No announcement yet.

James Marsters' career since BtVS/AtS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only glanced at the blurb but it isn't accurate. His band is still going, that makes it sound like it isn't. Also, his first role was Eeyore, not Winnie the Pooh (whilst compelled to voice that correction I'm not proud that I know that. )

5M does seem somewhat low for a celeb but I don't know how realistic that is for the roles he has had over the years.
    Last edited by Stoney; 01-11-14, 10:30 AM.

Comment

That site is unreliable. I noticed some inaccuracies in other actor's profiles as well and some of the earnings seem too low. They said SMG 'only' has a net worth of $15 million which can't be accurate as she made that money just off BtVS alone. I quickly checked other sites and it seems they failed to take into account her $100,000 salary per episode for Ringer, or whatever money she was making on The Crazy Ones, or the $600,000 for The Grudge, or the combined $6.5 million from the Scooby Doo franchise, or the $500,000 for Cruel Intentions etc. Not to mention her deal with Maybelline which famously pays actresses a LOT of cash (Freddie Prince Jr once said on Howard Stern that she's probably earned more from her deal with Maybelline than she had the entire time she was working on BtVS) and any other endorsements she was a part of. She'd most likely be closer to $30 million, at least, so there numbers seem quite off.

I have no idea what kind of money James Marsters would have. I don't think he'd command much money on any films he has been apart of and I doubt he's made a lot of money off his singing. He's just not a big enough name outside of geek circles to warrant a lot of cash. Most of his worth would come from his days on BtVS and the odd TV roles he gets but I can't imagine he'd be getting heaps of money (by Hollywood standards anyway) as they're usually fairly minor roles. He's probably living off whatever cash he made on BtVS and the boost he gets from going to all the conventions that he does. I can actually see 5 million being roughly in the correct ballpark for an actor like JM.

The top earners would definitely be SMG, Ally Hannigan, David Boreanaz and Seth Green. Alyson would have made a lot of money from BtVS, How I met Your Mother and American Pie and David Boreanaz has been earning a steady paycheck for nearly 20 years now, a lot of those years as the lead of a hit series. I'd expect that Seth Green would get paid pretty decently for the movies he has appeared in, his work on Family Guy and of course Robot Chicken. He'd actually be getting paid real handsomely for Robot Chicken as he doesn't only do voice work but is also the Creator/Executive Producer of the show.

You have to be pretty careful when you're an actor/actress. I imagine that if you're not very sensible with your money then it must really be quite frightening once a hit TV show ends and you don't have another hit quickly lined up. It's probably why actors/actresses like James Marsters, Nicholas Brendan and Charisma Carpenter are such frequent shows at conventions because they're really relying on that money as steady income. They all would have made good money on BtVS/AtS but they didn't have the endorsement deals that the headliners did or the star power to star in successful movies or other hit shows soon after. I wonder how long you'd actually be able to live off the money you made on the show before things start getting a little scary. If they all bought big expensive houses when they were making decent cash then it can be difficult to maintain that kind of lifestyle once you stop getting a steady income.
      Last edited by vampmogs; 02-11-14, 01:57 AM.
      "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Poor guy, his career post buffy was hardly anything to shout about

Comment

It is kinda obvious, though, that James' career is nothing to speak of. That goes for SMG's career as well. Sure she still has that 90's Buffy glow, but her career pretty much crashed after a series of B movies and two failed TV shows. I'm sure that's why she has this new found appreciation for BtVS. That show really made her career into something legitimate and by the end of it, she completely dismissed it.

James may work steadily in odd projects but that doesn't mean his career is super valid and successful. Part of having a career in Hollywood is your star power and your ability to draw viewers. In that sense, James is not able to carry a show on his own and he's not young anymore, either, which limits his job offers tremendously. I'm sure that if he could headline a TV show, like David, he would by now almost 10 years since Ats is off the air.

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

Stoney

5M does seem somewhat low for a celeb but I don't know how realistic that is for the roles he has had over the years.
            Being famous doesn’t automatically mean one is wealthy. And income isn’t the same as net worth. People in the entertainment business have expenses such as agents, managers, attorneys, publicists, etc.

I remember that James Marsters decided not to have an agent for BtVS S7 and AtS s5 because he decided that since he wasn’t getting big movie roles, there was no good point to having an agent. I remember he negotiated his own contracts for those two Seasons.

We never actually got figures for what he made during the Buffyverse. I remember he was paid right below Alyson Hannigan during BtVS S4, that he got a salary bump during BtVS S5 and more points during BtVS S5 and after, and after the network jump that he was almost 1A to Sarah Michelle Gellar’s 1 (in terms of compensation and regard on the set). For AtS s5, David Boreanaz infamously got an enormous salary boost only because Screen Actors Guild (SAG) rules prevented James from getting a higher salary because the show was still called “Angel”.

But even after his time in the Buffyverse, James has almost certainly made millions.

James for years was almost certainly paying child support to his ex-wife. But other than his house and travelling (which is largely done for conventions and concerts he does), he doesn’t seem to have big expenses.

vampmogs

* Regarding Sarah Michelle Gellar’s money, you don’t seem to be taking into account taxes and charity.

I have no idea what kind of money James Marsters would have. I don't think he'd command much money on any films he has been apart of and I doubt he's made a lot of money off his singing.
            Again, “much money” and “a lot of money” is relative. He’s certainly made 7-figures total for his movie roles.

I can actually see 5 million being roughly in the correct ballpark for an actor like JM.
            That’d perhaps be true if James Marsters was any kind of spendthrift. I remember that James drove to Modesto in a Honda Civic to see his son. It seems he had a civil ceremony when he married his current wife. It’s very possible that James spends less money a year than he gets from investments and savings and SAG (he’d be getting a pension by now).

You have to be pretty careful when you're an actor/actress. I imagine that if you're not very sensible with your money then it must really be quite frightening once a hit TV show ends and you don't have another hit quickly lined up. It's probably why actors/actresses like James Marsters, Nicholas Brendan and Charisma Carpenter are such frequent shows at conventions because they're really relying on that money as steady income.
            Eliza Dushku is also doing conventions. Conventions are good money and it helps with one’s fan base. Regarding “steady income”, James would have been getting a SAG pension for the past few years.

I wonder how long you'd actually be able to live off the money you made on the show before things start getting a little scary. If they all bought big expensive houses when they were making decent cash then it can be difficult to maintain that kind of lifestyle once you stop getting a steady income.
            Again, James didn’t seem to have an extravagant lifestyle. James would be paying property taxes, upkeep, for his two children’s college educations, etc. You seem to be implying that James would be ‘struggling’.

.Flight.

Poor guy, his career post buffy was hardly anything to shout about
            It’s been better than most actors who played an iconic character on a TV shows for years.

Josh

It is kinda obvious, though, that James' career is nothing to speak of. That goes for SMG's career as well.
            Both those two are famous and both are multi-millionaires.

James may work steadily in odd projects but that doesn't mean his career is super valid and successful.
            Having an iconic role, being the first actor to play a live-action Brainiac, pretty much being the reason C-list and such actors do DC comics animated movies, etc. And being a multi-millionaire.

In what universe is James Marsters’s career not “super valid and successful”?

I'm sure that if he could headline a TV show, like David, he would by now almost 10 years since Ats is off the air.
            Um, it seems you have not even read through this thread and you know very little of James Marsters. If anything, it seems James didn’t want to lead a show because of simply all the work that involves.
            Last edited by MikeB; 27-12-14, 05:55 AM.

Comment

JM only has a cameo in this so it didn't feel like it should get its own thread but I thought I'd flag it up as they are looking for funding if anyone feels inclined...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...bob-joe#/story

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                It is kinda obvious, though, that James' career is nothing to speak of. That goes for SMG's career as well. Sure she still has that 90's Buffy glow, but her career pretty much crashed after a series of B movies and two failed TV shows. I'm sure that's why she has this new found appreciation for BtVS. That show really made her career into something legitimate and by the end of it, she completely dismissed it.

James may work steadily in odd projects but that doesn't mean his career is super valid and successful. Part of having a career in Hollywood is your star power and your ability to draw viewers. In that sense, James is not able to carry a show on his own and he's not young anymore, either, which limits his job offers tremendously. I'm sure that if he could headline a TV show, like David, he would by now almost 10 years since Ats is off the air.
                Imo It depends how you qualify success. In this day and age where many actors struggle to get any paid work at all, I'd say anyone who's managing to get by is successful. JM may not have his own show, but he hasn't completely dropped out of sight since leaving BTVS and has made quite a few appearances on various TV shows as well as voice work and the odd movie.

Yes, he's never going to make it big, but then the majority of actors never do.

Comment

Talking of which...a familiar face and an even more familiar accent.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and to add, a little more info on JM's new role in six.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/once-upo...ters-season-6/
                  Last edited by Silver1; 26-07-16, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Thought I'd bring post over from Tumblr, for if nothing else then to bury that spam post in the rest of the forum.

From JM's Twitter account..

Comment

I don't know the exact details, and maybe someone else may know more, but I got the sense that during Smallville, something happened to James' sister, and he was not able to relocate, because he had to raise his niece and his son. If there was a family crisis or tragedy, that could have altered his career choices.

Comment

I'm afraid I never was familiar with all the details of that one.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLKDGqGEcu4 Have Alyson Hannigan/Denisof and James Marsters ever been on a convention panel before?

Conventions can be good money and it's always been bizarre that anyone not making over 6 or even 7 figures (in US dollars or similar) a year would try to belittle people who do conventions. With ticket prices, autograph and picture signings, etc., it seems someone like James Marsters, Eliza Dushku, Alyson Hannigan, etc. can make 5-figures and perhaps even 6-figures for one or a few days' work.

Comment

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Well, his IMDb page is back to listing BtVS, P.S. I Love You , Dragonball: Evolution , and AtS, as the things he's most known for.

James Marsters seems to still be a regular on The Runaways . His
                            Spoiler:
                            not being in the last few episodes of season 1 I've always considered some kind of negotiating tactic for his compensation for season 2.

Comment

Comment

It's the wee one's birthday today.

Last edited by Silver1; 20-08-18, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X