Buffering Interview with Marc Blucas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffering Interview with Marc Blucas

Marc Blucas seems like a nice guy. It's not his fault how he was written or his lack of chemistry with Buffy. That's more on Joss and the writers imo

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2EO...RA2CSKvaO4SVww

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Marc Blucas auditioned to play Buffy's new boyfriend--the boyfriend she has after Buffy/Angel and instead of Buffy/Spike. His lack of chemistry with Sarah Michelle Gellar is his fault.

Regarding how he was written: see James Marsters and Juliet Landau in BtVS S2. See Eliza Dushku in BtVS S3. Acting and screen presence is the only reason Spike, Drusilla, and Faith are popular. Angel was a creepy undead stalker who turned eviler after he had sex with Buffy. Buffy in BtVS S1 and BtVS S2 would have preferred to be with a human boy.

Riley had to favorably compare to Parker Abrams and Spike. And outside of being spelled, "Who Are You" (B 4.16) is arguably the first time in BtVS S4 that Spike shows sexual interest in Buffy, and "Superstar" (B 4.17) is arguably the first time in BtVS S4 that Buffy would perhaps consider Spike may have sexual interest in her.

And Nicholas Brendan managed to play a better and more convincing soldier than Marc Blucas did. And Xander was a private in the Army or something. Riley was supposed to be a very elite Special Forces team leader.

Comment

• BtVS fan
      BtVS fan commented
      Editing a comment
      No it's not his fault. That's down to Joss. He makes the casting decisions.

I want to listen to this interview, but I don't. I am cringing already. I really don't like Buffering's interview technique, which is basically fawning. They embarrass me. But I will psyche myself up and listen at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I want to listen to this interview, but I don't. I am cringing already. I really don't like Buffering's interview technique, which is basically fawning. They embarrass me. But I will psyche myself up and listen at some point.
      They are saved by Blucas himself. At one point they do gush over a story about him meeting someone on set. He points out that what he did was very minor and isn't very huge.
      He is open and honest and can't remember stuff and doesn't rewatch it nor does the convention circuit. It's worth a listen.

Comment

Yeah I'm a fan of Blucas. Years back he ended up quietly visiting a children's cancer ward that one of my old friends was working in. My mate (who was a big Buffy fan back in the day) thought he came across as a really lovely guy.

Comment

He's really funny - swears like a trooper. He knows he was green as hell when he got the role, and he just wishes he had known more about acting. He had some great stories about the show, and some funny one about life in general. This is the best interview they've done mainly because they barely had to ask any questions. I am not a bit Buffering fan but I loved it!
          Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
            He's really funny - swears like a trooper. He knows he was green as hell when he got the role, and he just wishes he had known more about acting. He had some great stories about the show, and some funny one about life in general. This is the best interview they've done mainly because they barely had to ask any questions. I am not a bit Buffering fan but I loved it!
            He says he was Green but I don't think the issues with Riley were ever his acting, which was fine. More how the character was written and the lack of romantic Chemistry as the love interest of the On screen lead.

Comment

I always thought his chemistry with SMG was fine, whatever that means anyway *shrugs*

"Chemistry" is such a subjective thing. I'm not even convinced it as much to do with the actors themselves as I've seen these people in other shows and they can be incredibly forgettable and bland (JM and Charisma in Supernatural) despite being superb as the characters they play on BtVS. I'm not convinced SMG/DB and SMG/JM would automatically have "chemistry" again in a different story and playing different characters. IMO it has a lot to do with the person they're playing and how they characters respond to each other on screen.

I just never watched SMG/MB and thought "wow they don't work together at all." They played off each other very differently than SMG/DB and SMG/JM but they were meant to. I never found them unbelievable in their scenes together and I thought they found their own unique rhythm that worked. That's pretty much all I need.

And I agree that his acting was fine. I genuinely can't think of a single scene where I thought his acting was bad. It wasn't, like, incredible to me or anything, but I was never distracted by him in a negative way and he handled what I imagine to be the tricker scenes (like Riley's drug withdrawals in Goodbye Iowa) very believably IMO.
              "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

I think they had a similar chemistry to SMG and NB. Their banter worked. It would have been fine if they hadn't always tried to play the couple as hot'n'heavy. Like the first love scene. It would have been fine if it was done normally without the cuts to the polgara demon. Is Buffy dodging the demons pokey bit intercut with a love scene supposed to have some subtext/

Comment

I think MB is selling himself short, he was always decent at worst. Agree that he seems like a really fun and kind guy.

As for the chemistry issue, of course people are judging chemistry in relation to the show, not as an absolute. I think MB and SMG had good comedic chemistry (the Initiative) and some good banter, but I they lacked romantic/sexual chemistry, and I don't think it was because they were written that way ; as HardlyThere says, they tried hard for the Buffy/Riley pairing as the new hot and steamy thing, but it never works. Their sex scenes feel awkward and their kisses mechanical, when the writers were clearly intending for those scenes to be sexy and attractive.
                  What a challenge, honesty
                  What a struggle to learn to speak
                  Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Comment

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

RESPONSES TO THE THREAD:

* At-most, you can argue it’s Joss Whedon’s fault that Riley Finn didn’t have chemistry with Buffy Anne Summers—you cannot argue that it’s Joss Whedon’s fault that Marc Blucas didn’t have on-screen chemistry with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

* Marc Blucas not doing the convention circuit is arguably simply because he’s not a big enough draw—most of the viewership didn’t like Riley Finn.

Even people worth 8-figures like Eliza Dushku and Alyson Hannigan have done conventions (it’d be very surprising if James Marsters also wasn’t worth 8-figures). And David Boreanaz has done conventions.

And at the other end you have someone like the guy who played Clem and the gal who played Kennedy doing conventions (probably always with bigger names).

* Marc Blucas’s acting was a problem simply considering Nicholas Brendan played a more convincing soldier than Marc did. And Xander was only a private in the US Army and Riley was supposed to be a top Special Forces leader.

-- Sidenote: It’d be a problem for David Boreanaz and James Marsters if Nicholas played a more convincing evil male vampire (Vampire Xander was pretty much a ‘copy’ of either Angel or Spike or a combination of both).

* On-screen chemistry is only subjective to a point. Marc Blucas arguably had less on-screen chemistry with SMG than she had with her one-episode love interests and less than she had with Tom Lenk in BtVS S7.

And the sex scenes: it’s a HUGE problem for Riley/Marc Blucas that somehow Faith-Buffy’s flirting with Spike is much better and much hotter than Faith-Buffy’s scenes with Riley Finn.

-- Moreover, Riley is supposed to be Buffy’s long-term boyfriend after Angel and instead of Spike. Then we see “Pangs” (B 4.08), “I Will Remember You” (A 1.08), and “Something Blue” (B 4.09). And somehow the sexiest scene in BtVS S4 is Faith-Buffy’s flirting with Spike (“Who Are You? (B 4.16)).

Sidenote: There was always around zero Spike/Cordelia in the Buffyverse. Literally the most there ever was Cordleia’s being flattered by Spike in “In the Dark” (A 1.04).

* SMG/P and David Boreanaz and SMG/P and James Marsters likely still have chemistry in real life. And those rumors…

For what I remember, SMG didn’t like Marc Blucas and Marc noticeably wasn’t in that Entertainment Weekly reunion thing.

* I’m not sure having okay acting is okay when your character is essentially the de facto male lead of BtVS S4. BtVS S4 revolves around Riley Finn. Buffy essentially replaced Giles with Professor Maggie Walsh and replaced the Scoobies with The Initiative. And Spike is barely in BtVS S4.

It’s not great when the highlights of BtVS S4 have nothing to do with Riley Finn and around everything bad about BtVS S4 is because of Riley. Riley’s even the worst parts of “Hush” (B 4.10). The highlights of BtVS S4 are Spike and Willow/Tara and Buffy/Spike. And Faith.

* SMG had better chemistry with Nicholas Brendan than she did with Marc Blucas; albeit SMG never had to kiss Nic and never did any ‘love scenes’ with Nic.

-- The point of “The I in Team” (B 4.13) is that Buffy was ‘hot’ and horny from the slaying and so has sex with Riley. It’s not a good sign for their relationship.

* In BtVS S4, except for David Fury and maybe Steven DeKnight (if he was a writer in BtVS S4), ALL of the BtVS writers were pro-Buffy/Spike. Douglas Petrie liked both Buffy/Spike and Buffy/Riley but seemed to prefer Buffy/Spike.

It doesn’t seem Buffy/Riley was actually supposed to replace Buffy/Angel and it doesn’t seem it was ever supposed to make Buffy/Spike never happen.

The entire point of “Something Blue” (B 4.09) and “Who Are You” (B 4.16) was to have Buffy/Spike scenes. Buffy/Spike had been set up since “School Hard” (B 2.03).

Buffy/Riley was a placeholder to try to extend the series. Buffy/Angel lasted only 3 Seasons and Joss didn’t seem to actually want BtVS to end in BtVS S5. So, Buffy/Riley in BtVS S4 and Buffy-Dawn in BtVS S5. And then the paydays of BtVS S6 and BtVS S7 and the aftermath.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                      I always thought his chemistry with SMG was fine, whatever that means anyway *shrugs*

"Chemistry" is such a subjective thing. I'm not even convinced it as much to do with the actors themselves as I've seen these people in other shows and they can be incredibly forgettable and bland (JM and Charisma in Supernatural) despite being superb as the characters they play on BtVS. I'm not convinced SMG/DB and SMG/JM would automatically have "chemistry" again in a different story and playing different characters. IMO it has a lot to do with the person they're playing and how they characters respond to each other on screen.

I just never watched SMG/MB and thought "wow they don't work together at all." They played off each other very differently than SMG/DB and SMG/JM but they were meant to. I never found them unbelievable in their scenes together and I thought they found their own unique rhythm that worked. That's pretty much all I need.

And I agree that his acting was fine. I genuinely can't think of a single scene where I thought his acting was bad. It wasn't, like, incredible to me or anything, but I was never distracted by him in a negative way and he handled what I imagine to be the tricker scenes (like Riley's drug withdrawals in Goodbye Iowa) very believably IMO.

I disagree slightly. I do think chemistry exists. You even have Doug Petrie on the Initiative commentary saying they had to be careful about Riley and Willow as the chemistry between them was good.

Iv always felt the writers, sometimes quite obviously, giving the character outs for responsibility on certain actions never helped when it came to audience sympathy. You had the drugs making him do things/he had no idea about the hidden agenda of Maggie despite being her right hand man etc. That reached a peak in AYW which seems to resolve him off everything he did in S6. The writers never seemed to realise this won't endear him to the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                        All caught up

RESPONSES TO THE THREAD:

* At-most, you can argue it’s Joss Whedon’s fault that Riley Finn didn’t have chemistry with Buffy Anne Summers—you cannot argue that it’s Joss Whedon’s fault that Marc Blucas didn’t have on-screen chemistry with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

* Marc Blucas not doing the convention circuit is arguably simply because he’s not a big enough draw—most of the viewership didn’t like Riley Finn.

Even people worth 8-figures like Eliza Dushku and Alyson Hannigan have done conventions (it’d be very surprising if James Marsters also wasn’t worth 8-figures). And David Boreanaz has done conventions.

And at the other end you have someone like the guy who played Clem and the gal who played Kennedy doing conventions (probably always with bigger names).

* Marc Blucas’s acting was a problem simply considering Nicholas Brendan played a more convincing soldier than Marc did. And Xander was only a private in the US Army and Riley was supposed to be a top Special Forces leader.

-- Sidenote: It’d be a problem for David Boreanaz and James Marsters if Nicholas played a more convincing evil male vampire (Vampire Xander was pretty much a ‘copy’ of either Angel or Spike or a combination of both).

* On-screen chemistry is only subjective to a point. Marc Blucas arguably had less on-screen chemistry with SMG than she had with her one-episode love interests and less than she had with Tom Lenk in BtVS S7.

And the sex scenes: it’s a HUGE problem for Riley/Marc Blucas that somehow Faith-Buffy’s flirting with Spike is much better and much hotter than Faith-Buffy’s scenes with Riley Finn.

-- Moreover, Riley is supposed to be Buffy’s long-term boyfriend after Angel and instead of Spike. Then we see “Pangs” (B 4.08), “I Will Remember You” (A 1.08), and “Something Blue” (B 4.09). And somehow the sexiest scene in BtVS S4 is Faith-Buffy’s flirting with Spike (“Who Are You? (B 4.16)).

Sidenote: There was always around zero Spike/Cordelia in the Buffyverse. Literally the most there ever was Cordleia’s being flattered by Spike in “In the Dark” (A 1.04).

* SMG/P and David Boreanaz and SMG/P and James Marsters likely still have chemistry in real life. And those rumors…

For what I remember, SMG didn’t like Marc Blucas and Marc noticeably wasn’t in that Entertainment Weekly reunion thing.

* I’m not sure having okay acting is okay when your character is essentially the de facto male lead of BtVS S4. BtVS S4 revolves around Riley Finn. Buffy essentially replaced Giles with Professor Maggie Walsh and replaced the Scoobies with The Initiative. And Spike is barely in BtVS S4.

It’s not great when the highlights of BtVS S4 have nothing to do with Riley Finn and around everything bad about BtVS S4 is because of Riley. Riley’s even the worst parts of “Hush” (B 4.10). The highlights of BtVS S4 are Spike and Willow/Tara and Buffy/Spike. And Faith.

* SMG had better chemistry with Nicholas Brendan than she did with Marc Blucas; albeit SMG never had to kiss Nic and never did any ‘love scenes’ with Nic.

-- The point of “The I in Team” (B 4.13) is that Buffy was ‘hot’ and horny from the slaying and so has sex with Riley. It’s not a good sign for their relationship.

* In BtVS S4, except for David Fury and maybe Steven DeKnight (if he was a writer in BtVS S4), ALL of the BtVS writers were pro-Buffy/Spike. Douglas Petrie liked both Buffy/Spike and Buffy/Riley but seemed to prefer Buffy/Spike.

It doesn’t seem Buffy/Riley was actually supposed to replace Buffy/Angel and it doesn’t seem it was ever supposed to make Buffy/Spike never happen.

The entire point of “Something Blue” (B 4.09) and “Who Are You” (B 4.16) was to have Buffy/Spike scenes. Buffy/Spike had been set up since “School Hard” (B 2.03).

Buffy/Riley was a placeholder to try to extend the series. Buffy/Angel lasted only 3 Seasons and Joss didn’t seem to actually want BtVS to end in BtVS S5. So, Buffy/Riley in BtVS S4 and Buffy-Dawn in BtVS S5. And then the paydays of BtVS S6 and BtVS S7 and the aftermath.
                        I agree I Will Remember You and Something Blue both episodes together really hit B/R hard and ironically both were unintentional by the writers.

Steve Deknight was Season 5 not 4

I think Riley wasn't invited to the Buffy Reunion simply because he was not a popular character with the audience no other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

I think Riley wasn't invited to the Buffy Reunion simply because he was not a popular character with the audience no other reason.
                          Did he confirm he wasn't invited ? Also, I don't remember, but was Eliza Dushku also not invited or was she busy ?

Anyway, it's too bad, he deserved a spot as much (if not more) as Seth Green or Charisma Carpenter.
                          What a challenge, honesty
                          What a struggle to learn to speak
                          Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Comment

• BtVS fan
                            BtVS fan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That was just a guess on my part I admit

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

I disagree slightly. I do think chemistry exists. You even have Doug Petrie on the Initiative commentary saying they had to be careful about Riley and Willow as the chemistry between them was good.

Iv always felt the writers, sometimes quite obviously, giving the character outs for responsibility on certain actions never helped when it came to audience sympathy. You had the drugs making him do things/he had no idea about the hidden agenda of Maggie despite being her right hand man etc. That reached a peak in AYW which seems to resolve him off everything he did in S6. The writers never seemed to realise this won't endear him to the audience.
                          Chemistry like a lot of things is pretty subjective. When it comes to such things, a writers opinion isn't necessarily any better than anyone else's.

Eliza was not invited. That's what she said. I don't know if EW ever gave an official reason, but it was suggested because she wasn't a huge part of the show the same way the other characters were. Except for Wes, of course. If this is true, I can believe Marc was not there for similar reasons. He was a regular for 2 seasons and also not all that popular.

Comment

Working...
                          X