No announcement yet.

General gaming discussion thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* The reviews for the ASUS G14 said it has a good keyboard. But the pre-M1 16 MacBook Pro has a barely tolerable keyboard. Levono Thinkpads have good keyboards, but I'm concerned about the China connection and haven't had a Thinkpad for personal use ever since China bought the company from IBM.

I miss in store shopping. Especially for clothes.

I had a Herman Miller before the Steelcase stuff came out. The Steelcase Gesture is more functional and leather is simply easier to clean than cloth is. There's a very good reason there are leather seats or 'leather-like' seats in cars.

I'm very interested in the Serial ebikes from Harley Davidson largely because of the belt drive thing and the bike rack thing. I hate cleaning my chains and thus don't do it enough.

* Yes, keyboards are very important simply because of time savings. If you can type faster and/or more accurately, that's well worth the extra cost.

I've had a thing about 'cost savings' since a child. It never made sense to me to try to 'skimp' on something like a toothbrush when a single meal can cost more than a toothbrush that you'll use for a few months. And you save on dental costs by having a better toothbrush.

I try not to overpay for stuff. But some stuff is worth it. After the pandemic is over, DoorDash is certainly not worth it. Instacart maybe still is.

I consider the Air Pods Max silly and not useful. The whole point of wireless noise cancelling headphones is travel. The Sony 1000-MX4 is still much better given they are more compact. I just recently got a Beats Powerbeats Pro simply because they were on sale and I still go on runs and more phones are losing the headphone jack.

* I haven't been in a Best Buy since getting a Samsung Galaxy S phone years ago...

* On that note, I'm happy Target, Best Buy, Costco, and Microsoft still exist. Gaming has helped the non-Apple computer companies. Best Buy has been helped by gamers.

* On another note: I miss the world. I bike ride. I run. I'm rarely outside my property. But I'm very lucky and very privileged compared to most people. I don't even have to play sports with people or be on a TV set or movie set. I can work from home. I recently bought a place in Austin, TX and I hope Texas turns blue so that I can be outside California when there are fires or whatever.

And I consider national taxes should be raised on the rich and wealthy and on rich companies, but State taxes or city taxes being 'too high' can cause problems because people and businesses can move. It makes perfect sense for people such as Joe Rogan and Elon Musk to move when they are getting windfalls. And it's not as if such people cannot have more than house...

Wow, I'm typing a lot instead of doing something else. I guess I'm waiting for the 'relaunch' of this site and for my gaming PC to arrive. And for the pandemic to end.

Even the vaccine isn't fully useful until there is herd immunity...

Comment

Continuing with more screenshots of Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Now I'm in England.

Spoiler:

Comment

• redtent
        redtent commented
        Editing a comment
        They look beautiful.

• buffylover
        buffylover commented
        Editing a comment
        redtent Thank you so much! Loving this game.

• American Aurora
        American Aurora commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, you're farther than me! I've barely been able to start the game yet. Your shots are fantastic!

More screen captures of England. Loving the moody dark atmosphere with the lush captivating landscapes.

I hope you guys enjoy these.

Spoiler:

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        Very atmospheric.

• buffylover
        buffylover commented
        Editing a comment
        Stoney Thank you, and yes I agree! very haunting.

• American Aurora
        American Aurora commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful. Very evocative of the Dark Ages in Britain.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KHD3Q5Z/

The Omen is now around $150 less than when I bought it--it just came in. I'll try to set up all this stuff on Saturday or Sunday or maybe even Monday given that's when my new chair should arrive.

I saw Dell was selling an Alienware desktop with the RTX 3090, 2 TB SSD storage and 2 TB SATA, and 128 GB of RAM for around $5,100. That seems overkill but those specs and that price would have been an excellent buy before the M1 Apple chips came out.

Apparently, the new RTX 3000 series cards are hard to find because of people using them for cryptocurrency and such (Bitcoin and such).

The RTX 3090 I remember is for those considering gaming in 8K.

These prices for these pre-builds are relatively good enough that maybe these companies are very concerned about Apple. I haven't heard of Apple's making graphics cards. But an RTX 3090 with such specs--an Apple equivalent (there simply wasn't one given Apple's graphic cards relatively sucked so much).

I'm always unhappy when prices drop soon after I buy something.

I got a Steelcase Leap on sale from Amazon.com for around $718. That should arrive on January 11 (Monday). I gotta separate my 'work space' from 'other space'...

I got a Corsair K100 RGB keyboard. I'm not sure if I like the keyboard for tying. The keyboard is very fast and it seems I'd be able to type maybe even over 120 WPM if I could fully 'get used' to the keyboard. It seems it'd be great for gaming though.

I wasn't planning for the Omen to arrive so soon.

BTW, Dell is selling https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/sh...op/wdaurr1141h for around $3,800. But supposedly the Omens are a little easier to actually upgrade. I'm not sure an RTX 3090 is necessary.

I'm very likely to focus on 'single player' games. I don't want to 'get lost' in the online world and play for several hours at a time all the time.
      Last edited by MikeB; 08-01-21, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
        I'm very likely to focus on 'single player' games. I don't want to 'get lost' in the online world and play for several hours at a time all the time.
        That's a good trap to avoid.

Wouldn't take up nearly any of the computing power you're going for, but highly recommend the whole genre of choice-driven adventure story games. Most are point-and-click, QTE heavy games, but usually have the most engrossing story. 10/10 recommend "Life is Strange" and also the entirety of Telltale's The Walking Dead series (four seasons worth).

In terms of things to play single player on PC... I do most of that kind of gaming on console but if you said you also have a PS5, also 10/10 recommend both "The Last of Us" and "The Last of Us Part II" (well, 8/10 for TLOU 2) as well as the Uncharted series.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

I don't think it's a trap to get lost in an open-world game. In my opinion, I adore open-world games. I think it's beneficial and not a waste of money. And gameplay should always come first IMO. And also your wasting hours on any game if you think about it. So don't get disheartening with how many hours you play a video game, it's not a bad thing no one's judging you. It's like some people binge watch tv for hours and watches movies and post on a dead forum so, I wouldn't point the finger at gamers of being time-wasters. It's a hobby and if you not invested sadly your wasting your money. IMO.

Comment

@KingofCretins

* I don’t have a PS5. I literally decided to get the ASUS G14 because I saw it was on sale for a very good price and I’ve become bored enough that I’m going to start gaming for the first time (outside of phone games) since the PS2. But then the ASUS G14 arrived and the keyboard is a deal-breaker; so, minutes later I was looking for prebuilds and happened upon the HP Omen thing.

I still have Blu Rays I haven’t watched, books I haven’t read or need to finish, a bunch of articles to read, a bunch of catch-up on this forum, and years of PC games to go through.

PS5 are having major stock issues and I’m not going to overpay for something. I might decide to get one when the PS5 Pro or whatever comes out.

I’m not sure the PlayStation exclusives are enough to have a PS5 as well as a gaming PC.

* I heard “The Last of Us” is a good game, but I’m going to get Resident Evil 2, the full version of Mortal Kombat 11, and then go from there.

@buffylover

I don't think it's a trap to get lost in an open-world game. In my opinion, I adore open-world games. I think it's beneficial and not a waste of money. And gameplay should always come first IMO. And also your wasting hours on any game if you think about it. So don't get disheartening with how many hours you play a video game, it's not a bad thing no one's judging you. It's like some people binge watch tv for hours and watches movies and post on a dead forum so, I wouldn't point the finger at gamers of being time-wasters. It's a hobby and if you not invested sadly your wasting your money. IMO.
            Oh, wow. I meant “I don't want to 'get lost' in the online world and play for several hours at a time all the time.” in terms of like the “Call of Duty” and “Fortnite” and such games as “World of Warcraft” and whatnot.

I like the idea of an “open-world game” and will almost certainly get “The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim” eventually and probably "Grand Theft Auto". I presently am unlikely to ‘be online’ regularly for hours at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post

@KingofCretins

* I don’t have a PS5. I literally decided to get the ASUS G14 because I saw it was on sale for a very good price and I’ve become bored enough that I’m going to start gaming for the first time (outside of phone games) since the PS2. But then the ASUS G14 arrived and the keyboard is a deal-breaker; so, minutes later I was looking for prebuilds and happened upon the HP Omen thing.

I still have Blu Rays I haven’t watched, books I haven’t read or need to finish, a bunch of articles to read, a bunch of catch-up on this forum, and years of PC games to go through.

PS5 are having major stock issues and I’m not going to overpay for something. I might decide to get one when the PS5 Pro or whatever comes out.

I’m not sure the PlayStation exclusives are enough to have a PS5 as well as a gaming PC.

* I heard “The Last of Us” is a good game, but I’m going to get Resident Evil 2, the full version of Mortal Kombat 11, and then go from there.

@buffylover

Oh, wow. I meant “I don't want to 'get lost' in the online world and play for several hours at a time all the time.” in terms of like the “Call of Duty” and “Fortnite” and such games as “World of Warcraft” and whatnot.

I like the idea of an “open-world game” and will almost certainly get “The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim” eventually and probably "Grand Theft Auto". I presently am unlikely to ‘be online’ regularly for hours at a time.
              All of the suggestions above are fabulous - love The Last of Us, Life is Strange and all the Elder Scrolls Titles.

Get the Fallout Series - 3 &4 and New Vegas. You won't be disappointed! They are incredible PC open-world games that revel in campy excitement and morbid black comedy.

Warning - playing Fallout, you WILL spend several hours on your computer wandering the Wasteland because you will have so much fun you will find it hard to stop playing.
              Last edited by American Aurora; 09-01-21, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Honestly, MikeB, both "The Last of Us" and "Life is Strange" are games I'd love to hear what I'm sure would be distinct thoughts about when it comes to the philosophical questions raised by the games.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

MikeB I do have that impression you think playing on video games is a waste of time with your other posts around the forum.

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post

Warning - playing Fallout, you WILL spend several hours on your computer wandering the Wasteland because you will have so much fun you will find it hard to stop playing.
                  I did this!

Comment

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think he's being won over. It reminds me of my grouching about reaction videos and now, whenever I have a spare half an hour (or even when I don't!) I'm trying to slot them in.

• buffylover
                    buffylover commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stoney I hope he does make the right decision because IMO, he is spending so much money on a thing that he thinks it's a waste of time. Well, that's my impression anyway.

ALL CAUGHT UP

@KingofCretins

* It’ll probably be a long time before I get into something like “Life is Strange”. I live in the world of business and politics. Whether to stick with Telsa or short it is a big question.

@buffylover

* Well, I don’t consider playing video games to be especially productive. I’m re-watching The West Wing because of the contrast in the political debate. That show was raising topics that the United States and the world are slowing addressing. And we went from POTUS Clinton to POTUS Bush to POTUS Obama to POTUS Trump to POTUS Biden.

I’m now imagining California Governor Jerry Brown as POTUS. He’d be like a much better version of POTUS Clinton.

Playing video games will be like watching a ‘for fun’ TV show or movie or whatever.

* The RTX 3080 changed things because of the LG CX. I don’t like the idea of a gaming monitor given a gaming monitor isn’t the best for things outside of gaming. And gaming setups seemed literally specifically for gaming.

I hope to set up my gaming PC and such on Monday January 11, 2021 or at least on Tuesday January 12, 2021.

I haven’t played video games on an actual system since before the PS3 came out. I’m going to begin on single player stuff and try to stay away from the massive multiplayer stuff for now.

* Well, I’m largely going to game because the pandemic is going to last for at least a couple more months and my gaming PC should last at least a few years. A problem with console is that the PCs are advancing so much.

Well, the gaming PC can be used for other stuff aside from gaming. The gaming keyboard may be used for typing if I can fully ‘get used’ to the typing experience. The gaming mouse is simply for gaming. I was waiting for hint that an M1 Apple desktop might have an excellent graphics card, but I’ve had no such hint and I don't know how long it would take for gaming developers to code or whatever for a non-Windows based PC. The gaming PC can essentially replace my iMac. And I’ll get another 16 MacBook Pro.
                  Last edited by MikeB; 10-01-21, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• buffylover
                    buffylover commented
                    Editing a comment
                    IMO Watching the telly can be less productive too.

* Well, I've finally sort of set up my gaming PC, the LG CX display settings (it's in 'game mode', the HDMI is set up for 'PC', the G-Synch is running, the 4K 120 hz is active, etc), have downloaded Steam, and am presently downloading Mortal Kombat Ultimate. It's a 102.3 GB file and it'll take several hours to download.

And that's just one game. I'm still probably going to get Resident Evil 2 next. But I'm going to run out of SSD storage pretty quickly if I get games too quickly. I can put an additional SSD in the desktop, but I'm waiting for a sale. A 2T Samsung Evo Plu is around $320 presently.

And then I'll probably have other external SSDs and maybe even external SATAs.

Are SSDs necessary for non-open world or non-fast-paced games? Could I put something such as Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate on an external SATA drive eventually or put it on the internal 2T SATA drive?

It seems incredibly shortsighted for anyone to prefer a "digital only" PS5 over the disk version given how much storage space games take up and given how much storage costs.

A 4K BluRay can take up 75 GB to over 100 GB. And "AAA games" are sometimes around as complicated or more complicated. An discs have so much space that it's why NetFlix, Amazon.com, Disney+, HBO Max, etc. don't really truly stream in 4K and probably not even true 1080p quality.

* It seemingly took a couple of hours to fully set up the gaming PC to where it is presently. I remembered why I like MacOS so much.

* The Razor mouse is pretty good but I'm not used to the keyboard yet. I may want to get a DAS keyboard for regular typing. Or I may eventually get used to the keyboard.

* I'm not sure yet how well the LG CX can work as a monitor. I hate Windows so much, but maybe a new M1 16 inch Apple laptop can be good enough to connect to it.

* And I certainly meant my not wanting to be "online" is in terms of things such as the "Who's online" thing on Steam.

* For the PC gamers, how much storage do you have or get for games?

@buffylover
                  * Outside of NetFlix and my Blu-Ray collection and such and maybe the occasional Amazon.com offering, I don't watch 'regular' TV.

* I got the HP Omen because it had an RTX 3080 and an RTX 3080 is relatively necessary for 4K gaming and I wanted something that could take advantage of the LG CX in my room.

Yes, my gaming purchases are expensive, but: (1) a gaming PC is simply superior to console, (2) I haven't been on a vacation since late February 2020 C.E., and (3) prices are relative.

Given inflation, PCs used to be a lot more expensive. Compare a 'decent' Windows 95 PC to an excellent gaming PC. Apple workstations are relatively overpriced, but the 'regular' Apple desktops aren't really overpriced given you get a 5K monitor included.

My family got an excellent camcorder in 1999 C.E. or whenever and it was $2K. A decent TV bought in 1989 or whenever was around $500.

Apple laptops get overpriced when you increase SSD storage, but it can be worth it is you're flying and want to watch stuff on your laptop.

I know people are suffering in the US and elsewhere because of Covid-19 and all the ramifications of it. But the professional class who don't have to work in hospitals and such and done relatively okay and have generally saved money because of not needing to 'eat out' all the time, not going on vacations, not needing to buy more business attire, etc. etc.

And the Stock Market has done well.

It's a sad reality and there should be higher taxes for those getting 'windfalls' during this pandemic. Anyway...
                  Last edited by MikeB; 12-01-21, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• buffylover
                    buffylover commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope you enjoy "Resident Evil 2" and "Mortal Kombat Ultimate".

Bethesda released this!

And this! made me laugh.

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                  X