Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When were the characters their most attractive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When were the characters their most attractive?

Hey

Ok, time to be shallow folks! The idea behind the thread is to basically discuss when the actors were at their most attractive and why! Is there a particular season where you think Buffy is even more beautiful than usual? A certain batch of episodes where Xander looks mighty fine? Does Willow rock the shorter or longer hair? Perhaps Angel look best with a little weight on him? Is Giles a sexy fuddy-duddy in his tweed attire or do you prefer Ripper in Band Candy? Cordy and Anya changed their hair more times than I can count, which style was the best? etc.

Now, lets try and keep it respectful to the actors/actresses who played these parts as certainly none of them are hard to look at. So no really horrible comments! And feel free to use pictures and GIFs to help explain your point but remember this is a discussion forum so words help too

Just a bit of fun if anybody is interested!

I'll go first;

I always thought Buffy looked especially great in S1.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is really gorgeous this season. I kind of love the big dated 90's hair and she still has a fuller face and figure which I think suits her really well. Episodes which she looks particularly great/sexy in are Angel, Out of Mind, Out of Sight and Prophecy Girl.

I also thought Buffy was looking really good in early S5. In particular episodes like The Replacement, Out of My Mind and No Place Like Home which, to be quite honest, I always get a little distracted watching her.

Top 3 Buffy seasons;

- BtVS S1
    - BtVS S5
    - BtVS S2

I think Angel also never looked better than in BtVS S1 with Angel being the pinnacle of his attractiveness;

He's actually really skinny this season but I think it suits him well and he looks better in the short leather jacket and/or blazer, skinny jeans and white t-shirt. Also, a shorter haircut works better on him (at least when he's this slim) as he doesn't have the big forehead problem of AtS S1. IMO, S1-Era Angel is the most attractive guy in the show.

He also looks great during the flashbacks in Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been.

Top 3 Angel seasons;

- BtVS S1
    - BtVS S2
    - AtS S4

I think Willow looks particularly beautiful in early S4 when she first gets her haircut and is wearing great clothes;

The haircut is sexier than her really long hair or bob and I love her style in these episodes when it's a slightly more mature version of her S3 attire but not hippie-ish as it leans towards later into the season. She just looks so fresh and beautiful in these episodes and they always standout to me as particularly great for her.

I also think she looks really lovely in Conversations With Dead People.

Top 3 Willow seasons;

- S4
    - S7
    - S5

Xander's best period in the show was early S2 or the latter half of S3/Early S4.

In particular, he looks really good in When She Was Bad where I think his hair is the right length and the lighting (and I don't mean this in a nasty way) really does him a lot of favours. It also looks like he picked up a bit of a tan over the Summer.

He also carries the extra weight well in the early episodes of S6, especially Afterlife and Flooded.

Top 3 Xander seasons;

- BtVS S3
    - BtVS S2
    - BtVS S4

Ok, that's me for now so others are free to have a go if they like
    Last edited by vampmogs; 26-01-13, 09:53 AM.
    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

I don't have gifs and pictures. (because I'm lazy, and I agree with quite a lot of Mogs' choices.)

Buffy:

Season 1 is also my favorite, I liked the slightly darker hair and the length of it. She was also slightly fuller which I find much better looking on her. Also her clothes, she still dressed really youthfull, I noticed recently (now I'm the age Buffy had in season 7) that she started dressing quite mature quite early on.
    Season 3 is another of my favorites, because she has a lot of nice clothes in it and I liked the length of her hair. It's also still youthfull and practical. The only big problem with her style in season 3 was the fringe she had in Amends, who ever thought that was a great idea?

Angel

My main problem with Angel is his coat, he looks better in the shorter ones but he wears that medium long leather coat in all Ats seasons, and it makes him look too much like a walking square. Worse is that he wears another coat sometimes (somewhere in Ats season 3 he wears a very nice short one), so he has other coats, which he refuses to wear in more than one episode. (Well the ladies of the costume department do.)

I would say that I think that DB looked best in BtVS season 2-Ats season 2. With as highlights Innocence (despite the guyliner of doom) and Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been.

And since I recently reblogged it, picture!

(by sunnydaled@TUMBLR)

I do agree with Mogs that BtVS season 1 wasn't a bad look for Angel (no long coats!) but I prefer him slightly more beefed up.

Cordelia

By far my favorite season for Cordelia is Ats season 1, she was really dressed up in BTVS and I'm not a big fan of the shorter haircuts, especially the blond ones. Ats season 1 was the time where Cordy looked cute and younger than in BtVS. The shorter hair in the later seasons had potential, and it looked great in some episodes, but mostly it looked too old for somebody who was meant to be 19 years old. She continued to dress cute until season 3 though. She also looked good in You're Welcome.

Wesley

Wesley looked best when he was in his worst phase; Ats season 4. The scruff, no longer the really boring glasses and he finally wore clothes that did fit.

Concerning Willow and Xander, I fully agree with Mogs. With the exception that season 4 was by far the best season for Willow, I wouldn't really rank the other seasons. She should always look like she did in season 4.

I feel bad, but I don't really have a best season for Giles. I noticed him dressing more casual later on, but I don't really prefer the one over the other.

Gunn and Fred

Both looked really good in season 5, Gunn always looks good (minus season 4.... die goatee, die!) but he looked extremely good in the suit. And it was nice seeing him with hair. Fred finally dressed her age in season 5 and looked extremely pretty, also her hair. Sometimes it was a tad flat in the past seasons, but now it always looked good.

Spike

I think he looked best in season 2. He really had the face to fit his bad boy image/look and when he started to age, the look became less appealing to me. But he looked good in the early seasons.

And a last short addition;

Darla looked extremely beautiful in "The Trial". The make up, the hair and the clothes. Especially the scene where she sings for Lorne.
    Last edited by Nina; 26-01-13, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Spike looked great but a bit too boyish in season 2. I think he looked the best in seasons 4 and particularly 5 and 6. His face noticeably aged between seasons 6 and 7, and while he still looked good, his facial features were not as pronounced.

Angel looked best in the episode Are You Now or Have You Ever Been, with a 50s hairstyle, and The Ring (wearing that wifebeater certainly helped). The simmering moodiness in those episodes made him more sexy, too. He may have technically looked better on BtVS since he was slimmer so his facial features looked more conventionally handsome, but he wore dreadful "pale face" makeup a lot of the time, and he also seemed more charismatic and sexier on AtS, not to much in season 1 but in season 2-4. He looked worst in season 5 - we all know the reasons for the weight gain, but his clothes and hair were also awful, right up till about You're Welcome. I suppose they wanted to make Angel look as bad as he felt.

I'm surprised when I rewatch the early seasons to see just how good Xander looked. (And nothing like a 16-year old boy, LOL.)

Cordelia looked best on BtVS. On AtS, she looked good in the first couple of seasons, but I didn't like the artificial tanning. Later on, bad hair styles and dying her hair blondish were really bad ideas.

Darla looked beautiful in The Trial, but she generally looked great on AtS, especially in season 2 - much better than on BtVS. Although her appearance in 18th century clothes first showed how gorgeous she can look. The schoolgirl look in season 1 did her no favors.

I'm in two minds about Buffy. She looked lovely in season 1, and that was when she also looked much healthier and curvier than ever later. But her face and her hair looked most beautiful in seasons 5-7. Well, in season 6 she cut her hair, but when she had longer hair.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Oooh, shallowness! Apparently, vampmogs and I see appearance-type stuff with near-identical eyes because I share almost all of his opinions so far.

Buffy looked her best in S1 with some weight on her, which she carried perfectly with a softer face and fabulous breasts. I agree with vampmogs that her S1 hairstyle really suited her. I like most of her clothes that season. Other than S1, she looks particularly beautiful in her dream in Restless, particularly in the desert.

Her top three seasons are
        S1
        A tie between S4 generally and the first half of S2 because Buffy's hair was great in early S2 but it started to look kinda fried and odd after Ted and didn't start to look good again until Becoming

I agree with vampmogs that Angel looked best in S1. Unlike SMG, DB looks better thin than with bulk. However, Angel also looked wonderful as BtVS Angelus (and I LIKE the eyeliner damnit!) and wore the leather pants wonderfully. However, I'm not nearly as crazy about AtS S4 Angelus. Too bulky.

His top seasons are:
        BtVS S1
        BtVS S2
        AtS S2

Agree again with vampmogs that Willow looked best in S4, particularly early S4. I mean, I think Willow looks beautiful from the neck up and pretty dreadful from the neck down in ALL OF THE SEASONS. That's her MO. However while Willow looks great with long and medium hair, she REALLY shines with short hair to show off her face. She's of the Hallie Berry/Julie Andrews/Morena Baccarin rule there- take the hair off because the face is the main event here. (I don't believe that's still true for AH right now. She's still a lovely woman but her face has become heavier and lost a lot of elvin charm with age.)

Her top three seasons are:
        S4
        S6
        S2

BTW, as much as I think Willow thinks she looks best with short hair, her clothes were too dreadful and her make-up could be too OTT in S5 for me to rate it highly. And I didn't like the curly hair at the end of the season. However, her cuteness in this scene in Buffy vs. Dracula is so underrated!

Again, I agree with vampmogs that S3 and early S2 are awesome for Xander. He also looks best thinner. He also looks best with his hair shorter- although I thought there were points in S2 when his hair looked *too* short. I also think he looks terrific evil.

Case in point:

NB plays goofy so well that it's always a shock to my system to see him play evil and/or bad-ass so sexily so I adore Vamp Xander, Hyena Xander and Soldier Xander.

Also like Buffy, Xander is another one who looked fabulous in Restless. I also agree with vampmogs that he looked great in When She Was Bad, particularly that blue shirt at the Bronze.

Xander's top seasons?
        S3
        S4
        S2

More later...

Comment

Originally posted by Dipstick View Post
          Oooh, shallowness! Apparently, vampmogs and I see appearance-type stuff with near-identical eyes because I share almost all of his opinions so far.
          OMG! Finally we've found an area we agree on!

Buffy looked her best in S1 with some weight on her, which she carried perfectly with a softer face and fabulous breasts.
          Well, I wasn't going to say it... but yeah She has some very nice cleavage in S1.

A tie between S4 generally and the first half of S2 because Buffy's hair was great in early S2 but it started to look kinda fried and odd after Ted and didn't start to look good again until Becoming
          Completely agree on S2. What's funny is that I think Buffy has really great hair in Reptile Boy but then Cordy insults her over "that thing she does with her hair" and I'm like, WTF? And it's especially ironic coming from Cordy in that scene because she says this whilst sportin' that really ugly mid-S2 fringe she had going on I don't know what happens with Buffy's hair around Ted but it definitely looks thinner and loses that bounce.

Sidebar: I think Cordy looked her best in You're Welcome. She looked so beautiful and sexy in that episode. I also think she looks great in BtVS S1/AtS S2 and never got why both ME and Charisma hated her hair in The Shroud of Rahmon. I think Charisma looks a tad too thin in BtVS S3/AtS S1.

I agree with vampmogs that Angel looked best in S1. Unlike SMG, DB looks better thin than with bulk. However, Angel also looked wonderful as BtVS Angelus (and I LIKE the eyeliner damnit!) and wore the leather pants wonderfully. However, I'm not nearly as crazy about AtS S4 Angelus. Too bulky.
          I like the eyeliner too. I think it looks really good in B,B&B during the scene when Angelus brings Dru the shopkeeper's heart.

Again, I agree with vampmogs that S3 and early S2 are awesome for Xander. He also looks best thinner. He also looks best with his hair shorter- although I thought there were points in S2 when his hair looked *too* short. I also think he looks terrific evil.
          Yup! That's why I was very specific about early S2! Around the midway point they cut it too short and it makes his ears stick out and look really big It starts to grow out again by the end of the season but then in early S3 it's too long. His hair in Dead Man's Party and Homecoming makes him look really greasy and kinda' a sleaze. He looks best with his hair length in Early S2/late S3/Early S4.

Also like Buffy, Xander is another one who looked fabulous in Restless. I also agree with vampmogs that he looked great in When She Was Bad, particularly that blue shirt at the Bronze.
          It's annoying the hell out of me because I've been searching everywhere for a specific screencap of WSWB where Xander looks really good. It's when Buffy looks over at Xander and Angel in the warehouse just before she attacks the vamps. It used to be everywhere on the net and now I can't find it anywhere but both guys look pretty great in it. I think it's probably the most attractive moment for NB in the entire show.
          "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Mm, I do think that SMG looked great with a tad more weight as in BtVS s1. Oddly though, and this is something I've found weird, the hottest I have ever found either Buffy or Faith was when SMG was playing Faith in WAY -- which, take that for what you will! I agree that the Restless dream is particularly great.

I definitely agree that Willow's best season for looks is s4. I think she looks great in most of s6 and some of s7; CWDP in particular. I think that the blonde highlights in some of s7 look really awful and I try to put it out of my mind. Arghhhhh no highlights. The short hair definitely looks better on her for the most part. And yes, shorter hair is much better for her, mostly.

The vampWillow outfit is also famous for a reason, also.

On the Dark Willow episodes, I do think that the pitch-black hair does something good for her in a positive way. The dilated eyes, not so much. Moral: stick with red, but if you have to go off it, go blacker, not blonder.

I think Xander looks a bit too lanky and weird in s1, but he does look great in s2-4 as identified earlier.

Angel: I seem to be in a relative minority, but I think that he looks worst in BtVS s1. It is a good look for the specific trope they are identifying -- the Tall Dark Handsome Mysterious, etc. -- but he is so thin that his face is angular in weird ways and I can't really get a handle on it. He looks a bit skeletal.

Giles: I like the Ripper-Mage look he rocks in TTG/Grave a lot. Otherwise I think he looks good in the full tweedy outfit in early seasons.

Anya: my main thought is that I think the dark hair mostly doesn't look good on her, though it works in Selfless. Mostly she is mmmmm throughout though.

Oz: OK here I really think the dark hair doesn't work, at least for this character.

Spike: I think I like his looks best c. Buffy s5 -- he seems a bit too impish in s2 and is looking a little worn down in AtS s5. It's not that JM is no longer good-looking or whatever, but having his character's look frozen in time while he ages doesn't do him wonders. I mean, the same deal with DB, of course.

Darla: Definitely AtS s2. I agree about The Trial, but I love her in Darla, especially. I think Darla (the episode) is the high point, also, for "Darla's breathy voice," which can/could seem false otherwise but conveys the perfect amount of (manipulative!) vulnerability. mmmm.

Fred: I think s4-5 are a better period than s2-3, though that shot of Fred holding up a hand soaked in blood in Through the Looking Glass captures something about her that it makes sense Wesley would start falling for her instantly.

Wesley: I think the best look is stubble without glasses. I think the worst look is the no stubble, no glasses look in mid-AtS s5 at least within the show (he looks good with it in other things, like Dollhouse or Much Ado) -- it is possibly just that I'm so distracted by it and always waiting for his facial hair to start growing back.

Gunn: Hmmmm. I agree the goatee was not of the good. I don't know if I have a favourite period though.

Cordelia: Mmm, I think AtS s1 is a good time? I'm not really sure. The cut she gets in early s2 is a very "what?" moment, but called out in the text.

Comment

I would agree that SMG looked good in the early seasons. She started to look quite drawn and went too thin by the series end. I think that actually played in really well to her story progression as Buffy looked more serious and like she had battled each year of her life in comparison to her rounded more youthful and springy self from the early seasons.

Angel, again I agree with the majority that he was better looking in the early seasons. But that might be because I prefer a leaner physique and he definitely bulked out later on.

I was also taken aback when I watched S1 again recently that Xander was better looking than I remembered!! I think he lost it totally by later seasons though and found him straight unattractive by S5 but that could just be because I didn't particularly 'fancy' him in the first place.

Willow certainly looked more peppy with short hair so I think that suited her the most.

Ah Spike. The occasions when he was made up to be more typically pale vamp/redder lips it was sometimes overdone and looked too theatrical with the bleach job on top. I thought his worst season for this was probably S4 and he looked very like that in AtS In The Dark (plus his bleach job was overly yellow) but none of that stopped him being very good looking. I also was never keen on the red button down I have to say but loved the black t/jeans of later seasons. So even though I can find criticisms nothing takes away that throughout BtVS he embodies the perfect guy for me, I really can't name another character I think is more attractive so I am very bias. If I had to pick when he was at his absolute yummy best it would have to be S6 when he got his bod into absolute tip top shape as well as being facially gorgeous. Intriguingly, although I love seeing his flashbacks and his William years he doesn't do anything for me if he isn't bleached up. I think it takes him from being a 10/10 to a 6ish. Odd I know because I don't even generally speaking like bleach blond it just works for him. The only other time I think JM has looked as good is when his hair was totally shaved. I did like the basement crazy two tone with curls as well. Whilst I still adored him desperately in AtS 5 JM had visibly aged by then and definitely lost the chiselling to his facial features. I'd still strap him down and keep him forever though.
              Last edited by Stoney; 26-01-13, 02:58 PM.

Comment

A few more comments.

Unlike Max, I think Anya looked much better with dark hair. Blonde didn't suit her that well.

I agree that Oz didn't look good with hair dyed black, but that's to be expected - natural redheads tend to look really weird with black hair dye.

I also agree that Willow's shorter season 5 hairdo was her best look.

I only found Xander sexy when he's evil (Hyena or Vamp Xander) - but I thought that had more to do with him dropping the goofiness, and a much better fashion sense he had whenever he was evil!

Speaking of which, Giles' fashion sense got much better with time, and with it his attractiveness (which was also due to him acting less stuffy) - in season 1 they were really making him look and act like a stereotypical fussy Brit/librarian. But he was definitely on the higher level of sexiness as a bad guy in Band Candy!

Wesley, of course, also got much more attractive once he lost the stuffiness and started wearing scruff in accordance to his new "dark" personality.

I don't like Buffy's uber-blonde hair in seasons 2 and 3, and in season 3 she had some especially bad haircuts. They made her blonde hair look much more natural and beautiful in seasons 5-7. When it was long, it was really gorgeous. But her darker blonde, also natural looking hair in season 1 was also lovely.

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                Season 1 is also my favorite, I liked the slightly darker hair and the length of it. She was also slightly fuller which I find much better looking on her. Also her clothes, she still dressed really youthfull, I noticed recently (now I'm the age Buffy had in season 7) that she started dressing quite mature quite early on.
                Season 3 is another of my favorites, because she has a lot of nice clothes in it and I liked the length of her hair. It's also still youthfull and practical. The only big problem with her style in season 3 was the fringe she had in Amends, who ever thought that was a great idea?
                She was dressing the best in season 2, when she was still wearing sexy and youthful clothes, but not OTT as in season 1. In season 1, she dressed like a cheerleader who's trying to be super-sexy every day in school. Which I guess made sense since she was just growing out of her cheerleader past.

However, I disagree on season 3 - that's IMO Buffy's worst season fashion-wise, by far. She started dressing like a soccer mom or a politician's wife, or she wore a lot of dreadful pastel-colored and flowery stuff that was probably supposed to make her look like a stereotypical Good Girl. All this, obviously, because they were going for the contrast with Bad Girl Faith. I hated that the first time I watched the season (I remember that me and my mom commented sarcastically on the way that we were meant to see who's good and who's bad by the color of their lipstick - Faith's was dark red, of course! At the same time we watched season 3, there was some silly telenovela on TV - my mom liked to watch them and poke fun at them - where the main actress played the heroine and her evil twin, and the main visual difference between them was... guess what... the evil one always wore darker lipstick!!! )

There were exceptions - I loved the white coat she wore in Amends. But the bangs were really bad!

In season 4 she went back to more youthful clothes, but in season 5 there were again times when she was dressing and wearing her hair like a mom; I supposed they were trying to convey her new role as Dawn's guardian and went too far with it. But most of the time in seasons 6 and 7, she was dressing in the normal way that women dress in everyday life, not trying to look prim or proper or to look particularly sexy - turtlenecks, pants, knee-length skirts.

It's interesting how certain fashion choices were used to convey certain states of mind (like the famous "Overalls of Pain", ugh). What is everyone's opinion on the "dark and edgy" one-off outfits like the black one in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered when she's worrying about Angelus stalking her and asking Giles about what he might do (I should really find a gif, at least if nobody remembers how it looked), and the outfit and weird necklace in Dead Things bronze scene (though I think that one reappeared shortly in season 7, so it was a two-off)?

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                Ah Spike. The occasions when he was made up to be more typically pale vamp/redder lips it was sometimes overdone and looked too theatrical with the bleach job on top. I thought his worst season for this was probably S4 and he looked very like that in AtS In The Dark (plus his bleach job was overly yellow) but none of that stopped him being very good looking. I also was never keen on the red button down I have to say but loved the black t/jeans of later seasons. So even though I can find criticisms nothing takes away that throughout BtVS he embodies the perfect guy for me, I really can't name another character I think is more attractive so I am very bias. If I had to pick when he was at his absolute yummy best it would have to be S6 when he got his bod into absolute tip top shape as well as being facially gorgeous. Intriguingly, although I love seeing his flashbacks and his William years he doesn't do anything for me if he isn't bleached up. I think it takes him from being a 10/10 to a 6ish. Odd I know because I don't even generally speaking like bleach blond it just works for him. The only other time I think JM has looked as good is when his hair was totally shaved. I did like the basement crazy two tone with curls as well. Whilst I still adored him desperately in AtS 5 JM had visibly aged by then and definitely lost the chiselling to his facial features. I'd still strap him down and keep him forever though.
                I actually liked his unhealthy look in season 4 around the time of The Initiative/Pangs/Something Blue, there was something strangely sexy about it! That moment when he drinks blood from the straw while being chained in the bathtub and looks at Buffy with the sauciest look imaginable, is for some reason one of his sexiest moments IMO! And The Harsh Light of Day is, of course, the first time we see his wonderful chest (plus the panther crawl... mmm ). But he was definitely at his sexiest and most gorgeous in his season 5-6 phase.

ETA: oh, and Spike looked his absolute worst with hair dyed black in Why We Fight. (In TGIQ we see him just for 2 seconds in a parody shot.)
                Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 26-01-13, 06:41 PM.
                You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                  OMG! Finally we've found an area we agree on!
                  LOL. We've agreed on some other stuff (a bunch of stuff about Billy and gayness, criticisms *and* defenses of Xander, I agree with your responses to MikeB even though I don't like to join in those debates). But yes, we're usually not opinion-twins to say the least.

Completely agree on S2. What's funny is that I think Buffy has really great hair in Reptile Boy but then Cordy insults her over "that thing she does with her hair" and I'm like, WTF? And it's especially ironic coming from Cordy in that scene because she says this whilst sportin' that really ugly mid-S2 fringe she had going on I don't know what happens with Buffy's hair around Ted but it definitely looks thinner and loses that bounce.
                  Haha. When Cordelia snarks on Willow's outfit in Welcome to the Hellmouth, I've muttered, "At least she isn't wearing lime-green pants designed to make a thin cheerleader's butt look big."

Yup. Buffy looks superb in Reptile Boy. Cordelia's blonde highlights in early S2 weren't great. I wasn't fond of Cordelia's bangs in *some* scenes in S2. However, I'd rate S2 was one of Cordelia's best seasons.

IMO, Cordelia looked her best on BTVS by far. She started to look a little old in S3. (Was someone skipping foundation entirely? Someone needs to learn how to moisturize!). I have mixed feelings on CC's outfits, particularly S3. Some of her pencil skirt and sweaters/demi-suits looked very chic and put together but kind of aged her and made her look like a substitute teacher next to genuine teenagers in the other Scoobies.

I agree that she got too thin in her face and limbs, but her breasts were always splendid. She looks nice in You're Welcome but as a rule, I think CC's hair should always be long and dark. Her clothes were wonderful in AtS S2. Best clothes in the series. However, they start sucking by S2 and her clothes all sucked in S3.

I love Giles's Magic Box suits in S5. They are classy and elegant, unlike his S4 sweater and S7 jackets, but they are more modern and hip than his early season tweed suits. Whenever I see Giles in those suits in S5 on a rewatch, I always think "Someone got himself a makeover!"

Giles's top three seasons are:
                  S5
                  S6
                  S3

I agree with Local_Max that Anya is really something for rocking so many different looks. Dark hair, light hair, curly hair, straight hair, long hair, short hair- she carries every look either pretty well or great. EC aged a lot but she was fiiiine on this show. I think she only looked bad in Entropy because her hair looked too frizzy and over-bleached and her wedding dress and hair were disappointing. (ETA: Yeah, I also didn't like this short, dark, curly hair that she sported in Sleeper but that's somewhat saved by the fact that Anya blames her unflattering hair for why Spike wouldn't want to have sex with her.) And I believe that her clothes were the best of all female characters on either show.

Anya looked her absolute best in S5- particularly the end. Blonde, curly hair looks amazing on her. She also wore some great trousers or wrap dresses (I want her Checkpoint dress when the Watcher's Council bust the Magic Box) that looked very classy on her.

She looked second best in The Wish/Doppelgangland and the early eps of S4 (The Harsh Light of Day/Fear Itself) wheres she wore a similar dark almost shoulder-length in S3 and shoulder-length hairstyle in S4.

I agree with Local_Max that I didn't like Wesley's no spectacles/no stubble look in S5. He needs one or the other. I agree with Nina that Wesley looked his best in S4 with the scruffy look and the nicely tailored, rustic clothes.

However, I think he's also not just adorable but also HAWT in his dorkier years- BtVS S3 and AtS S1-2. I'm not a tuxedo fan but he carries his brilliantly in The Prom and he (and Cordelia) look wonderful dressed up in The Ring. I hate when he wore big, bulky sweaters (see She) but I kind of liked his light, seer-sucker like suits in AtS S1. Gotta admire a man who is in style enough to go for light suits or a light jacket and pants combo. It makes much more sense for LA than Angel's relentless "Black, Black, black and more black" outfits.

His top three seasons are:

AtS S4
                  AtS S3
                  AtS S1

IMO, Oz looked best in S4 with a more natural auburn hair color. He also wore some awesome T-shirts in early S4. His laid-back attitude was hyper-charming and attractive in college. IMO, Willow and Oz generally looked good together but the fact that they both looked their best in S4 combined them into some kind of super-nova hip, attractive couple who must have gotten second and third looks from the other UC Sunnydale freshman who would want to know what the cool, fun people are doing.

Oz looked second best with a darker blonde color ala Graduation Day. I agree with everyone that really dark hair looked awful on him and really bleached blond hair (ala Earshot) also looked awful. There's only one shot where Oz looks good with the black hair- when he thought that Willow was vamped in Doppelgangland and the hair matches his grim, quietly tragic expression perfectly.

Spike was never my taste, even though I see why he rocks other people's world. IMO, he looked best in BTVS S2 and with the longer hair/undyed hair while he was crazy in early S7. By S6 through AtS S5, his hair kind of looked emulsified into a blonde helmet so the longer hair was very refreshing.

Dawn looks best all filled out in S7 with her hair cut just past her shoulders. I wasn't crazy about the blonde highlights in that season but other than that, she looked fine. I also give Dawn some props in how she always maintained a preppy, consistent, age-appropriate look and closet. With some points taken away that Dawn's put-togetherness was nice but lacked the fun, the originality, the authentic "Man, finding a look is a work in progress for you!" that Buffy's and Willow's crazy, every-changing looks had.

It's weird that I like Fred and I think Amy Acker is pretty but I have little to say about her looks. All I have is that she looked best in S5. Her hair looked good curly in that season and her miniskirts were hella sexy, even though they were inappropriate for working in a lab/law firm and kind of added to some of her S5 Mary Sueishness.

ETA: My general preference is for less make-up on Willow than the other female characters, Willow looks particularly great heavily made-up in ultra-Party-Girl mode in Smashed and some of the Wrecked scenes before the magic really hits her badly.
                  Last edited by Dipstick; 26-01-13, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I don't think Emma C is attractive but I think she probably looked better with darker hair and the overtly curly hair just looked weird on her imo.

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                    I actually liked his unhealthy look in season 4 around the time of The Initiative/Pangs/Something Blue, there was something strangely sexy about it! That moment when he drinks blood from the straw while being chained in the bathtub and looks at Buffy with the sauciest look imaginable, is for some reason one of his sexiest moments IMO! And The Harsh Light of Day is, of course, the first time we see his wonderful chest (plus the panther crawl... mmm ). But he was definitely at his sexiest and most gorgeous in his season 5-6 phase.
                    Ooooo, all chained up vulnerable yet dangerous and baaaad. There is nothing strangely sexy about that!!! He was always, at any point, bringing it on there is no doubt, just some times more than others. I can't think of a time Spike wasn't totally hot. Although I don't like vamp faces, but hey, for him I wouldn't give a damn.

Comment

Hm, thinking about it I do think Anya looked great in BY/Selfless, especially Selfless, as well as in s3/early s4, so I might be wrong about the dark hair. There was some episode in s5-6 where I thought the dark hair was weird and distracting. But hey.

Yes to Cordelia in "You're Welcome" -- I think that's the hottest she is overall. I should have mentioned earlier, but the look in almost all of s3 was distracting and annoying. Oddly, I think that she looks pretty good, if not anywhere near her best, in really early s4 (think Spin the Bottle-era) with the short hair with some blonde highlights, but I think what I liked about it there was the way it complemented her "I'm Cordelia but I'm not sure that I am, my identity is a mess" stuff.

STONEY, the following paragraph is spoilery for AtS s3-4 (I won't spoiler-tag it because it's a pretty general, non-rewatch thread): The real reason I dislike the AtS s3 Cordelia stuff is probably that I see it as part of the "Cordy as Bright Light Goddess" phase, culminating in Cordy going to meet Angel in "Tomorrow" in a weird, loose-hanging white thing which was, what? I am really, really not fashion conscious by any means, but damn, what the hell was that she was wearing? And it all goes into the St. Cordy stuff which is urgh. The evil!Cordy look with those weird outfits designed to hide her pregnancy were also increasingly bad looking. That thing she was wearing in Orpheus when she did the Big Reveal at the end of the episode was especially weird.

I forgot about the early-s7 Spike look, which I agree looks really good.

As Dipstick says, the made-up look for Willow in Smashed-Wrecked does work well for her. I think this is nice to contrast with her okay-this-is-not-right attempt at sexiness in Wild at Heart which does come across as false. Even if it's partly because she's riding high on the crest of her artificially enhanced self-image, Willow owns her looks with more confidence later on. I do actually love Willow's look in Triangle -- I like the look of both AH and EC in that episode, and the way both their curls look just a bit alike. Maybe I should just go through the late (in the sense of no longer being in fandom, not in the sense of being dead!), great gabriellabelle's icons and pick out favourites and least favourites (though there is some bias toward the better-looking in those selections).

I think I prefer suit-Lindsey to urban cowboy-Lindsey in s5. Lilah always looks amazing but I think that she looked progressively better and more distinctive in her dress and hairstyle over the series.

ETA:

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                      However, I disagree on season 3 - that's IMO Buffy's worst season fashion-wise, by far. She started dressing like a soccer mom or a politician's wife, or she wore a lot of dreadful pastel-colored and flowery stuff that was probably supposed to make her look like a stereotypical Good Girl. All this, obviously, because they were going for the contrast with Bad Girl Faith. I hated that the first time I watched the season (I remember that me and my mom commented sarcastically on the way that we were meant to see who's good and who's bad by the color of their lipstick - Faith's was dark red, of course! At the same time we watched season 3, there was some silly telenovela on TV - my mom liked to watch them and poke fun at them - where the main actress played the heroine and her evil twin, and the main visual difference between them was... guess what... the evil one always wore darker lipstick!!! )

There were exceptions - I loved the white coat she wore in Amends. But the bangs were really bad!
                      I agree that that's the real reason they had Buffy dress so conservatively in s3. HOWEVER, I think there's an easy fanwank for it -- which is that Buffy is basically dressing as much for Joyce as for anyone else in that season, and is deliberately trying to distance herself from the runaway/bad seed identity. In season 1-2 Buffy was rebelling against Joyce whenever she could, in terms of boys & fashion and whatever (even if they were relatively minor rebellions), but in s3, especially early s3, she is deeply invested in being as good a kid as she can be without giving up her slaying, to make up for running away and to avoid another "Dead Man's Party"-style confrontation.

I think this makes her relationship with Faith even more poignant -- because Faith is, like Buffy just was, a traumatized runaway, but Buffy is too busy distancing herself from that to be able to connect 100% on that level, though she does try. I think had Faith shown up in season two, the dress difference would be lesser -- although Buffy might still start dressing more "good girl"-y in order to distinguish herself from Faith.

Stoney, EC not being attractive is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard a fan say! I am just joking, and this is an even greater "up to taste" thing than anything else, but, you know, damn.

ETA2: Dipstick, if Cordelia's clothes in late s2-s3 suck, I guess Angel actually had the taste of a gay man without great fashion sense!
                      Last edited by Local Maximum; 26-01-13, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Local Maximum View Post
                        Stoney, EC not being attractive is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard a fan say! I am just joking, and this is an even greater "up to taste" thing than anything else, but, you know, damn.
                        Ha! I find it really funny because I saw, not long after I came to the online fandom someone make some comment about how all the women in BtVS were attractive and I was genuinely taken aback. I'm risking getting pummelled here but I honestly thought it was bizarre because Willow was just an average looking girl, Tara was very plain, Dru was unusual but quite creepy in a lot of ways and Anya tending to look really harsh and mean. I just had never thought of BtVS as a show full of beautiful people, men or women. I quite like it though, I like that they cast a hugely varying array of people who can be looked on in different ways rather than just casting people who conformed to current/specific 'types'. My contrasting programme (don't know where you're based) would be Hollyoaks in the UK. The male/female cast in the main fit current trends of teenage fantasies and the only thing you can be sure of aside from characters are either in the cool/sexy group or the uncool/nerdy group (some later being transformed like a butterfly and allowed to transfer to the 'better' group) is that you are likely to be unfaithful/cheated on or die.

Thanks for the AtS spoilery warning btw, that was appreciated.
                        Last edited by Stoney; 26-01-13, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Local Maximum View Post
                          Hm, thinking about it I do think Anya looked great in BY/Selfless, especially Selfless, as well as in s3/early s4, so I might be wrong about the dark hair. There was some episode in s5-6 where I thought the dark hair was weird and distracting. But hey.
                          I don't recall Anya's hair being dark at all in S5/6. You may be thinking about S7.

As Dipstick says, the made-up look for Willow in Smashed-Wrecked does work well for her. I think this is nice to contrast with her okay-this-is-not-right attempt at sexiness in Wild at Heart which does come across as false. Even if it's partly because she's riding high on the crest of her artificially enhanced self-image, Willow owns her looks with more confidence later on.
                          Right. Willow was heavily made-up in Halloween (in her sexy outfit and when talking to Buffy about Angel) and Lie to Me when Angel comes into her bedroom and it's awful-looking. It looks exactly like what it should look in the story- a girl learning how to put on makeup for the first time and over-applying it and using bad, cheap colors. In S1-4, she definitely carries off her usual clean-faced look much better than playing with make-up.

In S5, she experiments with more make-up and curling her hair and wearing high boots and wrap dresses and dry-clean type outfits. The look is definitely more adult and sometimes looks good but a lot of her screw-ups in S5 are bad and make me rate the season lower even though I prefer Willow with short hair and can recognize her effort.

She hadn't mastered the art of dressing sexy for a night on the town until S6. Like her look in Homecoming that drives Xander into her arms and onto her lips is really nothing special. It's a plain black dress that looks like she borrowed it from her mom's closet with hardly any make-up on her face and the same hairstyle that she wears every day. Meanwhile, Buffy made a lovely up-do and Cordelia curled her hair well. Buffy experimented well with a shorter, almost tea-length dress in an orange and Cordelia experimented badly but interestingly with a BRIGHT green dress.

In The Prom, she tries to put her hair up but it just looks bunched back. She puts on way too much make up. Her dress isn't amazing, even though apparently, she was looking for a dress right up until the prom. AH awkwardly has her wrap on like she's not quite sure what to do with it. She only still looks good by virtue of being effervescent with her awesome big eyes and big smile and having a very low-cut dress.

She does awkwardly wear her Leather Pants of Seduction in Wild at Heart. It makes for an interesting blend of authenticity and inauthenticity. I do believe that Willow is the only person that I've ever seen flop down on someone's bed to sit Indian-style while wearing a vampy-tight leather pants look. I heart that bit in Xander's basement. Hee.

I love how her Failed Seduction of Oz 3.0 is staged. She tries to walk sexily into the room but it just looks like something is wrong with her gait. Oz who is stressed with his guilt just looks guilty and kind of annoyed with his "New clothes?" Then, it's quite cute that her opening salvo of seduction is to give Oz a big bear hug. Then she tries to go for seductive by repeating their pillow talk about how he can shut her brain up and it doesn't really work in terms of being sexy but it is quite funny and charming so Oz forgets the scratches and hickeys and bites and all of his guilt and kind of grins and kisses her back until she pulls his shirt up and he remembers. It's a pretty perfect encapsulation of what was good about their relationship and how it's being destroyed by what's bad about their relationship.

I think I prefer suit-Lindsey to urban cowboy-Lindsey in s5. Lilah always looks amazing but I think that she looked progressively better and more distinctive in her dress and hairstyle over the series.
                          I completely agree. I hate Lindsey's S5 tattoos and I found Lindsey's country-accent grating when he overdid it.

I agree that that's the real reason they had Buffy dress so conservatively in s3. HOWEVER, I think there's an easy fanwank for it -- which is that Buffy is basically dressing as much for Joyce as for anyone else in that season, and is deliberately trying to distance herself from the runaway/bad seed identity. In season 1-2 Buffy was rebelling against Joyce whenever she could, in terms of boys & fashion and whatever (even if they were relatively minor rebellions), but in s3, especially early s3, she is deeply invested in being as good a kid as she can be without giving up her slaying, to make up for running away and to avoid another "Dead Man's Party"-style confrontation.

I think this makes her relationship with Faith even more poignant -- because Faith is, like Buffy just was, a traumatized runaway, but Buffy is too busy distancing herself from that to be able to connect 100% on that level, though she does try. I think had Faith shown up in season two, the dress difference would be lesser -- although Buffy might still start dressing more "good girl"-y in order to distinguish herself from Faith.
                          Great point. Particularly in Dead Man's Party, Buffy's fussy pink dress and fussy hair really feel like Buffy dressing as Joyce would like. It's Buffy choosing a look to match Joyce's desire for a company-plate evening instead of a normal-plate evening. Not only does Buffy appear to dress fussily to distance herself from Faith and appease Joyce, some of her fussiest outfits are when she's VERY CONSPICUOUSLY NOT having sex with Angel. See her ugly lilac coat in Enemies while going to the movies to Angel and feeling all dissatisfied that they saw an erotic movie and can now do basically nothing.

Buffy does wear some good, hip clothes in S3- even when she's not trying to out-Bad Girl-Faith. Her Homecoming dress was edgy and cute. Like TTB, I like her white coat in Amends. Or her black leather jacket and jeans at the end of Choices. I covet her white mini and black top and high boots outfit at the end of Earshot. One of her best looks.

And she can carry off some of the goody-two-shoes outfits well- the full skirted blue 1950s dress when she's trying to get Homecoming votes by dropping her books and getting boys to pick it up. However, there are definitely a lot of unflattering fussy outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dipstick View Post
                            Great point. Particularly in Dead Man's Party, Buffy's fussy pink dress and fussy hair really feel like Buffy dressing as Joyce would like. It's Buffy choosing a look to match Joyce's desire for a company-plate evening instead of a normal-plate evening. Not only does Buffy appear to dress fussily to distance herself from Faith and appease Joyce, some of her fussiest outfits are when she's VERY CONSPICUOUSLY NOT having sex with Angel. See her ugly lilac coat in Enemies while going to the movies to Angel and feeling all dissatisfied that they saw an erotic movie and can now do basically nothing.

Buffy does wear some good, hip clothes in S3- even when she's not trying to out-Bad Girl-Faith. Her Homecoming dress was edgy and cute. Like TTB, I like her white coat in Amends. Or her black leather jacket and jeans at the end of Choices. I covet her white mini and black top and high boots outfit at the end of Earshot. One of her best looks.

And she can carry off some of the goody-two-shoes outfits well- the full skirted blue 1950s dress when she's trying to get Homecoming votes by dropping her books and getting boys to pick it up. However, there are definitely a lot of unflattering fussy outfits.
                            Mmmm, yes -- that really fits. And I think that gets to the core of the Buffy/Faith thing. Buffy and Faith are stereotypically "good girl/bad girl" but there is more going on below the surface and they have reasons for taking on these roles. Buffy, mainly, is responding to the fact that season two had her one night of sexing leading to months of death culminating in her killing her lover and running out of town. She is trying to be as much of a good girl and responsible adult as she possibly can to run away from what just happened. And this actually reinforces the differences between Buffy and Faith and makes them even more isolated from each other. And it ties into the shadow thing, since Faith gets to do the things Buffy wants to do -- consider running away (in F,H,T), enjoy slaying, dress sexily, have sex, make out with Angel(us?) super passionately, etc. (Arguably even "sleep with Xander," though that is more controversial -- I do think that by late s2 Buffy's feelings for Xander included a greater element of attraction than they did back in season one, but things are way too fraught for her to consider acting on it.) Meanwhile, Buffy has the things Faith wants -- a solid support, albeit wacky and problem-filled system, a caring mom and nice home, etc.

wait shallow sorry you know Faith is pretty much always hot

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                              Ooooo, all chained up vulnerable yet dangerous and baaaad. There is nothing strangely sexy about that!!! He was always, at any point, bringing it on there is no doubt, just some times more than others. I can't think of a time Spike wasn't totally hot. Although I don't like vamp faces, but hey, for him I wouldn't give a damn.
                              I actually can! The black hair he wore in Why We Fight was his absolute worst look. (He also wore it in the brief Fellini-parody flashback in TGIQ, but that was for a couple of seconds.)

Comment

Working...
                              X