Your favourite Buffy scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite Buffy scores?

What scores from Buffy do you like and which ones affected you the most when hearing them? Any that instantly cause nostalgia? I think most of Buffy's musical scores really do hit the right place emotionally every time.

I know I'm an avid Spuffy supporter but Bangels theme tune has to be one of my absolute favourites on the show, I liked the various versions of it especially this one "Moment of Happiness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UACBTXJZaE&feature=plcp

It is possibly the tune which I got the most emotional to when growing up it was so tragic yet beautiful which brilliantly reflects the nature of their relationship. The use of the sound of the heartbeat and the pan flute are beautiful in the second half of the score.

I also really like A Really Big Sand Box from Restless
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjMdk...7&feature=plcp

I also do love The Final Fight and Spuffy's theme tune.

Angel Waits because of its uniqueness and it is generally really eerie (the pit of your stomach eerie) You sense the true danger of Angelus in this score but whats more creepy about it is the twisted moment where he reaches out and touches her, its actually quite romantic and beautiful yet terrifying at the same time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS6G9...feature=relmfu

EDIT - OK I totally posted this in the wrong section lol.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 08-10-12, 03:36 PM.
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

"Slayer's Elegy" (by Christopher Beck) from The Wish, and "Elope" (by Thomas Wanker) from Smashed (the ending) - sadly this one hasn't been released.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

That is a pretty damn strong piece of music I must admit. I really liked the scores from season 2 and 3 they had their very own unique sound, it was certainly a "buffy" sound back then. Later they became something else, more classicaly cinematic but equally as unique. For example the Sacrifice from The Gift. One of the most beautiful from the later seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxj3ljDT68
      Last edited by BuffySpike; 08-10-12, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I love 'The Final Fight'. If I close my eyes while listening to it, I can almost imagine a season 7 that doesn't suck ass.

As for romantic themes - I love 'Spellbound'. It plays during the Willow/Tara sex spell in 'Who Are You?'.

Other great ones that come to mind are the organ(?) music that plays while Buffy marches to the Master's cave in 'Prophecy Girl' and the ominous music when the First talks to Spike at the end of 'Lessons'. Also during the final scene of 'Prophecy Girl' where everyone talks about going to the prom I think you can hear what sounds like a piano rendition of the opening theme.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffySpike View Post
          I also do love The Final Fight and Spuffy's theme tune.
          Is there a Spuffy theme tune? I'm crap with scores, they really add in to mood for me but totally without me consciously noticing. I only tend to notice when there is absence, like in The Body.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            Is there a Spuffy theme tune? I'm crap with scores, they really add in to mood for me but totally without me consciously noticing. I only tend to notice when there is absence, like in The Body.
            Yes the second he had a soul, the writers gave him a love theme tune with Buffy

You hear it first at the end of Beneath You in the church and then when she confronts him about killing people in his room and he speaks about how he got his soul for her. Then you hear it a few more times and each time its arranged slightly different. You hear it in Touched during his speech to her. You get its full glory when they hold hands and it bursts into flame.

Skip to 2:50 until 3:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixvV2FxWhQ

That is their love theme in its full glory. Its strikingly different to Bangel's theme tune which always embodied a beautiful yet tragic message to it. To me the Spuffy tune has a sense of epicness to it and it feels as if it is a true revelation. Like two souls that have finally found each other after a long and bumpy road, even though it is too late by this point

I think a lot of people miss this one because it is so subtle throughout the show, it's barely an echo in most of their scenes together and then you get it in this one true moment between them (the other being the church scene). Its almost as if the subtlety until that one moment was intentional because the instant she grasped his hand was the second she knew for certain that she loved this man beyond any question of a doubt. So having it blast so beautifully in all its epicness at that particular moment made it even more impressive and resonating.

3:18 just before she says "I love you" is where it reaches its peak and it is filled with wonderment and signals an epiphany which IMO reflects her state of mind. Then it drops slightly when he says "no you don't" and it becomes sad in tone, it reflects his state of mind at that moment. Then with her final glance at him, it rises and changes again slightly and it has a sense of understanding and finality to it.
            Last edited by BuffySpike; 09-10-12, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              Gee, where did you lived till now? It's available for download from composer Robert Duncan's website, under the title Chosen - slayer victory/ buffy&spike love theme
              "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
              Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Comment

My favourites;

Remembering Jenny -- I have to seriously stop myself from just curling into a ball and blubbering every time I hear this. It's so sad

The Final Fight/Spuffy theme song -- A lot of people don't realise that this is the Spuffy theme song because it's mixed in with the final fight score. But a portion of it is designated to Spuffy and plays over their final scene together in Chosen as well as the church scene in Beneath You. The Spuffy part is this bit. But I really love the whole (long version) of the Final Fight. It's so epic and moving and is by far the best score on the show, IMO.

Every Girl, a Slayer -- The score playing over Buffy's speech as the Potentials all around the world become Slayers. Chosen really does just have amazing music.

Close Your Eyes -- It's the Buffy/Angel theme song and plays over many of their scenes. I really like it and I get very nostalgic when they play it over their scene together in Chosen. It was used a lot in the early seasons of the show so it brings back a lot of memories.

Sacrifice -- I especially love the beginning of this one when the piano is just playing softly. That moment when Buffy realises what she has to do is my favourite part of The Gift.

Faith's End and Class Protector and War and The Beginning Of The End -- All from the end of S3. I really love the scores in those last few episodes.

I do wish I could find the score for the end of Prophecy Girl. It's a rendition of the BtVS theme tune done by Walter Murphy and it's very touching. But there's nothing on Youtube
                Last edited by vampmogs; 09-10-12, 09:00 AM.
                "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by ubi4soft View Post
                  Gee, where did you lived till now? It's available for download from composer Robert Duncan's website, under the title Chosen - slayer victory/ buffy&spike love theme
                  Ha! I really liked it and did recognise the louder part(!) but wouldn't have had a clue where it was from!! Scores matter to me in that they feed into the feel/tone/emotion of a scene, giving it an extra depth, but this more often than not means I don't notice it as a separate and distinct thing, it is just a component of a whole. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I went and watched some of my favourite scenes, with the music specifically in mind, to find that all of them have great scores.

Comment

I tell you another beautiful one despite it being about Kennedy is a Kissed to Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwQp5yKXtOw

Vampmogs that one about Jenny is actually Antony Head singing the vocals apparently! I agree it is a very sad score

I agree totally about Close Your Eyes, its probably the score that defines Buffy for me.

I really like the way Sacrifice was played in Bargaining Pt 2 when she's back on top of the tower.

Faith's End is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVkBR17hync&
                    Last edited by BuffySpike; 10-10-12, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X