Dollhouse Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
    Thanks for all that info TTB that's really helpful and I'm definitely going to be adding those to my wish list. I have actually seen Guardians of the Galaxy and thought it was a great film, loved Groot! Aren't they making a second of that?
    Oh yes, it will be out next year. They've just released a teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0aiMVvnvg It doesn't really reveal almost anything about the plot.
    Groot was great, my favorite part of the movie.

It sounds like you would enjoy all or most Marvel movies. Especially if you liked Iron Man 2, because that's one of the worst/weakest so far. (I consider IM2, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk as the weakest. I didn't mention The Incredible Hulk before - it was one of the first MCU movies, came out around the same time as Iron Man - because it's not good, and it has almost no bearing on other movies, they have been pretty much ignoring it, and a lot of people who watch MCU haven't even seen it. Hulk is in The Avengers, but it's a different actor.)

There's also a new MCU movie that's just coming out /about to come out - Doctor Strange, with Benedict Cumberbatch. That one is supposedt o be different because dDr Strange is about actually magic, apaprently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 20-10-16, 01:54 PM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Stoney,

Sounds really interesting - I'm a complete newbie to the show unlike most people here. I know as little about it as you. No rewatch reviews, though! Please!

Let's just talk about the episodes at set dates (about one a week sounds good) and just chat. As a brand-new viewer, I'll be experiencing it in real time for the first time and so I'll be talking blind about anything that might happen in future episodes (which will no doubt be eye-rollingly silly to those who have seen the entire show and can see how wrong my predictions are!)

I'm already intrigued by what KingofCretins, Time Travelling Bunny, Clavus and Local Max are saying about the show - so this sounds like a really fun thread to read and participate in. And I agree with KingofCretins - best to make this a free-flowing thread with a much livelier pace than the BtVS rewatch.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
        Oh yes, it will be out next year. They've just released a teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0aiMVvnvg It doesn't really reveal almost anything about the plot.
        Groot was great, my favorite part of the movie.
        Excellent! And Groot right at the end, perfect.

It sounds like you would enjoy all or most Marvel movies. Especially if you liked Iron Man 2, because that's one of the worst/weakest so far. (I consider IM2, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk as the weakest. I didn't mention The Incredible Hulk before - it was one of the first MCU movies, came out around the same time as Iron Man - because it's not good, and it has almost no bearing on other movies, they have been pretty much ignoring it, and a lot of people who watch MCU haven't even seen it. Hulk is in The Avengers, but it's a different actor.)
        I wasn't keen on Iron Man 2, preferred the first and found Gwyneth Paltrow's character and the romance side pretty dull/tedious. I'll watch 3 if it matters in the overall verse when I start watching through the others, but I wasn't going to bother before. I'll give Hulk a miss too if that doesn't have any impact. Goodness knows when I'll get around to all of these.

There's also a new MCU movie that's just coming out /about to come out - Doctor Strange, with Benedict Cumberbatch. That one is supposedt o be different because dDr Strange is about actually magic, apaprently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM
        Ooo, that looks interesting. The visual geometrics really appeal to me. It could be a bit distracting though, I'm not sure I took much away from the trailer beyond 'ooo pretty visuals' (and thus we see how details pass me by so easily, ha!).

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
        No rewatch reviews, though! Please!

Let's just talk about the episodes at set dates (about one a week sounds good) and just chat. As a brand-new viewer, I'll be experiencing it in real time for the first time and so I'll be talking blind about anything that might happen in future episodes (which will no doubt be eye-rollingly silly to those who have seen the entire show and can see how wrong my predictions are!)
        Ha definitely no reviews I think, this should just be a light chat about it and, like you, I'll no doubt be making goofy assumptions and incorrect speculations galore.

I'm already intrigued by what KingofCretins, Time Travelling Bunny, Clavus and Local Max are saying about the show - so this sounds like a really fun thread to read and participate in. And I agree with KingofCretins - best to make this a free-flowing thread with a much livelier pace than the BtVS rewatch.
        I think if we say we'll watch the first Sun/Mon (I'll make sure there is a thread awaiting), then we'll play it by ear a little. If the conversation is still full flow we might wait before moving on to the next ep, but if everyone is ready we may as well move on and see the next within the same week. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Maybe rather than assign a principal reviewer, we just post watch dates and have like a rolling, what, 3 days, 4 days discussion time? No rule says more than one person can't just make their first post their first impression and not a reply to someone else, can still also reply to what you are reading. Or assigned reviews works too, but I think that's where we're hitting the gaps, because RL stops people from getting reviews in on time and such.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

What does everyone think, should we include the unaired pilot in the watch? It's called "Echo" and Wikipedia lists it as the 0 episode of season 1. I'm not sure about its availability. I suggest we include it but only after finishing season 1. It's an excellent episode, much better than the first 5 episodes of season 1, and it would have gotten me to want to watch the show if it had been aired, the way that the actual first episode, "Ghost", did not. If I wanted to convince someone to give Dollhouse a try, I'd show them the unaired pilot. But if you are already committed to the show, you shouldn't watch it first because it spoils about half the season worth of storyline. It's not canon, but it's interesting to see what the show would have been like had it been arc-driven and faster-paced from the start.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
              Maybe rather than assign a principal reviewer, we just post watch dates and have like a rolling, what, 3 days, 4 days discussion time? No rule says more than one person can't just make their first post their first impression and not a reply to someone else, can still also reply to what you are reading. Or assigned reviews works too, but I think that's where we're hitting the gaps, because RL stops people from getting reviews in on time and such.
              Without a principal reviewer is definitely what I was thinking and for the same reason, that it will keep it flowing/light. I think it should be very casual so people can choose whether to post any of their own specific thoughts on an ep, just respond to what others write, or a combination of the two. If we keep it on a continuous flow people may not choose to post on every episode or do a catch up post for up to the current ep after a couple/few. I think it should just be pretty relaxed really (but spoiler tagged obviously).

If we started off working to a Sun/Mon watch and an end of the week Thu/Fri one too, then we can see if that works??

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
              What does everyone think, should we include the unaired pilot in the watch? It's called "Echo" and Wikipedia lists it as the 0 episode of season 1. I'm not sure about its availability. I suggest we include it but only after finishing season 1. It's an excellent episode, much better than the first 5 episodes of season 1, and it would have gotten me to want to watch the show if it had been aired, the way that the actual first episode, "Ghost", did not. If I wanted to convince someone to give Dollhouse a try, I'd show them the unaired pilot. But if you are already committed to the show, you shouldn't watch it first because it spoils about half the season worth of storyline. It's not canon, but it's interesting to see what the show would have been like had it been arc-driven and faster-paced from the start.
              I've just had a look and my DVD collection includes the unaired pilot as a special feature so I'm happy if we want to include this. I think it should definitely go at the end of S1 if it spoils aspects of the season, isn't canon and there is a chance not everyone is going to be able to access it.

Comment

"Echo" is a bonus feature on the S1 DVD set, but honestly we should watch it after finishing or not at all. Joss' own stated principle when making films is there is no director's cut; the director's cut is what went to the theatre. So too with his TV shows; the show is what got made and broadcast. It's not like "Firefly" where they just arbitrarily screwed with the broadcast order, and "The Train Job" didn't logically contradict "Serenity, Part I&II" that were basically included as flashback later. If I recall, "Echo" and "Ghost" are the pilots of almost two different shows.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

"Echo" is a bonus feature on the S1 DVD set, but honestly we should watch it after finishing or not at all. Joss' own stated principle when making films is there is no director's cut; the director's cut is what went to the theatre. So too with his TV shows; the show is what got made and broadcast. It's not like "Firefly" where they just arbitrarily screwed with the broadcast order, and "The Train Job" didn't logically contradict "Serenity, Part I&II" that were basically included as flashback later. If I recall, "Echo" and "Ghost" are the pilots of almost two different shows.
                  I certainly wouldn't agree with that. There are differences in storylines (and some of them were re-used in other season 1 episodes), but the characters are the same and the themes are the same. And it's not like Joss or anyone deemed it bad or rejected it, it's clear that it was something made to show what the show was about (and it succeeds in that), but they weren't going to show it because they were going to have the story develop more slowly over the season. If it's a bonus feature, it sure doesn't hurt to watch it, does it?

Comment

Sure, but I think the fairest "no prior knowledge" view of the series is to start with "Ghost", not "Echo".
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Sure, but I think the fairest "no prior knowledge" view of the series is to start with "Ghost", not "Echo".
                      Well, that's why I said to watch it after having seen season 1.

Comment

OK, I just wanted to confirm the episode order as I've been surprised in the past by differences between the UK and US. I'm assuming that we will include watching Echo at the end of S1 for anyone who wants to watch it too. So, the episode lists I have are as follows:

Season 1
                        - Ghost
                        - The Target
                        - Stage Fright
                        - Gray Hour
                        - True Believer
                        - Man on the Street
                        - Echoes
                        - Needs
                        - A Spy in the House of Love
                        - Haunted
                        - Briar Rose
                        - Omega
                        - Epitaph One
                        - (Echo)

Season 2
                        - Vows
                        - Instinct
                        - Belle Chose
                        - Belonging
                        - The Public Eye
                        - The Left Hand
                        - Meet Jane Doe
                        - A Love Supreme
                        - Stop-Loss
                        - The Attic
                        - Getting Closer
                        - The Hollow Men
                        - Epitaph Two: Return

I'll set up the thread for S1 tomorrow assuming noone cries out with any problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to the S1 thread, now up and ready for posts on Ghost.

Comment

Working...
                        X