The Outsider (HBO) New Stephen King Drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
    Gerald's Game was one of my favourite books when I was a teenager, I didn't realise they'd made a movie of it. I'd be impressed if they managed to do it well.
    I read the book years ago too, and this film does do it justice. The flashback is horrifying in a way that the 'present day' horror wasn't, but I think that's the core of the emotional truth of the book. I'd recommend it, if you have Netflix.

Comment

The Shining is the only book that frightened me while I was reading it. I'm not sure how I feel about Kubrick's film - feels a bit over wrought at times (which I should expect given it's Nicholson). Stand By Me is quite different from the short story it's based on. If I recall, I much preferred the film. Didn't finish "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption". Salem's Lot - I enjoyed the TV series and the book (if enjoyed is the right word). Cujo and Pet Sematary: I don't watch films where animals die. In the case of the latter - it's about a cat and, irrespective of whether they're alive or dead, cats are evil - right?

I don't know whether my tastes changed or whether King's writing changed. I read them religiously in the early years then just stopped.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I read the book years ago too, and this film does do it justice. The flashback is horrifying in a way that the 'present day' horror wasn't, but I think that's the core of the emotional truth of the book. I'd recommend it, if you have Netflix.
        Which I don't. I will look it up and see if I can watch it at some point through Sky or my brother in law might well have a copy.
        to be returned...

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          Gerald's Game was one of my favourite books when I was a teenager, I didn't realise they'd made a movie of it. I'd be impressed if they managed to do it well.
          Yeah. Its a Netflix movie directed by Mike Flanagan who did The Haunting of Hill House series and the recent Doctor Sleep. I also recommend a film of his called Hush. I liked Gerald's Game too up til the end. It was one of those surprises.

Only read Carrie and Misery from King. Liked both.

Comment

Seen the first two episodes and its completely gripping from the start. Its full of tension and intrigue. The casting is spot-on. There's something very different to the mystery which makes it stand out. Its full of rich little details. The big dramatic moment in episode two really knocked me sideways. If it keeps up this standard it will be one of 2020's best.

Comment

Oooooo, I'm really looking forward to this but I'm determined to finish watching S2 of Penny Dreadful for the first time before I move on to something else. I might not be able to avoid watching PD S3 before too, but I think Outsider is definitely going to be the next on the to watch list.
              to be returned...

Comment

Working...
              X