Reacting to Reactions! - BtVS Season 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reacting to Reactions! - BtVS Season 2

Okay so this is a thread specifically for any/all reaction vids to Buffy Season 2.

I'm going to continue to follow alley box., failwhale34, Liam Duke and van. I'm still trying to catch up with alley box. and failwhale so I'll be going at a fair pace through this season if I can manage it, as they are hitting the end of S2/have just started S3 respectively. I'll post the links and odd comments as I head through the season and anyone is free and very welcome to join in watching/commenting on those too. But the thread is for any reactions to the season if anyone wants to add any particular ones they've enjoyed or the links for other reactors for the season they're following, whether current or old it really doesn't matter.

So, with that being said, let's get into it... Yeet! ( to failwhale there ).

2.01 When She Was Bad

alley box.
    I actually enjoy the time jumps as it just emphasises that the show is going to be about them growing up to pin it with the school years, particularly in the first few seasons. But I can understand preferring stories which don't have chunks where you don't actually see the events that happen between seasons. It can be done very well though, and actually result in emphasising even more the impact of something you saw by seeing how much they have/haven't moved on from it when you rejoin a little time after, and WSWB does that excellently.

Interesting response to Willow/Xander, she seems fairly open to the possibility of them as a couple and I was pleased to feel like Xander was getting a more positive reception from her. A lot of appreciation for the character dynamics which is nice. After those initial comments made to her she still seems really self-conscious about what seems a clear liking of Bangel, it'll be interesting to see if this eases.

failwhale34
    It wasn't surprising he was openly saying he wants to see the show pick up from S1 and he did seem much more energised by this and appreciated how it was building from what had happened in first season. It clearly hit a new level for him. I'm not great for noticing production aspects so it was interesting to hear he felt the budget increase was immediately apparent.

Great to hear love for so many character moments and the potential to come. I expected he'd like the follow up from what happened at the end of last season and he did speak about that as a highlight and praised SMG's performance again.

Liam Duke
    Really liking the Snyder appreciation and the love for the friendships. Again liking the bridge this gives from S1 which really flags an aspect of the show I love the most in how well they tie past experiences into the ongoing story. But if he's glad after one episode of angst that it didn't last forever, S6 might be tough for him. But then that's what it's exploring, so who knows.

He feels very like I did about the possibility of Xander/Willow, although possibly a little more open to it. It was interesting that a couple of people commented on the Buffy/Xander dance scene going on a little too long. Personally I think it had to be uncomfortable for it to hit the notes it needed to in how much she was effectively lashing out. But I don't think that was my perspective when I first saw it.

I do like Liam and he has interesting immediate thoughts, but he does ramble and repeat himself quite a bit.

van
    There's a lot of love for Buffy and Angel here so I'm expecting her to really enjoy this season. The connection to the character moments was great and her jumpiness doesn't get any less amusing.

--
    I don't tend to read the comments under the vids but did see a comment under Liam's that said it was DB in The Master's makeup in this episode. I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      [COLOR=#000000]I don't tend to read the comments under the vids but did see a comment under Liam's that said it was DB in The Master's makeup in this episode. I don't think I've ever heard that before.
      Yeah it was DB To be honest, you can tell it's not Marc Metcalf throughout the episode and particularly in the Giles dream sequence. His face looks slightly 'off.'

I think the S1-S2 jump in production values and budget is immediately apparent even from the opening scene. The camera pans over the cemetery to show the scope of their location (locations = bigger budget) and the stunts and vampire dusting effect is noticeably better. And then in the first scenes at Sunnydale High we're suddenly treated to brand new hallways that we've never seen before, the common room, the stairway etc. These all become commonplace in S2-S3 but pay particular attention to S1 and none of these same hallways exist and they used to walk the same couple of halls over and over again. I'm 99% positive that in S1 they used the actual hallways of Torrance High School and hadn't built any sets for the corridors etc.

The camera work is also far better (crane shots etc) and overall the production just feels 'bigger' (more extras, vampires, locations, sets etc). This is due to S1 being a very low budget midseason replacement series and then getting a major 'glow up' in S2 as the budget increased and it became a bonafide prime time show. They do the best they can in S1, and Prophecy Girl in particular is absolutely magnificent and gorgeously shot, but it is very apparent it's low budget.

I like that Failwhale is aware of this stuff as it's a particular interest of mine as well. I totally enjoy analysing the show from a story and character perspective but I'm also very interested in the production side of things (it factors majorly into what seasons/episodes I like/dislike based) so it appeals to me he's aware of it. Alley also begins to comment a lot more frequently on camera angles and shows an appreciation for the cinematography which is awesome.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I've always really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the changing stunt work too for encouraging me to consider an aspect of the show that can often pass me by, so I am really enjoying his comments on this kind of thing definitely. It's pretty early to know if this'll stay the same, but I think one of the reasons I'm really enjoying watching all four of these together is that they are quite different and whilst Liam I think tends to look at the show more analytically which of course I enjoy, alley box. reminds me more of what I was like when I first watched it more on a surface level but often reads things slightly differently which is interesting. And then failwhale looks at things I don't tend to notice. So it's a good mix.

I had just put the way The Master looked odd in the Giles/Master dream sequence in WSWB to him being in a brightly lit/daytime scene and thought that the makeup just didn't work so well when it wasn't alongside the darker lighting. Finding out it wasn't even Marc Metcalf was really interesting.

Comment

I tuned in tonight for alley box. I am not sure I can follow her through all seven seasons, though. I think she is a very nice and genuine person. I love her enthusiasm. But her editing is not only driving me nuts, but it also makes no sense to me. Is the show not interesting enough to just watch it? Do you have to keep zooming in and out and to tilt sideways to keep your audience focused? I also think a bit less gesturing and fewer Yesssss and Noooooos and Huhs and Hachs and Hos wouldn't hurt either. I am not against exclamations on principle it but it gets a bit too much.

I'll try again for the next episode but it could be it's my last one. Maybe I should give failwhale a chance instead? I will definitely not be able to follow two or even three reactors and I have already arrived at season seven with Liam, but one more reactor could be something I could manage to watch.

flow
          Last edited by flow; 11-08-20, 10:30 PM.
          ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

To be honest, I’ve stopped watching Liam.

Mostly not his fault. It’s partially due to my lack of enthusiasm for S7 and also because he’s made us keenly aware of his ongoing issues with his viewership. I can understand his frustration but the revelation (from the comments he’s made) that he’s no longer excited to post BtVS vids, not because of the show but because of the arguments he’s having, is hard to ignore. There’s an air or unpleasantness about the whole thing that sucks out the enjoyment when you know he’s not happy. I’ve also just never been very invested in his reactions to begin with so it’s easier to drop.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I find him still being enthusiastic enough about the show. I have to admit though that I've never watched every episode and I also only ever watch the shorter YouTube vids and those only for the actual reaction, not hos comments. i also stay away from comments on YouTube.

I have watched failwhale's reaction to When She was Bad.

I have mixed feelings about him. He is kinda cute and I do believe him to be very genuine. However, due to his (young) age and his overall demeanor he does remind me of my eldest son and that feels a bit weird. It also makes me feel quite old. He does say Boofy sometimes which my little one also does, so that's a plus.

flow

................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

I can understand alley box.'s style not being for everyone flow. Generally it makes me smile. I just see it as another way of her emphasising her thoughts and reactions, like Liam's pointedly repeated zooming in on his unamused expression when Cordelia's being, well, Cordelia. It is just that but on helium. Did you ever watch van's reactions flow? If you don't like someone talking during, or being over the top, you can't go wrong with her.

I'm disappointed to hear that Liam has been affected by getting into the comments but, to be completely honest, going by how clearly irritated he was by being told repeatedly that Buffy originated 'the big bad' I think he should have had someone look through them or just steered clear of them. And once it actually started to affect how he felt about the show he should have just stopped reading them. I appreciate it's difficult when he's trying to engage with those that are watching his vids but having experienced going into an area of fandom where I found it stressful because of how people behaved and what I might read, you have to cut out things like that as it does nothing good for your wellbeing.

I've started watching SAQ, hopefully will post on those today at some point but I've got Wentworth 1.02 to write up about too.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                  I find him still being enthusiastic enough about the show. I have to admit though that I've never watched every episode and I also only ever watch the shorter YouTube vids and those only for the actual reaction, not hos comments. i also stay away from comments on YouTube.
                  I think the show itself he's still enthusiastic about. It's unfortunately the fandom that seems to be ruining things for him (or a small minority of it anyway). I have to say, his plea for people to stop telling that he doesn't "get" things (like The Trio or Spuffy) simply because he either doesn't like them or has a different opinion on them really resonated with me. It's been a pet peeve of mine since the reactions began and this is the first time a reactor has outright stated that these attitudes are condescending and bothersome. There's this running commentary that if reactors don't perceive a storyline a certain way or simply don't like a storyline that they're just not 'intelligent' enough, or don't 'get it', or aren't 'perceptive' etc. The simple truth of it is that they just don't have to share our opinions on everything and nor do they have to like everything, either.

I actually shared Liam's feelings on The Trio. I find them very dull up until Dead Things where they become really interesting and then I get bored with them again. I get that in episodes like Life Serial or Flooded they're meant to be lame. The story explicitly calls them lame in Smashed ("Is it just me or are all these things really..." "Lame?" "I was going to go with unusual, but yeah") so it's hardly a secret. But the problem I have is that they're meant to be lame and they are lame... so their scenes are... well lame. And because of that I find them dull to watch. Now, that doesn't mean I don't 'get' what the writers were going for. It simply means I don't like it.

So I get his frustrations. And I really get his frustrations that people are hellbent on *winking and nudging* about upcoming developments because I'll never understood people who just cannot stop themselves despite the person repeatedly stating they don't wish to be spoiled. But knowing he's so frustrated by everything and has openly admitted he's not looking forward to posting BtVS reactions at the moment is just a bit depressing for me and has created an air of negativity around him and his channel whenever I watch it. To be honest, it's not really his fault, but since I never was as invested in him as a reactor anyway it just meant I could kind of drop him more easily in favour for more positive experiences at the moment.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I've found people prompting about what is to come fairly irritating and I'm only at the start of S2! It's enjoyable seeing people responding to things like you did and reliving that first experience, but seeing people's different responses and how their opinions are building and developing is a real appeal of doing this for me. That's why I'm watching their reactions to all of them. I don't tend to read the comments and have only glanced down on really odd occasions because people's comments have been mentioned or, in van's case, to see if she explained the missing S1 eps. I think Liam would have just been better off stopping reading the comments once it started bothering him.

Comment

2.02 Some Assembly Required

alley box.
                      She shouldn't be surprised she felt empathy towards a corpse. I mean he is being presented as having personality, emotions, desires etc. Sure, he was dead but he's animated now. You know, like Angel.

I wasn't going to be surprised by this not being a huge favourite for anyone but was glad she focussed a good deal on the strengths it has in moving a few relationships forward and for the continuation of Cordelia's gradual inclusion. She seemed to enjoy it well enough. Yet another who's going to be torn up by Passion.

failwhale34
                      I've never thought that Angel was intending for Buffy to be jealous in return when Cordelia is doing her 'fragile' routine after she finds the hand in the dumpster. I don't think it was intentional, but I can see that there could have been some satisfaction in it.

Picking up on the continuation of elements across the episodes already is an interesting factor in his response and noticing the slight changes in responses of the characters as they are affected by their experiences already is really good. I'm not sure I picked up on those subtle shifts like that so I'm pretty impressed and it's drawn my attention to them in a way I'm sure will affect my next viewing of the eps at the start of S2 which is great.

I'm really pleased at how this episode is going down. I really had expected a lot more negativity about it. Not that the weaknesses in the premise aren't getting noticed, but the positives are keeping some balance in a different way. How much is that about adjusting to the show and getting invested in the characters though. Is this episode actually any better than Teacher's Pet, for example? There's a thread it that somehow that I'll try to remember to post at some point.

Liam Duke
                      So many hearts are going to be torn up by Passion. It's a guarantee.

Another who's not sure about Bangel. Not that I'm sure the age thing is going to really block alley box. enjoying it and she isn't just conscious/confused about that aspect. And Liam is interested in where it is going but, unless I've missed something, hasn't really said anything specific about any reservations. He's conscious Angel gets his own show though and that would surely affect how invested you'd be about the romance. He is certainly expecting them to not be able to last of course and I don't think I had that element when I saw it and had no idea of the sister show.

I'm with him that the tragedy is where the best beats on this one are but I think Chris is more likely to be even more traumatised from all of this to be honest. One of the most tragic aspects of this episode for me is that the mum is abandoning her other son while she grieves so deeply for the one she has already lost. And look where Chris' grief led him in trying to deal with his alone too.

So is Liam English? He comments on not having science fairs. (Yeah I'm totally rubbish at noticing accents, which is probably part of why DB's Irish one doesn't bother me so much.)

van
                      She really does respond and seem to enjoy the romances. Giles/Jenny and Buffy/Angel are quite traditional romances though, it'll be interesting to see how she is with those a bit more complicated like the upcoming Xander/Cordelia one.

--

I really was expecting to hear comments far, far more damning of this episode. The ep clearly is nobody's favourite, but I thought there would be harsher criticisms. I certainly came to appreciate it a lot more after the rewatch discussions for the ideas and questions of the morality of resurrection, the ties to trauma and how experiences change you, for seeing how people respond and react to each other and also to the effects of popularity. There are interesting things in there for sure. But on a first watch? Not that I hated it, I just think they generally enjoyed it more than I did at first which was interesting in itself.

Comment

Yeah, Liams English alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                          I do like Liam and he has interesting immediate thoughts, but he does ramble and repeat himself quite a bit.
                          That is Liam's biggest flaw in my opinion, that and all the complaining about the comments. I think his complaints are justified (see vampmogs' post) but I agree with vampmogs that they don't make for a fun listening experience. And I agree with you (Stoney) that if they bother him so much, he just should not read them.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Yep, sadly he's his own worst enemy imo and now It's impacted on his view of the series, which is a shame.

Comment

• Stoney
                              Stoney commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It does sound like some fans being obnoxious has played its part though.

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                            Yep, sadly he's his own worst enemy imo and now It's impacted on his view of the series, which is a shame.
                            Probably because his view of the series was wrapped up in the adulation he got.

It's never a good idea for a content provider to have heavy interactions with fans.

Comment

Working...
                            X