Character Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Poll

I am in the middle of a re-watch of Games of Thrones for about the 4th time so far this year and thinking about how this show challenges your opinions of the characters as the series goes on, and I thought that it might be interesting to see what others think. So let's kick off a discussion with a little poll of your opinions on the characters of GoT:-

Who do think is the vilest character and why?
    Who do you think is the bravest character and why?
    Who do you like now that you hated at the beginning?
    Who’s beginning to grow on you?
    Who do you really not care about?
    Who do you want to see sit on the Iron Throne?
    Who has died that you miss the most (or will)?
    Who intrigues you the most?
    Who gets all the best lines?
    Who is your favourite overall character?
    What character do you despise the most?
    Which minor character do you want to have a bigger part in the story?

(Please don't feel obliged to answer all of them if you don''t want to. Also, I haven’t read any of the books and really don’t want to be spoiled so only aired TV show discussion please.)

Theon Greyjoy. Oh man, I hate him so much for being so weak willed when bullied by his father. I can see no reason for what he did in Winterfell other than pure hubris. Although I feel pity for what Ramsay has done to him, he really deserved to be brought down about 150 pegs or two

Sansa Stark. The girl has been terrified for her life since her father was arrested, and scared of Joffrey before then. The fact that she is able to drop the odd snarky comment and swim the shark infested political waters of Kings Landing without ever losing her dignity is admirable.

It’s a toss-up between The Hound and Jaime Lannister. Neither are my favourites but the different shades of grey we have seen recently in both of them have really changed my opinions of them

Brianne. At first she was a non-descript soldier then she brought the good out of Jaime and now I want to see her interact with Joffrey!

Bran and Jojen Reed. The endless wandering around the north has got on my nerves. Please let them have something else to do next season

It flip flops between Danaerys, Jon Snow and Gendry. Danaerys because, as of this moment, she seems to be the fairest and good of all the potential Throne Hunters; Jon because he has a good heart and he deserves a title other than “Ned Stark’s bastard” and Gendry because, technically, he should be king

Who has died that you miss the most (or will miss next season)?
    It’s still Ned. ‘Nuff said

Jaqen H’gar, Varys, Shae, Melissandre, Jorah Mormont – I can’t choose they are all very interesting and I’m fascinated by either their backstories or what their motivation is now

Who has said your favourite lines?
    Tyrion, always Tyrion – I wish I had his wit

Arya, I think, at the moment anyway. I love how she’s completely her own person and isn’t scared of being different. Her ruthlessness is a worry, if it gets too much then she may be surplanted by one of the other 3, or is it 4 that are vying for the top

It’s got to be Joffrey surely. Is there anyone more hateable than that spoilt little brat, with his boy band hair and his inherent cruelty

Podrick. How does he have such a talent with the women and how brave is that boy????

How different are your answers?

I love lists.

Joffrey I think, he is perhaps a bit too stupid to be truly dangerous. But that kid is a monster and I don't think we've ever seen him do or say anything that could even be considered 'nice' or even 'decent'.

Another candidate is the creep that tortures Theon. *shudder*

Brienne, she is honorable and fights for that honor. But I also agree that Sansa showed great strength and courage by keeping her head up the way she did despite her young age and all the horrors that happened to her.

Theon, although 'liking' is perhaps not the right word. But I do feel for the poor guy (and not just because of the horrific torture) he just fails at life but he isn't a horrific person. And it's sad that he figured out too late that Ned was his true father.

Jaime, but only a little. The guy pushed Bran out of the window in the first episode... I will never forgive him for that.

Well he is no longer around, but Robb. He is not the only oblivious guy from the Stark family, but at least Jon and Ned were in interesting situations. Robb was just there and his wife was as boring as he was. Nothing facinated happened to him, until the Red Wedding.

Both Jon and Dany together, fire and ice. ~symbolism~.
    No but I think these two are pretty decent people and they could balance eachother out.

To be honest, no one. Despite the show being literally a bloody mess, they don't kill off characters that still have a place in the story. Perhaps Cat... but I never really cared about her.... too much Robb in her story.

Arya, not sure if I enjoyw her story. But I don't think she will just die, she is going to do something one day and I'm very curious to find out what.

Oh and Jon Snow's real parents. I don't believe Ned would cheat on Cat so there is probably an epic story there. It's just Jon's personality that is 'meh'. His story is great.

Tywin, he is a horrible man but I can't help but love his lines. Tyrion also has his fair share of great lines.

I don't really have one,m I care more about the settings/scenes/storylines than which character I truly enjoy. Perhaps Bran because he is such a smart little kid.

See the first question, the vile characters.

Osha... I love Osha and Rickon. I hope they will have awesome adventures together until Rickon can become Lord of Winterfell. (Of course it's more realistic if she will die and he will lose two arms and an eye before he turns ten and Shaggydog will fall of a cliff.)
    Last edited by Nina; 21-08-13, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceGeorge View Post
      I am in the middle of a re-watch of Games of Thrones for about the 4th time so far this year
      I'm with you there! I can't believe how may times I've watched this in such a short period of time

I'm gonna go for Joffrey. He is the most amoral character in the 'verse as far as I can see. If he was my king I think I'd want to go to war to overthrow him too!

Tyrion - He's been made fun of since he was a child and still stands taller than most around him

Melisandre. At first I saw her in terms of black and white but now I see that she's just a fanatic, albeit after her own gain

The Hound. Who would've thought that a brutal killer could be so layered?

That's really difficult. There's no stories I don't have an interest in.

Varys.

OK I'm only half serious, but in his words he serves the realm. That's not something that anyone else after the throne could say

Lummy Greenspan. There was no justification for his death, NONE WHATSOEVER YOU HEAR ME! Ok so I don't even know his name, but still it stuck with me

Ooh. Shae has more to her than what we see I'm sure.

Everyone in Kings Landing is really snarky. I love how Sansa burns Joffrey in the ep Blackwater though, "Of course my lord is fighting in the Vanguard, that's where they say my brother fights and he is just a traitor"

Can't say, just tooo hard

I'd say Joffrey, but then I remember Theon, then the Dothraki witch that was burnt with Drogo

Jaqan H'qar. Who the hell is he? Is he connected to the Red God and therefore is there a connection there between him and Melisandre?
      Last edited by ciderdrinker; 26-08-13, 01:16 AM.
      sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

I'm not sure I can answer this and have it only be about the show, since I've read the books and I find it hard to separate the things only learned on the show from the more in-depth knowledge in the books... I'll try, but I'll keep my answers short.

How do I choose from so many candidates??? Ramsey, Gregor Clegane, Craster, Joffrey... (There are some other, minor characters in the books, including an entire mercenary group that doesn't appear in the show, who could be added to the list.) This series has a bunch of really awful people, complete monsters that put other, morally grey characters' behavior into perspective.

That's really hard to answer, since there are different kinds of courage. For instance, Arya often forgets about fear because of her anger, which, if we remember that "being afraid is the only time when a (wo)man can be brave" as Ned would say, makes her not so brave. So, the question is, who gets to conquer their fear the most? Tyrion was certainly brave to lead the attack in the Blackwater battle, being a dwarf and not that trained or good in fighting. But I do see your point about Sansa's strength - I don't think she's the bravest now, though, but she may end up being. But I have a feeling that Samwell may end up being the Cowardly Lion character in the series.

Sandor (The Hound) - didn't see anything to like at the beginning. hated him when he killed Mycah; then had a 180 degree change in perception when I learned his backstory (a scene that is done so much better in the book - sorry to bring it up, but the show having Littlefinger tell his story to Sansa was a major fail, apparently they did it because of "production problems" or something) and fought his brother at the Hand's tourney. I came to love his character over time (and he's much better developed and has tons more dialogue in the books, especially in scenes with Sansa; I hate the way they cut so many of his scenes in the show and gave some of his lines to Littlefinger).
        Also, Jaime - although I was aware that there would probably be more to Jaime than meets the eye, because I heard something vaguely spoilery about his arc. I can't believe that GRRM had an attempted murder of a child and a brutal murder of another child so early in the series and introduced those two men in the worst possible way, as child killers, and now they're both among my favorite characters.

I'm not sure that there's anyone that's just beginning to grow on me. But I had no idea early on I would love Sansa as much as I do now (although I liked her better than most people did in season/book 1 - I think she had her interesting moments even early on, more so in the book than in the show).
        My attitude to Cersei is a see-saw, I dislike her, then I feel sorry for her, then I dislike her again, then I feel sorry for her and dislike her at the same time.
        ETA: And Theon - definitely Theon after... but that's spoilery territory.

On the show, Talisa the Mary Sue, Ros (totally underdeveloped and just there to bring in some nudity).

Out of the realistic contenders, Daenerys. I don't really see Jon sitting on the Iron Throne.

Who has died that you miss the most (or will miss next season)?
        Catelyn, because she died before learning her other children were still alive and other things I hoped she would find out. Oddly enough, I loved Ned, but I don't miss him, since I think his death was necessary for the story.

Varys - I love the character and Conleth Hill's portrayal of him and want to know what he's really up to - and Jaqen H'quar - another perfect casting on the show.

Who has said your favourite lines?
        Tyrion has lots of great lines, but I think the quote that I found the most interesting was Varys talking about the nature of power in S2 (who would a man with a sword pledge his loyalty to and why, and that power is a "shadow on the wall").
        Also, Jaime: "We don't choose who we love" - simple and may not be too original, but so true and could be a motto for a lot of characters. (This is another show-only quote.)

I can't possibly pick just one. The beauty of this series is in so many great characters you can relate to, and seeing their parallel stories. At the beginning my favorites were Tyrion, Daenerys, Arya, Jon, Ned (RIP) and they still are, but now I may love Sansa, Sandor, Jaime, Brienne even more.

Those who are both vicious and idiots: Joffrey, Viserys... I hate all the monsters as well.
        Theon was really annoying in S2 (and even more so in the book, where we get to know his POV) but he changes later (trying not to give anything away here...).
        Otherwise, while I don't "despise" them - they are smart and capable - I really hate Tywin and Littlefinger, there are really dangerous all the more because they're not incapable idiots like some other evil characters, and LF is a creepy slimeball.

Mance Rayder (although he's not exactly minor in terms of importance, he is in terms of screentime, so far); Maester Aemon (I liked him from the start), Jaquen H'quar, the Brotherhood without Banners...

edit: This is what it looks like when I try to keep my answers short - imagine what it would be like if I didn't

It flip flops between Danaerys, Jon Snow and Gendry. Danaerys because, as of this moment, she seems to be the fairest and good of all the potential Throne Hunters; Jon because he has a good heart and he deserves a title other than “Ned Stark’s bastard” and Gendry because, technically, he should be king
        I'm not sure what you mean? Technically, Gendry should not and can't be king. Bastards do not inherit anything, unless the king or lord proclaims them legitimate. Gendry could only technically be an heir to the Throne if Stannis decided to officially legitimize his nephew. Otherwise, he has no rights to inherit anything at all - not even the Baratheon name.

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        Oh and Jon Snow's real parents. I don't believe Ned would cheat on Cat so there is probably an epic story there. It's just Jon's personality that is 'meh'. His story is great.
        You should read the books... there's a lot of really epic backstory there revealed gradually, about the rebellion, Mad King and a bunch of other things.

You'd also probably love the books because there's far less of Robb in them than in the show. He's the only one out of the Stark family, other than little Rickon, who is not a POV character, and his romance/marriage happens almost entirely off-screen (and his wife is different from Talisa and plays a minor role).
        Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 14-01-14, 04:52 PM.
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Theon Greyjoy. Oh man, I hate him so much for being so weak willed when bullied by his father. I can see no reason for what he did in Winterfell other than pure hubris. Although I feel pity for what Ramsay has done to him, he really deserved to be brought down about 150 pegs or two
          Seriously?! On a show that has characters like Joffrey and Ramsay Bolton, or Gregor Clegane who get off on torturing and murdering other people, you're going to say that THEON is the vilest character?

In terms of what he did in Winterfell, there was hubris yes, but also a lot of complex emotion about who he was, and what his place in the world should be. This is a kid who grew up with abusive brothers and an awful father, who was then taken away from his home as a hostage and raised in the household of the man who had rained down destruction on his home in quelling his father's rebellion. Raised in a limbo, knowing that his life was forfeit if his father ever did anything (which was the whole point of him being Ned's ward). Never really a Stark, but then no longer accepted as a Greyjoy either when he tried to return. As Rodrick says on the show, Theon is lost at that point.

Obviously this doesn't excuse him murdering children and the way he treated people at that time (although it makes his motives less sadistic than other characters in the story, IMO), but even with all of his darkest sins he does not deserve the complete psychological and physical torture he suffers at Ramsay's hands--I don't know if anyone does.

(Sorry, I just had to get that off of my chest--I hope to come back and answer the questions soon! Good meme! )
          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
            Seriously?! On a show that has characters like Joffrey and Ramsay Bolton, or Gregor Clegane who get off on torturing and murdering other people, you're going to say that THEON is the vilest character?

In terms of what he did in Winterfell, there was hubris yes, but also a lot of complex emotion about who he was, and what his place in the world should be. This is a kid who grew up with abusive brothers and an awful father, who was then taken away from his home as a hostage and raised in the household of the man who had rained down destruction on his home in quelling his father's rebellion. Raised in a limbo, knowing that his life was forfeit if his father ever did anything (which was the whole point of him being Ned's ward). Never really a Stark, but then no longer accepted as a Greyjoy either when he tried to return. As Rodrick says on the show, Theon is lost at that point.

Obviously this doesn't excuse him murdering children and the way he treated people at that time (although it makes his motives less sadistic than other characters in the story, IMO), but even with all of his darkest sins he does not deserve the complete psychological and physical torture he suffers at Ramsay's hands--I don't know if anyone does.

(Sorry, I just had to get that off of my chest--I hope to come back and answer the questions soon! Good meme! )
            I agree. I would understand calling Theon "most annoying" or "the one I most hate/despise", because it's personal - and I sure found him annoying in book 2*, I really couldn't stand him (he was a bit more sympathetic on the show). But vilest? No way, he's not even in the top 10 (or top 20 in the book, which has an even greater number of horrible, vile characters, like all of the Bloody Mummers).

Spoiler:
            That's why it's such a shock when he gets tortured and broken horribly, and you see him as "Reek" in A Dance with Dragons - it's impossible not to feel sorry with the poor guy. And then he becomes so much more sympathetic in the Jeyne arc and what he does there; he has a really fantastic arc in that book.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Working...
            X