Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

GoT finale derivative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoT finale derivative?

I don't watch GoT so can't comment...but saw this recently:

Sarah Michelle Gellar reckons Game Of Thrones finale mirrors death in Buffy The Vampire Slayer

"Game Of Thrones might be renowned for surprising deaths, but Sarah Michelle Gellar believes a scene in the finale has certain whiffs of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The 42-year-old actress, who became a household name as Buffy Summers, posted a throwback photo comparison between a key scene in the Game Of Thrones finale and Buffy’s season two finale, titled Becoming, Part 2. Posting the comparison on Instagram, Gellar wrote: ‘#flashbackfriday Just saying…..’ In the Game Of Thrones finale, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) kills lover Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) after she needlessly killed thousands of innocent people in her final ascent to the Iron Throne. Buffy’s season two finale results in a thematically similar outcome, with the vampire slayer sending her lover Angel (David Boreanaz) back to hell after he becomes demon once again. The two deaths also play out largely the same, with both seeing a loving embrace turn into a fatal stabbing with a blade. Did Game Of Thrones take a few cues from Buffy? We’re just asking questions here. MORE: GAME OF THRONES Game of Thrones fan correctly predicted Daenerys' fate on Mumsnet seven years ago Even Gogglebox wasn't happy with Game Of Thrones' finale: 'What an anti-climax!' Game Of Thrones’ Daenerys was warned against being Mad Queen in season 5 foreshadowing The last ever episode of Game Of Thrones became a controversial send-off, with some left unsatisfied by who ended up on the Iron Throne. While the show ending has left many mourning the loss of exquisite binge material, there’s a number of spin-offs in the pipeline, including one starring Naomi Watts and John Simm. You can catch-up on Game Of Thrones on NOW TV."

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/24/sarah...4/?ito=cbshare
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 26-05-19, 06:45 AM.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

Absolutely. It riffed on Rome, the show it got cancelled, a lot, too.

But in all fairness, Buffy borrowed, shall we say, from stuff like Lost Boys quite a bit, as well.

Comment

That's interesting I hadn't thought of that at all and yeah, I can see the similarity in that the death of their lovers ends the immediate risk to the wider world. Other similarities, the blade/embrace, are a bit more vague. I could see it being a conscious draw from BtVS, but also not a deliberate one too. I'm sure shows lift aspects from different shows all the time and have plots/characters inspired or even directly based on ones from elsewhere. PuckRobin has drawn ties between BtVS and comic book characters several times that seem likely influences on Joss for example. I don't notice these things most of the time because I haven't read/seen enough and even when I have, like this one, I still miss it.

Comment

Oh for goodness sake! All art is derivative. If you had a "pure" new aesthetic form it wouldn't make sense. Postmodernist texts write out of and against modernism. Modernism writes out of and against 19th C realism. Try making sense of Picasso's cubism without the idea of a single perspective. So no - I don't think it was a riff on Buffy. Buffy itself is a riff.

Folk have been sacrificing loved ones since the beginning of time (at least since the beginning of myth and the bible) For example - Agamemnon had to kill his daughter Iphigenia so that the Greek fleet could sail. NT - God sends his only son to die - how many sacrifices are required in the OT?

Beginning of Dany's story, Dany shows no concern over her brother's demise. She shows no love for her brother. She has no brotherly love (understandable). At the end she shows no brotherly love for the populace of KL (Brotherly love has the meaning "feelings of humanity and compassion towards one's fellow humans". Dunno why we had the 7 bloody seasons in between - could have just cut to the chase. See...predictable.

Let's face it, in the absence of a semi automatic weapon, Jon's choice of how to kill her was a bit restricted. It was either a knife or a dragon. Fire tends to carry the meaning of cleanse - knives are phallic. Jon kills her and is banished to the north and told he can't procreate. This is probably telling but I can't be arsed to follow it through to its logical conclusion.

ETA.

Argh - SpuffyGlitz - sorry! The exasperation at the beginning wasn't aimed at you! And I can think of some "seminal" forms (perhaps Poe and the detective story?) but even those have precursors and write out of/against something. I quite like that Manet p***** off the Salon but the point of (for example) Olympia was it was derivative of Titian. That's all I know about French painting! And I'm excluding new technology from my sweeping statements!
        Last edited by TriBel; 26-05-19, 02:22 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X