Your Top 5 (or more!) Favourite Characters of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Top 5 (or more!) Favourite Characters of All Time

We've all done this before in the other Top 5 series of threads, so I'm not sure rules are really needed. Simply put, from any TV series--who are your top five or more favourite characters of all time? A little explanation or your thoughts on the character would also be nice. Enjoy!

Here are a few questions to help you get going if you need it.

1. Why do you like or connect with these characters?
    2. Do you see any similarities between yourself and the character in question?
    3. How much have these characters impacted who you are?

It took me a while before I realised that Harry Potter is my favorite character ever. For a long time I said that Remus Lupin and Neville Longbottom were my favorite HP characters. It's easier to like Remus or Neville because there is so much blank... the series is from Harry's POV. We don't know what Neville thinks or what Remus does when he is not with Harry. And before you know it the characters in your head are partly your own creation. Canon!Harry I know through and through and he is awesome minus the times he behaved like a typical teenage boy. Which is what turned me off in the past, everytime he failed to be a good friend to Hermione (who he misunderstood 70% of the time.) by example. But in the end I wouldn't want another leading figure in those books and JKR managed to keep Harry a teenager and human while making him a hero.

And I love his sassy humor...

After Harry my list is a bit of a mess. I don't really have a list, but I can drop some names.

The Doctor
    I'm going to cheat and not pick a favorite Doctor. I love the whole idea of an acient alien traveling through time and space. Every doctor is charming, funny, engaging, inspirational and smart in his own way... how can you not love the Doctor?

Angel (the Minear years -yeah I know others wrote him as well in these years-)
    I liked Angel just fine in BtVS and he was still my favorite character in season 5 but my love for Angel is because of Ats season 1-4. I call these the Minear years because this are the seasons were Tim Minear was part of the crew and the most brilliant episodes were written by him.

These were the years that Angel was alive, I could connect easily with him and you saw him grow (and fall, to come back even stronger before falling and standing up again) in these years. He was extremely well written.
    What I enjoyed most about him was that you never know what is going to happen with him; he doesn't always win or does the right thing... ut at the same time the writers always made him a character you could understand in these years.

Remus Lupin
    Probably the character in this list I can relate with the most. Well if we ignore the selfhate and depression. I still have issues with what happened in book 6 and 7 but I think we can blame that on the way of storytelling. Because it's Harry's POV and because Harry is still too young to really read people properly, we had a strange development of Remus. He was probably slipping 'offscreen' and we saw him hitting rock bottom after seeing barely anything of him in the last years. But POA!Remus was one of my favorite characters ever.

Mathilda
    Before Harry Potter came in my life, Roald Dahl's books were my childhood. And I still have my Roald Dahl books on a nice place in my room.

And of all books Mathilda was my favorite. As a little girl I loved the smart and sassy girl who managed to outsmart her terrible parents and the awful head of the school. But she gets a spot in my list so she can share it with all the other awesome Roald Dahl characters.

Neville Longbottom
    I never got why nobody wanted to be his friend in the early years. I would totally want to be his friend, who cares he is not the coolest guy on earth? I think that I just rate Neville really high, even higer than Harry himself. If a boy can become what he became with such a start, everything must be possible.
    Last edited by Nina; 06-04-11, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Spike, Buffy, Faith, Drusilla, Gaius Baltar

They are interesting, fun, and multi-dimensional.

I'm good looking, intelligent, have strong passions, and date attractive people.

Buffy over time made me a bit of a feminist. This happened a few years after the show ended and mostly because I noticed how other shows treated women and how society was treating them. All the characters I listed are feminists in various ways.
      Last edited by MikeB; 06-04-11, 01:02 AM. Reason: Messed up a bolding thing.

Comment

This is not in any order.

Captain Picard [Star Trek: the Next Generation] I like him more than Kirk to be honest because we've seen more of him and "Justice" proved how selfless he can be. He didn't have to save Wesley, but he couldn't just violate Starfleet or the Prime Directive.

Riley Finn [Buffy] He's one character that I didn't really recognize when I first watched BtVS when I was 12-11ish, but as I continue to watch the show, I like him, especially cause he risked his hyde for Buffy, but in the end, we all know what happens. Moving on...

Wesley Crusher [Star Trek: The Next Generation] I like Wil Wheaton and this character is one I can relate to. He dealt with pressures of Starfleet, I'm dealing with pressures of high school, and I'm close to graduating. He eventually got accepted into Starfleet [by season 4] and I got accepted into my college. See what I mean?

Ryo of the Wildfire [Ronin Warriors] A selfless leader as I said about Captain Picard, but he's selfless in his own way, even though it's mistaken for him being emo and all that crap, but I see bravery and compassion in the leader of the Ronin Warriors. Not to mention, yum.

Buffy Summers [Buffy the Vampire Slayer] She's a heroine all the way, and she is flawlessly flawed, however I like her, and some other girls on different shows can learn some things from her.

Paul Hennesy [8 Simple Rules] He was an excellent father for the two seasons we saw him, and it was real sad when he died so suddenly in "Goodbye". Not to mention John Ritter.

Chekov [Star Trek] He's my ST crush, guilty! Whether it's the original or 2009 Chekov, I find myself attracted to him since I've known him the TOS' second season. Plus the accent.

Uhura [Star Trek] Shows a good example for women and Africans and she is rather beautiful and I like that Nichelle Nichols decided to stay on the show. If she had left, that would've been the biggest mistake ever.
        sigpic
        NOT FADE AWAY

An Angel continuity/crossover with Power Rangers
        Coming Soon!!

Comment

Gonna cheat and include movie and book characters.

Spike
          Sirius Black
          Audrey Horne (from Twin Peaks)
          V, V for Vendetta
          Buffy

I honestly can't explain why I like these characters as much as I do. It's just kismet.

Comment

Remus Lupin
            Neville Longbottom
            Gaius Baltar
            Paul Hennesy
            Sirius Black

Comment

1. Spike
              2. Faith
              3. Dexter
              4. Sam Winchester
              5. Seth Cohen (The O.C)

I can't really explain either, apart from the fact that I wish I looked as good as Faith :P
              .Forever, That's The Whole Point...

Comment

1. Buffy

I grew up with Buffy, so to speak, and she has been a role model through my life. When I was younger, she was cool and had the same colour hair as me...but as I grew older, I felt like I could relate more to Buffy. Rewatching it, I find I can relate to her more and more, so she definitely deserves a spot on my list.

2. Wolf. The 10th Kingdom.

Adorable, hilarious, hot, always the one character I can never take my eyes off. He is such a wonderful character, I loved his arc.

3. Bellatrix.

The one Death Eater with a brain. Even before HBC was (perfectly) cast as Bellatrix, she swiftly became my favourite character in the final two books. I just wish there was more of her in the books. (Hopefully with Pottermore, there will be more Bella!)

4. Frollo - Hunchback of Notre Dame

I'm weird, I always prefer the villians in films because they're fun to watch and I just find it quite interesting. Frollo was interesting to watch and was full of subtext. Watching him and working him out...well, it's great. He has one of the best Villian songs too.

5. Anne Boleyn (I know, I'm slightly cheating here.......)

If any film has Anne Boleyn in, I'll watch it and love it. (With the exception of The Other Boleyn Girl. Terrible, terrible film, historically incorrect and just appaulingly acted.) Anne Boleyn is my favourite historical figure and I love to see how various people portray her. Natalie Dormer is still my favourite portrayal, however I did love Helena Bonham Carter's and Geneviève Bujold's too. As much as I do like Natalie Portman, her portrayal was laughable.

sigpic
                ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

I love the characters of Faith, Willow, Buffy, Xander, and Angel.

With Faith, the answer is because I share many of the same personality traits. I tend to dress in dark colors (mainly red and black/brown), am outgoing, and don`t care much about authority. Buffy and Willow are funny and good role models, as is Xander in a way. Angel is, like Faith, the only other one I can really relate to.

As I said above, Faith and Angel are like me in many ways.

Muchly. They are my role models in many situations.
                  Member of the BuffyForums Welcoming Commitee

Click my DragonCave eggs please! http://dragcave.net/user/Arya_the_elven_lady

Copy the to your sig!

Comment

I used to be into all the dark clothing when I was younger but as I've grown older I've changed a lot. I'm more assertive, and so is my dress sense. I was a very gothic teenager, looking at me now you wouldn't even know.
                    .Forever, That's The Whole Point...

Comment

I think my favourite character of all time is Darla from Ats/Btvs there is just so much there I love, the complexness of the character the fact that her story was delved into the way it was and told wonderfully and with a good ending to it, Julie’s portrayal just everything. I can’t really explain it but this is the character that pops into my mind when asked about favourites.

Others:

Bill Adama- Battlestar Galactica
                      Severus Snape- Harry Potter
                      Sirius Black- Harry Potter
                      Bellatrix lestrange- Harry Potter
                      Buffy Summers- BtvS
                      Donna Noble- Doctor who
                      River song- Doctor who
                      Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh, goodness this is hard (and I just realized this list is not just for TV Shows but for all media, whoops):

Spike (William Pratt)
                        Sheryl Nome
                        Hermione Granger
                        Buffy Summers
                        Elizabeth Bennett
                        Jean Grey
                        (Future) Trunks Briefs
                        Data
                        Daniel Jackson
                        Winry Rockbell
                        Edward Elric
                        Catwoman (Selina Kyle from the Batman Cartoon)
                        Legolas
                        Aerith Gainsborough
                        Karl Agathon
                        Leia Organa
                        Severus Snape
                        Han Solo
                        Vegeta

And I know there is more, many more, but these are the ones off the top of my head.
                        Last edited by Tennyoelf; 24-08-11, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, to make things easier I think I'll stick with BtVS characters...

#1 Buffy, of course!
                          #2 Anya
                          #3 Spike
                          #4 Giles
                          #5 Angel

Buffy: Not only is she able to fight evil while maintaining wonderfully blonde curly hair, but she is the epitome of a hero and she really makes that transition from teenager to adult in the series. And she manages to balance it all out, even if sometimes she feels down in the dumps.
                          Anya: The fact that she's an ex-demon/turned back into a demon definitely gives her the X factor. It was fascinating watching her transform from a killing machine to (almost) soft in character. Not too mention she is hilariously blunt and entertaining.
                          Spike: Bloody hell, this doesn't need an explanation. Spike = all that is cool, plus he takes all the hits in the series. Whether it be physical hits or blows to his feelings.
                          Giles: First off, he can sing and play the guitar!!!!!!!!! And I love the fact that though he is an anal nerd, there's a side to him that's also really bad ass.
                          Angel: He's a true charmer, nuff said.

Overall though, Buffy has had the most impact on me because she's a true inspiration for battling the evils of my own world.

Comment

I'm just going to do a few best of lists for a few franchises and then list a few random characters I love.

BtVS/AtS:

1. Liam/Angel(us)
                            2. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
                            3. William Pratt/Spike
                            4. Darla
                            5. Winifred "Fred" Burkle/Illyria
                            6. Drusilla
                            7. Daniel Holtz, Sr.
                            8. Connor
                            9. Faith Lehane
                            10. Buffy Anne Summers
                            11. Rupert Giles
                            12. Lilah Morgan
                            13. Lindsay McDonald
                            14. Holland Manners

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Doctor Who (and to point out which eras they are from, I'm giving the years):

1. 10th Doctor (David Tennant, 1971-? || 2005-2010)
                            2. James Robert "Jamie" McCrimmon (Frazer Hines, 1944-? || 1966-1969, 1983, 1985)
                            3. 2nd Doctor (Patrick Troughton, 1920-1987 || 1966-1969, 1973, 1983, 1985)
                            4. Rose Marion Tyler (Billie Piper, 1982-? || 2005-2006, 2008, 2010)
                            5. 4th Doctor (Tom Baker, 1934-? || 1974-1981, 1993)
                            6. 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee, 1919-1996 || 1970-1974, 1983, 1993)
                            7. 11th Doctor (Matt Smith, 1982-? || 2010-?)
                            8. Donna Noble (Catherine Tate, 1968-? || 2006, 2008-2010)
                            9. Ian Chesterton (William Russell, 1924-? || 1963-1965)
                            10. Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (Nicholas Courtney, 1929-2011 || 1965, 1968, 1970-1975, 1983, 1989, 1993, 2008)
                            11. Zoe Heriot (Wendy Padbury, 1947-? || 1968-1969, 1983)
                            12. Josephine "Jo" Grant (Katy Manning, 1946-? || 1971-1973, 2010)
                            13. Sarah Jane Smith (Elisabeth Sladen, 1946-2011 || 1973-1976, 1981, 1983, 1993, 2006-2011)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Random:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Tom Hulce, Amadeus)
                            Lydia Deetz (Winona Ryder, Beetlejuice)
                            Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton, Beetlejuice)
                            Edward Scissorhands (Johnny Depp, Edward Scissorhands)
                            Thackery Binx (Sean Murray/Jason Marsden, Hocus Pocus)
                            Winifred Sanderson (Bette Midler, Hocus Pocus)
                            Elwood Blues (Dan Aykroyd, The Blues Brothers)
                            "Joliet" Jake Blues (John Belushi, The Blues Brothers)
                            John "Bluto" Blutarsky (John Belushi, National Lampoon's Animal House)
                            Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox, Back to the Future)
                            "Doc" Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd, Back to the Future)
                            Alex P. Keaton (Michael J. Fox, Family Ties)
                            Kat Harvey (Christina Ricci, Casper)
                            Han Solo (Harrison Ford, Star Wars)
                            Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones, Jr. (Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones)
                            Princess Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher, Star Wars)
                            Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill, Star Wars)
                            Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen, Indiana Jones)
                            Sallah (John Rhys-Davies, Indiana Jones)
                            René Belloq (Paul Freeman, Indiana Jones)
                            Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. (Sean Connery, Indiana Jones)
                            John Milner (Paul Le Mat, American Graffiti)
                            Carol Morrison (Mackenzie Phillips, American Graffiti)
                            Whitey Marsh (Mickey Rooney, Boys Town)
                            Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland, The Wizard of Oz)
                            Ozma of Oz (from L. Frank Baum's Oz series)
                            Johnny Nolan (James Dunn, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn)
                            Peter Pan (Bobby Driscoll, Peter Pan)
                            Wendy Moira Angela Darling (Kathryn Beaumont, Peter Pan)
                            Prince Phillip (Bill Shirley, Sleeping Beauty)
                            Genie (Robin Williams, Aladdin)
                            Aladdin (Scott Weinger/Brad Kane, Aladdin)
                            Maleficent (Eleanor Audley, Sleeping Beauty)
                            J. Worthington "Honest John" Foulfellow (Walter Catlett, Pinocchio)
                            Wednesday Addams (Christina Ricci, The Addams Family)
                            Gomez Addams (John Astin/Raúl Juliá, The Addams Family)
                            Morticia Addams (Carolyn Jones, The Addams Family)
                            Jeannie (Barbara Eden, I Dream of Jeannie)
                            Maj. Tony Nelson (Larry Hagman, I Dream of Jeannie)
                            Maj. Roger Healey (Bill Daily, I Dream of Jeannie)
                            Samantha Stevens (Elizabeth Montgomery, Bewitched)
                            Endora (Agnes Moorehead, Bewitched)
                            Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz, I Love Lucy)
                            Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball, I Love Lucy)
                            Ethel Mertz (Vivian Vance, I Love Lucy)
                            Tom-Tom Piper (Felix Knight, Babes in Toyland a.k.a. March of the Wooden Soldiers)
                            Half-Boy (Johnny Eck, Freaks)
                            Angeleno (Angelo Rossitto, Freaks)
                            Cleopatra (Olga Baclanova, Freaks)
                            Phroso (Wallace Ford, Freaks)
                            Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews, Mary Poppins)
                            Maria von Trapp (Julie Andrews, The Sound of Music)
                            Cpt. Georg von Trapp (Christopher Plummer, The Sound of Music)
                            Liesl von Trapp (Charmian Carr, The Sound of Music)
                            Last edited by NileQT87; 22-08-11, 02:10 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

From the Buffyverse, my favorite characters are;

Buffy, first and foremost. I fell in love with this young and very brave girl. She stands out to me above all other characters as being a true hero.

Angel, another deep down true hero who I easily identify. His story is tragic and breaks my heart.

Giles, a hero of a different color. I have always loved the endless support and love that Giles gave Buffy. He is also kick butt by his own rights.

Wesley, the character who did a 360 right before our eyes. Few actors could have convincingly pulled off the change in Wesley from Buffy and early ATS to bad *ss watcher at the end.

Oz, the man of few words but every word counts. There is something so unique and complex about this character, while at the same time maintaining a simple quality, that I find no others before or after have compared.

Other fandoms;

Dean from Supernatural takes his spot slightly behind Buffy as I find their character to be very similar.

Micheal from Thirty Something, the strong silent type. Paved the way for my love of Angel

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Comment

Working...
                              X