Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.06 The Pack

alley box.
    Okay, quite harsh on Xander in this, though partly expected really. Calling him an idiot may be more attributable to something specific in the full reaction I suppose, other than him just being an erratic/hormonal teenager. Though saying he's even more of a creep as a hyena felt like it might have been pressing back perhaps to that possessiveness she'd expressed he should chill out over last episode. It wasn't explained outside of the current hyena behaviour though so I'm just guessing. I can see why someone would react negatively towards the previous instances in his behaviour towards Buffy, but I'd never have labelled it as creepy I don't think.

The Pack is one of my favourite episodes in S1 and I think the presentation of the pack behaviour, the cinematography of them moving and gathering together is great and their behaviour at points is pretty intense. So I do understand why she found it very emotionally charged and some aspects of the threat difficult to take at times. I liked that she referred to the change in Xander having her on edge. The sense of a difference coming over him was obviously there for her, but she did feel that what he was saying could be connected to some of what he truly thinks and feels. I think that is a part at play in there, but not to the cruel levels the remorseless version of him opts for expressing. And I do feel Xander probably does have some awareness of how Willow feels, but I don't think he's consciously trying to string her along but really appreciates her friendship and the security she represents for him. But it's too early in the show for her to get some of the layers in their dynamic yet. Not an episode I think she enjoyed the darkness of much.

failwhale34
    Again the intensity of the bullying and victimisation was really affecting and I think it's part of what makes this episode work so well, because you really feel for the characters being so viciously picked on. Obviously displayed within the plot to such extremes. But failwhale seemed distanced from it again rather than engaged in the moments, saying it just felt weird. So it was no shock at the end that he said it wasn't a favourite.

I do think being taken aback by the darkness in this episode makes sense. I wish I could remember if it seemed jarring to me when I first watched it. I think I was caught up in the visual differences in the body language to convey the pack behaviour that that aspect captured me the most about the episode. That power walk of the group is just fabulous. But it wasn't the themes but the execution for him. The hyenas are a weak spot, but it's a shame that it affected everything that followed for him to spoil the episode as much as it clearly did. To describe it as the low point of the season really floored me.

Liam Duke
    Well at least we had a vote above Teacher's Pet for The Pack here, but another who felt the execution was flawed. I did appreciate that in his summary he suggested there was a lot to unpack within it for meaning and themes, he'd felt the threat and thought it got deep at times. I can't really disagree with the notion it did get ridiculous at times as I think the hyenas were pretty rubbish, but at the end of the day I just like aspects of it miles more than how much I dislike that small factor. I suspect he'd enjoy it more on a rewatch maybe, when the overall idea of the episode wouldn't be new news.

As someone who has really been enjoying Willow and Xander together his consideration focussing on whether he'd support them as a couple was interesting. It was fab that he saw that Xander risked his life for Willow as soon as he was himself again. The wish to see the group deal with what they did is understandable but he's right of course, we won't be seeing them again.

It was fascinating that he wondered if all the meaning that he was seeing within the episode was even intentional. When he said it was a surprisingly deep episode considering it was about hyena possession it reminded me of thinking alley box. was missing some of the themes in Teacher's Pet but that you have to get used to the show mixing serious themes with these plots and I suppose I had just thought that Liam was seeing that from the start yet this shows that he's just getting that about the show now perhaps. And this is for me truly the best thing about the show, that there's so much layered into it so I'm really hopeful he's going to genuinely love the show.

The consideration of what Xander has been through this season already was great. The more he talked the more he seemed to increase his enthusiasm for the episode. So yeah, rather than thinking he'd need to rewatch it to enjoy it more, I think maybe just getting more into the show so he sees how deliberate the themes within it are will increase his appreciation for this episode in hindsight.

I had a look through the comments under the reaction as he'd openly wondered what the consensus was for this episode as he felt it was a 50/50 ep. I literally just glanced and was pleased to see a lot of people saying positive things and remarking on the depth being intentional in the show. Also, that there was positive mentions for the power walk. I was really disappointed noone was wow'd by that. No idea if he reads the comments of course, but I'd love to know how he looks back on this episode now.

van - will be back briefly next episode
    --

I thought the Xander factor would be more of a feature in their comments. What alley box. said did make me wonder if she is building up at least some mild annoyances with the character but she hasn't really expanded on this in her comments, perhaps she has in her full reaction. In contrast there was also some fairly supportive consideration from Liam about all that Xander has been experiencing which was something that I didn't expect but was really pleased to see. All in all though, I was mostly genuinely surprised this was an episode that didn't get emphatic positivity in the responses as it's a season favourite for me.

Comment

I'm briefly going to rant because alley box. showed the freeze framed scene that is the video link on Hulu she was about to access for the episode, and it's the moment of the Buffy/Angel kiss. This kind of thing is massively frustrating. Why spoil the episode events for new viewers? I get that they want to draw people in to watch and are probably banking on it being old news for most people, but I don't think it's fair to choose potentially revealing moments. I do also understand that someone who doesn't know the content of the show/episode might be making these decisions too, but surely that's just an argument for the same general approach of choosing more generic moments. It isn't as bad as the summary on my region 1 DVDs that I luckily bought after watching the show once before. I noticed when watching S6 with a relative that the blurb about the final episodes just basically tells you what happens! Unbelievable. I was always conscious that the episode options in the DVD menus come with a blend of scenes that give clues about the episode ahead and deliberately skipped my relative seeing this on a couple of eps because it was so spoilerish, but the episode descriptions revealing the ends was just crazy. I'm soooo anti spoilers. Anyway...

1.07 Angel

alley box.
      It was fun hearing her theories about Angel before watching the episode and that the possible sources of his information which keeps him arriving with those cryptic clues was part of a couple of them, either as a good guy or for nefarious reasons. I loved her response to Joyce meeting Angel and Joyce's clear 'parent' look at him. alley box.'s confusion over what to think about the whole Buffy/Angel build up just made her reaction to the moment he vamped out after the kiss so much more epic.

She made a comment about Xander in response to Willow's fantasy, "This poor girl, she's in love with a ???" and I couldn't tell what the word was she said but it probably sheds some light on what she's thinking of Xander at this point. It didn't sound complimentary anyway. She does talk later and describes him as a dumbass for not getting social cues, which could be what she'd said earlier too, and this does seem to be fixed on her wanting him to back off from pursuing Buffy when she's clearly friendzoning him.

I can't help but think the extent to which alley box. felt creeped out by Angel and uncertain was influenced by being pulled on the issue of being hypocritical before during Teacher's Pet, but the show openly acknowledges the age difference straight off, so this could be where she would have gotten to regardless. And of course they really do play the 'is he evil?' angle heavily leading up to the reveal in this ep. So she was doubly directed into feeling questioning about it all really.

I think she'll probably come to accept the relationship as she was very pro them at first, it is being presented as a passionate romance, she openly states she likes forbidden love stories and she really likes Angel. But his vampiric age is currently a difficult point for her, even though she loves the characters' chemistry and the writing of the romance. I'm expecting she's just going to need some time to adjust and the focus on them as a romance will pull her back into it. Her concern about people being mad at her seemed absolutely a factor in how she was responding, which is a shame, but also understandable that she'd feel self conscious about it.

With a major reveal and lots to think about it isn't surprising that this was an episode she enjoyed. I really liked that she saw the lead in from The Pack as possibly intentional to help give distinction to Angel's situation as a souled vampire compared to the things he did unsouled. Starting to see how appreciation for the writing is building for her is great.

failwhale34
      This episode seemed to catch his attention and he sees the potential for the opposites coming together of Bangel and was pretty ready to accept they were going to show Angel to be taking a different path, even before the whole soul reveal even happened. It'll be interesting then to see if he stays feeling 'yikes' in response to the romance, because of the immortal/high schooler element, as is his first response at this point.

I enjoyed his focus on the scene with Joyce in hospital, yet still positively considering how Buffy is doing at school and wanting to see her do well. In the past I've been quite critical of Joyce, in the next season especially, but I always like appreciating the characters more and this was a nice reminder of how we see Joyce's uncertainty a lot in S1 but how we also see she's trying and that she cares deeply for Buffy. I'll be interested to see how he continues to respond to hers and Buffy's relationship shifts/moments.

Liam Duke
      So not someone who was as surprised by the vamp reveal for Angel as he said he'd pretty much clocked him as a vampire from the bits he'd seen over the years. Going by the indications he's given that he tends to look for the meaning and themes it makes sense the idea of a vampire gaining their conscience and morality back would intrigue him and he's hoping that the curse/soul is explored further. It's a slow drip of information over the seasons really and I'd be interested to see how he responds to AtS too. Did he start to watch it alongside S4 maybe? I'll have to check.

I like that he seems to be taking a 'we'll see' attitude towards Buffy and Angel's relationship. Not an instant fan but not strongly against it and finding appeal in the tragedy of what keeps them apart. As he knows Angel is getting his own show, his assumption in this element isn't a shock.

van
      Hoorah, we've a van reaction again! Sadly, there isn't another after this until Prophecy Girl. I still don't understand why she opted to skip so much of S1, but on a scan of some of the comments it does sound like she might have watched them all but just not posted reactions to them. You'd have thought that would risk missing people following you. It's strange to me. Anyway, she has done Angel.

But there was not much offered in addition to the literal episode reaction here as she barely talks afterwards to give more idea of what her thoughts about it all are. Clearly she's enjoying the Buffy and Angel romance and there is something quite nice about seeing someone just enjoying it and being caught up in the relationship, but it does keep what is offered to quite a surface level reaction. So I was disappointed she didn't really talk about the episode after, although you could glean her general responses from the reaction itself, and her jumpiness is still pretty funny.

I like what I see of her but to be honest at this point I'm only going to stick with including her because she was fairly well recommended, and especially because I don't think she continues this patchiness over the episode reactions past S1.

--

Of course all the reactors wanted to finally learn more about Angel so this episode being liked was very much expected. And it actually made me re-appreciate the epsiode after finding it a little corny on my last viewing. I used to like it more and seeing first time viewers' responses reminded me why as the drama keeps a steady pace through the episode and the reveals are intriguing as they just raise more questions. It isn't going to win best of the season for me, not quite making top three either, and I still have the same minor irritations with the episode I always had had, but it is definitely a key episode and one of the better ones of S1 and this really did remind me why I first enjoyed it more again, which was great.

Comment

1.08 I, Robot... You, Jane

alley box.
        Yeah she's not seeming a Xander fan. Doesn't understand what Willow sees in him, but isn't saying what she doesn't. If you see what I mean. The only specific thing I can remember her saying seems to be connected to his behaviour with Buffy.

I was disappointed for her that she starts the reaction saying she wants to know more about Willow and then starts her summary saying that it felt like an empty episode. I mean it is one of the weakest of the season, possibly tied for my least favourite, but it isn't empty. She just didn't feel that the episode changed things at all for Willow, that nothing moved from where it started. She wanted a specific result or to learn something new. I can see why it feels like an existing topic but I think the issue of Willow's self image insecurities and shyness does get some further exploration and challenging in the episode. How she is affected by her friendship with Buffy is a really important factor that is considered and will continue to be built on too.

I really had expected the danger of grooming and hidden identities to be something that screamed out to a modern audience rather than just a computer bad vs book good theme as she felt. Interesting that she also referenced the current social situation as a disconnection point as everything is online now. Well I can't criticise her thinking it is weaker and not enjoying it as much, that's fair enough and as I've said before, I'm pretty sure I wasn't seeing some of the themes when I first watched either.

failwhale34
        Okay, I wasn't at all surprised that he found this episode funny and I can understand his uncertainty over how much of the humour is deliberate as he still seems to be laughing 'at' rather than 'with' a fair bit. But I was glad that despite this his overall feeling actually seemed positive. For me the sinister element that runs through and within the themes in the plot stops it feeling like a comedy episode, and I don't think it is the overall vibe they are going for. But I can understand feeling that it is funny as some of the execution/plot does feel somewhat ridiculous in a way that perhaps undercuts the tension.

I liked how intrigued he seemed by Ms Calendar's introduction and how she's written in against the traditional demon hunting/book vibe that Giles brings. And of course he caught the romantic possibility between them too. And in contrast to alley box. felt like he got some serious character points for Willow from it too and what we saw of her relationship with Buffy. So although I don't find it as funny an episode as he does, I like that he's able to enjoy it and describe it as a guilty pleasure.

Liam Duke
        I love that he said it was ahead of its time for considering online predators. And he loved the ending too. I really feel like he gets connected to the themes of the stories really very easily, picks out the messages in the episodes and obviously enjoyed the humour incorporated too. I think you can genuinely feel the affection he has building up for the show and the characters already when he's watching and discussing it. I honestly think he'd continue watching even if he wasn't doing the reactions.

You can tell that he works from some written prompts to trigger his thoughts when he's thinking back on the episode in his summary at the end. Perhaps this is why he seems to more quickly pick out themes and meaning within the plot if he has specific questions he's considering. But his readiness to put himself in the position of the characters and even the temporary/minor ones and really feel the impact of the story elements, like the sinister elements and the tragedy of Dave's faked suicide in this, is great and makes him very enjoyable to watch.

Another liking the potential of Ms Calendar too. Passion is going to break him.

van - she's still a no show at this point.

--
        I've been really quite surprised by the positivity that has been shown towards a good deal of the effects in the show so far and wonder if they are probably more lenient because of the period of the show.

I had hoped to get this posted yesterday so if possible I'll try to slot in The Puppet Show today too. Still trying to keep a good pace to catch up with alley box. and failwhale. I'd really be interested if anyone else feels/felt like failwhale was less convinced by the show at this point too.

Comment

1.09 The Puppet Show

alley box.
          I hadn't seen the Goosebumps(?) episode she refers to but she obviously has creepy puppet trauma, so this episode was not going to be easy. It made watching her reaction more fun though as she tried to guess if it was/wasn't another evil puppet. "Ew, ew, I hear its little feet." Sorry (not sorry ).

I'm not sure at the moment that she's getting the themes woven into the motw episodes so well and the meaning within eps when it isn't very specifically pulling the main plot on. I really wish I could remember how much of the reoccurring aspects such as hidden identities and coming up against corrupted authority I clocked when first watching. But then ties such as the issues of confidence between IRYJ, the performance here, along with the stage fright of Nightmares are all links I think you only really can get with hindsight and/or putting specific thought into it. I'm not even sure I realised how much of such things were there to see and find when I first watched it. So much of this for me has come from discussing the show as we do and looking at it differently, noticing these things afterwards. It'll be interesting to see what the others comment on too in this sense for this ep. Perhaps it's one you just see more in when you come back to it.

Regardless, I'm glad that she enjoyed the episode for itself and the imaginative aspect of the writing and the plot and twists. And as her reaction was just so visual quite often as she was clearly creeped/grossed out by lots of it, it really did make it very entertaining and a fun reaction to watch. And Snyder is here now, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the responses to him as a total change of pace from Flutie.

failwhale34
          Another person who was just quality fun to watch this time. His guessing at who was the killer and visual reaction to the surprises at the different reveals and twists was really entertaining

He didn't have anything really to say in terms of themes but I liked his appreciation for the breadth that they are giving to the supernatural world with all the various elements and examples of motw in the different episodes. I don't dislike this episode but I never would have guessed this one would be so great to watch people responding to!

Liam Duke
          Another person really creeped out by dummies.

It was interesting to watch him swing in extremes. From being really scared by the idea of the killer dummy he then struggled to get on board the idea of the revealed truth as it seemed too ridiculous. It seems the removal of a genuine fear made the reality harder to connect to. It was scary and then it became too silly. I loved his attitude at the start commenting on having heard IRYJ wasn't liked after he'd watched it, because he felt if that's the worst in some people's pov he's in for a treat because he enjoyed it. But then he didn't find a similar appreciation for this one. I have to say I was a bit disappointed he didn't connect to any of the themes, or see meaningful connections. I've just gotten used to him being pretty consistently stronger for this. But that just really reflects how much the twist really threw him out of the moment he'd been having and upturned it too much for him I suppose. Which in itself was intriguing really.

I'm glad he still enjoyed the banter at different moments at least and was amused that he hoped that Snyder would get eaten. But his disconnection to this episode meant he didn't really seem to draw much from it at all and had nothing to really say this time. Perhaps he'll dwell on it some more afterwards, who knows.

van - not with us again yet.

Comment

1.10 Nightmares

alley box.
            Her uncertainty through this is great. It's easy to forget what it is like to watch it unfold, not knowing where it will go. It made me think, the mix of trying to decipher what is real and what isn't is quite like that confusing moment sometimes on waking up from a nightmare. I don't think I'd ever considered that before.

How enthused she was about the episode was fab, and with so much appreciation for the individual character moments that were worked in for everyone.

And she's producing fan pieces for tiktok! That's just adorable. I've virtually no idea what tiktok is (I mean I've heard the name, but I thought it was to do with dancing?!), but I love that she is getting inspired by BtVS.

failwhale34
            I really like that he stopped the ep to talk about what his total nightmare would be, ha.

He seemed quite taken with this episode although he's still often appearing to find there's a line for him when the premise goes too far. I think I know what he's getting at, but it can feel like it is the later points in the episode where the stakes go up or the intensity of the emotional pulls are brought forward more. That everything was getting worse the longer it went on made sense contextually I think with that fear of being trapped in your nightmares. The build up just before you wake. So I'm not with him on this occasion, it works for me.

He really drew on the individual insecurities that were shown though, it's the obvious highlight of the ep, and really liked the inclusion of Buffy's dad and the fears she holds about her relationship with him/her mum that were revealed. Even though he felt the episode meandered a bit in the second half, he seemed to connect to the emotional weight given for the characters in what we saw.

Liam Duke
            Not keen on spiders then.

Not surprised he was taken with this too, it's one of the best of the season. Really pleased he noticed the link between Willow's stage fright and last episode and really liked his observation about the premise against the reveal of the coach. His likes as you'd expect really in relation to learning about the characters. Episodes that delve into people's fears and insecurities are always particularly gripping I think, even if you don't relate to them yourself.

His fun/flippant, "isn't suffering fun, isn't it entertaining" amused me because yep, there's a whole heap of that threaded through BtVS. It was nice to see him more caught on the wider meanings again.

van - not until ep12.

--
            It has interested me how you get the occasional comments about aspects of the show being quite dark. Issues like Dave's suicide in IRYJ, the little league coach here. I know the later seasons did take a different tone overall but I've liked being reminded by these reactions that the show took some darker turns you might not have expected right from the start and never tried to avoid topics that in themselves can be quite unsettling.

I'm really interested to see how they all respond to Cordelia in the next episode and especially as the scene with her/Buffy talking about being popular and being alone is one of the stand out moments for me in S1. It was the episode that really caught me on my first watch as the character that I'd just been dismissing as superficial, as you're led to have been, suddenly gained layers I didn't expect. It's almost a contrast to that aspect in some shows when they talk about no one having plot armour, anyone can die. Everyone can have hidden depths and it's this aspect of the writing in BtVS that I adore. The villains can be explored, the highschool bully, the seemingly dismissible background characters. Everyone is the star of their own play. It'll be fun to watch.

Comment

Yeah, it gets more addictive when you know they're heading up to episodes you love and big moments.

1.11 Out of Mind, Out of Sight

alley box.
              The vampire bat gag is funny, she was right to laugh. And how much is she swoooooning over Angel! Very good fun to watch.

The appreciation for the use/absence of music was a terrific point. Can't wait to see her watch some of the other eps now. Her energy over this episode has really just made me want to continue watching her reactions to the show. I might just have to put Prophecy Girl on sooner.

failwhale34
              It's great to see the really enthusiastic reactions but I have to say as much as I feel failwhale stays distanced from the moments and plots a little, he does question and critique in interesting ways probably because of that. Hearing someone's thoughts on where things don't work so well for them, and what they think could have worked, gives a bit of variety to the viewing. His idea of how else they could have supported Marcie being ignored I thought was interesting. We did get a touch of it with the teacher ignoring her too, but it was an interesting idea and I would have liked the possible cameos of characters already lost.

I really got the feeling he was dwelling on this one a bit more and offered some interesting thoughts.

Liam Duke
              Shame again that comments he's been getting about his response so far to Cordelia has been a little bit spoilery, basically telling him that what comes should change his perspective. I really don't think I could participate in the conversations that the reactor is going to see if people are regularly this casually thoughtless. I appreciate it doesn't seem he has been told any specifics but the whole point of why you're watching surely is to see this person's genuine reaction. Not to hint and prepare them for things to come. I understand that people often have others checking through comments for them and I hope that he gets that or stops reading them.

The 'going darker than the actual episode' moment really made me smile a lot. I love hearing the guesses that people make about what is going to happen as they're going along. I'm not aware of doing that as much when I watch, but maybe I do. Obviously the times they get it wrong are always the best.

Plenty of appreciation for the premise, the themes, where they linked up through the episode, the social commentary and the darker aspect of the emotional strains people experience from the reactions of others. Very enjoyable to watch and hear his response to this one.

van - is back with us for the finale!!

--

I really enjoyed all of the responses to Cordelia's development in this one. And the extra we see of Snyder and how they are responding to him too. The mix of wishes and expectations of whether the Marcie/FBI elements would return was really interesting to hear too as it is often a quoted plot point that some fans wish had been expanded.

Comment

1.12 Prophecy Girl

alley box.
                The anticipation of what the finale might bring prompting a preamble of ideas and directions she was dwelling on was pretty entertaining to begin with.

The blend of supernatural and real life issues really works for her I think, she just seems really genuinely taken by it all and excited to be watching it. I know reactors could obviously play up their reactions to be more entertaining and that's definitely played a factor in what has put me off them before, but even if she is, her enthusiasm is delightful to watch and quite infectious. I often want to fully rewatch an episode after watching her and it does make me inclined to think of subscribing to her Patreon.

I don't read Buffy's laughter when hearing the prophecy the same as she does, but I like that she feels emotional impact in the scenes and that she's considering back over the season when looking at where each character has come to. I think alley box. is more plot and character focused in her responses than automatically giving much thought to the overarching themes and metaphors which failwhale and Liam do more of. I think I was very like her on my first viewing in this way, even if we don't always see things the same. Whilst I took time to appreciate Xander I never had any issue with him asking Buffy out I don't think. Although I can see her perspective that a relationship coming out of a friendship can take a good deal of time, I think Xander's wish to ask Buffy out before they get deeply set in the rhythm of a friendship makes sense too. I always thought Chandler and Monica was an awkward shift, so I think you can see it both ways. I took Xander asking as really originating from a wishful place, but that it was understandable. I'm hoping that she doesn't get too down on him for this that it puts up a barrier to seeing the great qualities in the character and his development. I know I didn't appreciate him as much on my first watch, but I genuinely love Xander now.

I'm really expecting her to get very gripped by S2 as so much focus is on Angel and she's clearly a fan.

failwhale34
                I really feel for Xander. I think Buffy handles it really well and he doesn't, but I still feel for him even though he does react badly. I agree it was clear she didn't feel that way, but I can understand him wanting to try for it. It's tough on him, but also for Willow and Buffy too and this is part of why it's so great that they are all still able to pull together when needed, including Xander going to Angel. Going from failwhale's open reaction to Xander's snipe about seeing Angel as a person his response to the Angel story of S2 will be interesting.

As failwhale mentioned struggling with how dark the lighting of the original was when he first switched from the HD it was really interesting to hear him declare the remaster would have ruined the sequence with Buffy/The Master. Appreciating the created tone of the moment.

I'm glad he liked it overall and had a good deal of appreciation for the character beats in the episode and the emotionally tense moments and how the season tied up and linked to earlier parts too. I hadn't really thought about how little of the season really builds into The Master as the season threat. Of course it runs alongside the themes of the season and the social structures/hierarchies fantastically but with only 12 episodes and a lot of monster of the week ones in there, the general story for The Master and his plot remains fairly thin. It kind of matches to how readily he's dispatched really, so I can see feeling that it was too easy.

The first season seems to have gone down well overall and I like the credit he gave to SMG. A bit of a need still for suspension of disbelief perhaps for how much stays hidden in Sunnydale and how the group shakes off some of their experiences. But he likes the combination of humour and quips with tension and serious moments and perhaps he'll roll more with the need to party after stopping an apocalypse one or two more down the line. ‚Äč I expect he'll really appreciate seeing more of the emotional toil the experience of this finale has had on Buffy at the start of the next season. Really looking forward to his response to 2.01.

Liam Duke
                I really liked that he expressed sympathy for Xander, not that he was suggesting Buffy should have responded any differently. But that he was able to empathise and then appreciate Xander looking to go and help later and the interactions with Angel. I know I've probably seemed obsessed about this aspect, but a more critical anti-view of Xander is a side of the expected modern perspective of the show I've heard a lot of people talk about so was something I was really expecting to stand out. I've been pleased to actually see some real variety in the reactions to Xander so far here. Liam probably being the most positive and openly stating he likes him and the one liners/humour he brings, often bringing the biggest laughs, even though he isn't ignoring the issues in some things Xander does too.

He hadn't seemed as caught up in the emotions of it all the same when watching this time to me, apart from the scene with Joyce. But his comments afterwards were very positive and focused on the emotional moments and interactions between the characters. And I like that he enjoys the wider cast as much as he does. Appreciation for the tied through elements and the overall writing are always nice to hear. I think he has genuinely enjoyed the show and am interested to see his ongoing reactions.

I listened to his overall season review too and wasn't surprised he seemed a little tired of being told the show gets better because of course he's coming at it from the pov of only having seen this season and he's enjoyed it. He also seemed a bit irritated by the abundance of people that had told him Buffy invented the term 'big bad' as I'd glanced at the comments to Prophecy Girl and the first bunch all were saying that, pointing out once is enough and that he's a newb after all felt reasonable. Watching how it unfolds for people watching it for the first time is the point after all, no? That really has been one of the things that stood out to me in trying the reactions, that people can't help themselves. But as I've said before, my unlike of that is unsurprising, as I'm so anti spoilers. Even if it is without details it can still affect someone else's response. I'd understand more if he was considering stopping, but he's seemed appreciative and enthusiastic throughout, even for parts in episodes that didn't overall work as well for him. I liked his general thoughts on the season themes, the deep effect the fate of Principal Flutie has had on him, about the balance in the writing and how the characters relate.

I'll be really interested in particular to see his response to The Wish and the brief return of The Master and that glimpse of what he'd intended if he'd survived longer. I did enjoy hearing bits of how his thoughts have developed as he's dwelled on the episodes further and the themes within them, what he thinks of the character dynamics at this point. His comments at the end of PG and in his overview goes to show too that you can misread the reactions, as the finale that I thought he seemed less caught up in was his season favourite. It'll be interesting to continue to see how he develops.

van
                I wonder if everyone emphasising to her that S2 is 'the real deal' is why she didn't bother posting reactions through S1. I still don't get this decision, although it could have all been to do with technical issues which she said had happened in the comments of one of the earlier reactions if I remember correctly.

After seeing her enthusiasm when she thought Xander was going to ask Willow out, seeing where she's at on that by the relevant point in S3 would be interesting. Particularly with how much their history plays its part despite their other relationships.

I really like that she didn't talk a lot during this, didn't feel the need to, and just watching her reactions to key moments is entertaining. But I wish that she'd offer a bit more about her thoughts on reflection at the end. Perhaps she does on Patreon, but her BtVS vids there seem to start from 2.17. Hmm, I do want to see more of her and I like how different she is to the others that I'm watching but I don't feel like I'm getting a lot of insight into her internal musings. As I proved with my seemingly incorrect feeling Liam wasn't as engaged by PG, you can read people wrong and it would be good to get a little more verbal to go with her visual responses.

--
                Heading on... This has been a nice group to watch because they are quite different in their styles and what they focus on. I want to watch van's YouTube reactions for S2 as I've not really got to see much of her this season and I do want to continue with the other three as well. I'm still hoping to catch up with failwhale34 and alley.box., with where they are currently viewing too, so I'm likely to try to keep up the pace on this. alley box. seems to nearly be up to the end of S2 (having just posted 2.19 on Patreon) and failwhale is on to 3.01 on Patreon. Liam, who has also gotten way further like van, only has overall season reviews for S2 & S3 with individual eps starting at 4.10. So I'm assuming they drop some content after a time on Patreon and that's why his start at 4.10 and van's at 2.17. I'll probably try alley box.'s Patreon, but failwhale's is considerably more for a membership level that accesses BtVS, so I'll probably stick with the YouTube reactions for him for now. I'm not sure.

Also, I'm not sure whether to carry on watching/posting specifically about these four here when others aren't following at the same time. Or, whether to start a S2 thread separately for them, or perhaps even just create a general S2 YouTube reactions thread, where other reactors could also be added to it too. It just might make it that bit easier for people to join in or pick up on specific reactions they might want to see if it's at least split by season. Or feel like they can add in information about new reactors they've started if there are specific season threads.

Comment

Okay as there isn't anyone else specifically watching these at the same time at the moment I think I'm just going to open a general BtVS S2 YouTube reaction thread. I'll keep going through these, but rather than restricting it to the four I'm following it'll mean others can add any other reactor links for S2 that they'd like too.

Comment

I think we all have certain episodes that we look forward to the reactor getting to and Prophecy Girl is my first major one. Thus far, it seems to win everyone over remarkably well and I love their reactions as the series really flexes it's muscles for the first time. To be honest, I've always adored this episode but watching reactions to it has really made me appreciate it even more.

In regards to Van, I honestly couldn't recall her skipping so much of S1? Is it possible her episodes have been taken down due to copyright issues? I could just be remembering wrong but I always thought she reacted to every episode. The only reactor who I can recall skipping episodes was TorchWood Boy.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I was really looking forward to them watching The Pack and was surprised how marmite that seemed to be for them and OOM, OOS especially, and that really delivered on how each person positively appreciated Cordelia's character getting some depth. PG is a great episode and one you'd really expect to get a lot of appreciation and be enjoyable to see people respond to. But I really am intrigued to see someone's perspective growing and so going through all the eps, even those less likely to have specific points of interest, is still interesting me.

van put in the comments under her YouTube reaction of The Harvest that her episode 1 reaction got blocked and she did purposely skip episodes in S1 (but from a later comment I think she means doing the reaction vids, not that she didn't watch them), but she would only skip in S2 if she had technical problems. From what I could see there was only one episode of S2 missing. But none of it is on her Patreon anymore until 2.17, although there are YouTube reactions before that. It'll be nice to see her responses to more consecutive episodes as I wasn't really able to glean a lot for the ones she did cover in S1 other than I think she's going to love Buffy/Angel.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                        Liam, who has also gotten way further like van, only has overall season reviews for S2 & S3 with individual eps starting at 4.10. So I'm assuming they drop some content after a time on Patreon and that's why his start at 4.10 and van's at 2.17.
                        But all his individual episodes are on YouTube, here's When She Was Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L244Ws68rDU

I suppose they're shorter than on Patreon but that only makes them more efficient to watch (especially if you're mostly watching for his analyses at the end, like I am).

https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                          But all his individual episodes are on YouTube, here's When She Was Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L244Ws68rDU

I suppose they're shorter than on Patreon but that only makes them more efficient to watch (especially if you're mostly watching for his analyses at the end, like I am).
                          Yes I know the YouTube ones are still up and I'll stick with those, I was just weighing up which if any I might consider watching the Patreon reactions of and found that it isn't an option for Liam until later. I wouldn't have time to watch the full reaction for all of them, it was just that there isn't a choice for all.

I have watched his YouTube reaction for WSWB now and started a S2 thread for these four and any other reactors anyone wants to post on for that season.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

Yes I know the YouTube ones are still up and I'll stick with those, I was just weighing up which if any I might consider watching the Patreon reactions of
                            Oh, I didn't get that.

I've been listening to Liam's S2 reactions and haven't finished with them yet. So at some point our viewing/listening might overlap for a bit. I can't guarantee I'll find the time to react to your reactions to reactions though...
                            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                              I've been listening to Liam's S2 reactions and haven't finished with them yet. So at some point our viewing/listening might overlap for a bit. I can't guarantee I'll find the time to react to your reactions to reactions though...
                              It is hilarious really.

You don't need to react to me anyway, you can just post about any you like when you watch them. And other S2 reactors as well. I'm going to go through all the S2 eps for the four I'm following, but the S2 thread is for anyone to post about S2 reactions generally.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                                Double Dutchess commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Liam Duke is the only reactor I'm following (at my own pace). We'll see!

• Stoney
                                Stoney commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Sure as and when anything occurs to you or a particular ep grabs you.
                            Working...
                            X