While watching a Buffy/Angel episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While watching a Buffy/Angel episode

Do you ever get nostalgic depending on the year of the episode? When I re-watched seasons 1-3 it brought me back to my Jr. High School years, and Season 5 reminded of summer vacation and early High School.
    325 posts to go til signature

Absolutely.

My favourite period for nostalgia is S1 as it brings back so many memories of my childhood. I have such vivid memories of that time that I can remember Welcome to the Hellmouth airing and being absolutely captivated by it. The first I saw the Master’s face I shrieked with delight and I was in awe of Buffy as she dusted Thomas and battled Luke. I had never seen a show like it before and I was hooked by the episode’s cliff-hanger as Luke leant in to bite Buffy. Our local TV station aired The Harvest the following night and I never looked back. I was 7 at the time BtVS first started and it originally began screening in Australia during the summertime at 7:30pm. Every week I would anticipate the new episode (Monday night = Buffy night) and my sister and I would watch it religiously. I can recall having to go to a family friend’s house for dinner the night Never Kill A Boy On The First Date aired and I was so upset I was missing it. I rushed home and caught the last few minutes of Buffy tossing the vampire into the incinerator. Every time I rewatch S1 and hear the original theme song (before it was re-recorded for S3) and see the original Buffy title (before the change of font) it brings back memories of warm summer nights, school holidays, me “battling vampires” on my trampoline, and the happiness of childhood.

By the time S2 started airing I had learnt how to use the video recorder and would tape every episode so I could relive them again and again. I remember that there was a long break between episodes after Inca Mummy Girl aired so I watched that episode repeatedly for weeks. We had another break after Halloween and my sister and I watched that episode so much we could recite the entire Spike/Dru scene word-for-word (“eyeballs to entrails, my sweet”) and did so every time we watched it. I can recall being incredibly frightened as I was watching Innocence and I had to look away during the scene when Buffy goes to Angel’s apartment. When she embraced him I was sure he was going to attack her and bite the unsuspecting Buffy on the neck and I left the room to “get a drink” because I couldn’t watch it I remember being stunned after I saw Passion as that was quite traumatic for a 7/8 year old. Then during the school holidays I have fond memories of my father taking me to the video shop so I could rent tapes of any episodes I might have missed (by then BtVS had moved to 10:30pm and that was a far later timeslot for a young kid) and I was on the edge of my seat whilst watching Becoming I & II.

I distinctly remember watching Phases and later The Wish at my friend’s beach house. Afterwards we snuck into his dad’s shed and made wooden stakes with his saw

In S6 I was so excited for new episodes to air that I had my first encounter with online fandom. I discovered the official UPN site for the show and remember being stunned by a picture of Buffy/SMG where half her face was a skeleton. I have never found that image again but I can remember it so vividly in my head. I had gotten the impression Buffy was going to be resurrected like that and would have a half human/half skeleton face for the remainder of the series When OMWF aired I loved the musical so much that I could recite all the songs within a couple of days and I just had to talk about it. I went onto the old Bronze Chatforums and began typing out all the lyrics to the songs. I’m sure it was of great annoyance to other fans (I was young!) but I just had to boast of my impressive BtVS knowledge. To my surprise/delight/annoyance others knew all the lyrics as well, and could type them even faster than me, and I remember that experience well. I stayed off chat forums until years later but at that time I discovered Buffyworld and began watching promos for upcoming episodes (that would not air until weeks later in Australia) and would read the transcripts too. I did that throughout the remainder of S6 and all during S7.

I still remember taping each episode (as I wasn’t allowed to be up that late) and I would rush home from school the following day so I could watch the new episode. I can recall being incredibly excited when Lessons aired and I snuck out of bed to watch the episode at 10:30pm. I had to watch the entire thing with no sound so my parents would not wake up and it wasn’t until the next day that I could rewatch it and actually follow what was happening! I still remember being so giddy when I saw The First take the form of all the previous Big Bads and that, too, was another scene I knew off by the heart by the time the new episode aired the following week. I also recall the night Chosen aired and I was so sad but incredibly excited to watch it. I remember whispering “goodbye Anya” as she died… which is kind of hilarious now that I think about it I think I must have rewatched that episode about 100 times the following week.

In 2004 I began reading the discussions on the Buffyworld forums shortly after AtS had ended. It wasn’t until 2005 that I joined and began participating in the threads and the rest is history.

So for me, a lot of fond memories! But S1 definitely holds a special place in my heart. It is just intrinsically linked to my childhood and all the special memories I have of that time. That’s why Buffy, Xander and Willow all hold such a special place in my heart and I care for them more than other characters too. When I think of my earliest BtVS-memories and think of those three characters and it feels like I grew up with them. Buffy in particular is a character who I have looked up to my entire life. When I was a young kid I would play with my Spiderman action figures imagining they were her. I doubt I will ever have this kind of relationship with another show again because it's pretty impossible to replicate given the time I began watching it in my life. I doubt I will ever become involved in another fandom or be as obsessed with another series like I am with BtVS.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 03-07-12, 09:05 AM.
    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Prophecy Girl was on I was 13 and finishing up my elementary school life, so it reminds me of when I flipped through the channels and saw Btvs was on and thought "is it that 1992 movie?" it was even better having just seen The Master kill Buffy and then make a snark comment about the dress

Also looking at the little things, background posters, clothing/hairstyles, things in Buffy's room, food/snack bags/packages really reminds me of "back in the day"! I think though my bond is the tightest with Buffy Season 5 and Angel season 4, since I watch Buffy (I loved Glory when I first saw her) and I caught Angel beating the crap out of Faith alongside a rock monster and had no CLUE as to what was going on...and then this full grown woman pops out of Cordelia >_> The little things too like the clothes, the computer that Cordelia/Fred uses in the Hyperion reminds me of my early High School years (especially since all of the computer lab comps switched to Apple macs in my school that year :P)

Comment

Yes. I was 12 years old. Just starting High School (UK we start younger) and some boy that I really had a crush on kept saying how he had a crush on Buffy so that night I tuned in to see what all the hubub was about this girl and this show.

Its safe to say I was hooked on it from that very moment. I was amazed. I think I just tuned in after "Go Fish"

It really helped me get through some tough times in school with bullies, she was my role model. She still is LOL.
        Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
        the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Comment

First off, maybe the thread title should be changed because I assumed this was a thread about nostalgia for Buffy/Angel the relationship.

I was in 7th grade when BtVS begin and I was in my second year of college when it ended. The only nostalgia I get is for the quality of the writing and acting on a network TV show and for how smart the show is.

For me, the only show that came close is Battlestar Galactica -- which I watched when the show was already over. It was in 2007 or 2008. But that show became not as good simply because of the whole
          Spoiler:
          'God' directing things.

So, my nostalgia is for the greatness of the TV show. I also get nostalgia for a show that was able to be so sexy and show sex scenes without any of it seeming gratuitous and not for story. Like it seems that the best episodes of Game of Thrones are the ones that didn't have sex scenes. And BSG didn't need to actually show nudity in the sex scenes and one still got the point.

And I miss the storytelling. And how the relationships made sense (other than Giles' behavior in BtVS S7).

I became very disappointed -- and stopped watching the show -- when Gossip Girl decided
          Spoiler:
          to hook up Serena and Nate and hook up Dan and Vanessa simply because that happened in the books and some of those book readers wanted it to happen in the show.
          It didn't make sense given how the show presented the relationships. And Dan deciding not to go to
          Spoiler:
          Yale
          also made no sense given that's the whole reason why his parents were sending him to the school he was going to.

And The Vampire Diaries completely messed up the Triangle and while I stopped watching because of the whole Caroline/Klaus thing that made no sense, I still read the Price Peterson recaps and it seems things were retconned to advance Elena/Damon and that those retcons are incredibly stupid. Plus, while in ways Elena/Stefan in TVD S1 and S2 was better and more interesting than Buffy/Angel, that was no longer true in TVD S3 because it's like they have Elena bifurcating Stefan as Buffy bifurcated 'Angel' and 'Angelus' expect it's stupid because Elena knows that that evil Stefan is part of who Stefan is, not some kind of separate entity. And Elena/Damon will simply never come close to comparing to Buffy/Spike and Damon will never never come close to comparing to Spike.

Comment

Nope. Apart from 2 mins once or twice I hadn't seen any of them until I got the whole lot in a box set for Christmas 2009.

I feel very passionately about how great Jan-Feb 2010 was though as I watched them all in 2 months (including on one occasion never going to bed and my husband laughing himself silly when he got up the next morning and I was still sat in the living room watching them). So actually, I suppose, yeah I do get nostalgia just not year dependant.
            Last edited by Stoney; 05-07-12, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Mogs, your story is so close to me. I just want to say that I'm sure that I will never become involved in another fandom or be as obsessed with another series like I am with BtVS. I mean, I watch so many tv shows. My favorite, aside BTVS and ATS are Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries, but they can't touch my heart.I just watch the new episode and then I forget about it. There is no such a character like Buffy, Willow, Spike , Angel, Cordy, Giles and Xander which I can feel like my real friends, to feel them so close to me and to love them so much. I may enjoy the another TV show , but I will never love another tv show like Buffy. I find this show so clever, so real about the problems of the real life, the question about the relationship between the people , the problems about hate and love, life and death, wrong and right. I never watch so deep and penetreating and wise show as BTVS is. It will stay in my heart forever. Now I even affraid to rewatch it, because the nostalgia is so big and the pain is hurting me very much.
              sigpic
              maked by plamivasi

Comment

It bring back memories!! A lot of memories!! The strongest memory comes form "out of sight, out of mind" the one with invisible Marcy, the first episode I watched. My sister had taped the show on a vhs. It wasn't labeled, I was home alone with my brother, so I decided to put it in, didn't rewind it, and there on the screen was Buffy, I think in the music room. The part where she first discovers Marcy's hiding place. When ever I see that part I go back to being a kid home along, and the awe I had of this strong, beautiful women on the TV. And the rebellion I felt of watching the show I wasn't allowed to watch at the time!
                And watching the seasons brings up little memories, you know the kinds that have a little nagging feeling. Like when I watch OMWF, I am reminded of my best friend at the time yelling "where did Willow go?!?! Where did she go!?!!?" it was in 10th grade I think.
                Or how wen I am watching the season I feel like I need twizzles or if its in the morning an omelet and french toast cause that's what she and I ate when we would have sleep overs and watch Buffy!!
                If You fall off the stage legs extended and boobs up
                -Burlesque Tess(Cher)

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica M.C. View Post
                  Or how wen I am watching the season I feel like I need twizzles or if its in the morning an omelet and french toast cause that's what she and I ate when we would have sleep overs and watch Buffy!!
                  Which explains why anything that reminds me of my teenage years makes me want to consume copious amounts of cigarettes and alcohol.

Ah, cigarettes, how I miss thee. *sighs* (deeply as a reminder of a healthier lung capacity for the loss)

Comment

cannot express how much I love this topic

I'll be 23 in October and never watched a single second of Buffy until May of 2011, but I do get very specific nostalgia from each season, and most of it from long ago before I ever watched it. The first three seasons, one and two especially actually take me back to the time in my life that they were airing even though I never watched it. I wish I could write about it but the words never seem to do justice. There's a very specific vibe that's captured even in the first seconds of Welcome to the Hellmouth that encapsulates so many things I can scarcely wrap my mind and heart around it all at once. This probably isn't going to help at all but it's perfect within these two pictures as well. aaaghhgh. This is getting weird.

Season 4 sends me back to summer 99, spending all my time at home in virtual Hyrule and all my time at daycare in imaginary Hyrule with my best friend. 5-7 is where it gets weird and I'm still trying to figure them out.

Comment

Originally posted by pfr_77 View Post
                      cannot express how much I love this topic

I'll be 23 in October and never watched a single second of Buffy until May of 2011, but I do get very specific nostalgia from each season, and most of it from long ago before I ever watched it. The first three seasons, one and two especially actually take me back to the time in my life that they were airing even though I never watched it. I wish I could write about it but the words never seem to do justice. There's a very specific vibe that's captured even in the first seconds of Welcome to the Hellmouth that encapsulates so many things I can scarcely wrap my mind and heart around it all at once. This probably isn't going to help at all but it's perfect within these two pictures as well. aaaghhgh. This is getting weird.

Season 4 sends me back to summer 99, spending all my time at home in virtual Hyrule and all my time at daycare in imaginary Hyrule with my best friend. 5-7 is where it gets weird and I'm still trying to figure them out.
                      This! I think despite our age gap (6 or so years) I totally connect with what you are describing! I get the same vibe/feeling from watching early season 1 of Angel, any scenes out and about in Los Angeles showing the boardwalk or the streets, and the same goes for Buffy.

I didn't watch the series religiously like I should have, in fact I only really watched bits & pieces of season 2,3, & 4 and most of 5 and some of 7 before I got the complete box set for Christmas 2010. Even season 7 (2002-2003) holds significance because I was in my last year of High School (Dawn was in her first) and I remember discussing Buffy and Angel with friends at school and asking them about things I did not understand like Tara (before I saw all of S4 and got to know how wonderful she is) and wondered who she was and if she was always mentally challenged (from after the brain drain episode in S5), and wondered about what happened to Oz and why he wasn't with Willow anymore, what the heck is an ubervamp? I even find myself googling some of the name brand shirts I see the scoobies wearing at times (Willow's 'Bunny's dog walking service' shirt and Xander's 'I heart digging' long sleeved sports shirt' - an idea for another topic? )

Comment

Working...
                      X