Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicksilver to appear in both Avengers and X-Men

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=80162

So apparently FOX is legally allowed to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in their X-Men movies, and they plan to use Quicksilver in Days of Future Past. This is NOT an attempt to merge the X-Men movieverse with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Both versions of Quicksilver will be played by different actors and will be different interpretations of the character. Avengers 2 won't be able to refer to Quicksilver as a mutant, nor will they be able to mention Magneto being his father. Obviously an X-Men movie won't be able to talk about Quicksilver being on the Avengers.

I think this is going to be very confusing for the casual movie-goers. I wonder if Joss is still going to use Quicksilver after this news?

Personally, I think it's a dick move by FOX. The article makes it seem like FOX just wants to use Quicksilver for one action sequence. It's been public knowledge for a long time that Joss wants to use Quicksilver in the Avengers movie. If FOX just needs the character for one action sequence, surely they could have chosen a different mutant speedster or even just invented a new character? I feel like FOX is doing this just because they can. Obviously we'll have to wait until the movie is out before we can properly judge how Brian Singer plans to use the character, but at the moment my opinion is that FOX just wants to cut Marvel Studio's grass by using the character first. Maybe they are trying to discourage Joss from using the character?

I kind of wonder if the two versions of Quicksilver will take subtle digs at each other in the dialogue? I can imagine Joss writing something in there as a funny wink to the fans.

Ok, I didn't even know who Quicksilver was until recently so take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, if FOX plan to only use the character in one action sequence it's likely that casual viewers won't even realise they're meant to be the same character. I may be wrong but doesn't the Xmen franchise have a history of using a lot of rather 'important' comic characters in minor roles without ever fleshing them out in the film? And don't they even switch backstories with characters sometimes as well as their powers? If Quicksilver is barely even going to feature in 'Last Stand' then I doubt people will make the connection with his appearance in The Avengers.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Like I said, if it's only going to be an action sequence, they could have just as easily used a different character. And if the role is bigger than an action sequence, then I suspect that FOX only wants to use him because they know Marvel Studios is planning to. Maybe I'm judging prematurely, but I think it's a bit much that FOX announces that they can and will use the character shortly after Joss said that he plans to use him. Seems like FOX just wants to get in there first. It wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to discourage Joss from using him. And there are already some pretty big restrictions on what Joss can do with Quicksilver in regards to his origin.

Admittedly, I haven't read that much of Quicksilver but I've got a friend who has and apparently Quicksilver's comic book history has him involved more heavily with the Avengers than he was with the X-Men.

I'm also wondering if Marvel Studios will be able to use the Hand ninja clan if they do a Daredevil origin movie at some point. The Hand are going to appear as villians in the new Wolverine movie, so I wonder if MS is allowed to use them at all?

Comment

Newsarama has noted that Bryan Singer has modified his tweet.Before it said....

http://www.newsarama.com/17905-quick...ture-past.html

"Before he was an #Avenger, he was just a REALLY fast kid. Thrilled to say #EvanPeters is joining #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast as #Quicksilver,"

Now the tweet says...

"Thrilled to say #EvanPeters is joining #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast as #Quicksilver."

I wonder if this FOX's retaliation for losing the Daredevil rights back to Marvel in October?FOX asked for a extension in order to give the Joe Carnahan Daredevil reboot more time to get into production(they needed just a few more months to be in active production) but Marvel would only give it to them if FOX gave back the rights to characters like Silver Surfer and Galactus which FOX was unwilling to do.I wonder if this is FOX's way of getting payback for that.
        Last edited by BAF; 24-05-13, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X