No announcement yet.

Marvel's Agents Of SHIELD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She certainly didn't come across like someone who lived - as she claimed - in her van.

Comment

I can understand the impulse not to unpretty Chloe Bennet -- aside from possibly Lola (which lost points with the "Back to the Future" moment, especially since it didn't come with a "Back to the Future" reference), she's the prettiest thing on the show by far But I do have a qualified agreement with that point. The qualification being... if that is really who she is, the punkish quasi-anarchist. I don't know if that's true, though, because in their desire to Clever-fy every bit of dialogue, they shuffled characterization a lot. I don't buy that punkish quasi-anarchist cosplays in front of Tony's monolith of capitalism, even just one time, for instance. But they didn't commit to her being the fangirl trope either, though.

The character I see the most problems with is Ward, though. This is just not the kind of character and/or actual sort of human being that Whedon and ME have a track record of taking seriously, with the (thankful and essential to the success of "The Avengers") exception of Steve Rogers, and I'm worried that he's just going to be there to be continually deconstructed, when sometimes the alpha male action hero is what the situation will call for.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Action heroes, IMO, work better if they don't look like they were made in some factory that churns out identikit plastic-y ''hunks.'

Comment

Ward is starting out in a place where he could become, for instance, as layered and interesting as Seeley Booth, but I don't think that ME has as much interest in that sort of character as Hart Hanson does.

On the speculation that Coulson is a LMD... I think that long term, while so steeped in Marvel continuity, this too would hurt the show. It wouldn't really be him, no matter what he/it thinks, so he/it has no existential crisis other than coping with not being Coulson. It's too much "Dollhouse". Or more to the point, too much of what made "Dollhouse" not connect with audiences.

Honestly, the farther I get from seeing the first episode, the more disappointed I am. The best thing about it was Jay, and that only makes me upset that he isn't Luke Cage or T'challa.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

EW has a major spoilerish scoop about tomorrow nights episode.Big spoiler if true.

Spoiler:
            http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=109600

Does Tomorrow Night's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Feature a Surprise Guest Star?
            A key figure from the Marvel Cinematic Universe might be making an appearance

Source: EW
            September 30, 2013

The official Facebook page for ABC's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." has revealed a brief TV spot for the new television series, accompanied by an intriguing note regarding tomorrow night's second episode, titled "0-8-4."

"Be sure to stay until the end of the credits on Tuesday," the post teases. "In true Marvel fashion, you never know what might happen."

The eagle-eyed EW has pointed out that, at the end of the video, the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo is shown wearing an eyepatch, a la Nick Fury. Could the surprise be a cameo by Marvel Cinematic Universe superstar Samuel L. Jackson? It's certainly a solid theory, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow night to be sure.

"0-8-4" follows Agent Phil Coulson and the agents as they travel to Peru to investigate a mysterious object. There, they run into Comandante Camilla Reyes.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/sh...son-nick-fury/

'SHIELD' scoop: Nick Fury in episode 2?

By James Hibberd on Sep 30, 2013

Is motherf–king Samuel L. Jackson in Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D this week?

Possibly. Avengers wrangler Nick Fury might have a cameo in the closing credits of the second episode of ABC’s new hit series Tuesday night.

Here’s what we know for certain: ABC put a promo up on their Facebook page yesterday suggesting viewers stay tuned through the closing credits of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: “Don’t risk the spoilers, stay to the very end.” HINT.

Then a moment later it quickly flashed the eagle in the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo wearing an eye patch — a’ la Nick Fury. HINT-HINT.

And Clark Gregg took to Twitter and wrote:

Clark Gregg ✔ @clarkgregg

Just finished setting my dvd to record episode #2 of #agentsofSHIELD. All of it. Credits and all.

Clark Gregg ✔ @clarkgregg

Me too RT @MissingLeftSock: @Clarkgregg if there's nothing in after credits of ep 2 #AgentsOfSHIELD i hope someone whacks u upside the head

Ryan Penagos ✔ @AgentM

For tomorrow's episode of @Marvel's #AgentsofSHIELD, make sure you stay tuned until the end, proper Marvel style.

Okay, so there’s a reason to watch the credits this week. And the eagle has an eye patch. And the numbers on Hurley’s Lotto ticket are the same ones Desmond is punching into the computer in the hatch. Wait.

Co-creator Joss Whedon previously said when asked about this very topic: “We would love to have Sam in the house. If we could work it out, we’d do it in a heartbeat. He’s Sam.”

The S.H.I.E.L.D. team has also expressed some sensitivity about such stunting. They want to mine The Avengers universe, sure, but not have famous guest-star appearances overshadow the show’s core cast. So even if Jackson was making a cameo, this is exactly the type of thing Marvel would want to be coy about. It also would represent yet another extension of the studio’s strategy used in the films, where surprise post-credit scenes are common.

Sources are hinting we’re onto something here, but ABC won’t say a word. So this is unconfirmed.

So if Jackson doesn’t show up, blame ABC and Gregg. If he does show up, credit EW. Either way, check out Episode 2 tomorrow night. Because there’s a lot of winks going on — and it’s not because people are wearing eye patches.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64408

Does A Big, Beloved Marvel Movie Icon Turn Up In Tomorrow’s AGENTS OF SHIELD?? Hint: Not Tony Stark!!

Published at: Sept. 30, 2013

I am – Hercules!!

It looks like Samuel L. Jackson might reprise Phil Coulson’s boss, Nick Fury, on Tuesday’s second episode of “Agents of SHIELD”!

He’ll apparently arrive as he did in “Iron Man,” right after the closing credits.

From Entertainment Weekly:

Here’s what we know for certain: ABC put a promo up on their Facebook page yesterday suggesting viewers stay tuned through the closing credits of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: “Don’t risk the spoilers, stay to the very end.” HINT.
            Then a moment later it quickly flashed the eagle in the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo wearing an eye patch — a’ la Nick Fury. HINT-HINT.

Clark Gregg and others are dropping hints about this via twitter. Find all of EW’s story on the matter here.

Expect A Special Guest Star At The Tail End Of This Week’s Agents Of SHIELD

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/...nts-of-shield/

Comment

I thought this was a great second episode.I liked that it really had the team getting to work through their differences.Although it looks like Ward's initial concerns about Skye as well as Fury's warning,in a fun appearance,are well founded.My hunch though is as the season progesses and as Skye becomes a real part of team and they all bond,she'll have a change of heart.I think it's already started with her pausing before sending the I'm In message back.

ETA

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48210

Major Cameo Ends Latest "Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." Episode

The second episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." just finished airing on the east coast, with an ending scene featuring a cameo from a significant character in Marvel lore. SPOILERS inside.

Josh Wigler, Staff Writer

SPOILER WARNING: This article contains major spoilers for "0-8-4," the second episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

If you had your one good eye on the end of this week's episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on ABC, you were rewarded with the arrival of one of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's most important characters.

Samuel L. Jackson made his debut "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." appearance tonight, gracing the small-screen for the very first time as Nick Fury, the spy agency's director. Fury appeared at the end of the hour to reprimand the somehow-still-alive Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg), whose latest black-ops mission resulted in extreme damage to The Bus, the aircraft that houses Coulson and his team.

"Really Coulson? Six days? It only took you six days to take a piece of completely renovated state of the art machinery and turn it into scrap," Fury angrily barks at Coulson as he surveys the damage to The Bus.

"My team acted with my authority," Coulson responds with his typical cool demeanor.

"Don't talk to me about authority," Fury grunts back, words he repeats throughout the scene. He reminds Coulson that he has the authority to "downgrade [his] ass to a Winnebago."

"I want it fixed just like you found it," orders the S.H.I.E.L.D. director. "Don't have Fitz-Simmons making modifications, like a damn fish tank."

Fury gives Coulson one last warning, about the dangers of recruiting newcomer Skye, before he leaves the scene, muttering, "Talking to me about authority."

Immediately following Fury's departure, Coulson gives an order into his comm-link: "Yeah, we're going to have to kill the fish tank."

Speculation about a potential Jackson cameo heated up earlier in the week thanks to a wide variety of clues, from series lead Clark Gregg's own Twitter account to a mysterious promo on the official "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Facebook page. Given the way the Fury cameo played out, and ABC and Marvel's promise of more post-credits scenes in the episodes to come, you can count on seeing even more of Director Fury as "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." progresses.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury on "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

"The Asset," the third episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," airs 8 p.m. (7 p.m. Central) Tuesday, Oct. 8, on ABC.
              Last edited by BAF; 02-10-13, 03:29 AM.

Comment

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/10/ag...d-full-season/

'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' gets full season order

By James Hibberd on Oct 10, 2013

Coulson lives — some more!

ABC’s Tuesday night heroes are sticking around for a full season as Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is getting a full season order. ABC has picked up the back-nine episodes to round out a full traditional 22-episode season.

Arguably the most anticipated new fall show, S.H.I.E.L.D. opened as TV’s highest-rated new drama in nearly four years despite airing in a tough 8 p.m. time slot. Subsequent episodes have dropped notably from that perch, yet this week’s entry still ranked second in the hour with 7.9 million viewers and a 2.9 adults 18-49 rating.

S.H.I.E.L.D. becomes the third new fall show to get a pickup, with Fox’s Sleepy Hollow being renewed for a 13-episode second season and NBC giving The Blacklist a full season

Comment

I think the show has reason to worry, pick up or not. No superheroes + hamhandedness is two pretty dire problems. Might not actually help that they continue to namecheck the Avengers and such, because it only serves to remind the viewer that... they aren't going to show up.
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

I´m liking the show but still, something´s missing.

So far, I view the show as a guilty pleasure. And I´m gonna keep watching.

Comment

This show mostly seems a way to funnel money to the Whedon family.

Terrible uncharismatic actors -- including Clark Gregg. It's not so much about S.H.I.E.L.D. and is instead about a little group of capable people with an airplane that Agent Coulson is given for some reason.

But, it's still a good show, but like The Crazy Ones , I'll only be watching out of loyalty to the Whedonverse.

I hope that it'll get better next year when Maria Hill arrives, takes over, and the show becomes about the wider organization.

Still, this show was always a huge risk given it's about arguably the most boring part of the Marvelverse. Doing a show about S.W.O.R.D. probably would be a lot better.

Comment

I love it. I love the characters and the stories. Made of win, IMO .

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Comment

As a Joss Whedon fan and as a fan of comic books and the Marvel Cinematic Universe I *want* to like this show.

Thus far, it's done nothing for me. All the characters are generic, cardboard archetypes of characters I've seen a thousand times before. There's the experienced tough guy who doesn't play well with others. The "wacky" scientist types who speak in technobabble. The tough girl who won't be told what to do by no man. The retired character with a tragic past. The underdog coach who believes in his crappy team. None of the characters really bring anything to the table that I haven't seen before, they're all walking cliches.

Joss Whedon's whole thing USED TO BE that he subverted cliche's. Buffy is a small blonde girl who would normally be the victim in a horror movie, yet she turns around and kicks the monster's ass. Firefly was an unconventional mix of sci-fi and western. The mechanic was not only female, but a female who loved pink dresses and was allowed to enjoy sex without the show punishing her. The pilot wasn't the fearless leader, he was kind of an average Joe who liked playing with dinosaurs and was turned on (rather than intimidated) that his wife was an ass-kicker.

I'm disappointed in Agents of SHEILD because the show is filled with cliches.

I find Skye to be especially annoying. With all due respect to the actress, she comes across as a poor man's Faith. Her rebellious attitude isn't admirable or tough, it's bratty and immature. There is no reason whatsoever for Coulson to trust her so much. Since she's the designated tough "you go girl" character, I think it's safe to say that the show is never going to take her down a few pegs.

Ward is kind of a boring, generic "action guy". I think the show *could* potentially turn him into an interesting character, but probably won't. I think he's okay, but he hasn't really done anything to hold my interest yet. I fear the show might turn him into a butt-monkey character for the sake of propping the others up.

Fitz and Simmons piss me off any time they are onscreen. You know that old, tired, cliché joke where the designated "smart" character says something in technobabble and the main character responds with "in English please"? Yeah, that joke was never funny. I can't believe the writers actually resorted to that joke *twice* in an episode.

Melinda May is someone I actually find interesting. It's kind of obvious what her story is though. She was an awesome agent who went through some kind of traumatic event that made her want to retire. Some catalyst, possibly related to her original traumatic event is going to make her come out of retirement and become an ass-kicker again.

I like Coulson, but I don't think he's a developed enough character (at this point) to be the lead of a show. The mystery of how Coulson came back from the dead is really the only think keeping me mildly interested. The episode where his ex betrayed them was VERY predictable.

Comment

I'm also having a hard time getting into the show. I've been watching it but I'm just not that invested in the show and I don't care about any of the characters.

Comment

TVGuide's article on S.H.I.E.L.D.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Why-SHIE...t-1072622.aspx
                              Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
                              ~Douglas Adams

Comment

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=89411

The Events Of THOR: THE DARK WORLD To Be Felt In AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode, "The Well"

ABC have released the official synopsis for the November 19th episode of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and it confirms that Agent Coulson and his team will have to pick up the pieces of the events of Alan Taylor's Thor: The Dark World. Read on for details!

By Josh Wilding - 11/1/2013

"The Well" - In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World," Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces--one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team, on Tuesday, November 19 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons.

Guest starring Peter MacNicol as Professor Elliot Randolph, Michael Graziadei as Jakob Nystrom, Erin Way as Petra Larsen, Toby Wilson as Neils, Alex Neustaedter as Maynard and Sylvia Brindis as Elena.

"The Well" was written by Monica Owusu-Breen and directed by Jonathan Frakes.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=110932

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Plans Thor: The Dark World Crossover
                                Continuing from the events features in the November 8 release

Source: ABC
                                November 1, 2013

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is planning another major connection with the Marvel Cinematic Universe's big screen releases as ABC today reveals that the November 19 episode, "The Well," is slated to crossover with events depicted in the upcoming Thor: The Dark World. The episode's official description reads as follows:

In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World," Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces--one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team.

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons.

"The Well" is written by Monica Owusu-Breen and directed by Jonathan Frakes and guest stars for "The Well" include Peter MacNicol as Professor Elliot Randolph, Michael Graziadei as Jakob Nystrom, Erin Way as Petra Larsen, Toby Wilson as Neils, Alex Neustaedter as Maynard and Sylvia Brindis as Elena.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...the-dark-world

Agents of SHIELD Episode to Follow Events of Thor: The Dark World

What happens after The Dark World?

by Eric Goldman
                                November 1, 2013

While we may not see any of the main Avengers on Marvel Agents of SHIELD, we will indeed see how their actions continue to impact the world they exist in. As EW has noted, the description for the November 19th episode of SHIELD makes it clear that it will be directly following what occurs in Thor: The Dark World.

The network description reads, "In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces–one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team.”

The episode, called "The Well," is written by Monica Owusu-Breen (Lost, Fringe) and directed by Star Trek: The Next Generations's Jonathan Frakes. "The Well" will be airing less than two weeks after the November 8th opening of Thor: The Dark World in the US, but clearly, Marvel and ABC assume the core Marvel fans will have seen the movie by then.

Marvel have maintained their secrecy with Agents of SHIELD and been vague on how much we'd see the series tie directly into the Marvel films. It's hard not to presume that if an Agents of SHIELD episode is going to tie into Thor: The Dark World, we'll almost certainly see the show delve into what happens in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, whose story is already so SHIELD-centric.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48893

"Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" to Tie-In to "Thor: The Dark World"

The Nov. 19 episode of ABC's "Agents of SHIELD" takes place in the aftermath of "Thor: The Dark World," in theaters 11 days earlier.

Albert Ching, Senior Editor

Taking advantage of the inherent synergy between ABC series "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and the Marvel Studios feature films, the Nov. 19 episode of the TV show is set to pick up on the events of "Thor: The Dark World," in theaters on Nov. 8.

The official synopsis for the upcoming episode, titled "The Well," reads, "In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's 'Thor: The Dark World,' Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces -- one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team." It's not yet clear how deep of a connection the episode will have to the film, but it's an example of the show again tying-in directly with the broader Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Set firmly in the same continuity as the movies, the show's pilot dealt with Extremis, introduced on-screen in Iron Man 3, and second episode "0-8-4" involved the Tesseract, central to 2012's "Avengers" film. The show has received criticism for not capitalizing more on the larger Marvel world -- in an editorial titled "Why S.H.I.E.L.D. Is This Season's Biggest Disappointment" published on TV Guide this past Monday, the outlet criticized the show for being "largely devoid of the larger-than-life flash and fun of the Marvel Universe."

Guest stars for "The Well" include "Ghostbusters II" and "Ally McBeal" alum Peter MacNicol and "Alphas" cast member Erin Way. The episode is directed by Jonathan Frakes, no stranger to genre TV -- along with directing episodes of "Dollhouse," "Burn Notice," "Roswell" and more, he played Commander Riker on "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Comment

Working...
                                X