No announcement yet.

Killing Eve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't say it ruined it for me, but it was a bit of a step down from the masterful S1.

Comment

I thought the Sandra Oh's Eve was sidelined a little bit in S2, because now they think Villanelle is the star of the show. Fiona Shaw and all the secret agents took up a bigger role and there didn't seem enough time to focus on Eve. I think they lost something because of that.

In the first season they had the wonderful Bill being killed, which added so many levels to the show, but Fiona Shaw's character just wanders around doing secret agent stuff which I find quite dull. By the end of S2 I was pretty bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I thought the Sandra Oh's Eve was sidelined a little bit in S2, because now they think Villanelle is the star of the show. Fiona Shaw and all the secret agents took up a bigger role and there didn't seem enough time to focus on Eve. I think they lost something because of that.

In the first season they had the wonderful Bill being killed, which added so many levels to the show, but Fiona Shaw's character just wanders around doing secret agent stuff which I find quite dull. By the end of S2 I was pretty bored.
        I gave up on S2 I found the writing really poor, especially compared to the first season

Comment

For me S2 really began to explore the complexity of Eve's draw towards Villanelle and I think that was needed if it was continuing beyond S1. It made the show far more interesting when they were willing to touch more into the darkness of her fixation. But as Jodie Comer out shone Sandra Oh from the start for me, I really didn't notice if the second season stopped focusing on Eve in the same way. I definitely didn't feel it was less about her because of the consideration towards the effect on her that her obsession with Villanelle was having and what it was bringing out in her character. I'll be very interested to see how/if they change the tone and that influence in the third season, how it follows all that happened at the end of the second.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            For me S2 really began to explore the complexity of Eve's draw towards Villanelle and I think that was needed if it was continuing beyond S1. It made the show far more interesting when they were willing to touch more into the darkness of her fixation. But as Jodie Comer out shone Sandra Oh from the start for me, I really didn't notice if the second season stopped focusing on Eve in the same way. I definitely didn't feel it was less about her because of the consideration towards the effect on her that her obsession with Villanelle was having and what it was bringing out in her character. I'll be very interested to see how/if they change the tone and that influence in the third season, how it follows all that happened at the end of the second.
            I'd be really happy if they completely changed the show in some way. A bit like American Horror Story, same actors but completely different characters/story, though there is a link. Otherwise I don't know how long Eve can just keep following Villanelle through Europe and watch/help her kill people. That got a bit dull for me in S2 so I can't think I'll watch much of S3

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              How did they make her more complex though ?
              They lost Phobe Waller bridge from the writing in S2 and definitely showed imo

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                I'd be really happy if they completely changed the show in some way. A bit like American Horror Story, same actors but completely different characters/story, though there is a link. Otherwise I don't know how long Eve can just keep following Villanelle through Europe and watch/help her kill people. That got a bit dull for me in S2 so I can't think I'll watch much of S3
                See I agree they need freshen it up as the seasons go. I just don't think it was a massive problem in S2. The two seasons combined only have 16 episodes I think so that doesn't feel like too much to me. I think the S2 explored their actual attraction to each other more than S1 did. I don't want it to do a anthology style thing like AHS just wouldn't feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
                  How did they make her more complex though ?
                  They didn't make her more complex they showed how the attraction to Villanelle was a complicating factor in her actions because it was complex. It wasn't just a physical attraction for one, even though that in itself is enough to make her responses to her complex, but one also that was about being drawn to her generally and the freedom of her life too I think. The attraction itself was complex, the draw, and so her responses and choices in relation to Villanelle were more than just trying to track down a serial killer. Season 2 went more deeply into all that and the destructive effect it was having on Eve and so had on her life, her relationships and morality.

Comment

I'm gong to stop watching Killing Eve. The writing is great and the acting is brilliant, but the story is so dull and predictable. Villanelle's development is so glacial and only signified by her standing in front of a mirror crying and I don't think I can watch another episode of her killing everyone, then crying about it, then Eve chases her across continents because her feelings are complex. Three seasons of this is too much

Comment

I'll finish s3 and then I'll see if It's worth continuing. I agree, It's getting pretty repetitive.

Comment

I loved S2, for many of the reasons that Stoney
                        listed—

And also for the way it flipped the relationship,
                        drawing out different aspects of both Eve
                        and Villanelle—

I started watching S3, although my analyst told
                        me that with the change of writers, it was not as
                        compelling...

I agree—

Although I still find it more complex, more engaging
                        than most of what is on tv... which I do not watch,
                        save on very, very bad days...

That said, since I can only access it right now
                        through YouTubeTV, and as I cannot bear the
                        commercials for this particular show—even when
                        I record it and skip through them (as the friend
                        who turned me onto it said, it is like going to the
                        bathroom in the middle of really, really good sex),
                        I have decided to wait until the season is over and
                        it moves to Hulu...

I'll save my comments until then—

Comment

ALL CAUGHT UP

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* So, this is an amazing show and I just bought the Blu-Rays for KE S01-S03 today.

The show maybe not being 'as good' in KE S03 doesn't mean that it still wasn't better than almost all other TV out there. And it doesn't mean that it isn't worth watching.

Viewers are getting impatient nowadays. I consider KE S03 has maybe the BtVS S7 problem in that it might have been relatively boring watching week-to-week. Binging it, its a great Season.

And KE S03 gives Villanelle other people to care about, which makes her relationship with Eve even more interesting. And Carolyn is now more interesting and sympathetic.

RESPONSES TO THE THREAD:

* Villanelle considers Eve is interested in her and loves her to certain extent. Otherwise, Villanelle would have simply killed her. She doesn't 'get away easily'. She
                          Spoiler:
                          gets stabbed in the gut by Eve and Eve could have killed her if Villanelle didn't manage to go to the hospital on time and if Eve didn't puncture major organs.

* It's easier to 'steal the scenes' when you're playing the more interesting and dynamic character. It's a big reason Spike 'steals the scenes' in the Buffyverse and it's why Eliza Dushku could 'steal scenes' in the Buffyverse even though she's arguably not as good an actor as Sarah Michelle Gellar and such.

Nonetheless, Jodie Comer's acting ability from KE S01 to KE S02 is the best improvement from a S01 to a S02 that I remember and she deserves her EMMY and awards. She's simply far better in the show than Sandra Oh.

* The story has increased in scope in KE S02 and then again in KE S03. KE S03 arguably isn't as good as KE S02 and KE S03, but its better than almost all other TV. Carolyn has become more interesting and sympathetic. We get backstory with Villanelle and now she has new connections to people. Eve perhaps has a lesser role but her role is only important because her connection to Villanelle.

* Villanellle IS the de facto star of the show and always has been. I remember the books are about Villanelle. The only reason Jodie Comer isn't the actual 1 is because Sandra Oh is a bigger name and is a producer on the show. The people aren't watching for Eve Polastri. Eve's only interesting and important because of her relationship with Oxsana.

* The entire point of the Villanelle/Eve relationship is that Eve has darkness inside and is also evil to an extent. That and Eve's position in MI5 and MI6 is why Villanelle is interested in Eve. An American Horror Story thing wouldn't make any sense.

I'm not sure why any Buffyverse fan would have a problem with the Villanelle/Eve relationship. Compared to Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Spike, Spike/Drusilla, etc... I mean Villanelle has killed perhaps dozens of people. Villanelle is slowly comprising Eve and bringing out Eve's darkness.

* The show takes place so far in around a year or whatever. There have essentially been 24 40ish minutes episodes so far. Viewers are getting impatient for some reason.

Compare Wesley's development, Spike's development, Willow's development, etc. to Villanelle's. Villanelle is a dynamic character.

Comment

Working...
                          X