Cowboy Beebop and Firefly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Beebop and Firefly

OK after listening to the Buffy boys podcast they mentioned that Joss copies Cowboy Beebop for the Serenity movie. Now Iv often heard that before in relation to Cowboy Beebop and Firefly but as Iv not seen Cowboy Beebop I couldn’t comment and wondered if others on here could say if its true or not ?

This isn't something I've ever heard mentioned and have never heard of Cowboy Bebop before. From a quick google search it seems there is an anime tv series and a later film, was it either specifically they referenced or just it in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      This isn't something I've ever heard mentioned and have never heard of Cowboy Bebop before. From a quick google search it seems there is an anime tv series and a later film, was it either specifically they referenced or just it in general?
      They specifically said the Serenity movie copied it right down to the villain and themes in both. Its free on the channel 4 version of iplayer More 4 so I shall watch it to check it out to see what tne show is like
      Last edited by BtVS fan; 11-09-20, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the info.

Stoney Just started watching the first episode and it's already obvious that Whedon ripped of Cowboy Bebop, right down to using the same guitar rif with a shot of the ships flying. Im not kidding.

Comment

It's pretty well-known - Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and most importantly Outlaw Star.

Comment

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool cheers

Just because they share some tropes doesn't mean that Joss ripped Cowboy Bebop off. And no Joss didn't ripoff Sailor Moon either to make Buffy.

Last edited by Lostsoul666; 13-09-20, 05:56 PM.
        My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you seen Cowboy Bebop. Its the exact same music rif

I've just rewatched the Cowboy Bepop opening credits and I can't pick up on any similarity between it and the Firefly theme

I can't comment on the similarities between it and Serenity.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          Not the opening credits theme but that riff that plays when the ship is blasting off somewhere. Like in the pilot where it powers up and escapes the Ship captained by the Dr from Angel I Fall to pieces

Does he rip it off - or pay homage to it? You could say Star Wars rips off The Searchers but I'm not sure that's how Lucas would phrase it. They used the music from Vertigo in The Artist and claimed it was homage.
        Last edited by TriBel; 13-09-20, 07:30 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
          Does he rip it off - or pay homage to it? You could say Star Wars rips off The Searchers but I'm not sure that's how Lucas would phrase it. They used the music from Vertigo in The Artist and claimed it was homage.
          Well if we are talking Starwars then the Hidden Fortress is the main one there. The first Starwars movie is basically the Hidden Fortress in Space.

But in anwser to your point, yes I do know the difference between homage and rip off
          Last edited by BtVS fan; 13-09-20, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

Well if we are talking Starwars then the Hidden Fortress is the main one there. The first Starwars movie is basically the Hidden Fortress in Space.

But in anwser to your point, yes I do know the difference between homage and rip off
            It was a genuine question. I didn't say you didn't "know" the difference but one person's homage is another person's rip off...that's why certain cases end up in court. Goddard and Whedon were sued for copy write infringement over "Cabin" so he has previous but the case was thrown out of court.

Who wasn't influenced by Kurosawa, though according to the BBC (I think it's a Criterion essay) Lucas claimed the similarity was coincidence. Films can have a myriad of influences, some conscious, some not. There are a limited number of plots. I mentioned The Searchers because Lucas acknowledges Ford's influence.
            Last edited by TriBel; 13-09-20, 09:19 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post

It was a genuine question. I didn't say you didn't "know" the difference but one person's homage is another person's rip off...that's why certain cases end up in court. Goddard and Whedon were sued for copy write infringement over "Cabin" so he has previous but the case was thrown out of court.

Who wasn't influenced by Kurosawa, though according to the BBC (I think it's a Criterion essay) Lucas claimed the similarity was coincidence. Films can have a myriad of influences, some conscious, some not. There are a limited number of plots. I mentioned The Searchers because Lucas acknowledges Ford's influence.
              Interesting, I didn't know Joss had been to Court over Cabin . I do remember that when Firefly first came out there were lots of people saying it was similar to Farscape. Joss himself brought it up but said he apologised to Ben Browder as he never saw the show.

Lucas did an introduction to the Hidden Fortress and Kurosowa. He talks about it here
              https://youtu.be/TEJ6CzG9zVc

Comment

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                Huh, interesting. I've never thought Firefly was like Farscape. I can only see it in pretty broad ways.

Perhaps "Firefly" will be remembered as a more faithful live action adaptation of "Cowboy Bepop" than "Cowboy Bebop" will end up being. I haven't seen it, though, to be honest, but I've been hearing this comparison since it came out as a show, not just the movie.
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
                Just because they share some tropes doesn't mean that Joss ripped Cowboy Bebop off. And no Joss didn't ripoff Sailor Moon either to make Buffy.

Can I say the more I see about Sailor Moon, the more I wish I hadn't. Christ those twee/fetish outfits put me right off....

Comment

There are actual shots from outlaw star that Firefly virtually copies. Is it a rip off? I don't know. But both Cowboy Bebop & Outlaw Star donate a great deal to Firefly & Serenity, both thematically and characterwise.

The music from CB is a musical masterpiece, released on a bunch of disks. There are some echoes from the music, but mostly firefly music is its own thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X