Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The West Wing rewatch what are peoples thoughts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The West Wing rewatch what are peoples thoughts ?

Rewatching the West Wing (on S1) and its amazing how much of a different time things were in 99.
    President Bartlett is the opposite of Trump to put it politely.

Also pre 9/11/Afghanistan and then Iraq the argument about just missile and strike and whether to launch it or not is certainly from a more innocent age.

While without the fantasy setting (leaving aside the heroic Bartlett who is fantastical in this age) the writing is very similar to BtVS. You got the zippy dialogue and likable characters and situations they get themselves into.

Though I do love Martin Sheen as Bartlett he is a real stand out as is John Spencer as Leo his friend and Chief of Staff. Its always a pleasure to watch them on screen.

One down side is the character Mandy Hampton I'm not sure if she was written to be an entitled Karen or (for the time) simply meant to be funny and charming and is now dated but God I can't stand her and I'm only 4 episodes in

This is a series I'm intending to rewatch. I saw it many years ago, 2005 ish, but I definitely understand American politics better now and think I'd enjoy it even more. When I was watching BtVS/AtS with a relative before Covid interrupted their first watch of the shows, we had planned to rewatch West Wing together next, but sadly Covid stalled us at Dirty Girls. I'll definitely rewatch West Wing eventually though. Martin Sheen was by far my favourite character and I really enjoyed his dynamic with Stockard Channing. Agree John Spencer was brilliant too.

Comment

• BtVS fan
      BtVS fan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm watching it free on More 4 but all the commercial breaks are starting to annoy me and may switch to another site like Amazon even though I will then have to pay

ALL CAUGHT UP

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I'm presently re-watching The West Wing. I'm on WW S04E07 or something. It's the post-election night episode. The West Wing is now great in terms of comparing the politics displayed on the show then to the politics of the present reality. Most of the progressive issues talked about nowadays were discussed by the characters during the show.

The sad thing is POTUS Jed Bartlet is a "centrist" Democrat and yet he's more liberal and progressive than POTUS Barack Obama was. And POTUS-elect Joseph Biden is very uninspiring so far.

Comment

• BtVS fan
      BtVS fan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes but Obama had real life problems that the show could simply write around. As it was Trump made it a personal campaign to undo all Obama achievements

I really liked it.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• BtVS fan
      BtVS fan commented
      Editing a comment
      It is really good

Its interesting that the show creator left after 4 seasons and (as of 2016) still hadn't watched the last 3 seasons
    https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/wes...it-1201793615/

Comment

ALL CAUGHT UP

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* POTUS Barack Obama ensured that US Senator Bernie Sanders wouldn't become POTUS.

POTUS Obama governed like a 'moderate' Republican.

The fictional Jed Bartlet was a much better negotiator and had a much better 'team'.

POTUS Obama didn't tell the country about the Russian meddling because POTUS Obama was more concerned about moneymaking than about the future of the US. Moneymaking and personal wealth is also why POTUS Obama decided to effectively end the Sanders campaign.

It's curious that POTUS Obama seems to support AOC, but maybe that's because of the Democrats rather crappy showing in the 2020 elections. 100Ks of deaths because of Covid-19. Many top Republicans getting Covid. And yet Democrats lost seats and only one the US Senate because of massive incompetence and massive self-serving by POTUS Donald Trump and US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

* Mandy Hampton was a great character--she simply wasn't as necessary in the show as others were. Even the First Lady Abigail Bartlet is sometimes forced when Stockard Channing is a regular.

* The quality of The West Wing took a huge nosedive after WW S4, but it's possible the best episode is the live debate between Santos and the California Governor.

Although, arguably, the quality was already dipping in WW S4. POTUS Bartlet wins in a landslide and yet the Republicans somehow keep the US House of Representatives and the House is somehow even more conservative than before.

Comment

I actually watched more of season six than some of the earlier seasons because the “New Hampshire” and related scenes were actually filmed in Dundas, ON, Canada — the village where my paternal grandparents lived and bordering on my hometown (and now officially a part of it) Hamilton, ON. My mom was working across the street from where they were filming.

Comment

Working...
        X