Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingofCretins
    replied
    The Mandarin thing was good for a laugh at the audacity of it and Ben Kingsley just taking all the piss out of all the things, but there was definitely a "... hey!" as it settled in that the MCU had forfeited Iron Man's best villain in favor of an anonymous glowing douche. The comedy beats and uber-Pep were the bright spots. It's about on par with "The Dark World" although I liked that a little more, because it's funny was more funny and it had Loki.

"Winter Soldier" might be my favorite MCU flick to date other than "Guardians" and the first "Avengers", though.

Leave a comment:

• TimeTravellingBunny
    replied
    Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Iron Man 3 was turbl, with the Mandarin thing being only the 2nd biggest reason. Winter Soldier is the prize of Phase 2. Age of Ultron was pretty lame, the more I think about it, and about it's only worth to me right now is that it sets up "Civil War" which looks very good.
    So you mean "terrible"? It's one of my favorites, but I'm one of those who think that the Mandarin thing was awesome (and it's not the only reason why I enjoyed it.
    Thanks for proving my point that it was polarizing. Bland and safe it certainly wasn't.

Leave a comment:

• KingofCretins
    replied
    Iron Man 3 was turbl, with the Mandarin thing being only the 2nd biggest reason. Winter Soldier is the prize of Phase 2. Age of Ultron was pretty lame, the more I think about it, and about it's only worth to me right now is that it sets up "Civil War" which looks very good.

Leave a comment:

• TimeTravellingBunny
    replied
    Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    I meant to post my thoughts about this movie months ago. I thought it was very forgettable and mediocre. As much as I love comics and superheroes, I feel that over the past near decade, we've just been to over-saturated with bland Marvel movies that all have that same "safe" generic feel to them.
    Neither Iron Man III nor Captain America: Winter Soldier were bland, or safe. Winter Soldier was an excellent spy thriller that brought a game changer to the entire Marvel universe with its plot, and Iron Man III was a very polarizing movie for a bunch of things it did with its characters (the Mandarin thing, for instance, is either the worst or the best thing ever, depending on who you ask).

Leave a comment:

• Vampire in Rug
    replied
    I meant to post my thoughts about this movie months ago. I thought it was very forgettable and mediocre. As much as I love comics and superheroes, I feel that over the past near decade, we've just been to over-saturated with bland Marvel movies that all have that same "safe" generic feel to them. The first Avengers movie was a lot of fun, but I think a large part of that was the novelty of seeing all these very different heroes interacting with each other for the first time. That novelty has worn off, and I felt that Age of Ultron just wasn't a good enough movie in its own right to keep my interest.

As for the controversy with Joss Whedon deleting his twitter after being dogpiled by Social Justice Warriors and militant feminists.... it kinda goes without saying that the complaints about Tony Stark's prima noctae joke and Black Widow's "I'm a monster too" were idiotic. Every single person who was actually offended about those moments in the movie is a moron. Yet on some level, I can't help but feel that the backlash and bullying that Joss recieved was somewhat karmic. He's happy to shit all over the Jurassic World trailer and call it sexist, he's happy to hang out with professional victim and con artist Anita Sarkeesian. Kind of ironic that Anita's boyfriend was one of the first to shit on Age of Ultron for its "toxic masculinity".

I'm looking forward to Captain America: Civil War. I'd like to see the Marvel movies taken in a direction that's not so safe and generic. For the past few years they've all felt just so (and I know I keep using this word) safe. I'm hoping for a memorable villian aside from Loki. Ultron could have been an awesome villian if he wasn't written as a cringeworthy wisecracker.

Also, I want to mention Thor's hammer. In the thread for the first Avengers movie, MikeB completely dismissed the movies canon in favour of his own (what's new), and claimed that the reason the Hulk couldn't lift Mjolner in the first movie is because the Hulk just wasn't strong enough and therefore Thor must be physically way stronger than the Hulk. Nevermind that the first Thor movie clearly laid out the rules for the hammer, and how lifting the hammer is determined by inner worth, not physical strength. Mike wanted to disregard the clearly stated canon and make up his own rules to boost the strength of his favourite character. So I'm gonna list the instances in the movies where that is proven to be blatantly wrong.

In the first Avengers movie we've seen the hammer sitting on the floor of the helicarrier. The weight of the hammer didn't collapse the floor or even leave an imprint in the floor. Yet the Hulk was able to tear through to walls and presumably the floor of the helicarrier as per Loki's plan. Hulk couldn't lift the hammer, yet the hammer was not physically heavy enough to damage the floor just by its own weight. Yet the Hulk was able to do massive damage to the helicarrier.

In Thor 2, we see Thor hang his hammer on a coat hook. The hook is strong enough to support the weight of the hammer. Clearly the hammer can't weigh all that much.

In Age of Ultron, the hammer was resting on a coffee table. That's right, the coffee table is strong enough to support the hammer's weight. Who thinks the Hulk couldn't obliterate that coffee table?

Also in AOU, Captain America was able to slightly budge the hammer -because Steve Rogers is a worthy guy. In the first Thor movie, nobody in the town was strong enough to budge the hammer, surely there must be at least one guy in town heavily muscled enough to be comparable to Cap. Stan Lee's car blew its engine trying to move the hammer, Loki couldn't make it budge, Hulk couldn't make it budge, the combined strength of Iron Man and War Machine's gauntlets couldn't make it budge. Hulk, Loki, Iron Man, War Machine and a car's engine are all more powerful than Captain America, who is merely peak human. Yet Steve could make the hammer budge because of his inner worth.

Finally, the Vision was able to lift the hammer with ease. An artificial life form created by Ultron was able to lift the hammer. Tony can't create technology that is physically strong enough to lift the hammer, but apparently Ultron can?

I wonder if Mike is ready to admit that he was wrong about how the hammer works.

Leave a comment:

• buffyholic
    replied
    I love this movie, not as much as the first one, but I love it anyway. I just love how ambititous the movie is and how it makes us think about technology and its abuse. I love the new characters and I felt this movie spent a lot on humanizing them, which I love!

What do you think about it?

Leave a comment:

• Koos
    replied
    Not as good as part 1 and IMO also not as good AoS S2 finale. But great with the action, of course. The funnies where somewhat dissapointing though.

Leave a comment:

• Faith_
    replied
    Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
    Terminator remake? I haven´t heard that one.

Okay, about the trailer: let me start by saying that the first scene where they´re all together, that´s classic Joss. Second, I didn´t like the trailer very much but I remember not liking the trailer for the first Avengers and totally loving the movie.
    Another Terminator ... and he found his European accent again! That's right, her cannot run for president of the United States. Poke poke, do you know a nice retirement community in Portugal for him?

Leave a comment:

• MikeB
    replied
    * There's a backlash against Joss Whedon. It seems mostly that many didn't totally like The Avengers: Age of Ultron but most of those who didn't consider 'studio meddling' to be the reason why the movie wasn't better. And some know that Joss's preferred cut was around 3.5 hours and we may get to eventually see that cut.

I knew this movie was likely not going to be as good as the first one. There were even more characters and I heard a lot about the studio meddling. It's perhaps likely that Joss wants to do something else inside of spending years working on a movie that's only slightly actually 'his' movie.

* Regarding the strong female characters thing, I remember that Joss wanted The Wasp instead of Black Widow in the first Avengers movie. But he managed to actually make her useful to The Avengers. He managed to do the same in The Avengers: Age of Ultron .

And in Age of Ultron , given what Joss had to work with, Scarlett Witch is done well.

Leave a comment:

• KingofCretins
    replied
    I have followed the backlash -- which I find entirely irrational. It's like the whole world drank whatever taint that the "Joss is a rapist" livejournal blogger wrote some years back did. The whole rant about Tony's prima noctae crack is just asinine. It was entirely in character, and if you just apply some brain cells to it, you know Tony's mental image of that scenario is "brides around the world willingly coming to his bed, spending the night in the throws of willing passion, then returning to their husbands saying "oh honey it was horrible" while trying not to smile", and not him actually raping every newly married woman in the world. FFS people.

And the next reasonable complaint about Black Widow's depiction in either of these movies will be the first. Joss has, in both films, gone out of his way to make sure she was a major player precisely because of the lack of available female powerhouses and the importance he places on strong female characters in genre fiction... it's just not good enough, anymore. Someone tweeting to him "have you ever heard of strong female characters?" is high in the running or dumbest thing ever said on the internet.

Leave a comment:

• original spawn
    replied
    Anyone else been following this backlash against Joss? It's astounding how some of the fandom's opinion regarding him has changed overnight.

Originally posted by ChaddyMan1 View Post
    Looks pretty ****ing badass
    Spoiler:
    . After GOTG Marvel can do no wrong... well except if they don't make a Squadron Supreme movie, then I'll be righteously pissed.
    That will never happen, they're too similar to Justice League and there are many other properties that would deserve a movie first. I don't see much of a point besides trying to screw up with DC.

Leave a comment:

• buffyholic
    replied
    Terminator remake? I haven´t heard that one.

Okay, about the trailer: let me start by saying that the first scene where they´re all together, that´s classic Joss. Second, I didn´t like the trailer very much but I remember not liking the trailer for the first Avengers and totally loving the movie.

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied
    Wow! The trailer looks great and I am loving the casting (Olsen is a pretty good actress considerings her sisters) and Johnson is a good actor as well but always came across as such a douche in interviews I've read of him.

I'm more excited about this one than I did with the first. What I love about Joss is his work needs the time to bloom (Buffy took 1 and a half seasons to get really good and so did Angel) so I'm sure the second movie will be even better than the first!

But apart of me will always hope that Joss will drop marvel and push to work on that Terminator remake. I think he's perfect for that job.

Leave a comment:

• ChaddyMan1
    replied
    Popular opinion is that after Cap's shield is broken they head to Wakanda and have it repaired or remade and T'Challa is there.
    Last edited by ChaddyMan1; 25-10-14, 07:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanSlayer
    replied
    Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post

Legitimate concerns that this movie will be too crowded, character-wise, though. Between those two, and Vision, and I guess Black Panther?
    They might just name drop him like they did with Doctor Strange in Cap 2. Or mention Wakanda or vibranium to set it up for the future. Ultron could even be made out of vibranium.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X