Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Article - Things You Won’t Believe Happened Twenty Years Ago

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Article - Things You Won’t Believe Happened Twenty Years Ago

    Amusing article that references Buffy:

    Twenty-Five Things You Won’t Believe Happened Twenty Years Ago That Will Make You Feel Ancient

    https://www.thisisinsider.com/events-90s-2000s-2018-3

    Pretty amusing.

  • #2
    Google is only 20 years old! How did we exist before google?

    Some of those things feel like they only happened last year, while others do seem decades ago. Harrison Ford is still damn sexy if you ask me. I'm proud to say I've never seen Titanic and cannot believe it was so successful.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Google is only 20 years old! How did we exist before google?

      Some of those things feel like they only happened last year, while others do seem decades ago. Harrison Ford is still damn sexy if you ask me. I'm proud to say I've never seen Titanic and cannot believe it was so successful.
      Well, there was Yahoo! (that's not me using an exclamation point at the end of the sentence, that's a part of the name.)

      You didn't miss anything. I saw Titanic on home video. It was boring, too long, melodramatic and cliche.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
        Well, there was Yahoo! (that's not me using an exclamation point at the end of the sentence, that's a part of the name.)

        You didn't miss anything. I saw Titanic on home video. It was boring, too long, melodramatic and cliche.
        I didn't get a home computer till 2001, and I can't ever remember anything but Google.

        Titanic looked terrible, I couldn't understand why people like it so much, and that song was awful.

        I loved Sex And The City, never watched Seinfeld and have never heard of 'Halloweentown'

        Comment


        • #5
          Around 20~ years ago I used to pirate anime! I didn't even have an internet connection at home yet but I had an OK PC, and more importantly, I had a CD burner. My friend had a ISDN type connection so he could download all the anime all the time. It was super slow, though. I mean, an episode could take days to download and the quality was amazingly poor, ripped from Japanese TV broadcast at 320x240 resolution, sometimes half of that! Subtitles weren't perfect either (fan subs obviously, and in English - foreign language after all) but we didn't care, we were fascinated by it, it was like a window to another world. So my friend made some older (as in college kids) weebshit friends who had access to a university connection. They had the stuff! The older weebshit would come over to my friend with a bunch of zip drives (!) full of anime and they shared the goods. Then my friend would come over to me, with his entire, big-ass, beige PC tower (that was before we figured out how to just hook up his HDD to my PC) and we would nerd out, play games, watch anime and burn CD's (for other friends) all day. It was f#%$ing awesome!

          I don't watch anime anymore. I haven't really watched anime since early 00s. But when I think about it, it feels so surreal. These days, like a thousand anime shows is a click away, for free, legally, in beautiful quality, with official subtitles, dubbing and whatnot. We live in the future and it's kinda crazy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh I loved Titanic so much! Then again, I’ve had a life-long obsession with the actual Titanic disaster and will quite literally buy anything Titanic related so, there’s that.

            I was only eight years old 20 years ago, so half of this stuff I either can’t remember, or wasn’t interested in. (What 8 year old Brit follows American politics?) and I never got a computer until 2001, so I always had Google to an extent. (Although I preferred Ask Jeeves, because why not.)

            Buffy though, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I remember extremely well! I’d already devoured Philosopher’s Stone twice by the time CoS was released.

            sigpic
            ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

            Comment


            • #7
              I remember most of that (although I've never watched Seinfeld either and am pretty clueless about most American developments). I was around halfway through Uni around then and they used to caution us not to cite the internet and use it as a source because it was too unreliable. I remember first working on a mac in my second job, which was probably around 14 years ago (I've been a mac girl since) and it looked exactly like that. I don't mind Titanic even though melodramatic romance isn't my thing, but I always thought Rose let go pretty damn easily.

              We are still plagued by Furbies, one entered our house within the last five years and shouts of 'who set the damn Furbie off' aren't unusual.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                I remember most of that (although I've never watched Seinfeld either and am pretty clueless about most American developments). I was around halfway through Uni around then and they used to caution us not to cite the internet and use it as a source because it was too unreliable. I remember first working on a mac in my second job, which was probably around 14 years ago (I've been a mac girl since) and it looked exactly like that. I don't mind Titanic even though melodramatic romance isn't my thing, but I always thought Rose let go pretty damn easily.

                We are still plagued by Furbies, one entered our house within the last five years and shouts of 'who set the damn Furbie off' aren't unusual.
                If you want a good James Cameron melodramatic romance, watch Terminator. A much better movie than Titanic in general.
                You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  They're very different. I love The Terminator, far more than I like Titanic, and would never have thought of it as a melodramatic romance, but I can see why it could be considered that. I'm generally more of a horror, thriller or sci-fi gal in my film choices. I don't avoid films like Titanic and I do like a good comedy or action film, but they wouldn't be my 'go to' genres. There isn't much I wouldn't watch though, if I have the time of course.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X