3.03 "Walk of Punishment" discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.03 "Walk of Punishment" discussion thread

Oh my, I don't even know where to start! Even knowing what was coming with respect to Jaime, I was still not prepared when they cut off Jaime's sword hand. After last week's episode I suspected it would happen in this week's episode but I was still unprepared. Seeing it on screen was just as gruesome (or even more so) than I pictured it in my head. I'm glad though that the show creators did not chicken out when it comes to Jaime's hand as they did with Tyrion's nose. Granted Tyrion's nose is in no way as important in the character development department as the loss of Jaime's sword hand is. When the Bolton guy was suddenly all nice to Jaime, I knew it would end badly for Jaime. Also, I'm afraid I really have to critisise the show here. Book 3 spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I think it's a mistake that the show excluded the Bloody Mummers and Vargo Hoat. As I said in last week's episode thread, the fact that the Bloody Mummers worked for Tywin lends even more tragedy to the maiming of Jaime. Plus I was really confused as to who the guy who cut Jaime's hand off really was. After last week's ep I assumed it was Roose Bolton but apparently he is just a guy who is part of Bolton's camp and apparently his name is Locke. I really really wished that the show had stuck with the books in this instance.
    I also really did not like the transition from the maiming Jaime scene to the punk rock song playing at the end. WTF was that? Weird choice of song to play after such a traumatic event! Apparently it was a punk rock version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", which is cool and all but I thought it did really not fit in this instance.

However, I'm really happy that we got to see Jaime helping Brienne and keeping her from getting raped with his story about Tarth and the sapphires. Already you can see the changes in Jaime and now with him being maimed his character will develop even further. As sad as I am that this had to happen to him, I'm looking forward to seeing the impact it has on him explored on screen.

I loved the actor they cast for the Blackfish. In the few scenes he was in, he already exuded so much gravitas, just like I always pictured Catelyn's badass uncle. I'm really not satisfied with the casting of Edmure though. Definitely not how I pictured him, I thought he would be more of a vain pretty boy. I loved Hoster's funeral and Edmure messing up his shots and the Blackfish stepping in and doing it right on the first try. Robb and Catelyn's sniggering and annoyed looks during Edmure's failed attempts were pretty funny. Robb tearing Edmure a new one because he did not do what Robb ordered him to was also very satisfying. Edmure is a very annoying character IMO so seeing him belittled is great.

The reconvening of the Small Council was also rather funny. I loved how Cersei thought she had outplayed Tyrion and then he drags his chair opposite Tywin. Too bad Tyrion got demoted to Master of Coin though. It's great that they moved Littlefinger's storyline along with him going off to the Eyrie soon to woo Lysa Arryn. I cannot wait to see that on screen.

Theon's storyline is confusing to me as I haven't finished A Dance With Dragons so I have no idea whether this corresponds to the books. Does the guy who helped him escape and saved his life really work for Theon's sister or does he have his own agenda? Personally I have no idea who he is and I'm really curious. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the next few episodes.

I thought the parts with Podrick were really unnecessary. I mean, good on Tyrion for wanting to reward Pod for saving his life but I'm getting sick and tired of all the whores on the show. I guess it was supposed to be funny but it's really not my type of humour. *shrugs*

Hot Pie baking Arya a bread in the shape of a wolf (even if you couldn't really tell ) was very sweet, as was Arya saying that it tasted good. I'm glad that at least Gendry is still at Arya's side now that she has lost Hot Pie.

I loved Dany putting both Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan in their place. The blood of the dragon was showing in that scene. They should really have more trust in her. Like she would just give up Drogon like that! She is right, she needs an army and the Unsullied could be her army. She has a plan and thinks things through. I liked seeing her bond with Missandei over being women. Dany needs some female allies as well.

I had to chuckle when Melisandre told Stannis "Your fires burn low, my king." just after he told her that he wanted her. Not exactly what a man wants to hear in this situation.

Jon and Sam's scenes were not that exciting this week. Although I do like the development that Mance ordered Tormund Giantsbane and a few others (including Jon!) to go climb the Wall and attack Castle Black. I cannot wait to see this from an action perspective and see Jon struggle with this moral dilemma.

Oh man, how am I supposed to wait a week for the next episode? This show keeps blowing my mind!

Was there any point of Podrick losing his virginity? You know, except adding naked women to the episode? Or why the girls didn't want his money? Why did we spend so much time on this? Why do we care about Podrick anyway?

I couldn't watch the last scene, I was spoiled so I just stopped watching the episode early. But him 'saving' Brienne was nice to see, Jaime left me somewhat cold before but I really like his relation with Brienne. I also fastforwarded most of Theon's scenes just because I can't watch it. He is a loser and a traitor, but I really don't take pleasure seeing him in this situation. Poor lad.

Arya telling Hot Pie that the bread was really good was almost heartbreaking. It must have been the first time since her father's dead that she looked somewhat like a young girl again. I did love the wolf he made for her, so sweet.

Beyond the wall nothing really happened, the horse heads were gross though. I do like Dany's story this season, so much better than last season.

Since I've not read the books I don't know Cat's family, but I guess the guy that missed three times is pretty much the loser of the family? I did like her uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      Was there any point of Podrick losing his virginity? You know, except adding naked women to the episode? Or why the girls didn't want his money? Why did we spend so much time on this? Why do we care about Podrick anyway?
      Well Podrick did save Tyrion's life in the Battle of the Blackwater so I personally care at least about him for that. But I agree, I did not see the point in these scenes either. I'd have preferred it if they had spent the screentime on Sansa or Margaery, for example.

Since I've not read the books I don't know Cat's family, but I guess the guy that missed three times is pretty much the loser of the family? I did like her uncle.
      The guy who missed three times is Catelyn's brother Edmure. I wouldn't call him the loser of the family but in the books Catelyn questions her brother's judgment and intelligence time and again.

Comment

Was there any point of Podrick losing his virginity? You know, except adding naked women to the episode?
        I think it was mostly there to give the audience a breather (no fear of anything terrible happening) and to lighten the atmosphere of what is mostly an incredibly dark episode.

The guy who missed is Catelyn's younger brother.

Hot Pie baking the bread was sweet, and he's right that he probably is somewhat better off parting ways with a Stark and a bastard Baratheon (because bad things befall those people ALL THE TIME!) It was nice to see Arya lighten and seem her age for one fleeting moment.

Also, I like how very subtly they've revealed that Dany speaks Valaryian. (First, she understood the slave she offered water to. She told Missandei that he begged her to let him die), and then repetition of Valar Morghulis -- Yes, all men must die, but we are not men.

Word to the wise, slaver, do not look a gift dragon in the mouth, because the Warlocks of Qath know that Dany doesn't take the loss of a dragon lightly.

Ouch, Jaime. And just when he had done a compassionate thing. Albeit, he never has learned to be nice to his captors. He taunted Catelyn to kill him, and has been mouthy to Brienne since she had him. Not everyone is as honorable as a Stark or Brienne of Tarth. Sooner or later he was going to run into someone who had had enough with his smart tongue. Still... poor Jaime.
        Last edited by shipperx; 15-04-13, 11:33 PM.
        Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
        ~Douglas Adams

Comment

I really liked that part, at first was thinking he was going to be gay and that would lead to something more about Tyrion and how he dealt with it, but I think it was great how they did it I think it shows that Tyrion really cares about the people around him who he trusts, it makes him stand out from the rest of his family.

I couldn't watch the last scene, I was spoiled so I just stopped watching the episode early. But him 'saving' Brienne was nice to see, Jaime left me somewhat cold before but I really like his relation with Brienne. I also fastforwarded most of Theon's scenes just because I can't watch it. He is a loser and a traitor, but I really don't take pleasure seeing him in this situation. Poor lad.
          OMG I was watching this thinking if that was me I would mess around with his eye I'd take his hand then BOOM! I was like OMG!!! NO WAY so wasn't expecting it! but I loved how he saved Brienne, to be honest I'd love these two to get together! I know he's horrible and everything and she's awesome but it would be a confidence boost for her and an honest healthy relationship for him.

Originally posted by Cori
          I'd have preferred it if they had spent the screentime on Sansa or Margaery, for example.
          I'd like to see more about Sansa, she's just getting interesting, she really annoyed me in the first and part of the second season but now she's more interesting and I can't wait to find out what happens with her and Dog if anything... I heard a rumour but he's off with the Brothers without banners I can't see how he can come back from that? after all he left Kings landing, Joffrey wouldn't take him back or at least I can't see him taking him back what with him being such a little
          Last edited by Demetreas; 18-04-13, 06:40 AM.
          Dee@ Lucid Fanart || Twitter || Last.fm

icon from imemine-art

Comment

I was so busy last week with work and the forum issues I only got to watch this episode on Saturday!!

Great episode, I feel like we are really moving quickly into the meat of the season.

I love the actor cast for the Blackfish. I thought the funeral was really well done, especially how Edmure couldn’t shoot the boat and the Blackfish shot the arrow and walked away before even seeing if it had found its target! I also really liked Robb telling Edmure off for his battle decisions. Definitely Robb the Commander in Chief now, not Robb the 15 year old boy

I wish I’d shut my eyes at the moment Jamie lost his hand.. that was nasty, really nasty. Even knowing it was coming.. seeing it was hard. Although it’s not completely undeserved. I still remember all of Ned’s men he killed in season 1!

I did love that he talked them out of raping Brienne This is definitely a turning point for him and I love how his relationship with her kind of mirrors the turmoil inside him. Like the man he was fighting the man he’s becoming, it’s reflected so well in the way he is with her

Originally posted by Cori View Post
            Theon's storyline is confusing to me as I haven't finished A Dance With Dragons so I have no idea whether this corresponds to the books. Does the guy who helped him escape and saved his life really work for Theon's sister or does he have his own agenda? Personally I have no idea who he is and I'm really curious. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the next few episodes.
            I don’t really understand why this is in here. The scene I think this is comes from A Dance with Dragons..

I loved the small council scene, with Tyrion dragging his chair up to the head of the table I’m looking forward to seeing Little Finger go off to the Eyrie. That should make for some funny scenes.. book spoiler
            Spoiler:
            Will he take Sansa with him? I think in the book he doesn’t go to the Eyrie until after Joffrey’s wedding.. and then he takes Sansa but I might be a bit hazy on the exact timelines..

Like Cori I think the Podrick in the brothel scene was completely unnecessary. Why they have to put so much sex in for the sake of it.. Tyrion is so different in the book.. in the first book he doesn’t have sex for over a year, from the time he left Kings Landing to go to Winterfell until Shae.. but in the show how many whores does he sleep with?! Again it falls under my annoying.. why add scenes that aren’t in the book when you cut so many that are.. surely if they have an extra 5 minutes they can give us something that is either in the book or adds to the story. /sigh

Lastly I loved Dany’s scene. So great that they kept in all the subtitles what the Unsullied master was saying about her And Dany telling Jorah and Barristan that if they ever acted like that again they would be advising someone else! She is really coming into her own now.

The good thing about seeing the episode so late.. I only have 2 days wait before the next one

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
              I did love that he talked them out of raping Brienne This is definitely a turning point for him and I love how his relationship with her kind of mirrors the turmoil inside him. Like the man he was fighting the man he’s becoming, it’s reflected so well in the way he is with her
              Beautifully put and I completely agree!

I don’t really understand why this is in here. The scene I think this is comes from A Dance with Dragons..
              Yup I guess since Theon is not in ASOS and they wanted to have all the characters on the show in each season, the creators decided to include parts of his storyline from ADWD into the third season.

I’m looking forward to seeing Little Finger go off to the Eyrie. That should make for some funny scenes.. book spoiler
              Spoiler:
              Will he take Sansa with him? I think in the book he doesn’t go to the Eyrie until after Joffrey’s wedding.. and then he takes Sansa but I might be a bit hazy on the exact timelines..
              Book 3 spoiler:
              Spoiler:
              Actually Little Finger leaves for the Eyrie before Joffrey's wedding in the books and makes a point of saying how disappointed he is that he is gonna miss it (which of course is part of his plan). However, he then does not sail to the Eyrie but stays somewhere close to King's Landing (I don't remember exactly where) on his ship and waits for Ser Dontos to bring Sansa to him on Jeffrey's wedding day/night and then they sail to the Eyrie together.

why add scenes that aren’t in the book when you cut so many that are.. surely if they have an extra 5 minutes they can give us something that is either in the book or adds to the story. /sigh
              Good point!

Comment

So far I've enjoyed Season 3 far more than Season 2 (although the last couple of episodes of Season 2 were great)

I know I keep saying it, but the production is wonderful. Everything seems to be filmed on location, nothing seems false or out of place, the cgi is excellent. I imagine each episode costs a fortune to film.

Tyrion scraping that chair to the end of the table was a baller move The Lannisters are certainly a fun family. Jaime speaking up for Brienne was interesting, he obviously has a sneaking respect for her. When the sword went to his eye, I fully expected a Xander moment, the hand chopping was so unexpected.

Do we ever see the fat little baker boy again?

Men talking about whores and the whores themselves being so ****ing happy, I know it's a fantasy but it's idiotic and it annoys me. Oh and if you've got a big dick, a prostitute will sleep with you for free, was that another take away from this episode? What utter male fantasy liberal bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                X