Re-watching Angel more than Buffy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-watching Angel more than Buffy

There's always lots of re-watches of the shows but does anyone else like me find themselves rewatching Angel more than Buffy. The Whedon speak is less noticable on that show and despite its flaws feels a bit more adult in the content. Obviously things are taken more seriously on Angel than on Buffy where its always had that tongue in cheek and meta comments.
    But I can go back and watch say Season 5 of Angel but really struggle with Season 7 of Buffy. Does anyone else have that ?

I only struggle with re-watches of season 7 because, well, it's season 7 and not because of 'Whedon speak'. I love AtS but admit I don't re-watch it as much as Buffy.

Comment

I don't think things are taken more seriously on Angel. It just has a darker tone with a focus perhaps on getting through despite being pulled down by experiences rather than getting through with a more positive tone/perspective. I don't think that's about being more serious (or sometimes people say more adult), the themes in both are serious with mature topics covered. But the overall tones contrast somewhat. But in a way that makes sense, when you consider the starting points of the protags.

Anyway, in answer to the original post/thread topic, I don't watch either more than the other because I always watch chronologically and the two shows together S4 onwards. I love Buffy more and if I was only going to watch one I'd choose that, but I enjoy watching both and would opt to watch them both each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
        I only struggle with re-watches of season 7 because, well, it's season 7 and not because of 'Whedon speak'. I love AtS but admit I don't re-watch it as much as Buffy.
        I was speaking about the last 2 seasons as overall examples but I hear what your saying about S7 though
        There are some parts of Angel i definitely skip like the God awful pylea arc or She and Expecting from S1 but overall I can watch it

Comment

I don't really rewatch either show and was never a big fan of the final BtVS seasons in the first place. So I don't really share your experience.

But I do think that Ats might feel a bit less dated. Sure, there is no way that a show in 2020 would cast nearly only white people and kill all female main characters. But otherwise it would fit right in with tv today. Byronic heroes or antiheroes as main characters are quite popular these days, Angel being immortal and very old makes him feel a bit more timeless (less popculture references, no fashionable wardrobe) and the way the characters talk is less characteristic, like you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            I don't think things are taken more seriously on Angel. It just has a darker tone with a focus perhaps on getting through despite being pulled down by experiences rather than getting through with a more positive tone/perspective. I don't think that's about being more serious (or sometimes people say more adult), the themes in both are serious with mature topics covered. But the overall tones contrast somewhat. But in a way that makes sense, when you consider the starting points of the protags.

Anyway, in answer to the original post/thread topic, I don't watch either more than the other because I always watch chronologically and the two shows together S4 onwards. I love Buffy more and if I was only going to watch one I'd choose that, but I enjoy watching both and would opt to watch them both each time.
            Angel has a darker tone as it takes itself more seriously whereas Buffy never did. "Its lucky no one ever checked out any of these books" "yes very convenient" Stuff like that
            Its why Angel has one Apocalypse and Buffy has one every other week.

Comment

I don't see it like that. Yes Buffy jokes in a way that AtS often doesn't, but they don't lack serious themes/plots. It's just that struggling with the burden of being the slayer isn't the same as struggling with the burden of being a souled vampire. Different tones, but both address mature issues. I'm sure you could find examples in both shows where they brush things aside as if they don't matter because it is easier and they don't intend to address it. Angel's and Eve's hook up comes to mind and both shows did that kind of thing repeatedly. This is a tangent though, a topic for another thread perhaps.

Comment

Well, I watched AtS only once and had a real struggle with it, whereas I can always watch BtVS, especially later seasons and never get bored with it.
                I don't agree with the statement that AtS takes itself more seriously, BtVS deals with serious themes too and that's where the most criticism for the show comes from. Many people don't like the later seasons, saying that's not how Buffy or other characters behave and that the show became too dark in the final seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by redtent View Post
                  Well, I watched AtS only once and had a real struggle with it, whereas I can always watch BtVS, especially later seasons and never get bored with it.
                  I don't agree with the statement that AtS takes itself more seriously, BtVS deals with serious themes too and that's where the most criticism for the show comes from. Many people don't like the later seasons, saying that's not how Buffy or other characters behave and that the show became too dark in the final seasons.
                  You see I don't know how anyone can take the Magic is a drug metaphor, with Buffy catching Amy stealing Sage and take that seriously

Compare that to Ats and say Angel struggling with Fatherhood and there is a difference

Comment

• redtent
                    redtent commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe it would be fair to take something comparable, like Buffy struggles with depression and Angel struggles with being a father.

I tend to rewatch Angel more often because I like certain aspect of its brand of complexity. Buffy is about challenges to her personal moral flexibility, and Spike is right in describing how he could always believe in Buffy. Buffy is a genuinely good person, even when tested. When she makes a mistake she takes responsibility.

Angel is definitely not a good person. He balances between demon and soul, and his personality has not changed in some key ways. Angel can take satisfaction in killing lawyers in a wine cellar, and at the same time care deeply about people he cares about. He needs to be in control (the big swingy swaggering about), he constantly takes away the agency of those with them (But nothing is yours). It's part of why I like Spike in season 5 - he sees Angelus in Angel.

Angel's tension is internal, and it's a crap shoot whether his decision will be moral.

Also, I love Wesley. Both of these characters went from the light into the dark which is a more interesting complexity for me.
                  Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Working...
                  X