The Queen's Gambit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Queen's Gambit

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/th...s_gambit/95809

* This miniseries/hopefully show is currently Number 2 in the United States. It's excellent. Anya Taylor-Joy is a joy to watch in this.

* I consider this miniseries is an even better depiction of feminism than C.J. Cregg in The West Wing.

* Apparently, there's a TON of demand for the book and it's out of stock and there's some 'price gouging' going on with old copies.

* ATJ is going to play a young Furiosa in the new Mad Max movie. She's literally the first person and this is literally the first time I'd accept someone playing a younger Buffy Anne Summers than what Sarah Michelle Gellar could play without CGI and such.

I'd still prefer an animated Buffyverse something if a live action something isn't feasible.
    I've seen "The Queen's Gambit"
    33.33%
    I haven't seen "The Queen's Gambit"
    16.67%
    I want to see "The Queen's Gambit"
    33.33%
    I dont want to see "The Queen's The Gambit"
    0%
    I'm ambivalnet about seeing "The Queen's Gambit"
    0%
    I liked "The Queen's Gambit"
    50.00%
    I didn't like "The Queen's Gambit"
    0%
    The "The Queen's Gambit" is just an okay show
    0%

I haven't heard of this. Do you know if it is only currently on Netflix or some such?

Comment

• American Aurora
      American Aurora commented
      Editing a comment
      In the US, it's only on Netflix.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Seriously, I'm I the only poster on this Board who has watched The Queen's Gambit? This is one of Netflix's most popular recent offerings.

Comment

I really enjoyed this. It was intelligently written and doesn't go exactly where you expect. It is not the second coming of Buffy, truly my favorite show ever, but i did watch it in one day, something I seldom do.

I really liked the characters they built - complicated and nuanced and real. And fundamentally decent for the most part.

Regardless of the history under the bridge, her real friends prove to be real and there for her, and I found THAT moving.

I kinda loved her and the fact this wasn't *about* her finding happy ever after with anyone, but finding herself and learning to stand on her own two feet, but without rejecting what she can learn from others.

It never feels as though coming out on top means she must become a woman all alone. Good show, subtle points. Felt real.

4.95/5

PS, i almost never ever give 5/5 or 10/10

Edit: i think atj would make a kick ass slayer. May need to write a QG crossover where she becomes a slayer!
      Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 08-11-20, 06:29 PM.

Comment

* This show is Number 1 in the US. It's beating Chappelle's Show.

I'm very hopeful that somehow this gets a Season 2.

* This show is essentially and effectively a 7-hour movie. It's not comparable to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This show focuses on Beth Harmon and Anya Taylor-Joy carries the show.

The Buffyverse is an ensemble and has around 250 40-45 minute episodes and then the canonical pre-Season 8 comics, Season 8, and Season 9.

Comment

I'm about half way through and realy enjoying it.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

It's certainly on my list, but I want to finish The Alienist first. So I'll return to this thread later.

Comment

I really enjoyed this show. The casting was great, they did a great job matching the young and older actors playing the same role. I was so impressed with how they used makeup hairstyles and home decor to bring us back in time. I was starting to worry that it was going to have a really depressing ending and I'm really glad it did not. I loved the ending.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post

* Seriously, I'm I the only poster on this Board who has watched The Queen's Gambit? This is one of Netflix's most popular recent offerings.
                I watched it. Actually before the opening day (via Netflix press screening) and I love it. ATJ is truly fascinating. I don't see any Buffyesque thing in this show but I saw it in The New Mutants film (also with ATJ). The director is a big Buffy fan and parts of The Body and Hush appears in the film. Even the whole DVD Buffy collection.

Comment

Working...
                X