James Marsters' career since BtVS/AtS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Marsters' career since BtVS/AtS

Some stuff in the Spuffy thread http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16163 was about James’s career and so I decided to make a new thread to discuss that stuff.

Stoney

And there I was thinking that BtVS made [James Marsters’] career.
    Well, after BtVS S2, James Marsters was already popular and he wasn’t in BtVS S3 except for one episode. James probably could have gotten something after BtVS S2 but he wanted to be back on the show. Probably a huge reason why he’s a regular in BtVS S4 is because they wanted to get him before he moved on and did something else.

vampmogs

BtVS is still pretty much the only thing [James is] known for and the only thing he's had much success with.
    That depends on what one considers “much”. It’s likely he’s made millions outside of the Buffyverse.

He's still banking on it now to keep himself afloat with his steady con appearances.
    Aside from his house, he doesn’t seem to have big expenses. By now, he’s probably getting a pension from SAG.

James is a multi-millionaire and it seems he spent about nothing on his wedding: he’s hardly merely ‘keeping afloat’.

TimeTravellingBunny

I like JM as an actor, but he just seems to be a really difficult person and always tends to say really weird things in interviews.
    I don’t remember anyone speaking of him as if he’s difficult to work with. Everyone is very complimentary about him.

What really weird things in interviews?

If he wants to figure out what ruined his career, he should take a look at himself and his choices, from keeping an agent who hasn't done that well for him, to being more interested in his (let's face it, average) rock band than his acting career, to badmouthing the writers and producers he used to work with - rather than make up odd excuses.
    James Marsters decided to do Smallville instead of doing a new series. That’s not his agent’s fault. His agent it seems has gotten him a relative lot of money for the various things James has done. James implied he got paid a bunch every time Brainiac was even mentioned in Smallville . James was in P.S. I Love You , was paid a relative lot for Dragonball: Evolution – which bombed, but could have become a franchise and James had nothing to lose by being in it.

James was offered to be a regular on Smallville after s5 and likely would have been a regular until the end of the series. However, James didn’t want to move to Vancouver. That’s not his agent or manager’s fault.

James does audiobooks, does TV, DVD, and video game voice work, occasionally guest stars in TV shows, and is the lead in Dragon Warriors , which means he still has somewhat of a movie career.

That’s extraordinarily good for a guy who rejected the opportunity to be on a big network in a new series to do Smallville and then refused to be a regular on Smallville likely being 1A to Tom Welling.

James seems to have fun with his rock band and he seems to make some money doing that. The same with the convention circuit.

James ‘bad-mouthed’ Joss only in the sense that he said Joss shouldn’t have implied Spike wasn’t that important to the success of Ats s5. What other bad-mouthing did he do?

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
    James Marsters decided to do Smallville instead of doing a new series. That’s not his agent’s fault. His agent it seems has gotten him a relative lot of money for the various things James has done. James implied he got paid a bunch every time Brainiac was even mentioned in Smallville . James was in P.S. I Love You , was paid a relative lot for Dragonball: Evolution – which bombed, but could have become a franchise and James had nothing to lose by being in it.

James was offered to be a regular on Smallville after s5 and likely would have been a regular until the end of the series. However, James didn’t want to move to Vancouver. That’s not his agent or manager’s fault.

James does audiobooks, does TV, DVD, and video game voice work, occasionally guest stars in TV shows, and is the lead in Dragon Warriors , which means he still has somewhat of a movie career.

That’s extraordinarily good for a guy who rejected the opportunity to be on a big network in a new series to do Smallville and then refused to be a regular on Smallville likely being 1A to Tom Welling.

James seems to have fun with his rock band and he seems to make some money doing that. The same with the convention circuit.
    I didn't know that about Smallville. So, he's refused regular roles on two TV shows because he doesn't want to relocate. Confirms my point that he's not really that interested in his acting career as opposed to his rock band and his lifestyle. Which is perfectly OK as a choice. I was just puzzled by the idea that he thought a plotline/scene from BtVS "ruined his career", but maybe he just meant that it made his convention experience less pleasant, as has been suggested.

James ‘bad-mouthed’ Joss only in the sense that he said Joss shouldn’t have implied Spike wasn’t that important to the success of Ats s5. What other bad-mouthing did he do?
    How about all the stuff he's said about Joss supposedly hating Spike, trying to diminish his role, being jealous of his looks, and shoving him against the wall and yelling that Spike won't take over the show, or whatever colorful nonsense Joss said according to JM in the latest iteration of the story? I remember that people found it funny and commented that his stories get more and more elaborate each time he tells them. At first it was just that Joss told him in season 2 that Spike could be killed off at any time so he shouldn't be too sure, then it progressed to Joss shoving him and yelling and what not.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 02-07-13, 12:15 PM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

TimeTravellingBunny

There isn't much to actually suggest that James' 'badmouthing' of Joss actually hurt James' career. Joss made most of the money for Dr. Horrible , there wasn't room for James in The Avengers , and it seems with SHIELD that Marvel didn't even want 'big names'. Plus, Joss still sings the praises of James.

Comment

It's often hard to piece together the truth behind the scenes from what trickles down to the public in interviews and articles, but overall I would say that James didn't make bad career choices, just that he made choices that cater more to his preferences than to what necessarily counts for success in Hollywood.

Obviously everyone has to pay the bills, and I think he's doing okay on that count, but I don't think he was ever after a textbook Hollywood career. He just got into film acting, because he once said the 80s pretty much killed regional theater as a viable option to make a living and raise a family. Even now he takes theater roles quite happily, having just done "Salome" and now planning an appearance in "Hound of the Baskervilles" in June. I almost think that his regular appearance at cons and his live band performances are part and parcel of him feeling more happy as a stage performer than a TV actor, given the choice.

If he'd been Hollywood career hungry, he'd have denied himself the hiatus after AtS going on tour with his band and instead worked the circuit of auditions and studios banking on his popularity as Spike to land his next big gig. He didn't do that and instead chose to do what he felt like, and I can respect that.

As for the badmouthing Joss thing, that's a tough one with so many rumors flying about. I don't think they were at odds during the shows with stories that James was part of the group of people that went to Joss' house to read Shakespeare and make music together. You typically don't get invited round when you're considered a pain in the ass.

On the other hand Joss does "recycle" some of his actors from series to series with Eliza Dushku becoming the lead in "Dollhouse" or Nathan Fillion reappearing as the lead in "Firefly" as just two examples. This didn't happen with James. What I believe did cause friction was Joss calling Spike the "ingenue" character of BtVS in an interview, which James said made him angry and hurt enough to call up Joss and confront him on it. Joss told him it was meant as a compliment, but when you look up the definition - a pretty, but inexperienced and clueless female character to be rescued by the hero of the story - I can see that it probably didn't feel like one to James.

Seeing that he had problems wrapping his head around the William Pratt aspect of his role in the beginning and then was starting to be fed up with being the piece of naked pretty meat in season 6 of BtVS it probably emphasized aspects of the Spike character to him that he had problems with.

I am not saying that Joss was wrong, it's actually a really clever if exaggerated comment on Spike, who is fairly immature, was extensively used for eye candy, eventually attained salvation because the heroine of the play would not give up on him and thus is another example of gender reversal in BtVS. Still after five years of sinking blood, sweat and tears into a role to be told you were nothing but the pretty girl of the play has to sting, too.
        Last edited by Clavus; 14-05-14, 03:42 PM.
        Smile, listen, agree - and then do whatever the f**k you wanted to do anyway... (Robert Downey jr.)

Comment

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Witches-...g-1083208.aspx

Buffy the Vampire Slayer alums Bianca Lawson and James Marsters have both signed on to guest-star in the second season of Lifetime's supernatural drama Witches of East End. Marsters will play Tarkoff, a family friend of Julia Ormond's Joanna who has recently come back into her life. Lawson, who also appears on MTV's Teen Wolf, will play the mysterious Eva.
          http://www.tv.com/shows/saved-by-the...-140323213137/

This show has a 7.7 rating on IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2288064/?ref_=nv_sr_1 so apparently it's not a bad show. I'll probably watch his episode.

I wonder if James simply doesn't want to be a regular on a TV series or if he simply can't be a regular at whatever price tag he would want.

__________________________________________________ ______

Anyway, I remember after AtS s5 ended that James said he planned to take a 10-year break from acting. I remember his saying that his agent said "No." to that. And then afterward instead of seeming to try to become a regular in a TV series, James keeps on taking recurring guest star roles or guest star roles.

I also wanted to say that I remember that he was going to be in the 2000 X-Men movie as Gambit and that the only reason he wasn't is because for some reason it was decided that Rogue should be a kid instead of a 20-something. That decision never made any sense to me.

Gambit at the time -- and probably still is -- is probably the most popular X-Man after Wolverine. And the Gambit/Rogue relationship was the most popular relationship of the X-Man and one of the most popular in all of Marvel comics. And instead we got some nonsense Rogue/Iceman thing.

James Marsters looks a lot like Remmy LeBeau, he's better looking than Hugh Jackman, and probably a better actor. Imagine James's career if he was Gambit in the X-Men movies. He could juggle the movies and BtVS -- Alyson Hannigan was juggling BtVS and the American Pie movies and SMG juggled BtVS and the first Scooby Doo movie.

James was also up for a part in a Star Trek movie playing a young Captain Kirk or Picard -- I forget which -- and that ended up not happening.

But, obviously, the decision to make Rogue young greatly affected James Marsters' acting career. He'd likely be around as big or bigger a star than Hugh Jackman. There would likely have been Gambit and Rogue movies.

So, he's had something in between not working for 10 years after AtS s5 ended to being an A-list or B-list star.

Comment

I think it is more than just one episode, because he blew off accompanying his band on their planned US and Europe tour for it.

Here's what's on his facebook page about it.

Holy Moly! When I got up this morning I thought I was going to spend the day restringing my guitar and packing my bags for a month long tour with my band, Ghost of the Robot starting in Philadelphia and continuing through England and Europe. The tour is the culmination of a years worth of love and work that 'Ghost' has spent recording and polishing our live sound. It was also a chance for me to experience the wide world with my son Sullivan before he starts University in the Fall...

So these were my thoughts upon waking. Then the phone rang and the Universe filled me in on the actual plan. I've been cast in a really cool recurring role for a T.V. show that I imagine a lot of you are already watching. The character is charming, dangerous, devious and sexy; It's just my cup of tea. It's also a role that's not dying straight away, so that's refreshing. What this means is that while I will be able to come to Philadelphia this weekend and meet with fans, I will have to get on a plane Saturday evening to begin filming and 'Ghost of the Robot' is going to rock out without me for a bit. I will also not be able to accompany them for their European tour this July.

This is a painful thing for me to announce, but I am comforted by the knowledge that the band is going to do just fine on this tour without me...
            While I feel sorry for the fans who may have bought tickets with the express wish to see James rather than the band, I do hope that this is an opportunity to play an interesting character who's going to see some development on the show rather than just a brief stint of guest appearances.
            Smile, listen, agree - and then do whatever the f**k you wanted to do anyway... (Robert Downey jr.)

Comment

James was also up for a part in a Star Trek movie playing a young Captain Kirk or Picard -- I forget which -- and that ended up not happening.
              Not exactly. He was supposed to play the main villain in Star Trek: Nemesis, Shinzon, Picard's young clone, who ended up being played by Tom Hardy.

Since Nemesis is an awful movie that tanked at the box office, with the critics and with Trek fans and killed the TNG film franchise, and nearly killed Hardy's career instead of being his big breakout* (even though it wasn't really his fault, the script was awful and the direction not much better), I'd say James dodged the bullet.

* People were surprised when he proved himself to be a great actor with Bronson and became a big star, but that several years (and rehabs) later.
              You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Freddie Prinze Jr. did two episodes of Witches of East End in season 1. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005327/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I wonder if Sarah Michelle Gellar/Prinze had anything to do with James Marsters getting a recurring guest starring role on that show.

Among scripted drama cable shows, it seems to consistently be Number 2 in the ratings. Maybe James being on it will give a boost to ratings.

Comment

Who knows. Tom Lenk also did three episodes in S1 I think.

Comment

I watched season 1 of Witches of East End simply to be 'caught up' for when James Marsters guest stars. It's not a great show but it's not a bad show. It's a decent way to kill some time.

Tom Lenk's role was relatively small and unimportant. He's simply a co-worker of one of the witches. Freddie Prinze Jr's role is relatively even less important. He has a needed butterfly for a spell and he has sex with one of the witches. Enver Gjokaj (from Dollhouse ) has a relatively far more important role in season 1.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this post is because I looked up James's IMDb page to see if finally there's any information on which episodes he'll be in. There isn't and there isn't on the Witches of East End IMDb page. But what more caught my attention is the 'Known For' section. BtVS is listed first, P.S. I Love You is listed second, Dragonball: Evolution is listed third, and AtS is listed 4th. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Is it possible that James is actually more known for the Dragonball movie than he is for AtS? I've never thought that his doing the Dragonball movie was a bad career choice for James. He had nothing to lose and if it was actually done well and was successful, there was tremendous upside in terms of money, fame, and career prospects. The movie wasn't hugely successful but it does seem it made its money back in overseas sales.

Side note: during a recent convention, James Marsters essentially confirmed that he sacrificed his career in order to stay in Los Angeles and raise his son and (adopted?) daughter. We know that he turned down being a regular in Smallville after season 5 because he didn't want to live in Vancouver. Given season 5 was promoted as essentially "James Marsters is special guest starring!", given how important Brainiac is to the rest of Smallville , given that Steven DeKnight was the showrunner at the time, it's clear that James would likely be paid just below Tom Welling and therefore he would have likely probably made 8-figures total for his time in Smallville . James said something about it was possible he could have been on Dexter if he was willing to move to Miami. But the actors there weren't paid that well and given James turned down Smallville money, it's unlikely he would have wanted to do Dexter even if it was considered a 'prestige' show. Much more importantly is could James have actually be a regular on Hawaii Five-O if he was willing to move to Hawaii? What about other shows? TV actors don't exactly have the luxury of refusing to move anywhere outside of Los Angeles if they want a robust career and to be regulars on TV shows. And it's expensive having to fly James first class thousands of miles.

Comment

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this post is because I looked up James's IMDb page to see if finally there's any information on which episodes he'll be in. There isn't and there isn't on the Witches of East End IMDb page. But what more caught my attention is the 'Known For' section. BtVS is listed first, P.S. I Love You is listed second, Dragonball: Evolution is listed third, and AtS is listed 4th. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
                      That would be really crazy, if people remembered him more for Dragonball than for Angel..., particularly because that was a role that had him fairly unrecognizable.

Outside of Witches James is also co-producing a movie with his wife, called Kessie Blue (the movie, not his wife). They are currently having a funding campaign on Indiegogo, and are nearly halfway at their target of $12,000 https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kessi-blue

I believe Jasmin will also be in it, though the lead is Taylor Reese.

Comment

Update: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Now the IMDb list goes BtVS, P.S. I Love You , AtS, and Superman Doomsday . I’m not sure how these lists are generated.

Witches of East End still doesn’t list James Marsters as one of the cast members and that show isn’t on James’ IMDb page. It’s very odd since it’s already known that James is going to be in that show. Maybe his episodes haven’t been filmed yet?

I find it a little odd that James Marsters asks money for his independent movies. He doesn’t have $12K to support his wife’s career?

Comment

I find it a little odd that James Marsters asks money for his independent movies. He doesn’t have $12K to support his wife’s career?
                          I suspect that it is in good part about using new social media to promote work and to gain public support in furthering promotion/spreading the word etc.

Comment

Witches of East End still doesn’t list James Marsters as one of the cast members and that show isn’t on James’ IMDb page. It’s very odd since it’s already known that James is going to be in that show. Maybe his episodes haven’t been filmed yet?
                            James Marsters just appeared on the latest episode! Season 2 Episode 7
                            sigpic

Comment

James Marsters had a meaty and important role in Witches of East End and his character is still alive and can come back.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ers-net-worth/

I don't know how accurate this website is and it doesn't even list where that $5MM figure comes from and there's nothing regarding his earnings.

Of note: I remember that James Marsters had already divorced his first wife before he even began work on BtVS. But he would have likely been paying hefty child support to his ex-wife.

He doesn't seem to have an expensive lifestyle: I remember that he pretty much had a civil ceremony for his wedding to his current wife. So, unless he actually didn't make much from BtVS, AtS, Smallville, Dragonball, etc., that $5MM figure seems pretty low.

Comment

Working...
                              X