No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the beauty of this show is that while it started out black and white... it's just not anymore. The people for whom I still have the least amount of sympathy are Cersai and Littlefinger. The person for whom I have no sympathy is Joffrey.

As for Theon... my heart breaks for him every time he is on screen. But I have no trust for him.

Comment

Not sure how it is in the books, but I prefered the Littlefinger from last season when I had the feeling he mastered the games of power and played with the others. He gets his ass wooped a bit too often this season, first he is stupid enough to taunt Cersei with her sexual relation with her brother when she was surrounded by her own guards and now Tyrion uses him for stuff. Not that I'm a huge fan of him, but I like mysterious characters with power and Littlefinger went from such a character to a glorified footboy.

About the plan of the Greyjoys to take over the north; I can't believe that Robb is that stupid. He just left his own kingdom unprotected with only his young brothers (Where is Rickon anyway? Hiding in the dark with Shaggydog?) to 'rule' it. I understand that Cat is with Robb since Robb needs her knowledge and connections, but it's pretty stupid to leave your own kingdom like that.

Comment

Ok thought son third episode I liked it better than the second one.

I loved the scene with Arya she is played by a wonderful actress. Loved Tyrion as always and I must say I am starting to like Shae way more. Poor Sansa every time she is on screen my hear breaks for her. And ok, Littlefinger has started to grow on me. Loved loved what´s her name (yeah I suck at remembering names as it is an Thrones has a lot of them) but the wife of Renly she is straightforward and I like that and love the actress.

The introduction of the female warrior knight was also awesome and I love cahterine she manages to stay calm and I can still feel her mourning ned, she seems like one of the only characters who does that at least to me.

Theon I don´t know what to make of him. I love his sister though and as for him I just don’t trust him but he is in a difficult position and he is interesting to watch and the scene on the beach was beatify shot I must say that theon is not memorable somhow I can´t recall him even being in the first season, but then again whhenver Joffrey is on screen I watch only Joffrey (cause of Jack Gleeson, not cause Joffrey is awesome, now Jack Gleeson he IS awesome) which brings me to my new favourite crachter cersei!

Yeah I figured that out during that dinner scene, it was so intressting to watch and I love her carachter because she is capable of feeling genuine love towards her children and Jamie but at the same time, in the same scene she is absoultaly horrible to Sansa making me wonder, as I don´t read the books what is it that makes her love and hate and for me that is the mark of a carachter I know I am going to fall in love with and the actress is awesome again lots of awesome actors in GoT as it is.

One negative thing, and this is not only GoT but it bugs me because of GoT now, I am sorry but what is it with tv and male nudity? I mean I am not advocating more nudity because in general I think there is enough of that, but in GoT we get women naked and in all sorts of poses.. and then there is a sex scene between two guys and they are both covered in either clothes or sheet?!? Why? Now I don´t want to start a whole discussion and open a can of worms but it just bugs me beyond believe that it is normal to have a scene with a naked woman walking out in front of the camera with spots of sperm running from her mouth , or like season 1 episode eight where Littlefinger is teaching two girls how to have sex basically and they are both naked ( I mean I recall a time where naked brests were considerd not common on tv) and then not show a sex scene between two guys with the guys naked. Ok it bugs me I am done now that is the only negative and as I said it is beyond just GoT but the episode was really good looking forward to next week.
        Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
          One negative thing, and this is not only GoT but it bugs me because of GoT now, I am sorry but what is it with tv and male nudity? I mean I am not advocating more nudity because in general I think there is enough of that, but in GoT we get women naked and in all sorts of poses.. and then there is a sex scene between two guys and they are both covered in either clothes or sheet?!? Why? Now I don´t want to start a whole discussion and open a can of worms but it just bugs me beyond believe that it is normal to have a scene with a naked woman walking out in front of the camera with spots of sperm running from her mouth , or like season 1 episode eight where Littlefinger is teaching two girls how to have sex basically and they are both naked ( I mean I recall a time where naked brests were considerd not common on tv) and then not show a sex scene between two guys with the guys naked. Ok it bugs me I am done now that is the only negative and as I said it is beyond just GoT but the episode was really good looking forward to next week.
          Yep, it's a sad double standard in TV. Though what I find kind of odd with this show is the way they have sex--i.e. that 98% of it is anal. Is that like, the official way to do it in Westeros in the books, lol? Because I found that a bit much...it was almost humorous in the last episode when Margery suggested Renly do that, I was like, "As if men would do it any other way?" (Okay I did notice a couple scenes so far this season that defy this rule, but still overall...)

Gratuitous sex and female nudity is the price of being on HBO though, tbh. You get more budget, but also have to include more of that, since they think that is the only reason some people subscribe, apparently. (I do think Showtime is less gratuitous in this category from what I've seen of both channels so far).
          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
            Yep, it's a sad double standard in TV. Though what I find kind of odd with this show is the way they have sex--i.e. that 98% of it is anal. Is that like, the official way to do it in Westeros in the books, lol? Because I found that a bit much...it was almost humorous in the last episode when Margery suggested Renly do that, I was like, "As if men would do it any other way?" (Okay I did notice a couple scenes so far this season that defy this rule, but still overall...)

Gratuitous sex and female nudity is the price of being on HBO though, tbh. You get more budget, but also have to include more of that, since they think that is the only reason some people subscribe, apparently. (I do think Showtime is less gratuitous in this category from what I've seen of both channels so far).
            Haha glad I am not the only one who is bothered by the way they have sex on the show and yeah I know that being on HBO, you are practicly required to show a lot of (female) skin but the whole double standart bugs me, especially when right after that scene we get Nathalie Dormer nude again...
            Last edited by Mara; 20-04-12, 01:19 PM.
            Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
            sigpic

Comment

Not sure but I suspect that the real issue of the Loras/Renly scene was perhaps some sort of fear for the reactions of homophobe fans. This scene and the one last year with the shaving, did both receive very negative reactions, and in both scenes barely anything was shown. As long the audience is so homophobe that two men kissing already turns them off I can see a network making te decision not to go too far simply because they don't want to lose too many viewers. From what I heard the TV show already goes further than the books with Loras/Renly. We've seen naked men bfore on GoT so it's not because they refuse to show male nudity.

That said, I don't deny the double standard which is obviously there.

Perhaps it's because they don't have anticonception in Westeros? I don't know... but it's the best I can come up with.

Comment

I also wander why they make Renly gay in the tv show. In the book Renly is normal man. I never think of him in this way while I didn`t see him in the tv show. When Sanca see him for the first time I thought that they will fall in love with each other.

IMO the wolves keep the Stark children safe. I have a feeling that Sanza will die because her wolf is dead , too. For example - Arya is alone and unprotected in castel Tivian`s castle / as a servant / because her wolf is not with her , too.

Spoiler:

I want to see Daenarys in the iron throne - this throne is for her , she is the only one which has a legal rights on the throne and after her, IMO it has to be John Snow. Yes, he is "unlegal" child, but after all his fater is Regar Targarien.
                sigpic
                maked by plamivasi

Comment

Originally posted by _Buffy_ View Post
                  I also wander why they make Renly gay in the tv show. In the book Renly is normal man. I never think of him in this way while I didn`t see him in the tv show. When Sanca see him for the first time I thought that they will fall in love with each other.
                  Actually that's not quite true. It is not spelled out in the books that Renly and Loras were a couple but there are several hints in the books both to Renly and Loras's homosexuality.

Spoilers for books 2 and 3:
                  Spoiler:
                  Don't click if you haven't read the books!
                  Spoiler:
                  For example the grief Loras showed after Renly's death went way beyond the normal grief you would feel for your king, even Jaime picked up on that. The connection between Renly and Loras was also very deep in the books even if it is not spelled out that they had a sexual relationship. Also, it is heavily implied that Loras joined the Kingsguard so that he wouldn't have to get married and father children and that his family is aware of him not being interested in women.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
                    Actually that's not quite true. It is not spelled out in the books that Renly and Loras were a couple but there are several hints in the books both to Renly and Loras's homosexuality.

Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:
                    For example the grief Loras showed after Renly's death went way beyond the normal grief you would feel for your king, even Jaime picked up on that. The connection between Renly and Loras was also very deep in the books even if it is not spelled out that they had a sexual relationship. Also, it is heavily implied that Loras joined the Kingsguard so that he wouldn't have to get married and father children and that his family is aware of him not being interested in women.
                    Also, the writer publicly said that he always intended Renly and Loras to be a gay couple. If readers didn't get it it's because they didn't read with enough attention!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                    Icon by xiperita

Comment

Frankly I feel a little uncomfortable talking about this
                      Spoiler:
                      But I don't think it is anal, I thought it is just from behind. I think Margery's point was it would still be the baby making way, just from behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post

Spoiler:
                        Spoiler:
                        I also see the hints in the books, but I wasn`t sure untill I didn`t watch the show. In the show it is directly and with no doubt. I just can`t figure why the writer didn`t say it directly in the book. Or may be it is the idea - to be half hidden.
                        sigpic
                        maked by plamivasi

Comment

Well that was the weirdest and scariest birth scene ever, WTH was that black thing?

It was a very disturbing and gore episode anyway, from Joffrey's psycho treatment of the prostitute to the horrible place where Arya is stuck now with the torture and heads on pikes.

I'm glad Dany and her people are out of the dessert, I hope her story goes anywhere now. Not sure what to make of the Thirteen, but the city looks lovely.

My guess is that the female doctor/nurse is going to be Robb's love interest? She was also right about Robb's lack of plans.

Stannis vs. Renly... I put my money on Stannis I'm afraid, especially because Mellisandre is obviously powerful. I love Davos, he is fabulous.

And poor Sansa, she is lucky Tyrion is around. Not sure what his plans are exactly, but he doesn't torment the poor girl. I guess I know too little about being a lady, because I would've been out of there the moment Tyrion asked if she wanted to end the engagement. Joffrey is truly a mad king v2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                            Well that was the weirdest and scariest birth scene ever, WTH was that black thing?
                            It was a shadow servant - a magical being conceived by Melisandre & Stannis. Melisandre talks about them right before she gives birth. How the shadows are the servants of light and the children of fire.

Comment

So it's an entity? It can think and do stuff? Impressive.

Comment

This shadow is "compelled" by Melisandre to do the "dirty job" so to say.
                                sigpic
                                maked by plamivasi

Comment

Working...
                                X