Marvel's Agents Of SHIELD [includes speculation and spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://tvline.com/2020/08/16/agents...-happy-ending/

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. EPs Reflect on Their Sousa Fake-Out, Why 'Unlikely Match' With Daisy Proved Peachy

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 16 2020

If you thought that Agent Carter alum Enver Gjokaj would only be making a glorified cameo during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s final season, that misdirect was 100-percent on purpose.

“The plan was always for him to come on for more than one [episode] but to make it feel like [just] one, so that we could surprise people,” exec producer Jeffrey Bell told TVLine at a press event for the series finale.

Because of Season 7’s time travel element, “it made sense to us to have Sousa, who is a ‘man out of time,’ coming along for the ride,” said co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen. “We get a lot of fish-out-of-water, funny, generational, tech [humor].” (To cite but one example, per co-showrunner Jed Whedon, “You get a guy who says, ‘It’s peachy’!”)

When all was said and done, Sousa not only stuck around for 10 of the farewell run’s 13 episodes, he also wound up Zephyring off into the sunset with the formidable Daisy Johnson aka Quake (played by original cast member Chloe Bennet). That happy ending was something the producers could only hope for.

“We instantly fell in love with the concept during the season of bringing him in and letting him play with us for a little bit,” Whedon recalled. “But one of the good things about TV is you can make decisions as you move.

“We were hopeful that [Daisy and Sousa] would have chemistry, and we felt like we could write Sousa into a place, and her into a place, that felt like it would be organic to them,” he continued. “Seeing them on-screen and seeing them play, we were pretty confident that it would work.”

Whedon and Tancharoen of course had worked with Gjokaj before, as writers/story editors for Fox’s Dollhouse, so they knew that he could rise to any occasion. “Enver’s great, he could do anything,” Whedon noted, “so [a Sousa/Daisy pairing] was one of those things that we had hopes for, but only when he came on did we kind of cement that idea and run with it.”

The trick was “finding the angle, because they don’t, on paper, seem compatible,” Whedon observed. “She’s always calling him a dork and just kind of laughing at him. But he’s so solid and so confident in liking strong women and all that, it just felt great. So we were happy with that.”

“They were a very unlikely match, but we knew that it would work,” said Tancharoen. Added Bell: “The chemistry was even more than we’d hoped.”

The egg in the beer, it would turn out, was the bromance that also formed in the last few episodes.

“Not only was there chemistry between Daisy and Sousa, but Sousa and Mack (Henry Simmons),” Tancharoen noted. “Those are some of my favorite scenes, specifically in Mr. Bell’s episode” — the first hour of the series finale, which Bell wrote.

“They were fun to write in [Episode] 12, putting those two together,” added Bell. “It was great.”

Comment

• https://tvline.com/2020/08/18/agents...roduced-modok/

Yep, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Was Going to Introduce Crazy-Looking M.O.D.O.K.

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 18 2020

It appears that Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was planting much more than a fun Easter egg in Season 4, when it put Anton Ivanov’s severed head inside a jar.

Based on new intel from one of the ABC series’ executive producers, it sounds like the groundwork was indeed being laid, in late Season 4, for the introduction of the highly unusual-looking Marvel villain known as M.O.D.O.K. Fans at the time speculated as much, seeing as Watchdogs leader Ivanov (played by Zach McGowan) had told Aida his LMD body was “only designed for killing” — and M.O.D.O.K. stands for Mechanized Organism Designed Only for Killing.

Fold in Ivanov’s code name (Superior, a la M.O.D.O.K. Superior), his ability to self-clone as an LMD, and his aforementioned head-in-a-glass case fate, and the dots pretty much connected themselves.

Recalling any would’ves, could’ves and should’ves as the series wrapped its seven-season run on Aug. 12, executive producer Jeffrey Bell shared with The AV Club, “I’ll say this, I don’t care: We were given the green light originally to use certain characters from Marvel, and started to break story based on those characters” — including M.O.D.O.K., he let slip amid a calculated cough — “and then they retracted it. So there were a bunch of things that were going to get a little bats–t crazy that were above our pay grade, in terms of the toys we were allowed to play with.”

Co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen, though, spun the Marvel-ous handcuffing as a plus.

“I think some of our best storylines and character development was born out of us having to pivot and scramble. That’s the fun of our jobs — and the nature of working with an entity like Marvel, where there are a slew of characters to pull from, and there are a bunch of established moving parts. And then when you place your hopes and dreams in something and then it’s not possible… you scramble. But that’s how our [original] mythology was even formed in the first place.”

Did you suspect M.O.D.O.K. was coming once Ivanov’s head landed in a “jar”? Would you have been curious to see how the show depicted his unusual form?

Comment

• I liked Ivanov because he was in one of my other favourite shows (also finishing this season) The 100. I would have liked to see his full body in more episodes haha. Admittedly I dont know much about the other Marvel characters until they appear on a poster somewhere. Anything they would have done might have been fun, but I am really happy with how the series played out, even with all the things they couldnt do.

Comment

• Agents of SHIELD Never Asked Brett Dalton To Return For Season 7

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield...t-ward-return/

Comment

• Not surprising given they only went as far as 1983. Though he was mentioned once at least. There was a rumor we might see teenage Ward in a juvenile center in 1993 but it never panned out.

Comment

• They probably just couldn't fit Ward into the story.

Comment

• Yeah there was a LOT going on and I didn't even know garett would turn up until he did! It was cool to link back to the baddies from the early seasons, but seeing jiaying again was the best returning character for me.

Comment

• https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/nic...us-1234782313/

Samuel L. Jackson to Play Nick Fury in New Marvel Disney Plus Series (EXCLUSIVE)

By Joe Otterson

Samuel L. Jackson is set to reprise the role of Nick Fury in a new Marvel series currently in development at Disney Plus, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

The exact plot details of the show are being kept under wraps, but multiple sources say Jackson is attached to star with Kyle Bradstreet attached to write and executive produce. Like all the other Marvel shows at Disney Plus, Marvel Studios will produce.

Reps for Jackson, Bradstreet, and Disney did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

Jackson famously portrayed Fury, the monocular head of the clandestine government agency S.H.I.E.L.D, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe going back to the post-credits scene in the first “Iron Man” film in 2008. He has appeared in multiple films within the MCU since, most recently portraying Fury in “Spider-Man: Far from Home,” “Avengers: Endgame,” and “Captain Marvel.” He also played the character in two episodes of the ABC series “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” SPOILER ALERT: The last time fans saw Fury was in the post-credits scene of “Far From Home,” where he was onboard a Skrull ship somewhere in deep space.

Jackson is one of the most iconic actors of modern times. He is known for his frequent collaborations with Quentin Tarantino, most notably Jackson’s Oscar nominated performance in “Pulp Fiction.” The two went on to work together on films such as “Jackie Brown,” “The Hateful Eight,” and “Django Unchained.” He has also worked with Spike Lee on multiple films, including “Do the Right Thing,” “School Daze,” “Mo’ Better Blues,” “Jungle Fever,” and “Chi-Raq.”

Jackson is also known for his roles in films like the “Star Wars” prequel trilogy, “Snakes on a Plane,” “Unbreakable” and the recent followup “Glass,” and “Coach Carter.” The Nick Fury series would mark the first regular television role of his career.

He is repped by ICM, Anonymous Content, and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Bradstreet most recently worked as a writer and executive producer on the Emmy-winning USA Network series “Mr. Robot.” His other credits include “Borgia,” “Berlin Station,” and “Copper.”

He is repped by UTA.

Should the project go to series — which seems highly likely — it would be the latest big budget Marvel show to get the greenlight at Disney Plus from Kevin Feige’s Marvel Studios. “WandaVision” is supposed to drop later this year, with “The Falcon and Winter Soldier” and “Loki” on deck for 2021. It was also recently reported that Tatiana Maslany is attached to star in the “She-Hulk” series in the works at the streamer. Other Marvel shows in the works include “Hawkeye,” “Moon Knight,” and “Ms. Marvel

It would be cool if Coulson and some of the other Agent Of Shield characters showed up but other than maaaaaaaybe Coulson,I'm not betting on it.I think Maria Hill will though.

Comment

• ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’: The Best Thing Marvel Released in 2020 Was the Show’s Final Season

https://collider.com/is-agents-of-sh...-good-netflix/

Comment

Working...
                    X