Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Sex Education" best 'teen drama' since "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sex Education" best 'teen drama' since "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"?

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7767422/?ref_=nv_sr_1

* I watched Season 1 now 3 times through already and I will certainly watch another round before Season 2.

* In ways, Otis Milburn/Maeve Wiley is a far superior version of Xander Harris/Buffy Summers.

* I couldn't get into Veronica Mars .

* Gossip Girl was best in Season 1 but the characters and drama in Sex Education are both relatively better.

* The characters in Sex Education are sympathetic except for maybe 3/4 "Untouchables".

* It's an excellent series and I highly recommend it.

* There are ambiguities in Sex Education that make it more intelligent than otherwise.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Season 2 premieres on January 17, 2020 A.D. in the United States. The trailer seems to imply that maybe Otis/Maeve will happen in Season 2. I hope they can make Season 2 interesting.

I also hope there are some flashbacks, as Season 1 only slightly implies Otis was attracted to Maeve before Season 1 began. It'd seem odd that Otis only first even noticed Maeve in S01E01.

* Second is Otis/Maeve could work given Otis's financial status, relative power within the school, and that while 'nerdy' or 'geeky', he's not exactly bad-looking.

Anyway, I'll try to re-watch again before January 17.

I re-watched You before Season 2 and combined with Season 2, You isn't as good as Gossip Girl given how much I'd forgotten about You and how much the episodes are re-watchable by comparison.

Comment

I watched the first episode and maybe the second and wasn't impressed. I am certainly not the target audience, so my view doesn't really count, but I found the stories and characters cliche and I couldn't imagine anything interesting happening to any of them. I didn't like the Gillian Anderson character either. I think it was possibly made with the American market in mind.

Comment

I liked S1. I'll watch s2 when it's available.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Not sure about the best show since Buffy, but I do like it. It is much more fun than "The End of the F***ing World", which I also followed. Never occurred to me to touch crap like Gossip Girl or Vampire Diaries. The one teen show that I followed (and came to love) post Buffy is One Tree Hill. Like Buffy, even minor characters are rounded and interesting. Not sure sex ed will ever have that sort of love from me. Nothing really compares to Buffy for me. Other aimed at young people contenders include Supernatural and Being Human (UK). The dont hold up to Buffy, but with only one season of sex ed so far, it is hard to compare. OTH has 9. After season one of Buffy, I *was* hooked, but it was not as finely crafted as sex education is at the same point. But tv has changed.

Personally, I do like Gillian Anderson. Was looking for another show with her after watching The Fall (the first season of which was very engaging, but it went on a bit too long). It is not a teen drama, however. Sex ed is not "her" show. Like Buffy, it really is an ensemble affair and a good one.

The GA character in sex ed is kind of 'American'. But I enjoy her.

Btw, I am in my late 50s. Probably not the target demographic.. When Buffy came out I was a bit closer.

Note: GA = Gillian Anderson
          Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 11-01-20, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I do like Gillian Anderson in other things, just not this particularly. I found the first episode ridiculous, with the biggest issue being a boy had a big penis. I've seen a few, it's not that exciting, nor did I find it funny. It may have been an homage to the 70's 'Window cleaner' genre of movies, and that's fine. Just not my thing.

The GA character in sex ed is kind of 'American'. But I enjoy her.
            I don't know what a 'GA character' is

Comment

I'm 100% with DBJ and also dont know what a GA character is.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                I do like Gillian Anderson in other things, just not this particularly. I found the first episode ridiculous, with the biggest issue being a boy had a big penis. I've seen a few, it's not that exciting, nor did I find it funny. It may have been an homage to the 70's 'Window cleaner' genre of movies, and that's fine. Just not my thing.

I don't know what a 'GA character' is
                Does DBJ mean Gillian Anderson's character? Just a thought.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                  Does DBJ mean Gillian Anderson's character? Just a thought.
                  Oh yes, that makes sense

Comment

Was there for Pricey's watch of the pilot. Wasn't pretty. I liked it more than she did. Not perfect, but will watch S2

Comment

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
                      Was there for Pricey's watch of the pilot. Wasn't pretty. I liked it more than she did. Not perfect, but will watch S2
                      Thank you for putting up with me

I loved Booksmart

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Thank you for putting up with me

I loved Booksmart
                        Awww ya know I ya chika! To be fair it was like my 5th suggestion of that particular day. I blame Tricky!
                        Booksmart deserves all the love!

Comment

^Oh yeah I was there for that Pricey/HIMDS sandwich.... that was brutal folks

Didn't like the one episode I saw of it. I might take a look at more but won't be in a rush.

Comment

All caught up.

* Anyway, I’m going to do another re-watch (I post on another Board about Sex Education (it’s a sub-Board of a ‘Board site’). I generally focus on Otis Milburn and Maeve Wiley and their relationship. I know most are upset with how Season 2 ends, but I still haven’t pinned down exactly when they each actually
                            Spoiler:
                            fell in love with each other.

RESPONSES TO THE THREAD:

* I don’t understand not being in the ‘target audience’. Almost everyone will go to high school, is currently in, or has gone to high school. Everyone can appreciate great writing and great acting. And eye candy (Emma Mackey is generally considered a younger version of Margot Robbie).

* I don’t understand how the “stories and characters” can be considered “cliche”.

* I said it’s the best ‘teen show’ since BtVS S1-S3. But its one of the best TV series of the last several years.

* Gossip Girl much more ‘holds up’ through the Seasons than Supernatural does. I could never ‘get into’ One Tree Hill .
                            Last edited by MikeB; 28-01-20, 11:51 PM.

Comment

MikeB
                              * I don’t understand not being in the ‘target audience’. Almost everyone will go to high school, is currently in, or has gone to high school. Everyone can appreciate great writing and great acting. And eye candy (Emma Mackey is generally considered a younger version of Margot Robbie).

Sure but not everyone went to an American High School. I went to a single sex Catholic Grammar School in the UK. The distance between that and an American High school is about the same as the distance from Manchester to California. I haven't seen SE but it's one of the problems I had with BtVS 1-3 - my high school wasn't hell. It was on a spectrum of Okay to Downright Boring. And female "eye candy" doesn't work for me...sorry.

sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                                Priceless commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Exactly how I felt. And it's cliche, because it's about kids in high school having sex . . . the most cliche thing there is.
                            Working...
                            X