Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Marvel's "Runaways" with James Marsters set to premiere on Hulu on Nov. 21, 2017.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen the first 3 episodes and quite liked them. The characters and the story are quite interesting (even though the teen characters are clearly based on stereotypes, a la Breakfast Club or The Faculty). I haven't read the comics, though I've been planning to for a while.

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
    I still think Victor is the most unpleasant out of them all. He really does seem on the edge and emotionally unhinged. He knows he's buggered things up and unless he can sort it, he will pay, probably with his life....
    Well, his character in Caprica was pretty creepy, and not just because he was a terrorist. But I agree that Victor is very unpleasant. So far he's the least sympathetic character, and that's saying something, considering what the parents are doing.

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
    * Regarding the parents, James Marsters plays the only parent (Victor Stein) in which the man is the ‘alpha’ or ‘dominant’ one: all the other parents have the woman as the ‘alpha’, ‘dominant’ one, and ‘leader’.
    Not really. At least from what was shown in the show so far, the Yorkeses have a completely equal relationship, I don't see how anyone is "dominant" there (and it's not like anyone needs to be "dominant" in a relationship). The Wilders are pretty equal, except for the inference that she was initially from a higher and more reputable social background, while he was a former gangster and convict. They disagree on things and she's more ruthless while he has reservations.

The only couples where the woman clearly has more power are Karolina's parents (because her mom is the "heir" to the grandpa, while the dad is the outsider who's not let in on what's going on with Pride), and that's the only pairing where the power imbalance is similar to that of the Steins; and the Minorus, and that's partly because she seems to have some kind of power she can use against him. She's acting like the 'alpha bitch' most of the time and he's being more withdrawn, but she's also making an attempt to reconnect and he rebuffed her. Meanwhile, Victor Stein is pretty much terrorizing his wife and son (and it's been made clear he's an abusive father).

It was easy to figure out that
    Spoiler:
    Robert was who Janet was having an affair with, since the other two men have strong relationships with their wives, and it got even more likely when he rebuffed his wife. Neither of them seems to enjoy marriages to their overbearing spouses much.

I wonder when the other kids will start showing some powers and if they all even have powers (since I haven't read the comics).

Spoiler:
    Poor Destiny. I was hoping it wouldn't end like that.

Who's that person that Leslie is trying to make better by sacrifices? Grandpa?

BTW, does the show take place in the future, or does Nico think that less than a year is a super long time? (Since she used "since Obama administration" to signify something really long time ago.)

* There is a clear leader among the ‘Runaways’
    Really? Who is it?
    In the show at least, I haven't noticed anyone being "the leader".

I don't think there even needs to be "the leader".
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Well It looks like Victor is really loosing it rather badly now, and so maybe he will be the first of the parents to get the chop?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
        Well It looks like Victor is really loosing it rather badly now, and so maybe he will be the first of the parents to get the chop?
        Frank and the Yorkeses seem to be in bigger danger.

So, I guess that weird... person is not who I thought it was. At least I seriously hope so, what with the (ewww) naked snuggling (which is already gross enough).
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Loved yesterdays episode. Great to see the JM being able to get more emotional 'action' in this although sad to hear of Victors new news.

The whole thing is still chugging along nicely imo.

Comment

I haven't read the comics but am enjoying the show so far, although I wouldn't watch it if JM were not in it. I liked that in ep 4 Victor finally shows some care and positive attention to his son. The change in that father/son dynamic is giving Victor some layers and nuances, which will mean (hopefully) the character will stay around a while.

Comment

Silver1

Victor Stein is by far the most important and most powerful member of PRIDE; I don’t see how any of the PRIDE members would dare to try to kill him. His machine simply didn’t work once.

-- Geoffrey Wilder and he are the most flesh-out members of PRIDE—all the other parents seem almost one-dimensional. Wilder himself is really only 2-dimensional. James plays the only 3-dimensional parent.

Nebula1400

* James Marsters was part of the promotion for Runaways and it seems very doubtful he’d sign onto a series as a series regular on a TV series that films in Los Angeles if it was only going to be a short-term part. James in interviews—in my opinion—seems to reason he’ll be on the series as long as the series isn’t cancelled.

Moreover, Victor Stein is the only parent who seems to be trying to do good in the world. The other parents seem only in PRIDE for selfish monetary reasons.

TimeTravellingBunny

* One of the Runaways was trying to prevent her crush friend and her blonde pretty friend from being together. One of the parents is a former gang member who seems only in PRIDE for money and power. One of the parents is the CEO of a tech company but we’ve seen zero signs she’s actually qualified for that and probably only has that position because of PRIDE. 2 of the parents are essentially hippies who only seem to have any money, power, and resources because of PRIDE.

The Runaways are all entitled spoiled ‘rich kids’ who seem to have little—if any—concern for anyone outside of the (310) area code.

Victor Stein is an a-hole to his wife and son but his wife doesn’t seem to contribute anything to PRIDE (she’s simply Victor’s wife and mother to his son), doesn’t seem to contribute anything to his business and the world, etc. Victor wants his son to get high grades and to be a force for good in the world.

Victor is trying to save Earth and the human population—I don’t see how Victor is less sympathetic than any of the other parents and I could argue he’s more sympathetic than some of the Runaways (for example, only the Asian one wanted to inform the police of their parents’ activities and even that seemed mostly because she considered their parents killed her sister).

* You’re correct regarding the power dynamics of the parents, I should have only written “Regarding the parents, James Marsters plays the only parent (Victor Stein) in which the man is the ‘alpha’ or ‘dominant’ one”.

* Teams need a leader or leaders (a single leader generally is better). Alex Wilder seems the leader of the Runaways.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post

TimeTravellingBunny

* One of the Runaways was trying to prevent her crush friend and her blonde pretty friend from being together.
                Gert wasn't trying to do anything. She just looked upset when she thought Chase and Karolina were a thing. (Just like Karolina is now obviously upset that Nico and Alex are a thing.) Not that she actually had to worry about that.

I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, anyway?

One of the parents is a former gang member who seems only in PRIDE for money and power. One of the parents is the CEO of a tech company but we’ve seen zero signs she’s actually qualified for that and probably only has that position because of PRIDE. 2 of the parents are essentially hippies who only seem to have any money, power, and resources because of PRIDE.
                What is your point?
                The Runaways are all entitled spoiled ‘rich kids’ who seem to have little—if any—concern for anyone outside of the (310) area code.
                Obviously wrong, since Alex was very concerned with saving Andre, and they all went along with it and tried to save him, and that Karolina was very worried about Destiny and wanted to save her. And what evidence do you have that the kids don't care about anyone outside of their area?

Maybe it's time to accept that the parents are all horrible people and this show's villains, while the kids aren't horrible people and are the show's heroes?

* Teams need a leader or leaders (a single leader generally is better). Alex Wilder seems the leader of the Runaways.
                No, it doesn't, and no, he's not. They're a group of friends who discuss everything they do.

Comment

Well
                  Spoiler:
                  It looks like Victors been saved

Had more of a soapy episode feel to this weeks, but as I'm enjoying seeing the parents emotionally tie themselves in knots I don't mind. If nothing else it gives wee Jimmy more screen time.

Comment

I might binge this between Christmas and New Year's, just general opinions: How is it so far?

SHIELD's started off strong this year as well though the creepy factor/best-comic tie in has to go to The Gifted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkOOk1cy9ww

Comment

Do the episodes that have aired so far stay available to view? If so, I might opt for a free trial of Hulu so I can just watch the lot within the trial period and then cancel.

Comment

I have no idea bout Hulu I'm afraid. I manage to watch these episodes through 'other' means. *g*

If you want a flavor there are a few rundowns/snippits over on Youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DanSlayer View Post
                        I might binge this between Christmas and New Year's, just general opinions: How is it so far?

SHIELD's started off strong this year as well though the creepy factor/best-comic tie in has to go to The Gifted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkOOk1cy9ww
                        It's better then some Marvel shows imo (production values alone are excellent), but it is aimed at the younger end of the market, even though the parents manage to make it more then just super powered teens sighing at each other. The original comics that came out in 2003 were praised at the time.

I've seen people moan about It's slow pace, but I have no problem with that myself.

I'm pleased that JM got this gig as It allows him to appear at the age he is, and not trying to play younger. He's very much the 'Dad' now.
                        Last edited by Silver1; 13-12-17, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                          Do the episodes that have aired so far stay available to view? If so, I might opt for a free trial of Hulu so I can just watch the lot within the trial period and then cancel.
                          They stay available to view. I plan to do the same thing once the season ends, or do the same thing as Silver1 and use 'other' means. I've heard good things about it. I read some of the comic series a few years ago. I don't remember much of what happened, but I do remember enjoying the story well enough. Hope I enjoy the series as well.

It was created by Josh Schwartz, who created The O.C. and Chuck, two series that I like a lot and thought did a good job of writing interesting characters and compelling storylines. So that's another reason I'm interested in this, in addition to James Marsters.

Originally posted by Silver1
                          Had more of a soapy episode feel to this weeks, but as I'm enjoying seeing the parents emotionally tie themselves in knots I don't mind. If nothing else it gives wee Jimmy more screen time.
                          Occasional descent into soapiness? Yep, must be a Schwartz show. I'm glad to hear the parents are getting some good material. The O.C. was mainly a teen show but it also gave its adult characters a lot to do, so I'm not surprised about Runaways apparently doing the same.
                          Last edited by Andrew S.; 13-12-17, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Side note: Disney now owns most of Fox including about 60% of Hulu now. X-Men and Fantastic Four too. A lot of MCU stuff will probably move there in a few years and away from Netflix. They've also got Spidey on lock for a Homecoming sequel though Sony is trying to build it's own franchise with Spidey characters. But as of now all Marvel characters are under 1 roof again.

The only bit I'm confused on is Disney now has The Simpsons, Family Guy etc. though Fox is keeping it's network; supposedly cutting down if not out of scripted shows in general. So...does ABC suddenly start airing The Simpsons then? Disney has full control over FX so things like Archer and Legion can continue as long as Disney lets them but with The Gifted, Brooklyn 99 etc I'm unclear.
                            Last edited by DanSlayer; 14-12-17, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Well that looks like Victors outta the picture from now on.

And lord what a violent git he's been too.

Spoiler:

Although I suspect It's not all what it seems time wise.
                              Last edited by Silver1; 19-12-17, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I've never read the comics, so I don't know the story at all but I've seen the first six episodes of the tv show and am quite enjoying it. Was happy Victor had been saved, as JM is really the only reason I am watching. It's a good show, just not really my sort of thing. I find the parents a lot more interesting and entertaining than the kids. I think you probably have to be in that age group to get the most out of the runaways

Comment

Working...
                                X