No announcement yet.

Reacting to Reactions! - BtVS Season 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really intrigued to see how he reacted now to find out what you thought flow. I'm likely to see one every 1-2 days, if I can fit it in, so hopefully will get to the season's finale by next weekend.

Have you watched Liam Catterson? I've heard a few people recommend him. I keep considering watching After Show Reactions and him, but I don't want to lose any of the four I'm already following and there aren't enough hours in the day to watch more really and still do any of the other things I'm supposed to be doing! I'd love to hear about someone else if you try any other S2 reactions though.

How much of Liam's have you watched? His reaction to Passion was great.

Comment

I have watched Liam start season 7. I think I caught up until Same Time Same Place.

I also follow Geeked Out Nation and I have just watched The Real Me. It is hilarious how annyoed he is about everyone pretending Dawn has always been around when we have never seen her before. He conceded that someone might have talked about her once in season 1 or season 2 but he literally couldn't get over it for the whole of the episode. He kept repeating "She just got here." He also was really mad that Dracula was kicked out in 5x1 and we got Dawn instead. He thought Dracula would become a very cool Big Bad for season 5.

Sorry, I didn't notice that there are two Liams. I am following Liam Duke, not Liam Catterson. I haven't watched one of Liam Catterson's reactions yet.

flow
      Last edited by flow; 20-09-20, 09:57 PM.
      ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Stoney flow Just jumping in: I'm really enjoying these 'reactions' to reactions ASR and Liam Catterson are two of my favourite reactors, though I found Catterson only more recently. I know you have a lot of reactors on your plate (!) but I'd recommend watching Catterson's reaction to just one episode - FFL - to see if you like him. He's currently on S5. He provides interesting thoughts on each episode and is very connected to the characters' and their journeys. ASR has finished the whole of the Buffyverse. I loved ASR because - similar to Liam Duke - she was very emotionally invested in the characters - she wasn't watching from a critical distance. Catterson offers fulsome thoughts at the end of each episode so you can jump in directly to where he's at currently in S5 if you like.

I love Van and Liam Duke for how thoughtful they are - though I discovered Van later. I know her earlier reactions seem a bit quieter, but her investment and thoughtfulness really pays off as she follows each season... It won't be long before Van and Liam Duke both finish Buffy S7 - they're both deep into the season now. (I'm working on posting the final parts of BY - apologies because RL is really challenging this month...but I saw this and just had to comment lol...)

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
          Sorry, I didn't notice that there are two Liams. I am following Liam Duke, not Liam Catterson. I haven't watched one of Liam Catterson's reactions yet.
          It's me causing confusion. It is Liam Duke I'm following (and his reaction to Passions I was recommending), but Liam Catterson I've heard of but haven't tried yet.

Geeked Out Nation's reaction to Real Me sounds really similar to what mine was when I first watched the show, grumbling away about just adding characters as if they've always been around.

SpuffyGlitz The problem I have with adding additional reactors is that a great part of the appeal of these for me is seeing how someone's opinions grow. So if I start watching any others I'll start again from Welcome to the Hellmouth. My fixation with chronology knows no bounds!! I'm wondering about picking up one or two others that have completed the series to watch from the start if I ever catch up with alley box. and failwhale. But maybe I should make myself watch a random one and see if I still like it, without having seen them in sequence. The idea of watching random episodes though just blows my tiny mind.

I might watch Welcome to for Liam Catterson, ASR and Geeked Out Nation. I don't know, I'm just becoming obsessed!

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
          I love Van and Liam Duke for how thoughtful they are - though I discovered Van later. I know her earlier reactions seem a bit quieter, but her investment and thoughtfulness really pays off as she follows each season... It won't be long before Van and Liam Duke both finish Buffy S7 - they're both deep into the season now.
          You're always welcome to jump in and post on any S2 reactors here. It's interesting to hear you say that van is worth keeping with as she is the only one I did briefly consider dropping because she's so quiet. But at the same time I like that about her, the moments she is reacting to the most stand out more for it.

(I'm working on posting the final parts of BY - apologies because RL is really challenging this month...but I saw this and just had to comment lol...)
          I'm really glad you dropped in and would love to hear your thoughts on any of these as we're going through, or others you are watching/liking too of course. Looking forward to the end of BY too, thanks for keeping with it even when there are plenty of other pressures on you.

Comment

Oh give Liam Catterson a go. I found him to be ever so sweet and very thoughtful of what he's watching. Also he's not as 'moody' as Duke can be on occasion.

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              I just resolved to wait and then read your post and instantly start thinking, well just watching the first can't hurt.

Stoney
            Geeked Out Nation's reaction to The Real Me sounds really similar to what mine was when I first watched the show, grumbling away about just adding characters as if they've always been around.
            If that was your reaction you just have to watch his

I can really recommend After Show Reacts. However, if you are already following four reactors and you have another three your interested in (ASR, Liam Catterson, and GON) you should maybe finish those you are following first and then start another round with the other three and anyone else who might have popped up until then.

flow

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              You're probably right or it will become a full time activity for me, just constantly watching people watching the show. To be fair, I can think of far worse ways to spend my time.

Personally I could never stand After Show. She never had anything particularly insightful to say, and that got worse as the series progressed and imo you could tell she was loosing interest, but as It got her a load of views she just kept going.

Comment

Sometimes it is just nice to see someone lost in the show though, even if they don't have anything of insight to say. alley box. sometimes makes observations that surprise me but mostly I don't expect that from her and it is her enthusiasm I enjoy. van too says far too little to offer new ideas/thoughts. And I get those from failwhale and Liam Duke, so it all creates a mix of styles I like. I will give Liam Catterson a go, but I'm not sure exactly when. If I did any soon it would make them very random and rare additions, but if I catch up with alley box. and failwhale I will get some more space between their reactions that it might be plausible to watch new ones.

EDIT: I just went and had a look and it seems that both alley box and failwhale's reactions to the S2 finale only went up four days ago. I'm pretty sure failwhale is into S3 on patreon but if the YouTube reactions are that far behind I'm going to catch up to them sooner than I thought.

Comment

Okay, I don't have much free time for these this week but I've dotted the next ep over the last couple of days to keep it moving. Hopefully I'll get another done by the weekend but it's looking like it'll definitely be next week before I hit the finale so alley box. and failwhale may well have posted into S3 on YouTube by then.

2.18 Killed by Death

alley box.
                I can understand feeling this was a little out of place this late on and that, after the last episode, Angel's entrance in the graveyard felt odd.

Nice to hear positives for Cordelia and her influence on trying to directly address Xander's ongoing feelings for Buffy. Appreciation for the creep factor of Der Kinderstod and Xander facing off against Angel are expected responses but nice to see. Her amusement and enjoyment of the last scene was funny. As were her very numerous moments of concern over hospital hygiene too!

I'm surprised she thought there were sparks between Giles and Joyce here. I don't remember thinking that at this stage. Probably because I was always so distracted by how accepting Joyce was that the school librarian was following her daughter around.

I enjoyed hearing her pondering at the end about whether it will turn out in hindsight that there were thematic links from this that will play against the future episodes, like she found Bad Eggs led into Buffy sleeping with Angel. It's great to see someone starting to expect the ties to be purposeful like this.

failwhale34
                As he talked at the start about finding Jenny's death 'shocking and impactful', wondering about the fallout from that and how people will react, I wondered if he'd be frustrated this episode mostly sets it to one side. But he liked some of the character interactions especially, Jenny's death is touched on of course, and seeing the support Buffy got.

I loved his response to Angel's cockiness walking into the hospital and his thoughts about that in comparison to souled Angel skulking around. Good response to Xander standing his ground again. Interesting that he thought they were behaving more grown up and linked that to experiencing tragedy, it having fast-tracking them. It's something that I think is definitely a factor for the characters when you think of the lives they are leading and why the times when you see them relax and be their ages are always nice. Times like alley box. commented on enjoying at the end of this episode in fact.

Very amused by his sweatbands/holy water idea. I don't think that would work, but it's funny he's getting things like that randomly springing to mind. I also thought it was really interesting that he thought the Marcie Ross programme of invisible assassins might have been involved briefly. So many fans talk about having wanted that plotline to have been revisited, I'd guess he's probably one.

I really enjoyed his reaction to Der Kinderstod, which he clearly found really creepy. His comments on the elements of the episode as a psychological thriller/horror he liked most were interesting and I can see his point that they could have made more of Buffy's memory of her cousin, which was a factor he'd liked. Not necessarily one he thinks he'll find memorable long term, but he clearly found it enjoyable to watch.

Liam Duke
                Liam mentions in the intro that he was told in the comments that originally it was supposed to be Oz that died in Passion. I've never heard that before.

Again, not a season favourite but he thought it was a solid episode and was totally creeped out by Der Kinderstod, as you'd expect.

I liked his comment on seeing contrast between Angel's dynamic with Spike against Buffy's support from her friends. It reminded me of the comparison PuckRobin drew to a villainous group's dynamics in his rewatch review for Dead Things (incredible review if you haven't read it). A lot of appreciation for the general premise of the plot/monster in this ep and getting a link to Buffy's past. Great thoughts about the tie through of dealing with 'death' following Passion and having lost a group member.

Nice to hear some more Joyce love and I'm glad he's enjoying Cordelia and Xander. I like the continuity in the times when Cordelia still prompts eye rolls at her thoughtless comments. She hasn't just changed like a switch has flipped.

van
                Well I was expecting her jump factor to get triggered in this episode and wasn't disappointed. I got the impression it was a welcome break for her and as the person that reacted most emotionally to Jenny's death it was interesting to see that appreciation for taking a step back momentarily as I think I've always seen the episode more as a disruptive break.

Everyone's finding hospitals creepy. I suppose they are when the corridors are deserted and monsters are prowling down the halls.

--

Really liking hearing the Xander love in these. There are times when he does deserve pulling up on his behaviour but there is some balance and moments of heroic bravery too and I like seeing people notice both and not just hate on a character. The best thing about these characters are that they are flawed but that we can also see their strengths and how they try too. A great episode for showing both sides of Cordelia as well. It's an interesting factor with both characters, Xander and Cordelia, that their less stellar traits are shown repeatedly in these early seasons as well as strengths. Not a reflection I've ever really thought about before, so that was interesting.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                  Double Dutchess commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Der Kinderstod is absolutely one of the creepiest Buffy monsters, for me only surpassed by The Gentlemen.

Double Dutchess

Ugh definitely. The eyes splurging out is grotesque. A couple of the reactors compared him to Freddy Krueger and I can see the similarities.

Gnarl is the scariest of the BtVS monsters for me because of how it immobilises you and takes its time, but that with Der Kinderstod and The Gentleman are certainly in a different class to the other MOTW characters.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, Gnarl is number 3 for me.

Getting close to the finale of S2 now!

2.19 I Only Have Eyes for You

alley box.
                Lots of appreciation for how the stories blended and the re-enactment the ghosts were performing but she was obviously a bit muddled by the message on who Buffy was forgiving. I assume the corrections she put in text over the reaction came from the conversations she had about the episode afterwards. Seeing the reflected struggle and conflict in the mix of emotions for Buffy was good, but her ongoing uncertainty towards Angel seemed to play a bit of a barrier there. I expect the sense of separation between him souled/unsouled is something that she'll greatly be led on by the other characters' responses in the end.

Definitely positive about seeing Synder again. Intrigue over his interaction with the police and the link to the Mayor. She's missing Oz but there was plenty of acknowledgment for other character moments. Liking Cordelia, Willow, sorrow for Giles and a great response to seeing Spike get up at the end. The tension in the vamp dynamics and where it might go is appealing to her.

failwhale34
                As he's not expecting any more random episodes from here I can't see him reacting favourably to Go Fish.

Hmmm, hoping Buffy gets some happiness. Not often, but some.

He's entertainingly taken aback by the whole drama of the ghostly possessions at first. Another quick jump again to wondering about invisible people Marci-style when the book falls in Snyder's office. Yep, I'm putting him in the 'wished it would have been revisited' group on that one.

The overlap of personal issues seemed to work well for him here for working through inner conflicts. Fair criticism of the manifestations, I'd agree they don't work so well and I can see how it disrupts the focus leading up to Buffy and Angel being possessed. But credit to the performances, particularly SMG and DB when it got there.

Everyone is having lots of the feels for Giles. The insight into how Giles is struggling that is given alongside everything else something he felt was noteworthy. Good comments on Willow and noticing factors about the character which are ones that'll play forward, so that's great to see. His response to Dru and the vampire dynamics/the potential for what is to come was great too.

He drew attention to the directing and score in particular shots again which I always find interesting in his reactions. I'm glad he's changed the balance between himself and the clip now he's back in his refurbed room.

Liam Duke
                His comments on the themes that ran through the episode and the blending of the motw story to move the main plot on were great. I liked that he called out the issues in the Grace/James relationship, although I don't think saying it is glorified is totally fair.

He did take issue with Xander questioning Buffy about dreaming of him experiencing, "the love of a woman? In a full body sense?" But he seems ready to see these scripting moments as showing that sometimes his character is just affected by the era it was written in. That's a factor too regarding the line about committing suicide, but he clearly found this quite affecting and wanted to talk honestly about how he disagrees with that and his own point of view. I like that he isn't poised to hate on the character though when these issues come up but consider it in context and also possibly just as his own differing take layered in too.

In contrast to failwhale's reaction, all the creepy moments of manifestations he really liked, even if he did find the wasps ridiculous.

I've found it fascinating how fixed everyone is in calling Angel 'Angelus' and really making the point of the distinction of the two names. I honestly don't remember ever feeling the name distinction bluntly as they all seem to and wonder how much that is driven from the discussions they are having as they watch rather than the scripting itself. Although there is a sense of separation in the show and Buffy's reference to the demon wearing her boyfriend's face that's killing her friends in this episode could be read to be confirming a separation. And there is to some degree, but I really don't think the show does that in a complete way because of how Angel before this point as well as when he's souled again (and Spike when he's souled) talk of their connection to their past too. I appreciate it is a murky area but I'm just finding it interesting that there is a real fixation with making sure they are using 'Angelus' during these reactions. It is just standing out to me.

No shock that Giles' emotional reactions, the on going impact of Jenny's death, and Willow's development and active involvement were positives of the episode for him. I thought his comments on the contrast of Giles/Jenny's story against the episode were good. Also not surprising that the possibilities interest him of what is going to happen with Angel and regarding the love triangle of the vamps with the reveal that Spike has healed at the end. And some more intrigue on the reveal around Snyder too.

Again the episode inspires some credit being given for the production as he talked of the editing and the mix between the present and flashbacks. Really just a lot of positive comments and love for this as a strong episode.

van
                This was a long reaction video for van, but it was still mostly the episode and not much chatter afterwards.

Considering whether Grace related to Angel too was interesting but I think it was just that she was caught into whomever James was engaging in the possession/replay. Questioning if Grace was actually even there too is a fair point, but I would assume it was her ghost. It makes sense to me if she was also tied to James and the location of her murder until they resolved what had happened.

Obviously you can draw links between Angel and Grace because of the resistance that Angel had felt initially to the relationship, the concern (which will come up again) of the difference of age and experience and that definitely reflects the situation with Grace. And of course there's the link of their love having killed them. We know there is hope for Angel coming back thanks to Jenny and this ability to return after death is what Angel gave Grace. It's so long since we looked at this episode in the rewatch, this was probably all picked apart then but it has been a while and I have a memory like a sieve sometimes, so I enjoyed revisiting considering the ties here.

Yep, everyone is wanting to see how things pan out between the vamps.

Interesting that in van's thanks at the end to those signed up to her Patreon she acknowledges After Show Reactions. I wonder if they were watching around the same time then.

Comment

Stoney
                  Interesting that in van's thanks at the end to those signed up to her Patreon she acknowledges After Show Reactions. I wonder if they were watching around the same time then.
                  Van started about four months after AfterShow Reacts had started but by the time van reached I Only Have Eyes For You she was already six months behind :-)

flow

Comment

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh okay, thanks. It's nice that ASR was supporting her and trying to help.

2.20 Go Fish

alley box.
                  She was so grossed out by the first shed skin, well entertaining.

Yes, why can't Buffy rant about someone trying to assault her. That reaction from the group was strange.

The literal biological changes obviously were asking for a big suspension of disbelief she struggled with somewhat. In contrast she found the sleazy, creepy behaviour of Cameron in the car almost too real. Great thoughts on the privilege the athletes expected and the school facilitated.

Plenty of Willow and Xander/Cordelia love. Glad to hear she feels she's turned around and come to really like Xander.

Interesting that she feels like they have forced Angel in to a few episodes for one off scenes when they could have used a regular vampire. She sees it makes sense for tormenting Buffy, but I can see how cropping up constantly and doing nothing does start to dilute the threat as much as reminding you of him.

failwhale34
                  His jumpy reaction to the cafeteria fish monster was great and I love that he backed Xander up in the common sense of fleeing. His response to Willow's determination to 'crack' Jonathan makes his fondness for the character really clear. His final thoughts again about her were really good. Is Willow going to be key in winning someone's heart for the show yet again?

Really enjoying the appreciation for Xander/Cordelia too and Cordelia's building regard for him. Everyone's responses to them is just making me enjoy them even more. The reaction to Buffy initially making to step away from Gage after Angel bit him was fascinating for exposing failwhale's expectations that have built of her heroism.

Another vote to give credit for the monster design. I tend to be less impressed by the ones that are still very humanoid (in contrast I think the Queller was great). So its interesting to hear where there is a consensus on liking other monster designs. I didn't dislike this one and thinking back on others do agree it is a strong one.

Not a favourite but there were plenty of thoughtful comments and positivity in what he had to say. He clearly enjoyed it and I liked his reaction to Snyder's parts, to Giles in the episode and to the overall premise. Interesting that he didn't feel the placement was off especially which I had incorrectly thought would bother him. Yes, he definitely responded to this far more positively than I'd anticipated.

Liam Duke
                  Interesting that in responding to some of the comments he got on IOHEFY he emphasises that he'd focussed on the Giles/Jenny aspects in great part because of his expectations that the situation with Angel will resolve and he'll get his soul back because he knows he gets his own show. I'd never really thought about, until watching these, how much of a spoiler knowing that happens plays against where things could go here. I'm glad I was ignorant of it when I watched as that not only widens the possibilities of how things might play out here but also the surprise of Angel returning in S3 (if you have accepted that he's just been obliterated at the end of S2). It'll be very interesting to see how Liam reacts to Angel getting sucked into Acathla when he's so certain at this point. Anyway, Go Fish...

I'm glad that he went into this with an open mind even though he'd heard it wasn't a fan favourite and has had that experience of loving an episode others criticise to help keep him from assuming he'll personally dislike any he's about to watch.

I loved his response during to the whole 'running away like a woman' exchange, "Buffy's a woman, I don't think she'd have run. Just sayin'."

I can see the classic Dr Who comment on the creature design. Definitely some creepy moments, but fair comments about the ending I think. So he was left feeling it was a little more out of place but still finding aspects to enjoy in it. Having that response to the placement of this episode but appreciating the twists and seeing the darker moments that had impact is probably more how I responded to this one. I liked that he finds the show relaxing because it entertains him, even episodes he likes less. Seeing moments of brilliance even if the episode generally felt somewhat ridiculous goes alongside feeling it's possible to find something in every episode. That's one of the things I love so much about this show.

I was pleased someone finally acknowledged the inclusion of Wentworth Miller. I was surprised that alley box. or failwhale didn't, but that could have just been lost in the edit for their YouTube vids. I haven't seen Prison Break but recognised him. I assume too that the famous people we see crop up now and then are just early in their careers.

How offended he is by the awful attitudes in the episode is great and I enjoyed his comments on this at the end but was surprised that he felt Snyder's attitude was too much to make sense. I can see that more with the coach. The theme of popularity and privilege appealed to him and the inclusion of the steroid usage. The exploration of Snyder he's looking for I don't think we ever really get, but obviously S3 will give him more on a lot of what he's probably looking for there.

The comedy of the episode appeals and Cordelia got some credit for her response to believing Xander had changed. Her efforts at integrating are giving balance for her continuing snark. It'll be so interesting to see how he responds to her greater return to negative defensive b*tching after the whole Xander/Willow of S3 when she used to bother him so much when that was what you mostly saw from her.

Another missing Oz and looking forward to the finale. He knows Spike becomes a major player in the show so that's also affecting his expectations, he might be surprised at his absence for S3. He seems to be very much enjoying the series.

van
                  She liked it well enough and seemed to react they way you would expect at the varying points. Again recognising Wentworth and talked afterwards about finding it interesting to see these actors before they become more well known on other shows. I've not seen Roswell so I didn't recognise Ford in Lie to Me.

Intending to have tissues reading for the finale is probably a good choice for her.

--
                  If I was recommending a reaction to this one I'd flag failwhale's. It was really good fun and he had some interesting thoughts at the end too. I tend to lean to seeing the episode more like Liam, but that difference made failwhale's reaction more interesting to me this time. I noticed as his vid ended that he has watched parts 1 and 2 together. As none of the others have done that, I'll watch the first half of his alongside theirs I think and break it up to match.

Really looking forward to seeing their responses to the end of the season.

Comment

2.21 Becoming pt1

alley box.
                    Still worrying about Buffy turning into a vampire. A bit surprised by that really, we're only on S2, what are the chances of that. Anyhoo...

Okay the fangirling level over the flashback amused me. It doesn't really meld so well with the angry 'go away' attitude she's had towards present-day Angel since he lost his soul though. She definitely (granted imo) sees him souled/unsouled as too separate. Far more so than Angel does himself I think. But then she hasn't actually seen much of the character and how he responds to his past (although he does talk about Dru to Buffy and presents it as what he did). It'll definitely be interesting to see how she responds to all of this season on his return in S3 and getting to know more about him if she goes on to watch AtS too.

Lots of love for the flashbacks. I really liked her comment when talking about the one dealing with Buffy first being called, "It's not something I knew I needed." She seemed to like finding out Angel had been there from the beginning, although very different at that point compared to when he first comes into S1.

With so much happening in the episode she's clearly really caught up in it all. It's interesting that she felt the impact of Kendra's death for the loss of potential use of the character, I liked that.

Although she's greatly come around to Xander the library scene really bothered her. I don't think the next episode is going to help on that front.

Interesting that she's still wondering if the Angel series could be a prequel so she's still seeing potential to the notion that Angel could die here. Her bet is still on him being resouled though.

Like when I first watched the show after it had all finished, she doesn't have to wait to watch the next episode.

failwhale34
                    As I said at the end of Go Fish, failwhale has posted on Becoming 1 & 2 together but I'm going to stop his reaction at the end of Becoming 1 to watch the two halves alongside the other reactors I'm following. I appreciate that will reduce the comments he's going to contribute to this first half.

I love how huge his reaction was to the argument in the library over re-cursing Angel. Those moments when emotions are so high, when so much is invested in everything that you've seen play out leading up to moments when the group clash and speak out against each other are some of the most impactful and dramatic scenes. I love how much he responded to it all and his comments on what it might have been meaning for Giles just before Xander's blunt statement that Jenny is dead I can see really could have contributed to how Giles responded. Excellent moment.

I'm totally with him that finding out Angel has been watching Buffy for so long is a bit creepy, but with the context of trying to sort himself out and work out how he can fit/help, there is more to it than just a creature of the night/stalking vibe only. That's certainly in there though.

Okay I'm paused at 18minutes for the split off of part 1. I have to say, his experience is more like mine, there was no way I was going to even do what alley box. said and go get a drink. I was straight onto part 2 as well!

I'm not sure flow if what you were thinking about when you mentioned his reaction to Kendra's death was the literal moment or in something that he says after seeing pt2 as well. For the moment itself, I felt like he was very caught up in the drama of the action. He seemed pleased to see Kendra return earlier and if I recall correctly, was quite positive about her as an addition when she had first appeared in the season, so that fitted. Whilst I wouldn't say he was emotionally affected by her murder, he was riveted on the action and the intensity of what was unfolding when it happened. The danger and threat of Dru having shown up making him think that it didn't bode well for Kendra before she was killed. His response at the moment did seem to me to view her death as significant, but mostly as another hit for the group and for Buffy to deal with.

Of course he might comment about it later, but at this moment, limited to the actual visual response, that's how it seemed to me.

Liam Duke
                    "Everything she does is cute." Ooooo, not so much everything in future seasons. Really fascinated to see how he takes the direction Willow goes eventually.

I was concerned he might pop something when Buffy reached down for the pencil.

I really appreciated him seeing both sides when the library argument broke out and that it is complicated. Even if Xander is arguably simplifying the issue as being about Jenny's murder his feelings in the background are in themselves a complicating factor.

Liam's reaction to everything going wrong as the vampires raided the library was great and I really liked that he was immediately questioning if Kendra's death would call another slayer.

Really enthusiastic and I was very amused he also said that it gave him things he didn't even know he wanted to see with the flashbacks like alley box.. Some good intrigue about Whistler and a wish for some answers there.

His comment about liking seeing Dru getting involved I thought was great because the danger she presents since she became strong has in great part remained the same as it was when she first arrived in being connected to her visions until this. Having her walk into the library and thrall Kendra like that, killing her with such ease, really underscores the threat she is at full health in a new way that adds so well into the build up of the finale.

Interesting idea that the focus on Angel's background felt like a test to see if he was a character that could hold his own show. Another who is getting a drink and then watching the next.

van
                    This is a huge reaction for her. After the last longer one I wondered if it would be an extended viewing of her literal reaction rather than more post watch comments, and it turned out it was a bit of both.

I'm not kidding, her response to the whole thing with Kendra actually made me well up. Her later expressed shock and upset at her swift death was really clear on just the visual. But this time after very brief comments at the end of the vid she had a four minute audio reaction she'd added for some extra thoughts too.

Interesting that she wondered about seeing Angel sire Spike after having the Darla/Angel flashback. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how everyone responds to FFL, but it's so far away! At this point, following seeing the Dru flashback too, she's wondering what prompted Angel to choose Spike. I hope she doesn't get spoiled by people's comments on this.

I was interested to hear her take on the library argument. I've not really gained an impression yet of what her feelings are towards Xander but I would have expected her to lean more into distinguishing souled Angel from the soulless crimes than Xander is willing to at this point.

Another reactor linking some of the stalking aspects of Angel's character in with the reveal that he saw Buffy at the time she was called. Highlighting the difference in how together he seems compared to that time though really does link it into the conversation with Whistler about sorting himself out and becoming somebody, gaining purpose I think was how Liam put it. So it isn't framed as just stalking. But I think the ties are still possibly deliberately in there as the scene greatly mirrors Angel watching Buffy patrolling at the start of the episode but also, going back to Passion, when they heard about Jenny's murder and he watched on. The latter works in a great contrast against van's suggestion of being able to see his emotional reaction to Buffy's upset here as her parents argue in the background. His sympathy adds emotional layering. van is very much focused on the positives of what it shows of him to be affected like that here and whilst I don't disagree, and do think there is very meaningful distinction when the vampires are souled, I still think you can also see a connection between unsouled/souled too and this is great for that. These varying scenes and the overall use of them together, generate both separation and also ties between Angel souled and soulless. He's still a vampire. Considering these contrasts has really added to my appreciation for how Angel is portrayed between the flashbacks and within the season and it all adds in to that incredible library scene too.

--

It goes without saying, I'm sure, that I'm really, really wanting to see the reactions to pt2 now. Unfortunately I've struggled to fit in watching Wentworth and Lovecraft before the weekend this week so I'm going to have to prioritise them and unless I can grab odd half hours here and there it might be next week before I can see the reactions for pt2. If I can possibly squeeze them in I will.

Comment

So I've managed to dot the final S2 reactions around other things. It was a little harder than normal as they had all posted larger reactions. Anyway, onwards to the end of S2!!!...

2.22 Becoming pt2

alley box.
                      Her Oz reactions are pretty much how I was and her response to Buffy's statement she had nothing left to lose, although I appreciated why Buffy's feeling so brought down by it all, particularly with what happened with Joyce. And I think alley box. does too. But still, I get feeling that way as a first response.

After wishing for so long that Joyce would be told I think she'd really hoped it'd go better than that. I like her consideration of why it was so tough for her whilst also thinking Joyce was missing the gravity of the situation. That's probably fair as she's focused on what it seems to mean to Buffy. I'm glad she enjoyed the Joyce/Spike scene, it's fun.

Her interjection vid explaining that she wasn't celebrating Xander lying to Buffy but about Buffy going to fight I found interesting. I wonder whether she reconsidered it or was informed by others in comments she'd forgotten Willow had asked Xander to let Buffy know about the spell. I wonder just because the motivation for his lie is then potentially understood and framed more from what others have said than her own pov. I hope it doesn't eradicate her feeling that he was stepping up and helping in the episode too.

A little confused about the ritual needing the blood of the person conducting it, not it being Angel specifically and then spilling blood back kinda pulls you in once it's happening. But the closing isn't explored I suppose and there's a lot that goes on in the episode. Not following something completely isn't a crime.

She clearly found it a rollercoaster. I really like that she gave a sense of her processing time in the edit. No surprise she really felt for Giles and that the trick with Jenny impacted her. Or that Angel being resouled and then 'killed' upset her. Clearly she is separating her hatred for him unsouled successfully. Whilst she's expecting him to be trapped/sent to hell she is still thinking AtS could be a prequel and that there's the possibility that might be it for Angel.

Really enjoyed her response to everything with Willow doing the spell. And I like her uncertainty about Xander's feelings as that's how he's feeling after all.

She said she hoped there would be things to follow on for the next season from here. Oh yep.

failwhale34
                      His reactions towards all the aspects that are illustrating the fallout of the first part of this finale are great. I was surprised there was no specific reaction (at least in the YouTube edit I suppose) to Xander's lie though.

It was interesting that he also felt they could have used Kendra more but saw the logic in how she was used here. I think during the reaction he made some comment about it fixing the slayer anomaly, unless I misheard, so he may be thinking her death removed there being two slayers. Nuh-uh.

He was taken with Whistler so will probably find that a missed opportunity when the character doesn't become a feature and that the plotline of Buffy being on the run from the police will be a dropped element. But I think he's going to enjoy the Snyder element of the next season.

I loved his enjoyment of the Buffy/Spike team up and SMG and JM's interplay when talking to Joyce. The fact he was hoping there will be more back and forth between them in future makes me wonder if he knows Spike is going to be around more. Possibly, I can't remember if he's commented on having any existing awareness of the character before. Possibly.

Interesting that he was somewhat disappointed that Joyce didn't put two and two together. I'll be intrigued to see how he responds to the revelations of Normal Again. I expect it is more likely to bother him as a retcon against this.

His appreciation for the intense moments was great and the situation Buffy's character was in. And as usual he raised some other points that he appreciated in the execution, such as the music.

Great to hear about a building appreciation for the show and interest in what's coming next. He's just so positive about the two-part finale and was so clearly engaged it wasn't a surprise that's how he describes having felt. So many elements praised in his summary. There's a real energy to his reactions to both of the finale episodes and I would definitely recommend both his vids.

Liam Duke
                      Well no one was going to earn prediction points by expecting he'd react to Willow being in hospital. His enthusiasm around her character is as solid as always. Some genuine concern at the spell I think and the possibility of them exploring the effect of the magic on her. Bit of nerves about the possible Xander/Willow relationship hints that he's not so keen on.

Overall a really positive/emotional response and good thoughts on how it builds up for the season to follow. He's just straight expecting Angel to return as he knows he gets his own show.

Interest again in Whistler and more intrigue at Snyder's role and finding out what he's part of. Lots of feeling for Giles and the idea of getting to see Jenny again, even in a vision. I really liked his comments around this.

Having been spoiled that Spike becomes a love interest at some future point he's expecting his return eventually. I liked the credit DB was given too and Liam seeing the added complexity gained for the character through events of the season. I'm glad he likes the humour between Spike & Joyce and Giles & Xander that brought in some fun. Positive thoughts for Joyce moving on from here too and awareness of the 'coming out' aspect for Buffy.

He's just openly very enthusiastic about the show and, here, mostly positive about the fan interactions too.

van
                      Still reeling from pt1, I expected there to be tears here and there were, but less than I thought there might be. She very clearly was emotionally engaged where you'd expect though and enjoyed the relief of humour when it came too.

Her response through the scene between Spike and Buffy when he first stops the cop was just great.

The ending really surprised her. Her audio review emphasised this and the scene with Spike. Her comments about Spike's patience in waiting his time in the wheelchair really interested me as he so often is seen to just be impulsive. But, like many of his most notable characteristics, he can completely contradict himself too and this is a great example.

I was interested that she thought Joyce wouldn't find out until later seasons but appreciated her considerations towards Joyce's perspective in her final comments.

Everyone wants to know more about Synder/The Mayor.

[I've seen that van's vids for Anne and Dead Man's Party are blocked for the UK, so I obviously won't be rejoining her until Faith, Hope & Trick, which is a shame.]

--

So not much response to 'the lie' which didn't overly surprise me when I thought about it. Like many aspects of the show, I have thought about/discussed it far more since joining online fandom and hearing the questions and issues people have with different characters/moments.

There is plenty of appreciation for the final two eps from everyone, which of course you'd expect. failwhale's energy for me was terrific.

I'm still wanting to catch up with alley box. and failwhale, so feel a little put off watching the season summaries alley box. and Liam have filmed as they are both over an hour. I enjoyed listening to Liam's for S1 but it is just the time factor for fitting those in when I'm wanting to catch up. I might stick them on in the background at some point.

I know not many people are commenting at the same time on these reactors or posting on any other S2 ones, but this thread can of course be added to at any time and if I do watch other reactors like After Show, I'll use this thread again. But from here, for these four for me, it'll be a new S3 thread for moving on.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                        Editing a comment
                        I haven't had time to comment but I have been watching (well, listening to) Liam 's reactions along with you.

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's great DD, I'm pleased someone else has been watching them too. I've actually nearly finished his S2 summary which was 1.5hrs long! That/alley box's summaries filled the time around looking to fix the site trouble.
                    Working...
                    X