Who Did Gunn Love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Did Gunn Love?

Same concept as the last threads. Check off who you think Gunn loved.
    Angel
    5.36%
    Cordelia
    7.14%
    Fred
    28.57%
    Wesley
    7.14%
    Anne
    3.57%
    Alonna
    23.21%
    Lorne
    1.79%
    Connor
    0.00%
    Spike
    1.79%
    Gunn's Mother
    10.71%
    Gunn's Father
    10.71%

Maybe you should have included Rondell.

I would not be surprised if Gunn loved his parents -- but I feel like I have no way of knowing at all. Certainly his parents were totally out of the picture by the time we meet him. I don't know AtS well enough to know when Gunn mentioned them.

Comment

I have moved this and all the 'who did x love' threads into the General Chats section so discussions can span both shows.

Comment

I voted for Alonna. It sounded like they grew up together without any parents and they really stuck together. He had a really hard time with her death and had nightmares about it, so I think he did love his sister. I don't remember ever hearing anything about Gunn parents so they probably either died when he was really young or took off.

I also went with Fred, who was the most obvious answer for me.

Comment

I voted Alonna, Fred and Anne. I'm quite surprised that Alonna didn't get 100%, he cared about her very deeply.

I think that the Gunn/Fred relationship and the aftermath is one of the most adult and realistic relationships in the Buffyverse. Gunn loved her with his whole heart, and while she cared about him deeply too -other stuff got in the way and ultimately they didn't have much in common. They dated, then broke up and while it was still painful at first, they were able to remain friends. I wasn't en epic, drama filled relationship that called attention to itself like some of the main 'ships and that's what I like about it. I like that Gunn is able to stay friends with both Wesley and Fred in the end and even be happy for them. Because it's real and adult, unlike (what I consider) the endless pissing contests between Angel/Buffy, Spike/Buffy, Riley/Buffy. I really liked the way Angel and Groo interacted even though they loved the same girl, and the way that Gunn was able to get past his jealousy over Fred and be happy for Wesley and Fred being together. That's how adults should be able to act and it's refreshingly opposite of everything I despise about traditional shipping.

I also voted for Anne. Gunn cares about her a great deal and has a great deal of respect for her because she's "fighting the good fight" in her own way. And she has had a similar crappy upbringing to Gunn and cares for teenagers who have had rough upbringings.

Spoiler:
          In the IDW comics, Anne has a baby and Gunn seems to be great with the baby. I think it was implied that Gunn and Anne might even start dating. Unfortunately, that happens right at the end of the IDW run and probably won't be something that gets explored by Dark Horse.

I don't think Gunn ever especially cared for Spike. He was part of the team, sure, but Gunn found him to be pretty annyoing. Plus, Gunn doesn't like vampires.

I think that while Gunn and Angel have a great deal of respect for each other, I don't know if I'd call it "love." I don't think that Gunn is ever going to be completely comfortable with Angel being a vampire, and I think part of the reason Angel trusts Gunn the most to be the one to take him down if he turns bad is that he knows that if the moment came, Gunn would be the one most emotionally capable of doing it. I think to an extent, Gunn may even feel a little overshadowed by Angel, much like how Xander feels towards Buffy and some of the scoobies. This is something I'd love to see explored more in the Angel and Gunn dynamic.

I think that while Gunn is close buddies with Wesley, again I'd hesitate to use the word "love." I think that while they do care about each other a great deal, there will always be a little bit of resentment between them because of their differences.

Comment

Working...
          X