X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Avengers

Spoiler:
    Just saw the movie. In 3D.

Pretty good. It was entertaining. I thought he was solid with characters. It had quite a few funny lines and moments, at times a I thought that it's too much, taking away the seriousness of the story. Some jokes I also recognized from his Buffy-work. For example the shakespear joke from Tony to Thor, reminded me of the language joke from Xander/Dawn to the forest-creatures in S8. Many jokes were typical Joss-style jokes. Short pun like fun or one-liners. The dialogue is of course very good.

The nuke at the end reminded me of Justice League animations episode, with Stark taking over the role of Batman. But it suited him well.

The 3D was good too
    Last edited by Koos; 25-04-12, 11:15 PM.

I loved it. I thought the large cast was perfectly balanced with no one character dominating. I loved the script - for me, it is what makes the film so good. Black Widow and the Hulk are fantastic (as is Thor, but then, I'm biased in that department). The action and special effects are great. Can't wait to see it again

Comment

It certainly was good.
      It's even better to have seen it before most people could have, isn't it?

Comment

Agreed! It is kinda sweet. (No offence intended to our North American friends - be comforted by the fact that here is Australia we have to wait until July or August to see Cabin in the Woods)

Comment

Yeah, about Cabin in the Woods.

So much rage.

I watched The Avengers in 2D and it was pretty awesome. The biggest problem would have to be the lack of an arc for most of the characters, they're very well established but I don't feel like most of them progress at all. Especially Thor who really had the most potential in having his brother as the villain.

My favourite part of the experience was seeing a whole cinema laugh at Joss humour. Loki's 'erectile dysfunction' and Hulk's Loki smackdown killed them.

Black Widow was compeltely killer. Definitely the character that benefited the most from Joss. Her interrogation skills were brilliant .

It's awfully funny having reversed positions between America and Australia/Europe. For once they're desperately dodging spoilers while waiting for their national release .

{tumblr}
          AKA nonbeliever93

Comment

It bugs me that it wasn't released first in the U.S., despite being made by an american film company, grr. No offense to people who live in other countries, but how does that even make sense?

It seems Whedon is at his best when he's kept on a tight leash and so his skills with characterization and humor can be utilized without his weirder notions crewing things up. I'm glad to see thats what happened with this movie. And I'm very pleased to see that he didn't character assassinate Captain America. I did read however that the male normal human character, Hawkeye, got largely shortchanged. Typical Whedon.
            Last edited by PointMan; 27-04-12, 09:52 PM.
            “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't agree that Hawkeye gets shortchanged. He's got a good part that is important to the overall plot. He and Black Widow have some great scenes together and he's right in the thick of it at in the big fight scenes. What more can you ask for in a truly ensemble production?

Comment

Great movie, really fun and well balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquillity View Post
                  I don't agree that Hawkeye gets shortchanged. He's got a good part that is important to the overall plot. He and Black Widow have some great scenes together and he's right in the thick of it at in the big fight scenes. What more can you ask for in a truly ensemble production?
                  I haven't seen it myself so I'm just going by what the reviewers have said. I'll know in a week.
                  “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
                    I did read however that the male normal human character, Hawkeye, got largely shortchanged. Typical Whedon.
                    Having just, literally, stepped out of the cinema from seeing this, I have to say, Hawkweye was, by a large margin, my favorite character in this movie.

Spoiler:
                    His fight scene with Black Widow was breathtaking in its simplicity, nothing more than two humans showing how good they are at what they do, and it's just THAT good. His interactions with Black Widow in general were all great, and his place in the final fight was well-earned and hard fought.

I did love how - at the last confrontation with Loki - it was Hawkeye who had the drop on him, with his last remaining arrow, while the others had his back.

Surprisingly, it was The Hulk who came out as my second favorite character, and after having been SO critical of Mark Ruffalo's casting, I have to hang my head in shame, because he made this character his own, and he played a great part.

Not surprisingly, Stark had most of the best lines, Joss' one liners flying strong, although Thor and Captain America managed to hold their own.

There was one moment - and I won't spoil it - where I was watching, and it was just completely Joss and harked back to arguably one of the most well-liked Joss episodes of BtVS. It was a nice little moment for me.
                    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
                      I did read however that the male normal human character, Hawkeye, got largely shortchanged. Typical Whedon.
                      I too don't agree that Hawkeye gets shortchanged either. I'm not going to spoil what happened to him, so until you have seen it we can discuss this further. Though, want I fight strange is that you call him the male normal human character. I'd say that Fury is the most normal character. It's not weird that Xander identified himself with him. Also Tony is a normal human (though very rich and smart) male. I don't really consider Hawkey a normal guy. Definetly not the most normal. Actually, I think Agent Phil Coulson is the most normal guy and perhaps you could say that in a certain way he was the most important character in this movie.
                      Last edited by Koos; 28-04-12, 10:39 PM.

Comment

There was one moment - and I won't spoil it - where I was watching, and it was just completely Joss and harked back to arguably one of the most well-liked Joss episodes of BtVS. It was a nice little moment for me
                        I know of which moment you write My poor son, who I was sitting next to, got punched (playfully/excitedly) in the arm as I took a ridiculous amount of glee out of the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Koos View Post
                          I too don't agree that Hawkeye gets shortchanged either. I'm not going to spoil what happened to him, so until you have seen it we can discuss this further. Though, want I fight strange is that you call him the male normal human character. I'd say that Fury is the most normal character. It's not weird that Xander identified himself with him. Also Tony is a normal human (though very rich and smart) male. I don't really consider Hawkey a normal guy. Definetly not the most normal. Actually, I think Agent Phil Coulson is the most normal guy and perhaps you could say that in a certain way he was the most important character in this movie.
                          Nick Fury was given a version of the Super Soldier serum and as a result ages at a drastically reduced rate. At least the original Fury does, I don't know about the Ultimate version, which is what the movies are based on. Tony Stark is ridiculousy rich and brilliant and has an arsenal or powered armor suits that turn him into a one man army. Hawkeye on the other hand got to be what he is through hard work and perseverance. He's not supernaturally skilled with a bow, he just doesn't often miss what he's aiming at. And I think Xander identified himself with Fury because of 1 the eye patch and 2 because he was standing in a command center doling out orders while the team was in the field.

Like I said, I'm glad to see that the movie doesn't suck and I do think Whedon can do a good job when he's reigned in. I heard one reviewer say that this was an Avengers movie with a touch of Whedon rather than a Whedon movie with the Avengers in it. If thats true it pleases me.

Comment

Definitely don't see that Hawkeye was shortchanged. He was well written and considering how little he and Black Widow were in the previous films (that is they weren't well established in their own like the other characters) we got to know quite a bit about them and it left me really wanting them to get their own films - which I know Joss has said too.

As to a lack of development in character arcs I also disagree. Thor got perhaps the least, though we did see him begin to let go of wanting Loki redeemed. Stark got a huge leap where he went from fighting for himself to actually being willing to sacrifice himself, and caring what happened to the others. Banner went from wanting to hide to being willing to bring out the Hulk to help. Captain America settled back into life and showed just what a leader he could be of the group. There wasn't time for a huge amount of development and I don't think this film was meant to do that - it was about them coming together as a team. and they did that brilliantly. There are going to be more individual movies and their character growth will happen more obviously there.

Comment

Originally posted by Beck View Post
                              As to a lack of development in character arcs I also disagree. Thor got perhaps the least, though we did see him begin to let go of wanting Loki redeemed. Stark got a huge leap where he went from fighting for himself to actually being willing to sacrifice himself, and caring what happened to the others. Banner went from wanting to hide to being willing to bring out the Hulk to help. Captain America settled back into life and showed just what a leader he could be of the group. There wasn't time for a huge amount of development and I don't think this film was meant to do that - it was about them coming together as a team. and they did that brilliantly. There are going to be more individual movies and their character growth will happen more obviously there.
                              Funny, I don't remember saying anything about character development outside of Hawkeye.

Comment

Working...
                              X