Your Top 5 (or more!) Favourite Shows of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OKay, I edited the title.

Wanted to add that I give Alias an honorable mention as well. Fun, exciting, dramatic with lots of great familial issues and dense mythology....good stuff! And though it just finished its 2nd season, Fringe is on the fast track to being an all-time fave as well!
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
      OKay, I edited the title.

Wanted to add that I give Alias an honorable mention as well. Fun, exciting, dramatic with lots of great familial issues and dense mythology....good stuff! And though it just finished its 2nd season, Fringe is on the fast track to being an all-time fave as well!
      Oh yay! Thanks so much Jenni Lou! I was trying to ask someone else, but I'm glad you did that sooner. Btw, do all basic mods have that magic power of changing thread names, or is it just a select magical few?

Comment

Originally posted by ProphecyBoy View Post
        Oh yay! Thanks so much Jenni Lou! I was trying to ask someone else, but I'm glad you did that sooner. Btw, do all basic mods have that magic power of changing thread names, or is it just a select magical few?
        No problem.

And this is something you can ask in a visitor message or PM in the future. But to answer, any moderator assigned to a particular section can edit/move/merge threads. However, members should be able to edit their own threads, I believe. So if you are the thread starter, you should see a few options available under the "Thread Tools" menu at the top of the page.
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

No problem.

And this is something you can ask in a visitor message or PM in the future. But to answer, any moderator assigned to a particular section can edit/move/merge threads. However, members should be able to edit their own threads, I believe. So if you are the thread starter, you should see a few options available under the "Thread Tools" menu at the top of the page.
          Well I'm not so sure we can actually change the titles ourselves though? Because I've tried before in the Games section and on a Buffy board, and while you can change the little subheading that appears as a title once you click the thread - I think the main one that appears outside doesn't show up. I'll try for the future and check up on that though. But thanks for filling me in. That's some great info to know!

Also, btw Jenni Lou I know you're a Roswell fan. And while I'm going to bring it up more in the thread I'm making I was just wondering (and hoping) did you get the chance to read the 4 closing books that acted as the final 4 episodes? I'm really hoping someone has, but I'm not to optimistic currently. It's so unfortunate too cause if I were to buy them it'd cost like over $400 just to get them new...
          Last edited by CaptainOats; 09-04-11, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ProphecyBoy View Post
            Also, btw Jenni Lou I know you're a Roswell fan. And while I'm going to bring it up more in the thread I'm making I was just wondering (and hoping) did you get the chance to read the 4 closing books that acted as the final 4 episodes? I'm really hoping someone has, but I'm not to optimistic currently. It's so unfortunate too cause if I were to buy them it'd cost like over $400 just to get them new...
            Yes, I LOVE Roswell. I didn't watch much tv before this show but I just happened to watch the pilot--rather serendipitously, in retrospect--and was pulled in immediately. It's absolutely one of my all-time favorite pilots. And I became so engrossed that I sought out other fans and so this show was really my first true introduction to online fandom, which at the time the show began, was very much a small and tiny thing.

But no, I have not read them. Didn't even know about them! Are they canon? Because I have a thing about not getting involved in non-canon things.

I've been meaning to do a rewatch, but I keep getting sidetracked by all the other great tv out there, of which I already watch too much of. Not to mention the other rewatches I want to do too! Like Veronica Mars. Maybe Alias too. Argh! Too many good things to watch! I have this huge backlog of stuff I am already behind on.
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, I LOVE Roswell. I didn't watch much tv before this show but I just happened to watch the pilot--rather serendipitously, in retrospect--and was pulled in immediately. It's absolutely one of my all-time favorite pilots. And I became so engrossed that I sought out other fans and so this show was really my first true introduction to online fandom, which at the time the show began, was very much a small and tiny thing.

But no, I have not read them. Didn't even know about them! Are they canon? Because I have a thing about not getting involved in non-canon things.
              Well unfortunately I only discovered it at Christmastime - well actually it was my birthday which happens to fall on Dec. 23rd, but anyways I specifically got the Roswell dvd's after being interested for so long. But long story short I saw the pilot after some bday dinner and found I just couldn't stop watching. Like something compelled me about it that I have only ever found with Buffy before. Battlestar Galactica, Dollhouse and Veronica Mars...while I love them to death, and to a degree more than the Buffyverse - there's a much different type of attraction there for me. The only reason I love them more is for the incredibly written stories and people. But anyways, for some reason with Buffy and Roswell there is this undescribable joy and happiness I get out of it. It sounds cheesy, but I've just been itching to see it again as soon as possible.

So right now my plan is that in about a week and a half when all my finals end I think I'm gonna dive right in again. I'm so happy to find such another huge fan though. It makes me so very sad to think of how limited we are considering it's such an amazing show.

And oh no! I can't believe you didn't know about the books Jenni Lou! Hmm, well to get you up to speed here's a link with the basic idea of each novel (or episode). http://www.antarians.com/roswell/bookguide3.html It's from the best Roswell site on the net (that I've found) and is pretty good for all other stuff related to the show too. But yeah on that page the link takes you to it shows 8 books. The first four were ones written to bridge the gap between S2 and S3, while the last four shown were the ones set directly after the finale, as in a matter of a few hours while the gang is still driving away. From people I've talked to elsewhere, I've learned that Jason Katims gave the authors a general idea of how he had planned to wrap up the series and the specifications that had to be included. So while I guess it's not completely canon, due to the creator's development and involvement and the generally good reviews from them they're widely accepted as canon for those hardcore fans like us who want a more satisfying ending.

The original Roswell High Book Series I have, but unfortunately as I arrived in the fandom so very late I missed all the TV tie-in books, and obviously the most important ones which wrapped everything up. Plus like I mentioned above, they're extremely hard to find new, and even used the prices are at least over $50 and way more than average prices. I've been looking everywhere for an ebook version of them but so far no luck. With the ebook revolution taking place I'm sure they'll come along eventually though. Almost all of the Buffy books have been converted so these ones can't be far behind can they? I sure hope so anyways, because part of me wants them so bad that I find myself saying "It's not that much money..." a lot of the time! I might just have to wait till Xmas holidays though.

All the reviews I've heard are surprisingly extraordinary considering they weren't directly written by the show writers or anything. But the general opinions are that the first two books are good, while the last two are absolutely EPIC. The only bad things include a few minor wrong details like miscounted dates or the most random and irrelevant facts and etc. etc. Personally I don't care about that kind of thing at all, so regardless of a few inconsistencies I know I'd love them.

But yeah, I've done quite a bit of research. You never know though, someone here may have read them... Right... Yeah I know it's probably a huge stretch, but I think it's worth a shot at least. There are a few in depth summaries on the web I know about if you're interested, but I'm afraid that it would ruin the experience if I ever really did get my hands on a copy of each book.
              I've been meaning to do a rewatch, but I keep getting sidetracked by all the other great tv out there, of which I already watch too much of. Not to mention the other rewatches I want to do too! Like Veronica Mars. Maybe Alias too. Argh! Too many good things to watch! I have this huge backlog of stuff I am already behind on.
              Ehh I feel your pain. I have to finish my VMars rewatch badly... I'm taking it far too slow, and I stupidly started a huge Buffy and Angel one the other day also. But oh well, once it's all out of the way maybe I'll start Roswell then. It shouldn't delay me too much I think, but I really don't want my swamped TV schedule to put a downer or anything on the amazingness of the show. You should watch it too though. It's never to late to refresh old loves my fellow Roswellian!

Anywho, it's so good talking to a Roswell fan for once. We must band together! I'll look forward to chatting more once the thread is up!

Comment

1. Great info. Thanks! I'm gonna browse the link in a few minutes.

2. There's definitely some folks here who are fans of the show. Not a whole lot, but some.

3. If you start a rewatch thread in the future, I will certainly stop in and give some thoughts. I don't know if I will be rewatching soon, but trust me, I know all the episodes and titles and all kinds of good stuff. I haven't watched it in some time but I used to watch it often so I have seen most episodes many several times.

4. We are totally derailing this thread! But at least it's not O/T.

5. Your excitement warms my inner alien heart.
                sigpic

Comment

God! haven't been here in ages!! and I so love this place! (hating universaty more than ever right now) Anyway coming back hopefully and here is my top 10 (I restrict myself)

1. Fringe: becouse I love the comlexce since stuff and I love the fact that Jhoschua Jackson is finaly starring in something I like
                  2. Buffy the vampire slayer: for turning me to tv shows this forum, getting me addicted and for making me cry still wathing stuff like Innocence. Oh and of course for giving me hope and a romantic heart
                  3. Doctor Who: my new obsession
                  4.Angel: becouse of mostly Julie Benz who I adore
                  5. Sex and the City: for giving my mum and me something to be addicted to together as my mum is absolutoly teriffied of sci-fi stuff (though cought her wathing Doctor Who the other day.. so hope is glooming)
                  6. One tree hill: for the amazing music
                  7. Merlin: I just love Merlin
                  8. The X files becouse I remember wathing it as a kid and being absolutaly terriffied
                  9. Supernatural; does this needs explaning Dean, Sam and probably the best storylines I have seen since Buffy
                  10. How I met Your Mother

Honarable mention: The Nenny
                  Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
                    6. One tree hill: for the amazing music
                    Right? I didn't watch s7 but I watched all the other seasons and the main reason was the music. I found so many great bands and songs through this show. I never thought music selection would be enough for me to watch something but they just did it so well! I really liked the music montages and codas in that show.
                    sigpic

Comment

1. Scrubs- Never fails to cheer me up
                      2. Friends- Ditto. The earlier series, at least.
                      3. Veronica Mars- Just awesome.
                      4. Wonderfalls- Bloody brilliant programme cut down before it got a fair chance.
                      5. Buffy, or the stuff I've seen and fangirled over thus far.
                      6. Bones- Up to The Critic in the Cabernet, anyway. I've seen up to the end of series 4, but The Critic in the Cabernet and the last one in the series were both such massive disappointments, I'm really iffy about buying s5. I don't know if I like the direction the show is taking.
                      7. Lost- s1-3, at least. It kind of goes downhill from there. Though there was a certain relationship in the later episodes I adored.
                      8. QI- Only number 8 because I don't know if quizcoms count. Stephen Fry and pointless facts= <3
                      9. Would I Lie To You?- Because one day I'm going to marry David Mitchell. And it's just a brilliant show.
                      10. I can't think of one thing to put here but 10 is a nice number. I might just say Heroes s1, Skins, Glee, Malcolm in the Middle and what little I've seen of Desperate Housewives. And I'll probably think of other things at some point, or discover something else and fall in love with it.

Comment

In no order:
                        1. Doctor Who
                        2. Glee
                        3. Lost
                        4. Community
                        5. Skins (seasons 1/2)
                        6. The Tribe
                        7. The Monkees :P

Comment

1. Buffy
                          2. Firefly
                          3. Alias
                          4. Dollhouse
                          5. Desperate Housewives/Harper's Island/Sex and the City/V/24

Some major cheating going on.. but choosing just 5 is very hard! :P
                          Moss: Four! Five! I mean Fire!
                          Tosh: Because you're breaking my heart.

Comment

1. Supernatural
                            2. Merlin
                            3. Doctor Who
                            4. Battlestar Galactica
                            5. Firefly

(6. Third Watch)

Comment

I have no order, i have them in the exact same scale as i like them all equal but i would choose:
                              Buffy, Supernatural, Mad Men, Chuck is probably my favourite, and Star Trek: The Original Series
                              I also like Gossip Girl, Smallville and while it's not very well written sometimes it's still fun to watch Merlin.

Comment

1- Buffy The Vampire Slayer
                                2- True Blood
                                3- Dexter
                                4- Deadwood
                                5- Six Feet Under
                                sigpic
                                banner made by my homegirl {HisMRS}

Comment

Working...
                                X