No announcement yet.

Your Top 5 (or more!) Favourite Characters of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The list that follows is In no particular order.

Willow, Xander and Wesley. Three guesses as to which shows those three come from.

Spencer - Pretty Little Liars. It's a show with a ridiculous premise and full of implausible plot-twists. Doesn't matter though, because it has brilliantly crafted characters. Especially Spencer. She is the kind of teenage characters that makes me annoyed by the blandness of most such character on TV even more. She is very smart, full of courage and determination but still has more than enough flaws to balance that. You know you adore a character when she does things like stealing her sister's wedding ring in order to buy a truck for her boyfriend and you still fully support her actions. Though, it helps when the sister in question is awful beyond belief.

Omar - The Wire. So cool, yet so tragic...Also Lester Freamon.

Audrey - Haven. What do you know, it's actually possible to have a female detective who isn't all about the sexiness or her private life and who can be empathetic to some of the perpetrators while being ruthless when necessary. The backstory adds a whole different layer to her character but to mention it would be too spoilery.

Monroe - Grimm. The perfect sidekick - used often enough to make his a fan favourite but not as often as to make the show about him rather than the lead.

Luke - Gilmore Girls. Yes, sure the guy was a big cliche - the grumpy fellow with the heart of gold who pines after the heroine. This didn't make him any less fun, especially in his "only sane man in town" routine.

Chandler - Friends. Could he be more funny?

Amy Abbot and Dr. Abbot - Everwood. I couldn't finish this series because the main protagonist, Andy Brown, was one of the most insufferable jackasses ever to appear in a decent quality TV show. But the Abbots were terrific, they are the TV family that has come closest to feeling like a real family rather a TV one to me.
    Xander: "Willow, you are the best human ever! I adore you! Well, that's the cookies talking, but you rock!"

Comment

My top 5 (or more!) favorite characters of all time are:

-Dexter
      - Ross Gellar
      -Caroline Forbes
      -Damon Salvatore
      -Batman
      -Buffy
      -Spencer
      -Xander Harris.
      electronic cigarette

Comment

I think this thread should be separated on favourite male and favourite female characters because (even if that's not a rule) most girls like female characters that are similar to them or they wish to be like; but when they're considering male characters, they mostly think of them as their perfect match or best friend or something like that. Same for men, too.

So I'll bend the rules a bit :

Favourite female characters of all time:
        1. Daria Morgendorffer
        2. Willow Rosenberg
        3. Buffy Summers
        4. Veronica Mars
        5. Jadzia Dax

Favourite male characters of all time
        1. Dexter Morgan
        2. Mr. Spock
        3. Dr. Tony Hill
        4. William the Bloody (Spike)
        5. Dean Winchester

Similarities among the female crew is that they are all kind of far away from normal girly girls. I won't go further into that, because I'm trying to avoid introspection for now
        And about male characters: they are also not typical 'nice guys' with whom you can expect some apple pie life. The most importan link between them is that they all represent some kind of hero archetype, fighting monsters or serial killers, or dying for some greater purpose.

Comment

How odd that I have never replied to this thread...

I'll go with your format and list 5 female and 5 male characters...

Buffy Summers
          Katniss Everdeen
          Kira Nerys (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
          Anna Forbes (This Life [an amazing UK contemporary drama from the 1990s])
          Veronica Mars

Spike
          Spock
          Frank Pembleton (Homicide: Life on the Street)
          Logan Echolls (Veronica Mars)
          John Locke (Lost)
          others I might put on the list: Fitz (Cracker), Niles Crane (Frasier), Ryan O'Reilly (Oz)...

The interesting thing is that I can see the similarities between the female characters and why I relate to them, but the male characters aren't really those I think of as "my perfect match" or "my best friend"... with some exceptions. I do crush on some of them, but not all.
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

I made a top 10 list a while ago, so why not post it here? It's pretty male-dominated, but I like to think that has more to do with television producers than me.

1. Wesley Wyndham-Price (Angel, Buffy - Alexis Denisof)
            2. Omar Little (The Wire - Michael K. Williams)
            3. Coach Eric Taylor (Friday Night Lights - Kyle Chandler)
            4. Benjamin Linus (Lost - Michael Emerson)
            5. Brooke Davis (One Tree Hill - Sophia Bush)
            6. Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly - The Nathan Fillion)
            7. Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones - Peter Dinklage)
            8. Gustavo Fring (Breaking Bad - Giancarlo Esposito)
            9. Russell "Stringer" Bell (The Wire - Idris Elba)
            10. Dr. Perry Cox (Scrubs - John C. McGinley)

Comment

Perry Cox is a great character. Scrubs would be average without him for me.

Comment

Eh, I'll stick to TV characters as it's easier that way;

1. Buffy Summers – Favourite fictional character of all time. Never cared about another character this much and doubt I ever will again. She’s an incredible hero but still relatable and flawed and she’s wonderfully layered and complex. I identify with her so much and often feel like I’m looking into a mirror. She’s also flawlessly portrayed by SMG. A true pop culture icon.

2. Xander Harris/Willow Rosenberg – Ok, so this is cheating but I can never decide between these two. Unlike Buffy, I don’t always necessarily relate to these two characters, although often I do, but they’re a part of my childhood growing up and therefore they have an irreplaceable spot in my heart. I have a great deal of affection for both of them and never grow tired of their stories.

3. Seth Cohen- What can I say? The dude’s hilarious and when watching The OC you’d always look forward to his scenes the most. At times he could be incredibly narcissistic, in S3 he was almost a pathological liar, but despite the writing occasionally letting him down he was still incredibly entertaining and actually very complex. Best of all, the writers called him out on his elitist attitude towards the jocks/popular kids (in only the second episode!) thus proving they weren’t going to fall into the one-note ‘bullied nerd’ vs ‘mean jocks’ cliché.

4. Sidney Bristow – Probably the strongest female heroine on TV after Buffy and an incredibly underrated character. Jennifer Garner owned the role and had already captured my heart in the pilot episode which is nigh impossible to do. When she broke down over Danny’s death I nearly shed tears and was emotionally attached to her character ever since. Whilst I understand the complaints that she was objectified and exploited for the benefit of men, she was still a very strong character and had earned such episode titles as ‘There’s Only One Sidney Bristow.’

5. Dwight Schrute (S1-S4) – In the first 4 seasons of The Office Dwight was a fantastic character. Unfortunately in the later seasons he became nothing but a caricature of himself and his character’s “growth” (confidence, no longer seeking his boss’s approval, challenging Jim etc) actually made him unlikeable. Still, he’s a fantastic character in those earlier years where his love for his job, loyalty to Michael, antics on Schrute Farms, rivalry with Jim, and bizarre relationship with Angela helped make the show what it was.

Honorable mentions go to;

- Summer Roberts: Love her character growth from spoilt airhead into political activist. She really won my heart in S4 and how she coped with Marissa’s death.

- Angel: Always loved the moral complexity with this character but, most of all, I freakin' love his humor. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for how funny he can be ("they talk about me in the chatty rooms?")

- Pam Beasley: God, she made me teary so many times. I felt so incredibly bad for her when nobody came to her art show. She's always a character I know I'd be friends with in the workplace.

- Phil Dumphey: I wish I had a dad like Phil. His character just has such a good heart and a child-like spirit and I can't help but smile every time he's on the screen.

Pam: Wicked funny and by far the best thing about TB. I pretty much live for her scenes because you know she's always going to be dressed in something hilarious, she'll always be saying something totally inappropriate and amazing, and she'll be an incredible BAMF doing it.

Laura Roslin: Easily the best thing about BSG. She was my favourite character pretty much from the beginning and I love her journey. I blubbered like a baby when she died.

It's hard not to mention most the cast of BtVS. Cordy, Anya, Giles, Oz, Tara, Spike, FAITH... all some of the best characters on TV. But if I listed all of them it'd pretty much turn into a big Buffyverse love fest.
                Last edited by vampmogs; 04-11-12, 12:33 AM.
                "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Top 5 fictional characters of all time!

1. Dean Winchester (Supernatural)

Why do you like or connect with this character?
                  Dean is such a terribly tragic figure, who is constantly a walking contradiction. He puts up this giant front but is someone completely different underneath, with more layers than I've ever seen in fiction. He also happens to be portrayed by an actor who seems to understand Dean on a level that none of the writers even do, which just makes it even more perfect.

As to connecting with it, I don't know, not beyond the reasons I stated above.

2. Carol Pelletier (The Walking Dead)

Carol is just amazing, with one of the most breathtaking character arcs out there. I also love how slow-burn her growth of character is. It's not like she suddenly changes at the end of S1 or in the middle of S2, it happens so slowly that you almost don't even notice it until she's already become the badass of S5.

Mostly, I thoroughly enjoy watching her go from the meek, quiet abused wife to a strong, self-reliant woman who is more badass than any of the male characters on the show!

3. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce (Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel)

Another powerful arc across all 5 seasons (half of Buffy S3/half of Angel S1).

My favorite part of his arc (other than all of S4!) is that his arc isn't straight forward. It's not like Spike (evil to good) or Faith (good to evil to good). Instead, Wesley goes from being a good man struggling to figure out what's right and so convinced that he knows better, to being this morally grey ******* who no longer cares much about who's right, he's gonna do what he wants, but at the same time, he is, in some ways, a better person than he was in BtVS S3. I just love how murky he remains throughout, even when he's the bumbling moron of earlier seasons.

4. Damon Salvatore (The Vampire Diaries)

Along with Caroline Forbes, Damon is a huge part of why I actually enjoy this show (which isn't really that good if you remove, like, a small handful of characters). On top of being almost as brilliantly cast as Jensen Ackles in SPN, Damon is such a breath of fresh air on a show full of characters trying to do the right thing. Here's Damon, never trying to do something as silly as what's right, instead doing what's fun. He is a chaos lover if ever there was one and often times I find that he's also right; I usually agree with him in most cases.

5. Liz Taylor (American Horror Story: Hotel)

Despite being one of my least favorite seasons, it has one of the most compelling characters in the entire run of the show. Dennis O'Hare's portrayal of this tragic transgender woman who still, somehow, tries to see the positive is just beyond incredible and causes me a strange sense of excitement for a future re-watch, which I would've dreaded without this one character only. Just. Brilliant.
                  "Gay, straight, retarded, why do we have to put a label on everything?"

Comment

The 6 fictional characters I connect with . . .

Buffy Summers - smart, sexy, kick-ass woman, it's who I want to be when I grow up

Jessica Fletcher - smart as a whip, creative, kind and fearless.

Cordelia Chase - smart, take-no-crap, loyal, loving

Father Ted Crilly - the sanest person in a world of lunatics

Liz Lemon - ordinary with all the insecurities but she's smart and funny and so much more

Dr John Watson - the sidekick, the bumbler, the helpmate

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                      How odd that I have never replied to this thread...

I'll go with your format and list 5 female and 5 male characters...

Buffy Summers
                      Katniss Everdeen
                      Anna Forbes (This Life [an amazing UK contemporary drama from the 1990s])
                      Veronica Mars

Spike
                      Spock
                      Frank Pembleton (Homicide: Life on the Street)
                      John Locke (Lost)
                      others I might put on the list: Fitz (Cracker), Niles Crane (Frasier), Ryan O'Reilly (Oz)...

The interesting thing is that I can see the similarities between the female characters and why I relate to them, but the male characters aren't really those I think of as "my perfect match" or "my best friend"... with some exceptions. I do crush on some of them, but not all.
                      Wow, I last replied to this thread 7 years ago. There have been changes, of course.

Just TV characters:

Clarke Griffin (The 100)
                      Bellamy Blake (The 100)
                      Buffy Summers
                      Nora Durst (The Leftovers)
                      Philip Jennings (The Americans)
                      Elizabeth Jennings (The Americans)
                      Frank Pembleton (Homicide: LOTS)
                      Fitz (Agents of SHIELD)
                      Spike
                      Anna Forbes (This Life)
                      Daisy Johnson (Agents of SHIELD)
                      Spock
                      Jessica Jones
                      BoJack Horseman
                      Princess Carolyn (BoJack Horseman)
                      Diane Ngyyen (BoJack Horseman)
                      John Locke (Lost)
                      Doc (Wynonna Earp)
                      Eleanor Shellstrop (The Good Place)
                      Doc Cochrane (Deadwood)
                      Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 26-11-19, 11:08 PM.
                      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

It was surprisingly hard to answer that. In the end I chose these characters. Not because I think they are the best character and not because I feel any connection with them, but because I enjoyed them very much and always wanted to see more of them.
                        This list could be much longer, but I decided to limit it to only 6.

1. Basil Fawlty
                        2. Joxer
                        3. Wesley
                        4. Louie de Palma
                        5-6. Number Six and Baltar

Comment

Originally posted by Alce View Post
                          It was surprisingly hard to answer that. In the end I chose these characters. Not because I think they are the best character and not because I feel any connection with them, but because I enjoyed them very much and always wanted to see more of them.
                          This list could be much longer, but I decided to limit it to only 6.

1. Basil Fawlty
                          2. Joxer
                          3. Wesley
                          4. Louie de Palma
                          5-6. Number Six and Baltar
                          I loved Baltar and Six.
                          Though Six is technically multiple characters. But I loved almost all of them.

Comment

1. Audrey Horne (Twin Peaks)
                            2. Willow Rosenberg (Buffy)
                            3. Dana Scully (The X-Files)
                            4. Tony Sopranos (The Sopranos)
                            5. Benjamin Linus (LOST)
                            6. George Constanza (Seinfeld)
                            7. Spike (Buffy)
                            8. Spock (Star Trek)
                            9. Veronica Mars
                            10. John Locke (LOST)
                            11. Columbo (Columbo)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Trick View Post
                              1. Audrey Horne (Twin Peaks)
                              2. Willow Rosenberg (Buffy)
                              3. Dana Scully (The X-Files)
                              4. Tony Sopranos (The Sopranos)
                              5. Benjamin Linus (LOST)
                              6. George Constanza (Seinfeld)
                              7. Spike (Buffy)
                              8. Spock (Star Trek)
                              9. Veronica Mars
                              10. John Locke (LOST)
                              11. Columbo (Columbo)

Great list. I loved Columbo too but I can't remember ever seeing him on a list before. Maybe because it was so long ago?I also really liked McCloud, I haven't thought of him in years but it was so funny to me as a child.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                                Great list. I loved Columbo too but I can't remember ever seeing him on a list before. Maybe because it was so long ago?I also really liked McCloud, I haven't thought of him in years but it was so funny to me as a child.
                                Thanks! I think with Columbo its just that fact that he was a character ahead of his time and changed the style of the TV Detectives.

Comment

Working...
                                X