No announcement yet.

Marvel's Agents Of SHIELD [includes speculation and spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Series Finale "Farewell from Agent Coulson" Featurette (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmrWL85XSg

Comment

• Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Series Finale "Last Mission" Trailer (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeIOPv97yX8

ETA

As Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nears Its End, Series Vets Agree: Breaking Away From MCU Continuity Was Marvelous

https://tvline.com/2020/08/09/agents...e-connections/
      Last edited by BAF; 10-08-20, 01:59 AM.

Comment

• Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Series Finale "Cast Farewell" Featurette (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npna1FFfVb4

ETA

Exclusive

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Series Finale Sneak Peek: As Daisy Heads Into Battle, There's Something Sousa Must Do

https://tvline.com/2020/08/11/agents...o-daisy-sousa/

ETA 2

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Cast Says Goodbye to Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scAR3_36sCA

Last edited by BAF; 11-08-20, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Mack, Elena, Piper, LMD Davis as SHIELD. Mack as Director on the Helicarrier.

May a Coulson Academy teacher and student Flint.

Kora, Sousa and Daisy as sorta SWORD

Fitzsimmons retired family life. But Simmons occasionally helping Daisy on the side.

Coulson in Lola travelling the world to help and explore.

Deke the Director and possible rock-star in the Alternate Timeline.

Fitting endings. Except Kora maybe still don't like her. Like apparently that was a real kiss after he killed her mother? Really?

The empathy thing was kinda Care Bears vibes.

I know he was a scumbag but I kinda wanted Alternate Garret to join SHIELD.

It was bogged down a bit by all the timeline stuff but Malachi from Season 6 in the Lighthouse and the hazmat people from the end of Season 6 prove this was all a bridged time loop between the two worlds the night Izel died.

I liked the last few jokes, Simmons wanted a suit, Deke making fun of Fitz.

It didn't really feel like an ending but I'm OK with that. I'll remember the show fondly.
          Last edited by DanSlayer; 13-08-20, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Welp,after seven years,it's over.I always feel melancholy when a long running series I watch comes to an end.But I thought this was a great series finale.First,I really think they made lemonade out of the lemon of not having Iain De Caestecker around this season due to his scheduling conflict.This episode really paid off the wait for Fitz(minus the flashbacks last week).For FitzSimmons fans,you got a great happy ending.

I also liked how they connected to the recent movies by using the Quantum Realm.

I think the end to Deke's story was perfect.It's probably where he would be the most happy especially knowing that Daisy and Sousa were geting together.Speaking of,bringing Sousa onto the show was such a brilliant move.It gave a thematic resolution to the Agent Carter series IMO even it didn't resolve the cliffhanger from that show.We already got the ending for Peggy in Captain America Civil War & Avengers Endgame.We know where Jarvis and Howard Stark end up.So it was so great Agents Of Shield brought on Enver Gjokaj and was able to continue his story and conclude it here with his own happy ending.

It was also nuce that we finally got Piper and Flint back for the finale and even a LMD Davis.

I really liked the one year later time jump and seeing where everyone was.It all feels right I think.I so can see May as a teacher and Daisy with her sister and Sousa out in space working.Same with Mack and Yo-Yo.

And ofcourse Coulson.Loved the callback from the Pilot and the return of Lola.

Very happy with this episode.

Even though I doubt it will happen,I so would love to see some of these characters pop up again elsewhere especially Coulson and Daisy. in a future MCU movie like Captain Marvel 2 or Disney + series such as Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk.

https://tvline.com/2020/08/12/agents...my-instructor/

Post Mortems

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Series Finale: EPs Discuss Why Who Wound Up Where — And [Spoiler]'s Selfless Sacrifice

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 12 2020,

The following contains major spoilers from the series finale of ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Deciding on the series-ending fates of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was not a daunting task, but a fun one, says one of the Marvel drama’s showrunners.

When it came to figuring out who would end up where, doing what, and with whom in the series finale’s closing sequence, which followed a one-year time jump, “I don’t remember struggling with that too much,” co-showrunner Jed Whedon told press this week “I mean, it was fun” — in part, because the rest of that final episode was so jam-packed with timey wimey crises and solutions.

“In the first half,” Whedon noted, “it was like, ‘There’s so many moving parts to this time thing. My brain’s going to explode!’ And this was just blue sky, ‘What could it be?’ It’s just fun to think about, and so there are tons of great options.”

Simply said, when locking onto where Coulson, May, Daisy et al would end up, “We sort of tried to put everybody in a different-feeling thing and in a different place and separate them as much as possible,” Whedon said. “But I don’t remember struggling with that. I think that was more just the fun of the ending.”

As revealed during the final sequence, as each team member digitally exited their virtual, one-year-later reunion at the New York speakeasy:

MACK is still a (duster-wearing) bigwig with S.H.I.E.L.D., and is currently supervising things aboard an helicarrier. His partner YOLANDA is also a decorated S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, and returned to chasing an 0-8-4 with PIPER and an LMD DAVIS. “It’s clear that Mack and Yo-Yo are still together in a relationship and working with one another — and proud of one another,” said co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen.

FITZSIMMONS are retired with a capital-R, and left the get-together to resume a countryside picnic with Alya. “I think for a long time, we had a sense that Fitz and Simmons would be sort of out of S.H.I.E.L.D. and living the simpler life — while secretly working with Daisy on the side,” said Whedon. (Read much more on that happiest of endings.)

MAY is an (exhausted!) instructor at a S.H.I.E.L.D. academy that is named after no less than the late Agent Phil Coulson; FLINT is among her cadets. “I think it made perfect sense to us that May would be a teacher at Coulson Academy. Like, all of that just sums up her relationship with Coulson [and her as] the reluctant teacher,” said Tancharoen. “She has always been the wise teacher amongst the group, the sort of mother figure, and also to put her with Coy (Stewart, who plays Flint) at the end there and knowing that she is helping to foster the lives of all these potential agents…. That made beautiful sense to us.”

MAY is an (exhausted!) instructor at a S.H.I.E.L.D. academy that is named after no less than the late Agent Phil Coulson; FLINT is among her cadets. “I think it made perfect sense to us that May would be a teacher at Coulson Academy. Like, all of that just sums up her relationship with Coulson [and her as] the reluctant teacher,” said Tancharoen. “She has always been the wise teacher amongst the group, the sort of mother figure, and also to put her with Coy (Stewart, who plays Flint) at the end there and knowing that she is helping to foster the lives of all these potential agents…. That made beautiful sense to us.”

DAISY is still with S.H.I.E.L.D., working aboard Zephyr 3 as an “astral ambassador” (as her typewriter-loving “dork”of a partner puts it). SOUSA (whom she brought up to speed on alien life with an E.T. screening) and her sister KORA are at her side. “In terms of space, we loved that feeling — especially as our budget constraints became a concern — that it feels vast, and we wanted someone to be out exploring that,” Whedon explained. “It felt right to put her in there, in command of the Zephyr.”

COULSON is still his LMD/Chronicom hybrid self, mulling a sabbatical while having an open invitation from May to come spin some yarns for the kiddos at the Academy. Fittingly, in a callback to the ending of the ABC series’ very first episode, he has just gotten his “Lola” back (thanks to Mack, forever the mechanic), which he pilots up, up and away before things fade to black.

One agent who did not make it to back to the original timeline was Deke; instead, FitzSimmons’ oneday grandson volunteered to stay behind in the 1980s to 1) set off the gizmo needed to propel the others into the timeline-graversing quantum realm, 2) take a leadership role in that era’s S.H.I.E.L.D. and 3), you know, be the rock god that he is.

“The one thing we talked a little bit about was leaving Deke behind,” conceded EP Jeff Bell, “but having him make what was truly a big sacrifice… makes sense.” Plus, the producers love the idea of a rock star moonlighting with a spy organization (or vice versa). “If we were ever to come back for another [series], it would be that show,” Whedon quipped.

Considered all together, the S.H.I.E.L.D. EPs hope the decisions that were made resonate with longtime viewers as strongly as they did with the writers.

“Seven seasons is a long time to be working on the show, to be invested in these characters, to be living in this story as well as in the production aspect of things, and in our relationships with each other, the writers, the actors and everybody involved in the show,” Tancharoen observed. “The emotional context of saying goodbye to this experience…is definitely something that’s reflected in where we leave our characters at the end of the show. So it is very personal to us, and I do think there’s a sense of hope for what’s to come for each of them.”

And as Mack himself noted — and to drive home the theme of the show, the finale, and what the agents were ultimately fighting for — S.H.I.E.L.D. was a family.

Following the one-year time jump, “They’re already established in their new lives, but no matter, there’s still longing for what was, and I think that will always be there,” said Tancharoen. “That bond between them will always be there. So, hopefully, that sort of hits home at the end for [everyone].”

https://tvline.com/2020/08/12/agents...ding-daughter/

Post Mortems

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Stars Weigh In on Series' Final FitzSimmons Twist — Plus, the Real Reason Behind Fitz's Absence

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 12 2020,

Better late than never…?

At the close of the series’ penultimate hour, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. welcomed back Leopold Fitz, who save for a smattering of new flashbacks had been conspicuously missing throughout the final season.

On-screen, original cast member Iain De Caestecker’s absence had been explained by the fact that Fitz needed to hide from and plot against the all-knowing Chronicoms. Lady love Jemma Simmons (played by Elizabeth Henstridge) in turn was implanted with a memory inhibitor, to keep her from remembering the details of this scheme as well as one other, wee-but-huge secret — that she and Fitz had had a daughter, now age 9, during the years they and Enoch spent building a time machine and simply living.

Explaining the decision to by and large keep Fitz off-screen until the season’s final hour, “Some choices aren’t made by us” but by actors, co-showrunner Jed Whedon told reporters earlier this week. “So we did what we could, and we tried to make it rewarding with the pieces [we were given]. Sometimes it’s 3D chess.”

“To be clear,” co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen added, “Iain is an exceptionally talented actor and one of our dearest friends. It was just it was time for him to go [and] explore new things.”

Surveying the storyline ramifications, the EPs said that in addition to bringing “Simmons and [grandson] Deke closer together,” Fitz’s mysterious, disquieting absence made the eventual payoff all the more powerful.

To recap: Once Fitz resurfaced to help transport the team (and a battalion of Chronicom cruisers) back to the original timeline via the quantum realm, he helped a slightly amnesic Simmons remember all that she had forgotten. Corresponding flashbacks detailed their odyssey following (and also leading up to!) the events of the Season 6 finale, in which the team just barely fled the temple before a Chronicom laser blast leveled the place. Then, in some of the series’ final moments, we realized that FitzSimmons’ daughter, Alya, had been just out of frame in the flashbacks we had just seen.

“[T]o make the reward of him missing for so long pay off… the only way that we could think is a super-happy ending,” Whedon said. “And also, for him, he actually hadn’t missed anything. That was how we answered that in our minds, and on the show.”

What did De Caestecker and Henstridge themselves think about FitzSimmons getting the happiest of ending that the beleaguered couple so richly deserved?

“It’s a pretty fitting end,” De Caestecker told press last week. “There’s a connection with two of our showrunners, Mo and Jed, and they have a young daughter [who] was a certain type of miracle, so it’s a very fitting thing. But also for the evolution of those characters, it’s a fitting end but a beginning, of another life, as well.”

“It was a lovely ending for them, and it helped to explain why Fitz was away,” Henstridge in turn added. “It had to be something bigger than them, and for them that would be their daughter.”

Reflecting on seven seasons of flirtation, angst, near-deaths and separations, Henstridge observed, “It was so lovely to play characters that at the start were doing everything they could not to think of each other romantically, to ending with them having this daughter that they both laid their lives on the line for. As an actor, that’s just amazing.”

ETA

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Series Finale: Cast and Producers on Saying Goodbye to One of Marvel’s Wildest Rides

https://collider.com/agents-of-shiel...interview-abc/

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Showrunners Explain the Toughest (and Easiest) Choices Made for the Series Finale

https://collider.com/agents-of-shiel...ned-interview/
            Last edited by BAF; 13-08-20, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• https://tvline.com/2020/08/12/agents...r-space-sword/

Post Mortems

S.H.I.E.L.D. Series Finale Mystery: Is [Spoiler] Now an Agent of S.W.O.R.D.?

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 12 2020

The following contains spoilers from the series finale of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series finale on Wednesday left a few characters in a somewhat curious place. Could it be that they now agents of… S.W.O.R.D.?

After the team vanquished one Chronicom army with, well, kindness, and obliterated the other (as well as Nathaniel Malick) with the quake to end all quakes (and almost end Quake herself!), the series leaped forward one year, where, Coulson, Daisy et al reunited at ye olde Swordfish club. (Wait, the whatfish?)

As the former teammates caught up with each other one by one, Jemma (played by Elizabeth Henstridge) asked Daisy (Chloe Bennet) how things were going with her and The Man Out of Time, Daniel Sousa (Enver Gjokaj).

“They’re… going, yeah,” Daisy reported with a warm smile. “We’re just loving the journey together.

“He’s made for this work, he’s solid,” she added, not specifying what said work is. “But he does keep calling us the ‘Astro Ambassadors,’ so yeah… he’s a dork. But he says hi.”

When the brief gathering — which we realized was virtual, the Zoom call of Zoom calls! — ended, we saw Mack and Yo-Yo return to their respective S.H.I.E.L.D. gigs (aboard a helicarrier and chasing an 0-8-4)… FitzSimmons resume a picnic with daughter Alya… and May head off to give Flint and other cadets a lecture at the new Coulson Academy.

As for Daisy, we realized that she in actuality was aboard Zephyr 3 (!) with Sousa and her redeemed sister Kora, where they were about to marvel at on an out-of-this-world sight in deep outer space. (Daisy did joke earlier that she prepped Sousa for this gig by screening E.T., which she said made him cry like a baby.)

It is tempting to surmise that Daisy & Co. are now working for S.W.O.R.D., the Marvel comics entity that Nick Fury seemed to be starting up, alongside some Skrull, in a bonus scene from 2019’s Spider-Man: Far From Home. S.W.O.R.D. is also rumored to have some sort of presence in Disney+’s upcoming WandaVision series starring MCU vets Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany.

The Sentient World Observation and Response Department in comic book lore is described as a “counterterrorism and intelligence agency” whose “purpose is to deal with extraterrestrial threats to world security. and is the space-based counterpart of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

Some deft freeze-framing during Daisy’s final scene in the series finale, however, reveals that regular ol’ S.H.I.E.L.D. logos — no S.W.O.R.D. sword — are on the Zephyr’s seat backs and glass partitions. But maybe they just haven’t gotten around to ordering new furnishings…?

S.H.I.E.L.D. co-showrunner Jed Whedon said (joked?) at a press event this week that “yes,” he would be open to an Agents of S.W.O.R.D. follow-up — though as fellow executive producer Jeffrey Bell noted, “We tried S.W.O.R.D. early [in the series] and we were shut down.”

ETA

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels...d-fitz-simmons

Agents of SHIELD Finale: Cast Reflects on the Emotional Ending

Why did Chloe Bennet hate her last day of filming? Was Mack supposed to be dressed like Nick Fury? IGN gets answers from the SHIELD team.

By Matt Fowler
              Posted: 13 Aug 2020

Warning: The following contains spoilers about the Agents of SHIELD two-part finale...

Agents of SHIELD has ended its seventh and final season, and we had a chance to speak to the cast of the long-running Marvel series about their feelings on shutting down the saga and where all the characters wound up when the series finale's credits rolled.

At a Zoom roundtable shared with other outlets, IGN spoke to stars Clark Gregg, Chloe Bennet, Ming-Na Wen, Henry Simmons, Elizabeth Henstridge, Natalia Cordova-Buckley, Iain De Caestecker, Jeff Ward, and Enver Gjokaj, digging a little deeper into the series finale and where every member of the team ended up.

Chloe Bennet's Final Scene

Though the final episode, "What We're Fighting For," wrapped things up with the team all reuniting in a virtual world (sound familiar, 2020?) as holograms, that wasn't the final scene everyone filmed. In fact, Bennet shared how much she disliked her last day of filming.

"I hated my last day," she said. "I'm going to be completely honest. I begged for our last day to be the one where we're sitting in the chairs together. Because of scheduling reasons we couldn't do that. My last day was actually the entire Quake fight and it's really hard to shoot physical things when you're emotional because you've got the exact opposite parts of your brain lighting up. And then my last last shot was just very SHIELD, which was me on a green screen, bored, with a bald cap floating in space. Looking dumber than you can imagine."

"We'd already shot the [reunion scene] earlier on in the episode so I was kind of a wreck," Bennet added. "I was just broken open from those scenes and then to do the fights and have to lay on a green board, while bald, was pretty odd."

Daisy Johnson and Daniel Sousa

In the end, we found out that most everyone, except for Fitz (who retired), was still working for SHIELD in some capacity. But for Bennet's Daisy Johnson, her future also meant a new life with Gjokaj's Daniel Sousa. A relationship that took Bennet by surprise.

"I was a little hesitant about a love interest," Bennet explained, "because [Daisy's] narrative was really about finding herself and her family and her relationship with Coulson and the SHIELD family. This one snuck up on me as Chloe as much as it did for Daisy I think. It's one of those things where you say 'Oh, she needed this.' Not in a way like 'she needs a man' but just the way that he compliments her so well. It felt perfect as an ending for her. It took a man out of time to come in and compliment her in this way and she was completely caught off guard by it."

As for Gjokaj, joining the SHIELD squad was a dream come true. "Jed [Whedon] and Maurissa [Tancharoen] made it clear that they didn't want to reprise Sousa from the moment he left [Agent Carter]," the actor said. "They wanted to see that time had passed and that he'd continued to advance in the ranks and in his skills. They wanted to see more of a super agent."

"I got to have the best of both worlds," Gjokaj added. "I got to continue that character on the trajectory he would have gone on if Agent Carter had gone on and then -- when I collected Marvel as a kid I loved the 'What If?' comics. This felt like such an amazing 'What If?'"

Of course, not all of the show's ships wound up on a happy note. Fans of Coulson and May might be distraught over the two ending up apart. "I think the 'Philinda' fans are going to be a little bit sad about the outcome. Again," Wen laughed. "But you know what? We've seen this happen before. So don't be surprised if you see him resurrected again."

Agent of SHIELD's Finale Ending Explained

No one knew at the time when the series finale was shot (which was last summer) that virtual connecting would become the new normal in 2020. But that's how we left things on Agents of SHIELD. The actors all got to be in the same room but the characters were only there as holograms, as part of a video call, each having gone their separate ways.

"I remembering thinking 'Oh, it's so sad that they're not together,'" Cordova-Buckley said. "It's so sad that they're now connecting technologically and not in the lab discussing what they're going to do next."

Gregg likened the scene to the "Zoom nightmare-slash-reality" we all use to communicate with each other now. "So much of the show felt like life and art bled back and forth," he said. "Certainly saying goodbye to people you've been working with for years -- some for two, some for seven -- and checking in with them and knowing your lives are taking these different paths. On one hand: Thank God for technology for allowing you to do it, but also there's a real limitation to technology. That you're not there hugging. That you're not there in the way you'd like to be."

"It was a tough thing to shoot because there were moments when we were realizing it was our final scene together as a group," Wen shared. "And then it was tougher still because we'd pause and one of us would leave. It's sort of like what the last scene was in Season 5, when we didn't know if we were coming back and we thought it was the end of the series. Knowing for sure though, now, that this was the series finale made it bittersweet."

Mack and Yo-Yo
              When the roundtable topic switched to specific characters' fates, Cordova-Buckley expressed how happy she was for Mack and Yo-Yo. "We've seen them go through so much. They've sacrificed so much. They've given so much to the team. So for them to end up together but also be individuals -- like she's doing her own thing and he's in command -- it feels like the relationship has now settled for 'MackElena.'"

As for Mack, the Director of SHIELD dons a trench coat at the end that definitely feels reminiscent of another famous Director. "Quite honestly, the original get-up -- and everything underneath like the pants and everything, I don't know if it was intentional -- was very similar to Nick Fury. And the powers-that-be were like 'let's nix that because we don't want to have any overlapping. We just want Mack to be his own Director.'"

Fitz and Simmons
              For Henstridge's Simmons and De Caestecker's Fitz, the ending meant the two characters could finally find their "happily ever after."

"We've been ripped apart so many times and so many tragedies have happened, and you talk about earning moments of happiness for them, and I think they definitely earned that happy ending," Henstridge said. "And it's also nice that they still have that conflict between them where Simmons is sneakily staying in the game a little bit and he's completely checked out for a while. They have their happily ever after but they still have that classic bickering. They're not perfect."

De Caestecker mentioned how weird it felt returning to the group after being gone for so long (pretty much all of Season 7). "It was a bit bizarre," he said, "because I had a bit of time away. A huge part of that too is that [Fitz has] taken a bit of a backseat here as Simmons has gone off and done all the hard work."

But what of their grandson, Deke? Not around for the final moments of the show, Deke's exit happened earlier when he agreed to be the one to stay behind in the alternate/altered timeline. A universe where he'll either be the leader of the remnants of SHIELD...or be a huge rock star. "We've been discussing this," actor Jeff Ward joked, "and I know [Deke's fate is] a blend of the two because imagine if you found out that Bruce Springsteen was actually the head of the FBI. Like, you'd never suspect it. So Deke's using his rock star persona as the ultimate 'hiding in plain sight' tactic to be running an international superhero policing ring. And then at night doing gigs, using various songs that he's ripped off and passed off as his own."

Coulson and Daisy's Final Goodbye

Coulson and Daisy's final interaction together is a sweet and supportive one. Daisy lets LMD Phil know that he's needed out in the world, finding promising young recruits for SHIELD, while she reflects on the moment that Phil first believed in her and how she's now used that to find a bond with her sister. For Gregg and Bennet, the relationship between their characters mirrors real life as well.

"From the first interrogation scene with Skye, after we pulled her out of her van, there was just something different about Chloe Bennet," Gregg said. "And the way she has a realness and a fire to her as a performer. There are a lot of great actors to work with on that show but the through line of that relationship, that friendship, that family-type relationship...people say father/daughter, and it definitely has that in it, but I think like my relationship with Chloe it has so many permutations and it isn't that simple. Where she's helping and teaching and rescuing me as much as I'm doing that for her. For me, it was that part of the show where I grew the most as an actor and as a human."

"I don't think most people have the privilege of having this type of dynamic relationship that you can't put into any sort of box," Bennet said. "It's only something you'd get in an environment like SHIELD."

https://www.ign.com/articles/agents-...-finale-review

Agents of SHIELD: Season 7 Finale Review

Here at the end of all things

By Matt Fowler
              Updated: 13 Aug 2020

Warning: The following review contains spoilers for the Agents of SHIELD two-part series finale.

After seven seasons, and a notable full split from the MCU around the time of Avengers: Infinity War, Marvel's Agents SHIELD wrapped up its massive (and sometimes overstuffed) saga with a two-parter that was all about giving us a warm send-off for this tight-knit, ragtag family.
              Yes, surprisingly, everything smoothed out just fine for the SHIELD team, which was somewhat unexpected given the show's habit of dealing out somber tragedy on a regular basis. Of course, the ending couldn't exactly repeat the dour, but also appropriate, ending to Season 5 -- back when the writers were crafting a possible series finale because they had a strong suspicion it was the end -- where Coulson died for real. That felt like a true bookend. Continuing two seasons past that, things had to go down differently.

The fans love the characters and the cast loves each other, so there was no reason to not send us out with a big love fest. In fact, the final ten minutes or so of "What We're Fighting For" was dedicated to giving us closure and a big "where are they now?" epilogue.

Seeing the core team (absent Deke and Sousa), still intact, with no members having perished during the final showdown with the Chronicoms and Nathaniel Malick, all sitting around in a virtual reunion, it became apparent how little the rest of the season meant. That's not meant to be a dig, really, but just a way of noting that it didn't really matter, overall, who the villains were, or what the threat to the planet was. The series has been all about these characters for years now and the rest of it's just "big bad" dressing.

Of course, without this year's cross-time caper, Sousa wouldn't have gotten swept up into the mix, which has been a big boon for the show, but Fitz returned (yes, they really did save his big Deus Ex Machina moment for the finale) and basically told the team that basically everything they'd just been through (including Mack losing his parents) didn't count because he was now back from the Quantum Realm to switch them all over to the original timeline just seconds after they initially blipped out of it. Their main goal had been (unknowingly to them) to get Daisy's sister, Kora, who didn't even become a plot point until more than halfway through the season.

Nothing undercuts the adventure like having someone come in and say "it doesn't matter what you did, it only matters what we do now." That being said, this final season has still been entertaining, even if the revelation in the finale worked to undermine most of it. I guess that's the risk you run when you're dealing with time travel, resetting timelines, and temporal tinkering. It's nothing we didn't already experience to some extent back in the second half of Season 5.

Still, given all this, "The End Is at Hand" -- which featured Mack, Daisy, and Sousa rescuing Simmons and Deke -- and "What We're Fighting For" were both rollicking affairs filled with action, heart, and humor. Daisy even got to have a final Quake-tastic battle with the anti-Quake, Nathaniel, as a cool one-on-one super battle. And their fight even came with a death tease when it seemed like Daisy would actually go out swinging, sacrificing herself for the team. But she was saved, Kora blasted Sibyl's Chronicom army with empathy (sure), and the entire evil plot to conquer Earth was undone.

Though as much as these two episodes featured spirited action, as well as a fitting send-off for young John Garrett (played by Bill Paxton's son, James), the focus here, for a show that's arguably lingered on a few years after it gave us a fitting finale, was on the characters and their fates. What really mattered was the interpersonal interplay between them: Daisy and Sousa finding love; Daisy being able to redeem the sister she never knew existed; Fitz and Simmons actually getting a "happily ever after" (and not just in the end, but in a time pocket that we never even knew about - and that Simmons had made herself forget about - where they had years together and a child). Oh, and then there was Deke staying behind in the changed timeline to run SHIELD and/or be a rock god. These were the heartfelt character moments that truly fueled these final two episodes.

It was interesting to see Coulson and May not wind up with each other in the end, given the fan fervor around them, but that just plays into the whole idea of not wanting to repeat Season 5. Plus, Coulson's new life as an LMD created enough of an emotional barrier/buffer to help us detach.

Coulson, May, Mack, and Yo-Yo all still remain part of SHIELD at the end of the finale, though: Mack and Yo-Yo as the Director (with a Fury-style trench coat) and the top agent, respectively, May as an instructor, and Coulson as a recruiter (who still gets to zoom around in Lola!). Fitz is retired, Simmons is partly out, and Daisy is now part of some sort of galactic diplomatic mission (which probably also connects to SHIELD). Plus, she's found love with Sousa and family with Kora.

When a show's gone on a bit past its sell-by date, this is the type of ending you want, because those still watching SHIELD are the die-hards who've stuck with the series and probably don't care too much about its original MCU ties. That's not to say that viewers won't appreciate the occasional Easter egg or callback to when the show was tucked more snugly into in the nest of Marvel's larger movie-based narratives, but the real draw is the world the show has created for itself now. With that in mind, this was the right way to go out for all involved.

Verdict

Given that Marvel's Agents of SHIELD may only exist now for a select audience of die-hards, this two-part finale was exactly the type of send-off the show needed to deliver. It moved nicely, filled with a lot of action and special effects to close out the big crisis, but most importantly, it took enough time to touch base with each character and give us the closure we craved when all was said and done.

great

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD smartly finished things off with a sentimental finale for the fans.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series finale just made a lot of fans very happy

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/marvel...action-twitter

Agents of SHIELD Season 7 Ending Explained (& What Happens Next)

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield...ale-explained/

Agents of SHIELD Creators Had Time Travel Idea Before Endgame Released

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield...l-connections/

Agents of SHIELD’s Future: Season 8 & MCU Possibilities

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield...ry-mcu-future/

Agents of SHIELD Uses a Major MCU Tie-In to Save the Day

In the Agents of SHIELD series finale, the team turned to a frequent Marvel Cinematic Universe plot device in order to save Earth from the Chronicoms.

https://www.cbr.com/agents-shield-se...quantum-realm/

Agents of SHIELD Leans Into the Marvel Multiverse

In Agents of SHIELD's series finale, Fitz explained that the Marvel Cinematic Universe's timeline is one of many in the multiverse, then proved it.

https://www.cbr.com/agents-shield-marvel-multiverse/

Agents of SHIELD Leaves One Agent Behind for Good

On Agents of SHIELD, the team had to leave one agent behind to get back to their timeline, and the choice couldn't have been more appropriate.

https://www.cbr.com/agents-shield-deke-left-behind/

Did Agents of SHIELD Just Launch SWORD?

Agents of SHIELD's series finale sent one agent on a deep space mission, which sounded similar to the organization's space-faring arm from the comics.

https://www.cbr.com/agents-shield-series-finale-sword/

Agents of SHIELD's Ghost Rider Shares BTS Pic With Robbie Reyes' Creators

As Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ends, Ghost Rider/Robbie Reyes actor Gabriel Luna shares a photo of himself watching the show with the character's creators.

https://www.cbr.com/agents-of-shield...eyes-creators/
              Last edited by BAF; 13-08-20, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Aww that was just lovely!

Full on movie Serenity vibes for me. I loved it. The show has always been a bit cheesy and it wrapped up beautifully. I am so glad they didnt destroy my heart, but why for blonde, blue eyed child? A bit jarring having such a pale child. Jemmas performance was great. I loved that it looped back,

Quake was awesome, as usual Her family line was super cute. Im so glad so many got a happy ending.

Comment

• https://tvline.com/2020/08/13/agents...gray-hallways/

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. EPs Share One Regret: So. Many. Gray Hallways.

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 13 2020

To the very end, the Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. producers were good sports about the knocks the show has taken over its seven-season ABC run.

Heck, executive producer Jeffrey Bell, while doing press for the Aug. 12 series finale, sported an “After a Rocky Start…” T-shirt — which he said was a nod to the left-handed compliment that seemed to open even the most laudatory of the show’s reviews over the years.

During said press tour, Bell and co-showrunners Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen were asked if there was anything they wish they could have done differently. As it turned out, S.H.I.E.L.D. director Mack answered that very question in one of the series’ very final scenes, when he alluded to “all those years in hallways.”

“I wish we didn’t live in so many corridors because we had no money,” Bell shared with reporters. Tancharoen concurred, saying, “Everyone’s like, ‘Why are they back in these gray halls?‘”

To be fair, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s 13-episode farewell run had a promising start on the “gray hallways” front, by taking the cast outdoors (!) to a New York City lot dressed for the 1930s. Subsequent early episodes found the agents staking out a sun-dappled 1950s diner and engaging in fisticuffs outdoors, in the daytime.

Even OG cast member Chloe Bennet had to hail the escape from drab corridors, telling TVLine in a season preview, “You’re telling me! Every day we were literally in those hallways, and if a scene was two minutes long we were there [filming] for seven hours. It was really, really exciting for the cast and the crew to get out of the stages and get out of the gray space hallways, because it does affect your mood.”

Alas, S.H.I.E.L.D. by midseason had largely relocated its agents to nondescript, endless corridors, whether back at the subterranean Lighthouse base in the 1980s, scurrying around the oh-so-gray Zephyr, or exploring an alien cruiser in the finale.

“The great thing about being in space is you don’t have to go on location,” Bell said, “because we can’t afford to go on location.”

That said, the EP did point out to The AV Club that the aforementioned Chronicom cruiser boasted “pretty, pretty sexy corridors.”

ETA

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Series Finale "Last Table Read" Featurette (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIoV9oCUxUo
                  Last edited by BAF; 14-08-20, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Pretty good ending, but I think that Season 5's ending was a little better.

I'm still gathering my thoughts so I'll post more of my thoughts later.

I'm going to really miss this show.

I also think that I'm done with the MCU now. I always enjoyed this show more then the movie side of the MCU, and it's ending feels like a good jumping off point for me.

It's going to be interesting looking back at this show. People hated it when it started, but I think that in time it will be looked back at in a positive way. I think that it's going to leave behind a legacy. I can imagine that this show will inspire future generations of fantasy/science fiction writers
                    My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
                      Pretty good ending, but I think that Season 5's ending was a little better.

I'm still gathering my thoughts so I'll post more of my thoughts later.

I'm going to really miss this show.

I also think that I'm done with the MCU now. I always enjoyed this show more then the movie side of the MCU, and it's ending feels like a good jumping off point for me.

It's going to be interesting looking back at this show. People hated it when it started, but I think that in time it will be looked back at in a positive way. I think that it's going to leave behind a legacy. I can imagine that this show will inspire future generations of fantasy/science fiction writers

Totally agree! I liked the MCU movies for the first few (Thor really helped) but got quickly bored of them and much prefer AoS over any of the movies or other shows in the universe. I am keen to rewatch agents of shield for years to come. I think that they played out a lot of what was planned for firefly in this show and it was really underrated by the existing fanbase.

I also really loved the last few seasons. S4 onwards stepped it up a knotch and people who didnt stick with it really missed out. I hope it does gain new fans over the years as it is a timeless type, it could have a fanbase as strong as buffy in 20 years if the right people give it a go.

Comment

• .I also think that I'm done with the MCU now. I always enjoyed this show more then the movie side of the MCU
                        Dear god, seriously? All I can say is you must have been watching the wrong movies, because imo AoS can't hold a candle to the worst of them when it comes to writing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post

Dear god, seriously? All I can say is you must have been watching the wrong movies, because imo AoS can't hold a candle to the worst of them when it comes to writing.
                          Which movies would you consider better? I'd rewatch AoS a million more times before I'd sit through some of those movies again. Especially the last avengers, dr strange, guardians etc the best parts of those were the cheap laughs and Agents of Shield did that better too. The writing was extremely similar to buffy/firefly, it had scenes almost straight out of Serenity in the finale. A very Whedon-y show. I think it tops buffy for me, writing wise as well. I adore the finale even more now, a day or so later

Comment

• I'm sorry I know It matter of taste but I though AoS was purse trash. If this show hadn't been backed by Marvel it's low ratings would have meant cancelation ages ago. Imo most Marvel movies are better put together then this embarrassment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post

I've seen all of the MCU movies, and for the most part I enjoyed them, but at the same time they're popcorn movies. I kind of forget about them as soon as they're over, and I really have no desire to watch them again.
                              My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Yep, you summed up why I didn't stick with AoS too.

Comment

Working...
                                X