary Tamm has died. Completely shocked. Very sad. Thoughts go to Marcus & Lauren. RIP Mary.
                  Frazer Hines (Jamie): I couldn't believe it either . Toby your profile pic says it all. What is happening ??? / I'm still reeling from the shock of Mary passing away!always a smiley friendly person whenever we met at cons.
                  Anneke Wills (Polly): Mary Tamm - How sad! A brave, beautiful woman, she will be greatly missed. I'm grateful to have known her. Such losses! Three special Doctor Who women in just over a year. So sad. Love Anneke x
                  Kai Owen (Rhys): Sad news indeed. RIP Mary Tamm.
                  Edward Russell (brand manager): My condolences to Mary Tamm's family. As a companion, Romana was my hero when I was 8 years old. So very sad. Guess we've reached that point in Doctor Who's history where it's time for many of its rich cast to say goodbye. Thank you for taking part.
                  Nicholas Briggs (actor, Big Finish): Very sad indeed about the death of Mary Tamm. She was so much fun and lovely to work with. I shall miss her.
                  Barnaby Edwards (actor): Very sad to hear of the death of Mary Tamm. A lovely actress and a sharp, witty person.
                  Nicholas Pegg (actor): Raising a glass to the beautiful, talented, funny Mary Tamm. So young. What sad news.
                  Paul Cornell: I'm so sorry to hear about Mary Tamm. It's an obit every month in DWM these days. How terrible.
                  Andy Pryor (casting director): Sad times. Caroline John and now Mary Tamm. We salute you both.
                  Gary Russell (script editor): Mary Tamm, funny, sweet, smart and utterly outrageous. Will miss her so much RIP xxx
                  Toby Hadoke (performer): Reeling from the news that Mary Tamm has passed away. RIP. And what?!
                  Benjamin Cook (DWM): Such sad news about Mary Tamm. I interviewed her once, in 2009. (Couldn't believe she was old enough to be a grandmother.) RIP. "I never, ever thought of Romana as a sex symbol," she said. "Glamorous, but not sexy… An old-fashioned, movie star style."
                  Gary Gillatt (DWM): Mary Tamm now. Another tragedy. What an awful year it's been to be a Doctor Who fan. This terrible silence, slowly rolling over it all.
                  Steven Moffat: I remember Mary Tamm's first appearance so vividly - the ice Queen on the TARDIS. The Time Lady who thought the Doctor was HER companion. Perfectly brought to life by Mary, with such style and wit, you always thought she could have kicked the Doctor out of the time machine and got on with the adventure herself. A generation of little girls threw away the idea of being an assistant, and decided to fly the TARDIS for themselves.

R.I.P. William Hartnell, Jacqueline Hill, Adrienne Hill, Michael Craze, Patrick Troughton, Nicholas Courtney, Jon Pertwee, Caroline John, Roger Delgado, Elisabeth Sladen, Ian Marter, Mary Tamm & Anthony Ainley
                  Last edited by NileQT87; 26-07-12, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Memories... I've probably been watching Doctor Who longer than most people on this site... 1963, happy memories. Apart from the horror that was Sylvester Mcoy I watched the programme in an almost unbroken line... Then came Matt Smith. I really tried to take to him, watched his first season in the role, but for me the magic just didn't appear. Not helped by the fact that I find pouting Amy Pond really annoying and can't abide the new tardis interior, temporal engineering meets Mary Quant.... Sadly I've given up on the programme for the present. Maybe the doctor's next incarnation will catch my imagination...

Comment

• Originally posted by Giles View Post
                      Memories... I've probably been watching Doctor Who longer than most people on this site... 1963, happy memories. Apart from the horror that was Sylvester Mcoy I watched the programme in an almost unbroken line... Then came Matt Smith. I really tried to take to him, watched his first season in the role, but for me the magic just didn't appear. Not helped by the fact that I find pouting Amy Pond really annoying and can't abide the new tardis interior, temporal engineering meets Mary Quant.... Sadly I've given up on the programme for the present. Maybe the doctor's next incarnation will catch my imagination...
                      I was a childhood Doctor Who fan, but can't claim to have been watching as long as you - early 80s would have been when I was old enough to notice the show! It was always on in our house, though - except for poor Colin Baker's Doctor, because my mother hated him and wouldn't watch the show while he was on! I think we all tend to have our favourite and least favourite eras - so as you say, if Eleven isn't for you, hopefully in time there will be a Twelve and he will win you over instead!

Personally, I rather like Matt Smith's Doctor - I have my issues with the writing for his two seasons so far, but I like Eleven in and of himself. Got to agree with you about Amy, on the whole, but I adore Rory.

Comment

• Can't say I'm mad about the new daleks either... All that colour. Is it just me that pictures them as some sort of collection of weird kitchen appliances

Comment

• Originally posted by Llywela View Post
                          I think that might be my favourite moment in The Daleks. So funny. Ah, the days when the Dalek mythos had yet to develop and they were all shiny and new...
                          Ugh except that episode was SO godawful and boring, towards the end I think I missed much of it because I was distracted doing other things...and I'm glad they revamped the mythology with "Genesis of the Daleks" because that story was much better.

Originally posted by Giles View Post
                          Can't say I'm mad about the new daleks either... All that colour. Is it just me that pictures them as some sort of collection of weird kitchen appliances
                          Yeah, or iPods...hence iDaleks!

Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                            Ugh except that episode was SO godawful and boring, towards the end I think I missed much of it because I was distracted doing other things...and I'm glad they revamped the mythology with "Genesis of the Daleks" because that story was much better.
                            Well, you kind of need to be in the swing of classic Who before diving into a long multi-part adventure like The Daleks. Better to ease yourself into the style and narrative structure of the show back then before diving into that one.

And yeah, the newly colourful Daleks are a bit of an eyesore. ;confused: I try not to be mean about them though since my lovely former driving instructor is part of the team that makes and operates them...

Comment

• Yeah, definitely wean yourself into Classic Who before hitting some of the notoriously slow adventures (there are a few from a variety of eras that probably need to have you in a completist watching mode--even Tom has Underworld, which I don't even understand after the first episode!--granted, I was falling asleep during it repeatedly, as I kept doing with Colin's Attack of the Cybermen, as well--The Web Planet is probably the strangest thing I've ever seen--it's a bit MST3K with Vaseline all over the lens and giant bugs--the Zarbi bumping into the camera is a classic). Then you have a massive epic 10-parter like The War Games, which I watch all the time in one sitting because I love every last second of it (only The Daleks' Master Plan was ever longer at 12 episodes, though only 3 of it remain, making The War Games still the longest intact story). The first few episodes of The War Games is an orgy of history, which I love. Length isn't really an indicator of how exciting or boring something is. Though, as a rule, Hartnell's do tend to be more difficult for viewers not really over-familiar with the Classic series. Troughton's has a lot more humor (though The Romans and The Gunfighters are mostly comedy), so it tends to do better with viewers who appreciate that. If gritty realism and action is your thing (Terrance Dicks doesn't even like fantasy, which is something that tends to come up with him regarding The Mind Robber--which is pure fantasy), you'll probably like Pertwee's U.N.I.T. era. If this stuff comes off far too old or the Doctor seems too old, then there's always Peter Davison, which seems to go over well sometimes with NuWho viewers who are familiar with him because of Time Crash, despite his problematic companions. And of course, Sarah Jane is another inroad for NuWho viewers to feel invested in the characters already. If you like your Doctor more eccentric, then Tom Baker's your guy.

The Romans features the first comedy death with Nero's food taster dropping dead in the background from poisoned wine. And speaking of something commonly seen in today's incarnation of the show--Hartnell had the first slow-mo hero shot (The War Machines). Of course, Jon Pertwee was the first real 'action hero' version of the Doctor (the Doctor as James Bond, pretty much). Jon and Tom were also the eras that solidified the idea that the Doctor travels around with young women who are probably in love with him (Jo in The Green Death, in particular--it took School Reunion for Sarah Jane--Romana has always had that reading because of Tom and Lalla's couply portrayal in City of Death--the Aussie Pr1me computer ads actually had Tom proposing to Lalla in character as the Doctor and Romana) and possibly, but subtly him in return (the end of The Green Death where he looks a bit dumped--the prominence and equality of male companions was more significant in the b&w eras). If you're looking for comedy bromance, Two and Jamie are that non-stop. The Classic show has plenty of material that a New Series viewer can latch onto and find similar. And some of the stories really are must-sees (again, my undying love for The War Games, which had both the first appearance of Time Lords that weren't rogues and the companions suffering mindwipes and rather sad returns to unhappy lives--again, New Series people can see where Donna's fate originated). You also get some proto-Master-like figures in the Monk (The Time Meddler & The Daleks' Master Plan) and the War Chief (The War Games), which were both rogue Time Lord villains (and in the '80s, the Rani).

As for the '60s Daleks, I like them a lot more than the following eras. They worked better, IMO, in b&w. Evil of the Daleks, even though there is only one episode now, is probably my favorite due to the emotional material in that story ("Don't touch me!")--part 1 with the moping in the Tricolour coffee bar is cute beyond belief (this is why the reconstructions are worth watching, not to mention Troughton's first moments in The Power of the Daleks--fascinating). Though I also think the same of the Cybermen being better in b&w (The Invasion is easily their best story--no contest). Suffice to say, I'm very happy that the '60s Dalek (from Evil!) is back. Icing on the top if they possibly remember that the Daleks from Evil were given Jamie's good human traits during the Doctor's meddling experiments. What is more insane for a Dalek in a Dalek asylum than to be reduced to a child-like, trains-playing Dalek with an 18th century Highlander's emotions while rescuing Victoria like a princess in a tower? Because that's exactly what the Doctor did to the Daleks in that story when they were trying to get the 'human factor' that would allow them to understand humans in order to destroy them (this betrayal and the Doctor playing God is what caused Jamie to almost stop traveling with the Doctor). That story, in particular, for the Daleks is the one that would certainly be a goldmine for insane Daleks that would be utterly rejected by the rest of the Daleks (which is supposed to be the plotline for the series 7 opener--Daleks who have been defeated by the Doctor end up in an asylum). The Daleks were a bit meh after The Genesis of the Daleks (Day of the Daleks is mostly memorable for the Doctor being a connoisseur of wine and cheese, the 4-wheeler and Jo's red underwear flashing--love her white go-go boots--I'm not really a fan of the pepperpots), even though that story is brilliant and strong for them, so I wouldn't say it was better after that. And well, the RTD bronze Daleks were a zillion times better (best they ever looked) than the Moffat iDaleks. Between the Daleks and Cybermen, I definitely prefer the Cybies. Best Cybies were definitely the Troughton-era ones, though the Hartnell ones are probably the most terrifying (the sock faces--:hiver:. I definitely like Davros a lot more than his creations.

Funny, because The Genesis of the Daleks was among the first Classic stories I ever watched, and my first reaction to that one was also how slow it was (The Time Warrior was another early one that I also thought was dull when I hadn't yet gotten into Classic Who). Amazingly, it was An Unearthly Child when I really *got* Classic Who (as dull as the caveman part is--and I watched The Daleks and The Edge of Destruction immediately after). The Tomb of the Cybermen was another one of the first serials I watched--and it started my love of Troughton (though I think I became truly obsessed when I watched The Mind Robber over and over again). And well, here I am now watching reconstructions. I'm 595 episodes into my Classic Who watching! I just have a few McCoys, Hartnells (mostly recons except for The Sensorites) and Troughtons (a handful of recons left) left and I've seen it all. Ha, I'll probably finish the recons before I finish Miracle Day.

...And then you find yourself with a massive amount of Big Finish listening, TV Comic/Annuals reading (so lovably daft), DWM strips and Short Trips. I'm in the process of making a massive chronology of the whole franchise on my computer. There's not much I haven't tracked down! Reading and listening to it all will take me YEARS.

That's actually the actually the problem I end up having with fandoms that aren't quite as vast. I watch it all and then there's nothing more to do than just watch it again. Sometimes comics or whatnot (I've sadly given up on the Jossverse comics, though I do check to see what they're doing still), but with DW it just keeps coming. And I hope Big Finish milks the fandom for all its worth, because we're only going to have those amazing people for so long and that's it. All these deaths are driving it home that there is only so much time left. Mary Tamm, luckily, got 7 more adventures with Tom Baker coming out in 2013 and Caroline John has one more Companion Chronicle coming out that I'm aware of. Tom Baker only has Louise Jameson, John Leeson and his ex-wife Lalla Ward left (unlikely--they're never put on commentaries together either--Matthew Waterhouse is beyond unlikely--the Fifth Doctor audios actually recast Adric once). The Third Doctor CCs are also getting a bit lonely with just Katy Manning and Richard Franklin (John Levene lives in America--we need more Benton!). It's odd, but the First and Second Doctor companions (go William Russell!) are now better represented than the Third and Fourth these days. :'( The First Doctor CCs have William Russell, Carole Ann Ford, Maureen O'Brien, Peter Purves and Jean Marsh (just Jackie Lane/Dodo is a no-show due to not enjoying her time on the show--I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys Dodo--she's awesome in The Gunfighters)--the Second Doctor has Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Wendy Padbury (and better yet, Frazer has practically become Big Finish's go-to Troughton ::clears throat:: along with David Troughton--leaving just Michael Craze for Anneke and Frazer to impersonate with lots of Cockney). Peter Purves (another one whose voice is amazingly intact) also does a brilliant Hartnell impression with all the little "hmm?"s (Steven Taylor is a good example of a companion that gets really overlooked due to missing stories, but is so brilliant on audio that he's incredibly popular with hardcore fandom now--not to mention Peter is pretty much the only reason that Hartnell's regeneration, Katarina's death and the Dalek flame-torch sequences exist, as he was a Blue Peter host in the '70s--though episode 4 of The Daleks' Master Plan went missing in the hands of Blue Peter, but it may turn up). And who'd have thought that Sara Kingdom would have more audio adventures and an afterlife (the character ages to death at the end of The Daleks' Master Plan)? Big Finish is amazing.

Spoiler:
                              Katy Manning's voice talents are another one of note, as she even has her own spin-off character, Iris Wildthyme (goes around space and time in a double-decker bus TARDIS with Panda), who speaks in Katy's deeper, rough voice (she was upping her real voice even in the '70s for Jo). Katy is the one person who gives Tom Baker a run for his money with being utterly nuts. I'll never forget The Three Doctors commentary, in which she voices the gel guards with squeaky, wobbly noises throughout. Almost as good as Nicholas Courtney and Frazer Hines talking about panties and putting weights in the kilt for the helicopter ladder scene after seeing Isobel's skirt up around her waist throughout The Invasion commentary (and Nick complaining about how his backside looked in his early U.N.I.T. uniform--and wonky mustache and Frazer and Wendy gushing about his handsomeness and tallness) and David Tennant reminiscing about Little David seeing Peri in her pink bikini during The Five Doctors commentary (somebody was pouring the drinks during that one). Some commentaries definitely have to be heard. You could make a drinking game out of some of them (like Jacqueline Pearce saying "darling" over and over during The Two Doctors--Frazer outs his conquest of the makeup girl--in the Tomb extras, it turns out he also flirted with the producer's wife, who was playing Kaftan, not realizing who she was and she let him dig his hole). I've also heard amazingly batty things about John Levene's commentaries (one fan site even has a section dedicated to John Levene's barmy commentaries), which go as far as to comment on things like the death of the baby who played baby Benton in The Time Monster (that bit was apparently supposed to get edited out for bad taste, but was left in by accident) and how lovingly he was frequently looking at the Brigadier (Levene started doing those ridiculously loving looks as far back as The Invasion--LOL--same with at Jon Pertwee). Frazer Hines in his kilt and John Levene in his Yeti costume (before he got promoted to being a 'real actor') apparently once started dancing in public with Patrick Troughton narrating like it was a dance contest. Pat and Frazer, of course, were infamous pranksters--once undoing Wendy's skirt in the church hall (rehearsal location) while she slept, elbowing her awake, and she ended up jumping up and running through the church in her undies and curtsying to the vicar. And of course, the only reason The Two Doctors happened at all was because John Nathan-Turner saw Pat and Frazer rolling on the floor, hugging and kissing when they reunited for The Five Doctors. Frazer's antics with Pat were so infamous that when he suggested to the Emmerdale Farm production to have Pat on the show, he was told that their reputation preceded them and it was nixed!

One of the reasons Pat was a bit uncomfortable in interviews (particularly the 1973 one--though he was shy in general) was because he was afraid that the interviewers would ask about his multiple families (divorce was still taboo--not to mention girlfriends on the side)--Frazer mentions being in the car with him while he was dropping off money at his ex-wife's house and then his girlfriend's, which is another side to the from-the-children's-perspective in son Michael Troughton's book, which carries a lot of the same anecdotes. One of the anecdotes from Elisabeth Sladen's book about Jon Pertwee was him breaking down in tears when he accidentally called her Katy (the leaving of Katy Manning and particularly the tragic death of Roger Delgado being driven off a cliff in Turkey by his chauffeur on a movie that never was finished were the main reasons for him quitting after 5 years, so that last year with Lis was a bit difficult). Of course, he was a bit of a flawed person as well (he rejected a particularly tall, busty actress with a more dominant persona that had been cast as Sarah Jane because he liked to mother hen--which was particularly the case with Katy--we got Lis Sladen because Sarah Jane was recast), as was William Hartnell once he was quite ill and had an increasing tendency to say bad things, especially circa season 3 (Nicholas Courtney got quite mad at him for an anti-semitic outburst, despite the fact that his favorite co-star, Carole Ann Ford, is Jewish--Hartnell actually treated her like a 15-year-old granddaughter when he wouldn't let her drink, even though she was drinking age--Bill was particularly upset when the original companions left the show). Peter Purves was one of the few that was friendly with Hartnell in the difficult period (his arteriosclerosis was affecting his mind, which is the reason for him forgetting so many lines and taking out his frustration on others--it's also why his Three Doctors footage was in his garden and in his barn with him reading off cue cards--he was only occasionally lucid in his last years--he apparently had to stop watching Pat in his role after a while because it hurt too much--he was basically forced out of it, even though he loved the part--and of course, he had that collection of little Dalek toys). Anneke Wills and Michael Craze (Anneke was the one who whipped the Harpo Marx wig off of Pat when he was trying to figure out his costume and brushed his hair into the Beatles 'do) apparently had gotten t-shirts that said "Come back, Bill Hartnell, all is forgiven" as a prank on Pat, but he was genuinely hurt by it and made them feel terrible when his face fell and pouted. Pat was also afraid of being typecast, which lead to the "3 year rule" advice that he gave Peter Davison in a parking lot (in fact, he was so afraid of typecasting, he wanted to hide behind a turban, earring and a big beard and play it like Arabian Nights, so no-one would recognize him--the infamous "blacking up" anecdote). And of course, the fact that Frazer felt like an interloper when he came on the show with Anneke and Michael on the way out, though Anneke denies that she held any ill-will towards him. That's one example of a rift that has healed over time (Michael felt particularly put out because half of his lines had to be given to Frazer, as the early scripts hadn't been written for Jamie--hence him spending The Moonbase bedridden and hallucinating about the Phantom Piper) and now Anneke and Frazer get along very well. During a trivia quiz show that David Tennant participated in, one of the questions regarded which Doctor actor tried to kill someone (you could see David was embarrassed with the question--but he knew it), and the answer, of course, is Tom Baker trying to kill his mother-in-law with a gardening hoe. Tom has also admitted to picking up women and them having him wear his Doctor outfit. Tom doesn't have much of a shame filter (he's also known for tall tales and dirty stuff like lightening up the situation that Nick Courtney was feeling quite glum on his deathbed by asking him if he was a tit or arse man). Then there's the stuff about how Tom's parents, wanting him to become a monk (the only person to have played Rasputin who was once actually a monk?), put him in a monastery for 3 of his teen years and lost his religion. And there's an endless supply of 'Tom Baker walked into a pub...' jokes, regarding his drinking habit (his memories of nearby pubs apparently come up frequently in the commentaries, regarding what he remembers about doing certain stories). Bill, Pat and Jon all had military service during WWII (though Bill had a nervous breakdown and was invalided). Hence all of Jon Pertwee's "Songs for Vulgar Boatmen" comedy novelty records (pretty much sounds like Popeye) and the mysterious visible tattoo in Spearhead from Space that he got on a drunk night out at port in his Navy days (the only Doctor with an obvious tattoo!).

You can often tell that the old cast members have known each other for decades. Particularly when you hear about stories like Tom Baker and Nicholas Courtney being old pub buddies. The Wedding of River Song actually worked in that real-life anecdote of Nick (who called himself "the Brig" in third person in real-life) going for nights on the town with people like Tom (hence the lines about the Doctor taking the Brig for nights on the town and the extra brandy). Tom and Nick were actually only ever in two stories together (Robot and Terror of the Zygons), but became lifelong friends. Another real-life death that got touched on in the show was in Death of the Doctor when Sarah Jane refers to Harry in the past tense (Ian Marter went into a diabetic coma on his 42nd birthday--Tom has mentioned how his diabetes low blood sugar would have to be watched out for during filming--and of course, he was deceptively strong and healthy-looking, but wasn't). The two dead cast-members that always have their characters referred to as alive are Barbara and Ben, the other halves of Doctor Who's first couples in the TARDIS--Ian/Barbara and Ben/Polly.
                              Last edited by NileQT87; 29-07-12, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                                Funny, because The Genesis of the Daleks was among the first Classic stories I ever watched, and my first reaction to that one was also how slow it was (The Time Warrior was another early one that I also thought was dull when I hadn't yet gotten into Classic Who). Amazingly, it was An Unearthly Child when I really *got* Classic Who (as dull as the caveman part is--and I watched The Daleks and The Edge of Destruction immediately after).
                                It's funny how that works, isn't it? I mean, I watched the show back in the day, as a child, so took the serialised narrative structure completely for granted, but then when I came back to the show as an adult, after not having seen it for many years, I found it hard to get into the first classic stories I tried to re-watch. One of the first ones I tried was Spearhead from Space, which I found horribly dull - yet when I came back to it after having watched a few more, I absolutely loved it. You definitely have to give yourself a good few stories to really get into the swing of the old show, it requires some mental adjustment because it is so different to how modern shows are structured. But once you've clicked into that mode, it's usually plain sailing from there on!

Comment

Working...
                                X