Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon Xander/Dawn: What do you think of it so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon Xander/Dawn: What do you think of it so far?

As this is pretty much the only official ongoing relationship (so far) currently in the Buffyverse in Season Nine, I thought I'd gauge fans' reactions and thoughts about it.

1) I love it in any form!
    2) I love both the idea and the current execution of it.
    2) I like the idea, but am ambivalent about the actual execution of it.
    3) I like the execution of it, but really am not crazy about the idea of it.
    4) I don't like either the idea or the current execution of it.
    5) I hate it!

Feel free to expand on your answer -- what do you think is being doing right with it, what do you think could be done better, do you think it's an integral part of the story being told or just an easy way to shove two characters into the background, what do you hope happens, etc. etc.

I'm very ambivalent about it. I liked the friendship that developed between Xander & Dawn but I have a hard time with them being in a relationship for some reason - I just can't really picture it. I don't know if it's the medium and had Season 9 played out on the show if I would have liked it better. But that's sort of a problem I have with the comics - I have the characters in my head as they were on the show and at no point when watching the show did I ever see romantic chemistry between Xander & Dawn.

I do understand why the writers chose to go in that direction because they started getting pretty close in Season 8, but I think I would have preferred that they just stay good friends.

What I hope happens is that Xander & Dawn are featured more prominently in Season 9 in future issues. They've been sort of shoved out of the way and aren't really in much of the story and I wish they were.

Comment

I was more 3) at first. I found it a bit odd that Xander would end up in a relationship with Dawn whom he had seen grow up. He and Buffy and Dawn had a whole family vibe going on in early S7 where Dawn was very much the teenager, it just seemed an odd way to go for me. I have got used to it I suppose, I am not hugely against it but they haven't shown me the relationship at all I don't think. Everything happens off panel it seems. Xander is one of the best executed characterisations S8-S9, I really like what they have done with him and have high (most likely unrealistic) hopes for what his story is in S9 but that interest isn't tied in to Dawn particularly. I suppose I remain pretty ambivalent to them. I don't love or hate because I don't really feel I know what they are like. I would like to see more. The bits we see, the interactions and jovial moments (like carrying her in the hellmouth attack in S8) are funny. So, basically, I need to see more. I don't think it would have worked on the TV personally because the age difference would probably have been incredibly apparent, MT looked very very much the teenager still in S7, so it works better in the comics for me.

Comment

A new option for me! I'm ambivalent about the idea but I *hate* the execution.

I mean, I *love* Xander and I like Dawn. That's a point for me liking them together. I think it would be bad-ass if they were billed as the Normal Couple, but out on the frontlines in a Mr. and Mrs. Smith as the Bad-Assery of Pure Normalcy. I do think there's something a little weird about how Xander seemed so much older than Dawn than S5-7 and was her care-taker but I'm a Little Women fangirl from way back. The story where Laurie/Xander loves and is best friends with Jo March/Buffy but ends up finding matrimonial bliss with little Amy/Dawn who growed up real good is a trope for me which lessens the weirdness.

I don't really buy Joss Whedon's statement that he's been shipping them since Potential but there's still a Xander/Dawn friendship dynamic that's pretty distinctive in the later seasons.

That all said, nothing convinces me that's there's romantic kismet between the two- even when they had screentime in S5-8. Of all of the people in all the gin joints in the world, why should Xander and Dawn be romantically together, other their Buffy/fighting evil connection? Do they challenge each other, do they have a unique understanding of the other's sense of human, what?

And the way they were *both* shunted aside in unison in S9 like the writers' think it's easier to shut both characters away if they're in the same apartment really sours me on the relationship.

I'd say that it's premature for me to write this negative post with Xander/Dawn stuff coming down the pipeline in two issues. However, given my disappointment with this season and with how Xander/Dawn was handled, I predict that this post will still aptly describe my feelings by the end of S9.

Comment

Execution? What execution? They have shown us about as much of Xander/Dawn as they did of Olivia/Giles. I can't really make up my mind about something I have barely seen.
          Xander: "Willow, you are the best human ever! I adore you! Well, that's the cookies talking, but you rock!"

Comment

Actually, we've seen quite a bit less of Xander/Dawn than Olivia/Giles. I was honestly expecting, given how 'salty' Season 8 was more than willing to be in both dream and non-dream sequences alike, that we might have seen Xander and Dawn at least waking up in bed together at some point.

I like the pairing, not as much as I like other Xander pairings, but the execution has been a thorough disappointment so far.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Well I think of how little people have commented in this thread is clear sign of what people think of it, I myself included. It brings nothing to the table like X/C, X/W, or X/A did.

Comment

I love the idea of them, they make sense to me. I saw the potential for a Xander/Dawn pairing since season 7.

However, the comics are doing nothing with them and keeping them in the background or totally off-panel, even in season, where there are no main characters left apart from Buffy, and that's frankly unfathomable to me! I honestly don't know what the writers'/producers are thinking.
                Last edited by Francy; 07-10-12, 07:27 PM.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                Icon by xiperita

Comment

I used to be a huge fan of the idea of them! I've read plenty of Xander/Dawn fanfics and loved the fanart! But after seeing canon go there.... gosh! I can't stand them anymore. In S8, we've only seen them through the eyes of Buffy and we're barely seeing them in S9. It's like the writers themselves aren't interested. So, either break them up or think up storylines for them. I'm still upset we haven't seen their first kiss.
                  Made by Trickyboxes
                  Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                    I used to be a huge fan of the idea of them! I've read plenty of Xander/Dawn fanfics and loved the fanart! But after seeing canon go there.... gosh! I can't stand them anymore. In S8, we've only seen them through the eyes of Buffy and we're barely seeing them in S9. It's like the writers themselves aren't interested. So, either break them up or think up storylines for them. I'm still upset we haven't seen their first kiss.
                    They kiss "on screen" twice during "Retreat" actually, but since then, you'd think they were just whacky roommates.
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                      They kiss "on screen" twice during "Retreat" actually, but since then, you'd think they were just whacky roommates.
                      I believe that they also make out at Buffy's party in 9.01.

Comment

Originally posted by Dipstick View Post
                        I believe that they also make out at Buffy's party in 9.01.
                        Ah, yes. And it's at least implied that they actually do have sex since it was the believable feigning of same that chased Buffy out of the apartment in 8.40. Of course, I'd have rather it have just been actual same that chased her out. I was expecting something a bit more 8.34/8.37 out of this relationship given what's been the norm of romance in the comic continuations, both from Dark Horse and IDW.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                          Ah, yes. And it's at least implied that they actually do have sex since it was the believable feigning of same that chased Buffy out of the apartment in 8.40. Of course, I'd have rather it have just been actual same that chased her out. I was expecting something a bit more 8.34/8.37 out of this relationship given what's been the norm of romance in the comic continuations, both from Dark Horse and IDW.
                          I don't know from comic continuations, but I think it's weird on its own to have a Xander-ship where Xander ISN'T presented as a deeply sexual, passionate person. If it was Xander/Anya, there would ACTUALLY be plenty of real sex noises. No need to pretend!

Comment

I don't read the comics, so I haven't gotten to read/see what canon Dander is like. However, I really liked the idea of it when I first heard about it in Season 8. They had some beautiful moments in Season 7, and it made sense for them to get together, for me...

Comment

I quite liked Anya but I wasn't keen on her and Xander as a romantic couple, the constant 'orgasms galore' talk was tacky and its magnitude and consistency lessened them from what they could have been I think. Dawn isn't that sort of character and never has been so it doesn't surprise me that there is a distinct difference there.

I'm quite amused that everyone seems to feel a need to see their sex life beyond it being implied. Kissing and in a relationship progresses to them living together and sharing a bed is pretty clear enough, in fact it is nice that it isn't being portrayed as sex based to be honest. I would have thought the spacefrak would have put anyone off. I mean I love a bit of Spike action in the show but the 'fantasy' Buffy had post frak of him was feh artwork. I don't think beyond the smoochies/emotional facial close ups seems to be represented well in comic art, not that I've seen so far. No doubt there will be more instances drawn and maybe I will stand corrected, but I doubt it.

Do we know that the kiss Buffy witnessed in S8 wasn't the Xander/Dawn first kiss? I can't remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X