No announcement yet.

Her smile a bowl to catch her tears...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Her smile a bowl to catch her tears...

ETA: Seeing that the discrepancies between the two lists (the one from the scripts and the one from posters' memories) is significant indeed, I'll start to incrementally update this post based on the actual episodes.

Prompted by a question from TimeTravellingBunny, I looked up all instances of crying in the Buffy scripts. Specifically, I searched for occurrences of "choke", "cry", "grief", "mourn", "sob", "tear", "weep", and derivations of thereof.

These results do include off-screen crying indicated by makeup instructions like reddened eyes or tear-stained faces. Also included are cases in which the characters are compelled to cry by magical or other means; those cases are italicized. Excluded are instances of not-quite-crying, indicated by stage instructions like "(fighting back tears)" or "(voice quavering)".

As always, I need to add the disclaimer that a few of these may occur only in the scripts and not in the actual episodes.

NB: The numbers following the character names indicate how often each name globally appears in the scripts. That should be a reasonable indicator of how much total screen time a given character had, which in turn should be a reasonable basis to gauge whether a given characters cried relatively often or only rarely.

Buffy (16377)
    • "Teacher's Pet" - sorrow - cries a bit when the teacher who believed in her is found dead
    • "Nightmares" - upset - when Nightmare!dad tells her it's her fault he left & he doesn't want to visit anymore
    • "Prophecy Girl" - upset - weeps loudly when she learns she will die
    • "Prophecy Girl" - relief - once the Master is dead

• "When She Was Bad" - relief - after she's cathartically smashed the Master's bones
    • "Halloween" - fear - because Lady Buffy wants to go home
    • "Surprise" - sorrow - on the docks when Angel is supposed to leave for a couple of months
    • "Surprise" - relief - at Angel's place because he won't be leaving after all
    • "Innocence" - relief/upset - at Angel's, when he reappears/when he dumps her
    • "Innocence" - sorrow - after she's learned that Angel has gone evil (a lot)
    • "Innocence" - affection - when Giles tells her she hasn't lost his respect
    • "I Only Have Eyes For You" - upset - possessed by James
    • "Becoming" - relief/sorrow - when Angel regains his soul/when she has to skewer him anyway

• "Dead Man's Party" - upset - during the fight with Joyce and her friends at the party
    • "Beauty and the Beasts" - relief - when Angel drops to the floor and hugs her legs
    • "Amends" - upset - when she's trying to stop Angel from committing suicide
    • "Helpless" - sorrow - when she learns that Giles betrayed her
    • "The Zeppo" - fear - when she's with Angel and thinks the end is nigh
    • "Consequences" - upset - when she reveals Faith's secret to Willow
    • "Doppelgangland" - relief - when Willow isn't dead after all
    • "The Prom" - sorrow - when/after Angel breaks up with her (a lot)

• "Doomed" - sorrow - as she walks away from the preemptive break-up with Riley

• "Fool For Love", in the end
    • "Listening To Fear", because of Joyce
    • "Into The Woods", in the end
    • "Triangle", because of Riley (a lot)
    • "The Body", because of Joyce's death
    • "Forever", because of Joyce's death
    • "Spiral", in the end
    • "The Weight Of The World", in the end
    • "The Gift", out of despair
    • "Life Serial", out of frustration
    • "Dead Things", in the end
    • "Hell's Bells", because of Xander (tears of joy)
    • "Normal Again", in the end
    • "Seeing Red", because of Spike
    • "Villains", because of Tara's death
    • "Grave", laughing/crying with Giles
    • "Grave", in the end
    • "Bring On The Night", in the end
    • "Touched", because of everyone

Giles (5024)
    • "Grave", laughing/crying with Buffy

Willow (7347)
    • "The Pack" - upset - after Xander is Hyena-horrible to her for the first time

• "Betwitched, Bothered & Bewildered" - sorrow - because she can't have Xander

• "Dead Man's Party" - upset - during the fight with Buffy at the party
    • "Passion" - sorrow - when Giles calls and tells them about Jenny
    • "Lovers Walk" - fear - when Spike threatens her with the broken bottle
    • "Consequences" - sorrow - after she finds out about Xander's tryst with Faith

• "Wild At Heast" - sorrow - after finding Veruca in Oz's cage
    • "Wild At Heast" - fear - when Veruca threatens her life
    • "Something Blue" - sorrow - when she finds out Oz sent for his stuff
    • "New Moon Rising" - sorrow - when saying good-bye to Oz

• "Tough Love", because of Tara's lobotomy
    • "The Gift", because of Buffy's death
    • "Bargaining", when she thinks they failed
    • "After Life", in the end
    • "Once More With Feeling", in the end
    • "Tabula Rasa", because of Tara
    • "Wrecked", because life sucks
    • "Seeing Red", because of Tara's death
    • "Grave", in the end
    • "Lessons", in the beginning
    • "Same Time, Same Place", out of fear (a lot)
    • "Same Time, Same Place", out of relief
    • "Help", at Tara's grave
    • "Conversations With Dead People", because of Cassie/First
    • "The Killer In Me", out of fear
    • "The Killer In Me", out of relief
    • "Empty Places", because of Xander's eye
    • "Chosen", during the spell

Xander (6740)
    • "Lovers Walk" - fear - when he's afraid Cordy may not survive her injury

• "Normal Again", because of Anya
    • "Seeing Red", in the end
    • "Villains", because of Buffy's survival (tears of joy)

Angel (1646)
    • "I Only Have Eyes For You" - upset - possessed by Miss Newman

• "Beauty and the Beasts" - relief - when he drops to the floor and hugs Buffy's legs
    • "Amends" - upset - when Buffy is trying to stop him from committing suicide
    • "The Zeppo" - fear - when he's with Buffy and thinks the end is nigh

Anya (2343)
    • "Into The Woods", in the end (tears of joy)
    • "All The Way", because of Xander (tears of joy)
    • "Hell's Bells", because of Xander (a lot)
    • "Entropy", because of Xander
    • "Grave", out of fear (a lot)
    • "Selfless", in the end

Cordelia (1358)
    • "Some Assembly Required" - fear - when she's about to be vivisected by Dr Frankenstein
    • "Homecoming" - fear - in the cabin, afraid for he life
    • "The Wish" - sorrow - when she's burning photographs of Xander

Dawn (2359)
    • "Blood Ties", because she's The Key
    • "The Body", because of some boy
    • "Forever", because of Joyce's death (a lot)
    • "Tough Love", because of Tara's lobotomy
    • "The Weight Of The World", out of fear
    • "The Gift", out of fear (a lot)
    • "Bargaining", because of the Buffybot's "death"
    • "Bargaining", in the end (a lot)
    • "All The Way", in the end
    • "Tabula Rasa", under a spell
    • "Tabula Rasa", because of Tara
    • "Dead Things", because of Buffy
    • "Two To Go", out of fear
    • "Grave", in the end
    • "Help", because of Cassie's death
    • "Him", under a spell (a lot)
    • "Conversations With Dead People", because of Joyce/First

Faith (1181)
    • "Faith, Hope & Trick" - fear - when she tells Buffy about her first encounter with Kakistos

• "Who Are You" - upset - just before the switch-back

Joyce (1303)
    • "Band Candy" - upset - because "[t]he babies must be so scared"
    • "Gingerbread" - sorrow - when she finds the supposedly dead children

• "Shadow", out of fear
    • "Listening To Fear", out of fear

Spike (3456)
    • "Lovers Walk" - sorrow - because Drusilla left him (a lot)

• "Fool For Love", because of Cecily (as a human)
    • "After Life", in the beginning
    • "Lessons", because of his soul
    • "Beneath You", because of his soul
    • "Help", because of his soul
    • "Selfless", because of his soul
    • "Sleeper", because of his soul
    • "Showtime", out of relief

Tara (1156)
    • "Tough Love", out of fear
    • "Tough Love", lobotomized
    • "Spiral", lobotomized
    • "The Gift", lobotomized
    • "The Gift", out of relief
    • "After Life", in the end
    • "Tabula Rasa", because of Willow
    Last edited by kassyopeia; 07-10-11, 04:57 PM.

Originally posted by kassyopeia View Post
    Buffy (16377)
    • "Prophecy Girl", in the end
    • "When She Was Bad", in the end
    • "Halloween", under a spell
    • "Innocence", because of Angel
    • "Innocence", in the end
    • "I Only Have Eyes For You", under a spell
    • "Amends", in the end
    • "Helpless", because of Giles
    • "The Zeppo", out of fear
    • "Consequences", because of Faith
    • "Doppelgangland", because of Willow's "death"
    • "The Prom", because of Angel
    • "Beer Bad", because of Parker - and beer!
    • "Doomed", because of Riley
    • "Who Are You", in the beginning (in Faith's body)
    • "Fool For Love", in the end
    • "Listening To Fear", because of Joyce
    • "Into The Woods", in the end
    • "Triangle", because of Riley (a lot)
    • "Forever", because of Joyce's death
    • "Spiral", in the end
    • "The Weight Of The World", in the end
    • "The Gift", out of despair
    • "Life Serial", out of frustration
    • "Dead Things", in the end
    • "Hell's Bells", because of Xander (tears of joy)
    • "Normal Again", in the end
    • "Seeing Red", because of Spike
    • "Grave", laughing/crying with Giles
    • "Grave", in the end
    • "Bring On The Night", in the end
    • "Touched", because of everyone
    I don't remember some of these happening on screen, but it might be that they did and I just forgot it. For instance, I remember her being mopey over Parker, but not crying. I don't remember any crying in season 4, other than I Will Remember You (AtS, of course, but same year). Maybe it wasn't memorable...

Did Buffy cry in The Body? Wasn't there a big deal made about how she wasn't able to cry for a long time?

You missed Nightmares ("she's fighting tears"), Becoming II ("She tries not to cry") and Conversations with Dead People ("she's fighting back tears") - in all those cases there were tears on screen.

In other cases there were tears even though they weren't specified in the script, as in Beneath You or Chosen (of course, the Beneath You scene was very, very different in Petrie's original script!). Also, all the crying in Surprise - I guess Marti Noxon wasn't to blame!

Here's my earlier list of times I remember Buffy crying, with additions from other posters:

Season 1
    • Teacher's Pet: cries a bit when the teacher who believed in her is found dead
    • Nightmares: when her Nightmare!dad tells her it's her fault he left and that he doesn't want to keep seeing her anymore
    • Prophecy Girl: weeps loudly when she learns she will die

Season 2
    • When She Was Bad: after she's cathartically smashed the Master's bones
    • Surprise: on the docks when Angel is supposed to leave for a couple of months
    • Surprise: when she and Angel run away from the Judge, Spike and Dru and come to his place
    • Innocence: when Angel dumps her
    • Innocence: weeps on her bed after she's learned that Angel has gone evil
    • Becoming II: when she is about to send Angel to hell

Season 3
    • Dead Man's Party: She cries during the fight with Joyce and her friends at the party (vampmogs)
    • Beauty and the Beasts: She cries when Angel drops the floor and hugs her legs (vampmogs)
    • Amends - when she's trying to stop Angel from committing suicide
    • Helpless - when she learns that Giles betrayed her
    • The Prom - when Angel breaks up with her

Season 4 (AtS seaosn 1)
    • I Will Remember You: when she learns that Angel has agreed for the day to be turned back

Season 5
    • Out of My Mind: She cries when she confronts Riley in the caves (vampmogs)
    • Fool for Love: when she learns about her mother's illness
    • Shadow: She cries when she's washing dishes over Joyce's illness (vampmogs)
    • Triangle - after Riley leaves and she gets emotional talking to Tara at UC Sunnydale. It's mostly played for laughs though. (Andrew)
    • Forever: finally starts crying because of her mother's death when she and Dawn fall into each other's arms
    • Weight of the World: She cries when Willow finally snaps her out of her catatonia. (vampmogs)

Season 6
    • Dead Things: weeps when she's telling Tara about her relationship with Spike
    • Normal Again: She cries when she's staring at the picture of Joyce and Hank and wonders if she ever really left the mental institution. (vampmogs)
    • Seeing Red: during the attempted rape, and later after Spike leaves Xander finds her crying silently
    • Grave: teary eyed as she and Dawn hug and decide to crawl out of the grave

Season 7
    • Beneath You: in the church when she realizes Spike got his soul back
    • Conversations with Dead People: when she's telling Holden about her S6 relationship with Spike
    • Empty Places: She cries when everybody kicks her out and Faith follows her outside (vampmogs)
    • Touched: She cries during Spike's speech to her -- "What if I don't want to be the one?" (vampmogs)
    • Chosen: in the Hellmouth with Spike

Season 8
    Spoiler:
    • A Beautiful Sunset: when she's telling Satsu about her unhappy love life and how she's 'wrong' and people always leave her at the end
    • Retreat: in the hospital with Riley, talking about the disastrous battle and if it's possible to turn it around and defeat both the Twilight and the goddesses
    • Turbulence: during the conversation with Xander after he rejects her and tells her it wasn't right to come onto him after she saw him kissing Dawn (Jeanty's cover also shows her wiping a tear)
    • #33. She has tears in her eyes when she tells Xander that sucking power out of the slayers makes her feel like a vampire. (Sosa Lola)
    • #39: weeping on the floor after Giles is killed and after she smashed the Seed
    • #40: when Giles's will is read
    • #40: bursts into tears and runs back inside during the conversation with Spike on the fire escape

Spike (3456)
    • "Lovers Walk", because of Drusilla (a lot)
    • "Fool For Love", because of Cecily (as a human)
    • "After Life", in the beginning
    • "Lessons", because of his soul
    • "Beneath You", because of his soul
    • "Help", because of his soul
    • "Selfless", because of his soul
    • "Sleeper", because of his soul
    • "Showtime", out of relief
    Boy, the soul really did make him weepy at first!
    I don't remember if he cried because of Cecily, but in Fool for Love he cried after Buffy told him "You're beneath me" and threw the money at him.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure how much use these are, after all. To take just the first item, the script for "Prophecy Girl" asks her to "nearly crack[]" and be "near tears" after she overhears Giles and Angel, and then to "burst[] out crying" when the Master is finally dead. In the episode, there are definitely more tears in the first case than in the second.

I wonder if this is, at least partly, because most actors can't cry on cue and so have to use some sort of mild eye irritant (like onions) to get the tears flowing, and getting the dose just right for what the script describes is bound to be hit-and-miss?

I did notice right away that a lot of the instances you and the other posters found most memorable weren't on the lists, and was planning to go back later and see if that's at least in part due to our having missed another obvious search term.
      Last edited by kassyopeia; 01-10-11, 05:50 AM.

Comment

For Angel and Cordelia, we should add the times (if any) they cried on AtS. I don't remember, but it must have happened some time?

Faith definitely cried at the end of Five to Five when she breaks down and begs Angel to kill her and when he hugs her.

I'm not surprised that Buffy, Willow and Dawn seem to cry most often. Of course, Buffy gets to suffer a lot so there are many scenes of heartbreak, and SMG does crying and pain so well. I love that Buffy fits the "masculine" tropes so well as a Slayer, having this power and attitude of a traditionally "masculine" hero, but at the same time she's definitely a girl and unapologetically "girly" in so many ways - in her attention to clothes and makeup, in her romantic and sexual desires, and last but not least the way her intense emotions often show in tears, even in the seasons when she's notorious by not normally showing her feelings.

I remember a video someone posted on LJ where they mocked the "manpain" in TV dramas - the habit of showing male heroes cry or mope only because of things like the fate of the world or the deaths of people that they were close to or felt responsible for, as if that's the only times a MAN is allowed to cry. (There are exceptions, like Picard or Crichton from Farscape, who get to cry or suffer because of things that happen to them personally, like being tortured etc.) Buffy herself, with all her responsibility and guilt over not saving everyone or over people getting killed/hurt because of their association with her, seems like she could be an an example of "womanpain", but looking at the list, most of the time she's crying for personal reasons, which makes her more real and relatable.
        Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 01-10-11, 09:55 AM.
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Okay, I started updating the OP, just the first season so far.

The crying in "Teacher's Pet" isn't mentioned in the script it all. It makes complete sense, though, Giles wouldn't be solicitously bringing her a glass of water if she hadn't been displaying a physical rather than just a psychological reaction.

It seems useful to me to roughly classify the emotional state for each instance, in addition to describing the circumstances. While putting together the list yesterday, I realized that pretty much any emotion can make a person cry, it just has to be strong enough. It's probably obvious, I just never thought about it before. That being said, I think six categories forming three pairs of opposites should do for our purposes:

sad/happy - fear/relief - pain/ecstasy

The only kind of tears that doesn't fit into that scheme are those from laughing too hard - but we may just want to disregard those altogether, since it seems to me that those aren't really caused by the emotion itself but more a natural byproduct of the anatomical process of laughter. Sort of like sweating due to exercise, as opposed to sweating due to being nervous.

Tears of anger would count, but that case simply didn't come up. Maybe because our characters are all quite proactive (with pep!), so they tend to just run off and do something stupid before they get to that point.

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
          For Angel and Cordelia, we should add the times (if any) they cried on AtS. I don't remember, but it must have happened some time?
          Cordelia cries every other episode once the visions start getting worse, i.e. all of season two and the first half of season three. Seems hardly fair to count those, though, who wouldn't be crying after suffering along with a guy who kills himself by sticking a knife in his eye?

SMG does crying and pain so well
          Really? I always found Hannigan to be head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in this regard. Her terror when Spike threatens her with the broken bottle in "Lovers Walk" or when Glory drags her across the floor in "Tough Love" is completely infectious.

Comment

Originally posted by kassyopeia View Post
            Really? I always found Hannigan to be head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in this regard. Her terror when Spike threatens her with the broken bottle in "Lovers Walk" or when Glory drags her across the floor in "Tough Love" is completely infectious.
            Just because Alyson was great in playing Willow being emotional doesn't mean that some others weren't as great playing their characters, like SMG or James Marsters? Why, you think SMG wasn't convincing when Buffy was in pain?

What we are affected the most is an individual thing. When I think of Willow's emotional moments, I would never think of those two, probably because I don't relate to people showing fear that way. I would first think of moments when she's hurt, angry and resentful.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
              Why, you think SMG wasn't convincing when Buffy was in pain?
              I'm not sure, I've never really thought about it. Generally speaking (and to give myself a little time to ponder ), my evaluation is that Gellar and Hannigan improved a lot over the course of the early seasons, especially in portraying negative emotions. With Brendon, the change was less pronounced, but that may simply be due to Xander being less overtly emotional due to being a guy.

Throughout the later seasons, Gellar and Hannigan gave solid performances, but there were relatively few truly outstanding moments, and there were also a few things for both of them which they never really mastered.

Okay, now that I have reflected on it for a little while, I'm going to say that yes, pain is something Gellar does do convincingly: "Helpless", for example, is a great episode on all counts, and her breakdown in "I Will Remember You" is very affecting indeed (Boreanaz obviously thought so too, or he wouldn't have got carried away trying to comfort her, calling her "Sarah" instead of "Buffy").

An example of something she doesn't do well at all, IMO, is being flustered - and since that's as true in Ringer as it was in Buffy, it's probably going to remain one of her faults.

Neither of them has quite the calibre of a Jennifer Garner in Alias, say, whose every emotional scene was a treat.

What we are affected the most is an individual thing.
              Naturally.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't think I got those categories quite right the first time 'round. Version two:

sorrow/ecstasy - upset/affection - fear/relief

OP updated: Second season.

In "Surprise", Buffy's crying at the docks is only referred to as "trying hard not to lose it" in the scripts, which the search had no hope of catching. Her crying again in Angel's room later on isn't mentioned at all, and one might even make the case that she's not really crying at all but just wet and shivery because she just got soaked (again)... I agree with TTB though, there seems to be crying on top of that.

OP updated: Third season.

"Dead Man's Party" slipped through by using "getting overwhelmed", "breaking down", and "losing it" again. Except for Buffy herself, this seems to be the season where everyone starts crying a lot.

OP updated: Fourth season.

It's not conclusive, but Buffy does seem to cry in "Doomed", just as the script
                says. There isn't the usual well-lit close-up portrait take to show off the tears, but her facial expression as she walks towards the camera looks too strained to be anything short of quiet sobbing, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X